Hey, any of you remember the guy who bought the 500 dollar 2000 Honda Accord off of craigslist...

Hey, any of you remember the guy who bought the 500 dollar 2000 Honda Accord off of craigslist? Yesterday my luck took a dramatic downturn.

So I've been trying to get it registered, pepboys told me it needed new wipers and that they wouldn't approve it without power steering, which they wanted me to replace for $1,630. I replaced the wipers and took it to another place.

The second place also told me that the power steering locked up, but also claimed they could smell exhaust in the car and that was another no no. However they then went on to tell me it also needed new wipers, the very thing I'd just replaced at the last place. So I said thanks and left.

I contacted some family and found a reliable mechanic and was going to take my car out of town to see him. He'd said he'd tell me what all was wrong with it, let me pay him in payments, etc. On the way out of the last place though the front of the car smacked into the pavement. It dipped on the way out. On the way home the engine started making rattling noises.

So I start driving it to the other mechanic, and maybe two miles from my apartment the car dies. Whatever that bump did, the car doesn't want to start now. Luckily I'm insured, so I had it towed back to my apartment. I live next to yet another mechanic and he's offered to look it over, but he only speaks spanish and I don't know how I'm expected to compensate him or whatever.

Also like an hour ago this wall storage unit with some of my collection stuff just decided to randomly suicide and fall apart off the wall shattering into a dozen pieces and destroying a good chunk of my collection that was sitting on top of it. Just a random aside adding to how shit my luck is at the moment.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Engine-Assembly-HONDA-ACCORD-3-0L-V6-00-01-02-109K-MILES-FREE-SHIPPING/152829862262?fits=Year:2000|Make:Honda|Model:Accord|Submodel:Coupe|Engine - Liter_Display:3.0L|Trim:Coupe Coupe 2-Door|Engine:3.0L 2997CC 183Cu. In. V6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated&hash=item23955ea176:g:TkMAAOSwlptaND0o&vxp=mtr
ebay.com/itm/98-02-Honda-Accord-OEM-complete-engine-motor-short-block-with-pistons-J30A1/201328199975?fits=Year:2000|Make:Honda|Model:Accord|Submodel:Coupe|Engine - Liter_Display:3.0L|Trim:Coupe Coupe 2-Door|Engine:3.0L 2997CC 183Cu. In. V6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated&hash=item2ee0188927:g:UlMAAOSw~oFXMMxq&vxp=mtr
ebay.com/itm/98-02-Honda-Accord-OEM-engine-motor-BARE-cylinder-block-V6-J30A1-3-0/122184636372?fits=Year:2000|Make:Honda|Model:Accord|Submodel:Coupe|Engine - Liter_Display:3.0L|Trim:Coupe Coupe 2-Door|Engine:3.0L 2997CC 183Cu. In. V6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated&hash=item1c72c597d4:g:Qp0AAOSwzaJYA70M&vxp=mtr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>how not to own a vehicle: the blog

What was my mistake, exactly?

All of them

Did you seriously buy a $500 car expecting it to not need work?

>buy $500 shitbox with no mechanical knowledge
>going to pay a mechanic to carry out simple repairs that cost more than the value of the vehicle
>going to a non white mechanic
Fuckin lol

do you by any chance live underneath a ladder, walk through a black cat shelter on the way to your workplace, where customers bring you mirrors for you to shatter?

It was running fine before, and from what I've been told the places I took it to inspect it were likely trying to rip me off. Just bad luck of not finding a reputable place.

It's not starting now because it dipped and this damaged something or knocked something loose or something. I'm hoping the mechanic next door can look at it tomorrow, but if not I guess I'm limited to contacting one of those craigslist "mobile mechanics".

>bought a $500 20 year old car

>tfw bought 1997 Buick of craigslist for 1500$ and it runs like a champ and probably will for another couple hundred thousand miles

>the car smacked into the pavement
>the engine started making rattling noises
>two miles from my apartment the car dies
You lost your oil and ruined the engine. Stop throwing money at this shitpile now.

shouldve bought a ranger

But I mean, given that it's a manual 2000 Honda Accord, shouldn't it be cheap to fix?

>car runs for two miles without oil
>That's not too bad is it?
nice b8

uh sure dude, if $500-1000 for a whole new engine is "cheap" to you.

The engine is destroyed, the car already sounds like a massive pile of shit, you might still be able to get $500 back if you sell it to the right person. Get rid of that shitbox before it costs you more money, take the $500 and buy a yearly bus pass. Cars are not for you.

>tfw paid $85 for a '99 Miata and drove it over 15,000 miles with no problems

when people talk about cars being "cheap to fix" they usually mean "if you do it yourself". A mechanic will find a way to make more money off labor when the parts cost is low. There is no benefit to buying a car that is "cheap to fix" if you are going to pay another person to do it, they will assume you are an idiot and try to fuck you, as you have discovered.

>bought the 500 dollar 2000 Honda Accord off of craigslist
Why would you do that? I'd understand if it was a valuable car, but an accord is essentially an appliance. Do you buy junkyard fridges?

I didn't have a car, I needed a car, I didn't have a lot of money, I don't know a lot about cars.

Oh but hey, ignorance is no excuse right? Someone not sharing your specific interests is reason enough to squat and screech and shit all over them oblivious to how ironically retarded that makes you look, right? I am so sick of this idiotic elitist attitude pretending every god damned person with a problem is some irredeemable idiot. Grow the fuck up.

A car is a car.

You can still attack cornes at 50mph, trail brake, and rip the hand brake, all day.

>I didn't have a car, I needed a car, I didn't have a lot of money, I don't know a lot about cars.
then buy a cheap but well functioning car? You're mad we call you an idiot because you exactly acted like an idiot. I'm not sure you're in the US but the sensible choice would have been putting 800-1200$ for a little car with no issues.

One of those 50cc Chinese mopeds costs 500 new and they can last a while. I had one that lasted me 15k miles.

>then buy a cheap but well functioning car?
THAT'S WHAT I DID.

This is the car you guys helped me fucking pick. I posted like a dozen options, the car was chosen by Veeky Forums as my best option because it ran well and I was told it was a reliable car. It ran fine until yesterday. Then pulling out of a mechanic, it dipped onto the pavement, scraped against it, and stopped wanting to start.

Would replacing the oil fix it...?

I bought a $500 2000 mitsubishi lancer, and that was relatively okay.
admittedly it only had 3 working cylinders, and I ended up doing an engine and transmission swap about a week after buying it, but I managed to get the engine and tranny for $200.

No you dumb cunt, you seized the pistons to the cylinder wall, and the rattling was the sound of the piston bearings being eaten alive.

That car will not run again without a new engine.

NEVER DRIVE A CAR WITH NO OIL YOU FUCKING MORON

This isn't esoteric car nerd shit, everyone knows cars need oil to operate. You are an irredeemable idiot for continuing to drive a car after it starts making sudden loud noises, and you should have stopped and checked the underside IMMEDIATELY after hitting the pavement. Jesus, I get out and check if I just scrape my bumper leaving a parking lot.

How did it "dip" into the pavement?

Also the less money you have the more resourceful you should be. Learn to fix things yourself and stop looking for handouts. Be your own man.

I am a trained automotive technician. Everything in your engine that spins is completely destroyed and will never work properly, even if you do get the piece of shit to turn over. At the bare minimum you will need a new engine block, new pistons, new rods and bearings, new camshafts, cam bearings, and possibly new head as the heat from the lack of oil has probably warped it.

The metal shavings created by the destruction of the bearings are currently coating the engine's insides and will quickly destroy any replacement parts. The entire engine will need to be replaced.

It was a reliable car, it would have been reliable if you hadn't been a sperglord and gunned it out into the street hard enough to bottom out on a curb transition. Now it's junk. Good work.

Probably an aggressive curb transition combined with OP going too fast on worn out shocks.
I imagine he was pissed after being given the run around by that shop, but it's no excuse for careless driving.

Post pictures of dipstick wiped on a clear, white towel.

Post pictures of undercarriage, more specifically what came in contact with the ground.

What about idiot lights on the dash?

Are any of these what I would need to replace...?

ebay.com/itm/Engine-Assembly-HONDA-ACCORD-3-0L-V6-00-01-02-109K-MILES-FREE-SHIPPING/152829862262?fits=Year:2000|Make:Honda|Model:Accord|Submodel:Coupe|Engine - Liter_Display:3.0L|Trim:Coupe Coupe 2-Door|Engine:3.0L 2997CC 183Cu. In. V6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated&hash=item23955ea176:g:TkMAAOSwlptaND0o&vxp=mtr

ebay.com/itm/98-02-Honda-Accord-OEM-complete-engine-motor-short-block-with-pistons-J30A1/201328199975?fits=Year:2000|Make:Honda|Model:Accord|Submodel:Coupe|Engine - Liter_Display:3.0L|Trim:Coupe Coupe 2-Door|Engine:3.0L 2997CC 183Cu. In. V6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated&hash=item2ee0188927:g:UlMAAOSw~oFXMMxq&vxp=mtr

ebay.com/itm/98-02-Honda-Accord-OEM-engine-motor-BARE-cylinder-block-V6-J30A1-3-0/122184636372?fits=Year:2000|Make:Honda|Model:Accord|Submodel:Coupe|Engine - Liter_Display:3.0L|Trim:Coupe Coupe 2-Door|Engine:3.0L 2997CC 183Cu. In. V6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated&hash=item1c72c597d4:g:Qp0AAOSwzaJYA70M&vxp=mtr

user just replace the whole fucking engine.

This is why i wont buy a car without an oil gauge

Probably right...

No sympathy for stooges

First determine what the problem actually is.

Check oil. Any metal fragments?

Does the starter turn the engine over?

What collided with the ground?

You'll quickly learn everyone here automatically always assumed the worse case scenario.

Yep, if yours is the V6. Talk to your mechanic to see if you can ship it directly to him, then get the lowest-mileage one you can. You may also be able to find one locally for cheaper.

Go to a wrecker.

Find your engine.

Buy said engine on a pallet,taken to your closest mechanic.

Lube your ass up so mechanic can get his payment.

Limp home with a working car.

Protip: buy a ranger

Dem mommy titties

You ignored the good advice of the people who actually knew what they're talking about and it backfired hard. Do you honestly expect for people to pity you after that? Grow up, and maybe the next time you ask for help you should actually listen.

user, you can find v6 accords all day long in the junkyard pick an engine for ~400 bucks and try to fix your mistake

>tfw want a 90s mx5 for a weekend car but even 300,000km shitboxes cost >$5000

Buying a fucking Japanese car. Stop falling for this bullshit. Buy a crown Vic and enjoy maintenance free driving until you can afford a real car.

at least the CV has a big metal frame bar over the oil pan so you can smack it on the pavement as hard as you want

This. Also I can't believe you're letting these people meme you again lol op. Ur car might be fine. Does it turn over?

read the thread faggot, it's siezed hard and the bearings have exited this mortal coil. Trying to start it will only do more damage.

I bought a 950 dollar -97 accord with 220k miles on. Sedan with the low compression f-engine.

I still think it was a good deal. It's fukken mint condition and if the engine shits out on me Imma swap in the high output h-engine. I live in europe doe so cars are bit more expensive here.

>
>read the thread faggot, it's siezed hard and the bearings have exited this mortal coil. Trying to start it will only do more damage.
At no point did OP mention the engine doesn't crank. Simply said it won't start.

There's a difference.

Ur a troll lol

He drove it long enough for it to stop working on its own, it is seized.
OP doesn't know enough to carefully drive do you think he knows the difference between cranking and starting?

ITT: OP buys a $500 car with no power steering, tries to use his oil pan as a cheese grater on a gutter, pisses oil all over the street, and powders every bearing.

OP, I know how you feel. It's the worst feeling. This is part of car ownership. Sometimes, it's just fucked and you can't really fix it. There's a point where it doesn't even make sense to try fixing it.

Check the oil. If there's oil on the dipstick, you *might* be fine. Then try to crank it. If it turns but doesn't start, you're slightly more likely fine.

If it's fucked, call a junkyard in the morning and tell them to come pick it up and give you $200. Use $50 of that to get real drunk and then get a PPI done before you buy a car next time. Maybe look into an aftermarket skid plate next time too...

It sucks, but shit happens. At least you didn't get hurt.

What I'd give to hear the howling laughter of the mechanics at that shop when they saw the huge trail of oil coming out of OP's car.

You paid $1,600+ to get the steering fixed and cars need oil to run.

But probably drained out and Pep Boys fucked you, just like that curb on your oil pan.

Seriously, sell the accord and buy a cheap chinese scooter like said or one of the slovak ones from the 80s. The latter will last you basically forever and the former will probably last you 20k with no maintenance