Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/LARP
youtube.com/watch?v=gDup6EFWWmk&list=PLZPnIqXhjUwYqmBTpmGRpKTiJjilgitwA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendel_Period
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like the mosquito

Thats a new one, i never seen them before

>implications this bold

So between hyperventilation and being deaf, how do you wipe off the sweat stinging your eyes every .5 seconds?

But I suppose Crusade larpers don't ask that question cause it's not like they've been to the gym and sweated in the past few years

>So between hyperventilation and being deaf, how do you wipe off the sweat stinging your eyes every .5 seconds?
You get used to it. Also, a bandana helps
>t. guy that has decades of experience with being sweaty under a fencing mask

It might look cool in your videogames but that's as far as I'm willing to comment on it.

Frightening.

Iconic as fuck and probably the best of its time.

///

Anyway, real talk and not obscured by videogames, I don't think anything beats this.

Ah yes the penis helm

>let me nitpick why this is a poor design despite it being commonly worn in war for centuries

What is larp? and to be fair, if it was a bad helmet they wouldent have worn it for centuries,

was it commonly worn for centuries? was it just popularized in illustration? was it popular? amongst whom? for how long? are there any contemporary accounts on its effectiveness?

larp is passive aggressive term for historical reenactors, commonly attributed to people on Veeky Forums or /pol/ obsessed with particular times of western history, ala crusades or wehrmacht, particularly SS or Heer, you rarely see people obsessed with the Kriegsmarine or Luftwaffe

now you are just acting retarded, if it wasent a popular armour they wouldent have made ilustration and statues of ppl wering them, ex the holy orders and common knight wore them

ok, ty so larp is basicly dressing upp?

>passive aggressive term

Nigger, it's just an acronym.

The real problem with the crusader bucket was the flat top. Blunt trauma to the top of the helmet went straight to your skull/neck instead of being deflected.

LARP is not an "aggressive term for reenactors"
It's "live action role play."

1d4chan.org/wiki/LARP

dressing up AND pretending

Live
Action
Role
Playing

Simple and memorable.

>if it wasent a popular armour they wouldent have made ilustration and statues of ppl wering them
I don't think you understand history user, people who made the illustrations copied them from other illustrations, not personally seeing them

>having such irrational disdain over a piece of armor that you actively deny it's existence

What's it like being this autistic?

>user i want to go crusading n shiet, but im too poor to buy any decent armour, also i got this shitty bucket
>say no more senpai

nice taste senpai
KEK

This helmet.

pic related with a face coif mail was pretty rad

>being so buttblasted someone's questioning his boner for buckets

Calm your autism kiddo, you're reaching r9k levels for no reason

Satanic Quints don't lie.

deus vult niggers = bucket-heads

Vendel period was straight pimp.

Shit quality, but...

>Vendel
>vandal

I aint no historian but I'm sensing something

I like how it almost looks like a balaclava-type mask, jihad swag

>shit quality

Are you referring yo the pic or the helmet? Cause I would love to know more about medieval Arab armor

My go to helmet shall forever be the visored barbute.
Aesthetic and practical.
Panty dropper extraordinaire.

this

Strong chin
Weak chin
No wonder it took the Arabs so long to evict the euros

too bad it's not historically accurate

anyone who knows what Rome is could tell you where this helmet is from.

Reminder: Burgonet>Morion

Other great mentions: sallet, armet, and bascinet

That's not medieval Arab armour. That's Early Modern period Ottoman armour.

Medieval Arabs wore chainmail with padding under and clothing over.

Morion is best open helmet, burgonet best closed helmet.

Says you, satan.

Lobster bois where we at? Pike and Shot was the most aesthetic period of warfare.

No it's the burgonet.

Nice goggles.

I like helmets with masks, the psicological effect that was fighting something like a living statue must have been something.

Italian armorers deliberately strove to create the impression that you were fighting a machine -- a sort of medieval Terminator. They called it the 'machina anthropomorphica.'

Impressive.

floppy hats

I wonder who could be behind this post?

youtube.com/watch?v=gDup6EFWWmk&list=PLZPnIqXhjUwYqmBTpmGRpKTiJjilgitwA

Oh it is a horrid helmet. Hard to see and breath. The thing is if you know you may take a lance in the face it'll save your life. Really only a useful helmet for a horseman.

>visored
>barbute
choose one

Explain the filename

>Kriegsmarine
Sorry we don't belong to your gay club, gayboi.

There are lots of Wehraboos on Veeky Forums.

The bascinet with the pig face visor is my favorite.

If you post a flat-top helm then your taste in helmets is awful. Honestly, does anyone know why they switched to flat-tops during the crusades?

Fine choices.

Imagine being so gay that you see penises when you look at greek helmets

How can it look so menacing even when it is a bucket shape. Asshole religious fanatics looking so edgy and cool.

>those engravings

Ottoman helmets were patrician as fuck to be fair.

Can't read the writing but engraved Koranic verses in Islamic art/architecture/engineering are usually related to the object in question (a well will be engraved with a verse about water) so this one is pretty much the medieval Islamic equivalent of BORN TO KILL or I AM BECOME DEATH

>he thinks that armour remained unchanged for centuries

Further proof that Veeky Forums knows fuckall about history

>despite it being commonly worn in war for centuries
except it wasn't. it was used just couple of decades and that's exactly because it was a shit design.

Saying that an iconic type of helmet wasn't anywhere near as popular in the actual middle ages as it is amongst modern movies and reenactment, isn't denying they existed.

Great helms quickly turn into sugarloafs, probably due to the flat top being retarded. Sugarloafs then turn into bascinets and bascinets split off into armets and sallets depending on preference and budget. No one particular style stayed in use for for than a few decades, without undergoing some of evolution or transformation.

The way larp is used on this board is definitely passive aggressive as fuck.

Because a flat top ignores the entire point of plate armour, which is to have a curved surface for a blow to slide across and away. A flat surface is just going to take the full force of the blow, directly into the wearers skull.

It's why literally every other helmet, from sallets to brody helmets to construction workers helmets, feature rounded or pointed tops in some way.

I like these brimmy ones

>Out of my way savages

Can you even see properly through those slits? Doesn't seem practical

I think you mean the hound helmet

Can you ever?

Savages wore morions too my man

you didn't answer that guys's question

>can't read

Don't worry, most arab speakers probably can't read half of it either unless they know the quote by hearth. Islamic calligraphy can get to the level of Black Metal band logos.

Fuck, read it as switched from rather than to.

Probably because it's significantly easier to make a flat sheet as the top of the helmet rather than curved. You start with a flat sheet anyway and just need to bend the sides for the rivets. Even today most reenactment and museum costume helmets are made in two parts and welded together, because making a helmet skull out of one piece of metal by hand is a ball ache, despite the array of extra modern tools and techniques available.

Hounskull anyone?

technically with modern techniques a one piece metal helmet would be incredibly easy, since we have specific presses. However, I'm assuming most smiths don't have the money to shit for a press.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendel_Period

you can se that the slots are quite wide

:^)

Bellows visored helmets are pretty cool.

i have a pic of a original greek hoplite, and many historian agree they looked like this

Whatever this is called is the most aesthetic

that's a norman italo helmet

Forever and always