Telling by the sound, how can you tell an engine is supercharged?

Telling by the sound, how can you tell an engine is supercharged?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Nj2WP1a5ikI?t=120
youtu.be/mS-YlmXlz1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=fHRX3Uzppv4
youtube.com/watch?v=n9VJCtqtnsI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

*WHINE*

A “whoosh!” Kind of windy sound.

A supercharger works like a vacuum, sucking air in to produce more energy for the engine to work harder and faster

Sounds like a whining sound sucking air in.

>Sounds like a whining sound sucking air in.
So it sounds like a woman?

No, women suck a lot more than air.

ReeeeeeeeeEEEEE

NewFag autist here, how is a supercharger different from a turbocharger? Both force-feed the engine more air right?

super feeds air in from the front of the car, before the engine does stuff, a turbo feeds air from the exhaust back in to give the engine more air

so super is faster initially and turbo kicks in later once you're going

belt-fed vs exhaust-fed

supercharger is powered by the crank, turbocharger by the exhaust gases

A more serious question would be

Can only V8s be supercharged?

blower whine or blower surge

no.
the fact is that only i4's can be supercharged. and a v8 is just 2 i4's.

Everything can be supercharged. Supercharged 4cyl is fun.

Anything can be supercharged. However since superchargers are parasitic by nature they don't really make sense on small displacement engines. A big V8 can barely feel the added supercharger.

I think people supercharge V8s only because of the sound.

The only reason you don't see i4s supercharged that often is mpgs. Because turbos kick in later companies made I4 turbos because it can still get good mpg when under the turbos full spooling, but when you start wanting to redline then you will actually use the turbo and get that power

Uh no. It's because the torque of a big V8 and the torque and instant response of a supercharger are glorious.

In the end superchargers are better for racing purposes over turbos, but not for DD and racing

what's stopping you from having both at the same time, and how redundant is it

that's a TWIN TURBO and it's fucking awesome
youtu.be/Nj2WP1a5ikI?t=120

*twincharging

woops, thanks

it's hard to tell if it isn't a roots type supercharger

So basically a supercharger in the front and a turbo in the back?

i feel like most of the posters ITT are just baiting.

Why the fuck in every race most cars with supercharged engines are muscle cars? Most of those modified Honda Civics and Scion FR-Ss have turbos instead of a supercharger?

Those 4bangers are too weak and soyish to spin a supercharger. A turbo with anti lag is making almost full boost at idle.

The supercharger on a Top Fuel dragster takes more power to run than a race spec Ford GT produces.

youtu.be/mS-YlmXlz1Y
After 2:40 for in cab noise

youtube.com/watch?v=fHRX3Uzppv4

Small engines like turbos better, you cold probably make a really good supercharged 4 cylinder if it was like a 2.4l or a really high Rev limit

Here’s a twin screw supercharger diagram. You can see it connects to a pulley driven by the crankshaft, which turns the screws. This creates compression, pushing air into the intake manifold, allowing more fuel to be burned in a single stroke of each piston.

Benefits:
>instant torque boost at any rpm
>more revs=more power
Drawbacks:
>takes some horses from the crankshaft, which leads to lower efficiency despite still having net power gains

Supercharger
>ReeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Turbo
>Pshhh dodododo Pssssssssssssssssssssssh dodododo

Turbos sound so cute

And here’s a turbo. How it works is as the engine turns, it spits out exhaust, and the turbocharger uses that compressed exhaust gas to drive a compressor turbine to put more air into the cylinders, similar to a supercharger, except without the crankshaft pulley.

Benefits:
>provides higher peak power
>very little horsepower draw from the engine, if any
Drawbacks:
>can only work at certain rpms depending on design due to different volumes of exhaust gas produced at different rpms (too little and the turbo won’t spool, too much and the turbine can’t keep up with the flow rate)

it's also worth pointing out that a supercharger will deliver power immediately, whereas a turbo needs time to spool up meaning the power curve is all wonky and the car is generally more difficult to drive
although with a modern turbo you'll barely notice it unless it's been detuned like in Honda's 1.5t

Lmao fucking no. You have it completely backwards.

Superchargers are great for the street and for a daily because you get that boost throughout the power range. So you can punch it at 2000rpm and you're already in boost.
Turbos are great for the track because even though they don't make more power down low, they don't have parasitic losses on the engine which means at the same amount of boost, a turboed engine makes more power on a Dyno. You don't need that low end on the track because you're probably keeping the revs between 4000 and 7000rpm so you're always staying in boost.

not redundant at all, you get a linear boost from a supercharger and a sudden surge from a turbo, so if you never spool the turbo enough for full boost you at least have the added power from the super

just need to figure out the plumbing so that the supercharger doesnt pressurize the turbo outlet when its not spooled

It sounds like haaaaaaoooooooo ooten oooooooo

Im sure someone posted it already, but the Lancia Delta group B rally car was famous for it....some crazy shit was done before group B rally was shut down for killing too many people

When it sounds like this. The high pitched whine.

youtube.com/watch?v=n9VJCtqtnsI

Superchargers give more direct power, so if you have to take a turn when you down shift and floor it out of the Apex, you get more direct power, turbos if you downshift and you are below fully spooled, oops u got no power. Superchargers are not good for street because as previously mentioned you get worse mpg because you get the forced induction right away. Companies aren't going to make a 4 bander supercharged anymore because of the worse mpg on the street

Stop talking about shit you have no clue about.

Yes, turbos are better for companies because of the MPGs because you have no boost down low and they need to meet federal fleet MPG requirements. BUT most car enthusiasts don't give a shit about MPGs and would rather have power at their disposal all the time. Superchargers are better on the street for car guys.
If you're downshifting and getting out of boost on a track you're a terrible driver or your car is set up wrong. In a properly setup car, a driver should be able to stay in boost all the time on the track.
A turbo Miata will beat a supercharged Miata around a track everytime considering they are running the same boost and everything else is equal. I mean, MCM literally already did this.
The supercharged car will be more fun to drive on the street because you can punch it while rolling out of stop sign and already have power where a turbo won't.

>turbos if you downshift and you are below fully spooled
This depends on the size of the turbo. The same shit can happen with a super charger

>Turbofag trying to start a shit throwing competition
What's new

One of my favorite cars in the Supercharged AW11. And you know why it was supercharged? Because that was a time when Toyota didn't need to give a single fuck about MPGs and they knew the supercharger would be better ON THE STREET.

Superchargers make nice tabletop dyno sheets.

>there wasn’t an oil crisis throughout the 80s that made everyone super conscious of mpgs
>the 2nd gen Camaro got detuned to a pathetic 180hp for no reason
>Toyota didn’t decide to say “fuck it” and put a supercharger in anyway

Well that turbo is going to lose its boost as soon as you lift your toe off the throttle, and takes a moment to come back once you’re on it and in gear again. Sure, it’s marginal, but that’s why drag cars are supercharged, they lose no acceleration power when they shift gears.

Check out Volvo's Poles tar engines

Whine

Why are there so many turbochargers on cars and almost never a supercharger? Superchargers seem to only be on things like the Hellcat and higher end Audis. Turbochargers are on everything from a Ford Focus to a Raptor.

>that's a TWIN TURBO and it's fucking awesome
Twin turbo is just two turbos, not a turbo and supercharger.

but they do suck one thing in common with superchargers....
Money.

>LS/V8 anons call I4 anons gay for years
>MFW they realize they're actually DOUBLE GAY

Turbos are cheaper, more efficient and don't impact fuel economy as much.
Superchargers have a lower efficiency threshold because they're using the mechanical power of the engine, so there's a point where the power the supercharger generates is hindered by the power needed to spin the supercharger. Which is why you typically only see them in higher displacement engines.
Although a supercharged 4cyl, mid-engine, AWD Toyota van is a thing that exists in the world.

kek

you should really stop giving advice

In terms of having to choose only ONE to put on your car, which one would you choose?

Supercharger or Turbocharger?

There are >600hp supercharged K20's out there

Someone color those screws like the american flag

Tarbo

>
You're a whole retard, turbos don't drop boost in drags because the driver will be on the throttle even when shifting gears, I beleive it's called power shifting

It depends, but my rule of thumb is:
Long stroke, low revs - supercharged
Short stroke, high revs - turbo, or centri supercharger
Short stroke low revs - get a different car

do I wanna make a fuckton of power at high rpm? then put a fuck off turbo on it.
do i wanna make da torques low down for comfy city driving? then put a supercharger on it

My own car already has a turbocharger. For a hypothetical car it depends highly on the car. I like the idea of prochargers though.

depends
if it is a big af american V8, it deserves a supercharger
if it is a 4 cylinder or a rotary, it should have a turbo

It just really depends. You just have to look at a car to tell.

>holy shit, look at that Charger
It deserves a supercharger
>holy shit dude look at that Nissan GTR
It deserves a turbo

You just have to look at a car to tell.
Let’s say you’re building a 89 Corolla... are you gonna put a supercharger on it?
Nigger pls

>Let’s say you’re building a 89 Corolla... are you gonna put a supercharger on it?

4A-GZE exists, so yes?

Turbo, but only because I only have space for 1 car right now.
My current DD is turbo, good economy during normal driving, and power when I want it. Spools to 11 PSI by 2800 RPM

Is there such a thing as a supercharged v10 or 12?

Fatter cam
I don't want to increase IAT's with how hot my local climate already is.
Supercharger is definitely out

Superchuperduper all damn day. Turbos take too much engineering to get that same flat torque curve, a single FGT will just have one big torque spike and trail off after that. VGT would be the preference, but those are only practical on diesels at the moment.