Where did you get your automotive knowledge, Veeky Forums?

Where did you get your automotive knowledge, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

bentleypublishers.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

by getting a shitbox in need of repairs and then fixing the stuff that was broken.
Haynes manuals are a gift from god when you're new to the car repair scene

ChrisFix, EE and S C O T T Y, occasionally I just search things around the interweb.
I also repair my merde-mobile on my own

>merde mobile
it'd better be a twingo

Restoring kingswood utes with my dad

Ford Focus

I live in a busy city and park my car on the street, I have nowhere to work on my car and don't know any mechanics so I have to cuck out and pay garages to fix my car.

Bentley manuals, lots of Youtube videos, and forums (the ones about specific makes usually have really good DIY threads, helpful tips, and hard to find info you may need). I fixed things as they broke and bought tools as the requirement arose.

Are you claiming to own a bentley?

Mostly self taught, i started tinkering before youtube was a thing and relied on forums a lot. I also had an autisticly smart shop teacher through high school and learned so much from him. My dad sparked my interest when i was young, he's not really a mechanic but likes to tinker, but he's a bit of a hack

bentleypublishers.com/
Nope, it's a publisher that has the same name as the car maker. I like them better than the haynes manuals.

Owning and maintaining my old bmws and from being interested in technical stuff since young.

>I like them better than the haynes manuals
Yeah, they're more in-depth imo.

College, Argo software by Electude, textbook, online corporate training.

And too a lesser extent, older mechanics, trial and error, Veeky Forums, Powerblock programming on SpikeTV when I was a kid.

Just last night I did a self study program on occupant protection systems and learned the actual design and implementation of the various types of safety belts and airbags. Like the sensor that tells the computer your seatbelt is connected is a simple reed switch with magnets on either side of it. When the belt is latched one magnetic is pushed away allowing the contacts to close the circuit.

i learned almost everything i know about cars from researching stuff to win arguments on Veeky Forums

Neat, now I know that too. Don't you mean that it pushes the magnet away causing the circuit to open though? A magnet being pushed away closing the circuit seems contradictory to the image.

you can become a master mechanic with only a few videos and an afternoon.

Way to be misleading you moron. You have to buy the experience dlc and that takes minimum two days if you're rushing through it

Bought an old V6 Camaro and built it from the ground up. Whenever i came across something i didnt understand id look through online fourms

I don't have any automotive knowledge I just pretend to

/thread

t. all of Veeky Forums
THREAD

Buying a $500 truck as a DD. Fix it or walk/take the bus.

>actual learning
auto shop and the internet
>how to throw tools and get mad like a pro
thanks dad

Originally my dad. Then when I realized he's been teaching me wrong, Chrisfix, RX8club, driven by madness.

My dad likes to buy shitty cars just to make them nice again and takes pride in the fact that he saved them from the junk yard, I’ve learned a lot from him

My uncles are both mechanics, and ever since I was young I've helped them work on cars. I learned a lot of basic stuff from them, brakes, changing oil, etc. For more complicated stuff, I usually either read the Bentley/Haynes manual or the dealer manuals (Toyota BGB is the greatest). Also for a lot of cars with a good enthusiast community, there are writeups online for any common jobs.
The rest?
I just undo the bolts and replace shit and put the bolts back where I found them. Once you kind of get the hang of fixing things you just kind of do it, from what I've found.
>how to throw tools and get mad like a pro
Made me kek

When I was sixteen, my stepdad bought me my grandparents old blazer with a busted engine, the Haynes manual for it, and a tool kit.
He taught me how to diagnose and fix just about everything on it.
Now whenever I want a new car, we go out looking for something with some small problem and work on getting it back up.
We've replaced heads, manifolds, axles, transmissions, brakes, just about everything short of full engine rebuilds. Nowadays I do most of the work and ask him for advice if I'm having trouble with something.
We actually went and bought a 2005 Civic coupe sunday night and I'm replacing the rear brakes, o2 sensor and radio this week.
>his face when he tried to teach his real son all this, but the boy just threw a fit when he gave him a toolbox and now he doesn't even know enough to change his own oil

I bought 11 years old as my first car. I think that's all I need to say

Father, internet forums, repair manuals, hands on work, and actively searching for info about different shit so I can learn in my free time.

An AE86 and a FSM.

Logurt is that you?

My father restored Mopars

the internet and e46 forums

A combination of life experience and YouTube videos.

are you me?

>Where did you get your automotive knowledge
On my car

I was born a genius anyways due to my genetics. I practically invented shitposting anyways.

Haynes/Chilton/Clymer/etc. manuals.

I still suck at fixing cars though. Maybe when I get one that wasn't falling apart when I got it I'll do more to it.

No cool stories about growing up working on cars but I am going to trade school for automotive and diesel. Also apprenticing at a shop as well. Learn more at the shop than the school but the school definitely helps to understand further and helps with job opportunities

That depends

My community college offers a beginners auto class, has anyone ever done one of these here?

I studied the car.

>Best guess for this image: blond
who

>not knowing Cara

from this image

That’s a weird name for a dude

>dude
No weenie there

unfortunate

My poppa, the internet and just common sense.

if you remove something you should put it back together the same way it was before.

My first car was 20 years old when I bought it and the one I have now is 23 years old.

Why would you buy a car that as a precaution needs almost literally everything replaced to begin with?

It started when I modified RC-cars (legit ones, not toys) at the age of about 10.
At 14 I wrenched on a moped.
At 15 on a small motorcycle.
At 17 on my car.

By actually working on bikes and cars

Because they don't. As long as the engine and transmission are fine everything else is expected to fail and be replaced
Don't do the princess on the pea and ignore cars because muh age

By being exceptionally poor living in the rural part of the state. Literally everyone out here can fix their shitboxes.

Diagnosing on the other hand has taken longer than simply replacing parts. Replacing parts requires the ability to follow instructions. A little bit of mechanical reasoning helps.

Years ago I'd take my shitbox in whenever I had a problem, get a free quote after they diagnose it, then head home and replace said part myself.

>mfw my father is a god tier mechanic but refused to teach me a thing because he wanted me to get into college and become a professional instead of a blue collar guy
>mfw he picked up a practically destroyed 70's Jaguar E type and got it running, but chose to work on it whenever I wasn't home

I'm in medical school now so his plan worked. I peruse Chrisfix and other youtube dudes so I can do really basic shit, but it's not the same.