Anyone else getting more thrifty, the more money they make?

Anyone else getting more thrifty, the more money they make?

I used to be poor, now I'm not rich, but I could buy a new car with cash.

Instead, first thing tomorrow, I'm buying rice and beans instead of eating out, as a reminder that you don't get rich by wasting money. Maybe I'll treat myself with new $15 pants.

Yep.

Same here. I'm making more money than I ever have, and now it's like all I think about is increasing the number, ways to invest that money, grow, become more powerful.

I think I had bread for dinner tonight, lol.

I think it comes down to the secret might of it. Like someone could walk up to me, and just think oh that guy is no one special. Little do they know what's in my account.

I'm getting ready to do some spending though. You can't get too frugal, it's a stupid mentality. Gonna buy a bunch of clothes next week and take a vacation this spring.

>I think it comes down to the secret might of it. Like someone could walk up to me, and just think oh that guy is no one special. Little do they know what's in my account.
That aspect is definitely fun at times.
I don't shave, full beard, and wear cheap clothes. A baker recently gave me a freebie for no obvious reason, lol.

My Economics teacher is kinda like this. Way back when, he had a radical idea: boner pills are the future. So as soon as he heard phizer was developing boner pills he bet the farm on em. Only teacher in the building who actually wanted to be there.

>Why are poor people so bad with money?

I fell into this trap for a while. I was saving on average $7,000 per month and it just felt like a grind to a high score. I was a former WOW addict so I was used to slow grinding with little tangible reward.

After I hit $100,000 I didn't feel anything. After I hit $200,000 I still didn't think much of it. Soon after, when I got to $250,000 I thought to myself, oh cool, a quarter of a million, but other than that, it was just a high score.

The game got old after a while so I paid cash for a house and all the while my family still treat me like I'm a homeless bum, my wife thinks we are mortgaged into near bankruptcy, and if I see something in the grocery store for $1 and it scans at $1.10 fuck yes I'll call them out on it and save my 10c.

>my wife thinks we are mortgaged into near bankruptcy

nice

>make smart choices, not a consumer whore
>but it doesn't matter
>because every time I try to make money, some invisible force comes in an fucks me over, preventing me from making money

Tight, thanks world.

Samesame.

Onve you learn the value of good money habbits it becomes more about self control than the money.

Why rich people drive toyotas.

Mfw i am rich im gathering up all of the 1989 toyota corrola station wagons i can find. Best car i ever had.

Can't let it beat u down user. Pic very related.

The day my wife and i finally were able to start a savings account.

The very...same...day...

>stopping the money flow

This isn't the great depression

Thats basically me.

Ever since I got landed this decent job I don't like spending more than $20 on clothes anymore and my diet basically became lean meats/rice/veggies/fruits which cost me just under $150 a month. The last nice thing I got for myself was a $35 dress shirt since I needed a new one.

>thrifty

That's honestly retarded unless you are barely scraping up a savings.

If you aren't actually happier now with money than you were before then you are just as retarded as spending outside of your means.

I don't spend money like its going out of style but I am willing to spend $100 on a fancy dinner and my bed and couch are really nice.

I have a 65 inch TV and a $1200 dollar computer.

Pretty soon I'm buying my first house in cash.

My only regret is buying a brand new car. A 2013 Ford Fusion. I love the car but I didn't put enough research into it when I bought it.

When I come home from a long day at work I'm comfortable.

I have everything I need and plenty of money in savings and rainy day funds.

It's all about moderation. Invest in yourself and your life but don't live lavishly. Also make sure you know the difference between quality and brand.

[spoilers] I know plenty of people who live happy stressfree lives living a minimalist lifestyle but they cook their foods with fresh vegetables and meats You guys seem like you are fetishizing deprivation instead of being minimalist.

This user gets it. Personally its the 1989 Honda Crx for me. I'd buy ten of them before I ever bought a BMW

I keked in an original way at this one.

But, yes, in response, I am getting more tight with the cash. I don't think it's just because I'm making more money, it could be me just getting older too and realizing that my time is limited.

Still, I don't think it's a positive in my case. I track expenses more and stress more about saving and cash reserves and can honestly say I'm not as happy anymore.

>my wife thinks we are mortgaged into near bankruptcy

you're a smart man user.

It all comes down to managing / spending your money wisely. You don't have to live a frugal life, as long as you get value for the money you spend it is not wasted.

>bread for dinner
dave ramsey would be proud

my business partner is a multi millionaire due a couple successes in o&g start ups during the boom

he wears a swatch, drives a 15 year old bmw, and his clothes are shit. you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at him that he owns lots of class A BRK

This. Wtf

>I make a million dollars a year
>decided to buy a brand new cardboard box for the alley
>splurged and got new needles so I prevent the aids
>Mfw I don't have to suck dick anymore but I do it anyway cuz I like it
>life of a millionaire
>being

This is me. It took willpower but I literally never eat out anymore except for special occasions. I easily save 2 grand a month by grocery shopping & cooking over eating takeout.

I also cancelled Netflix and just use free programs like crunchyroll or pirating.

I make about 60k and 2 or 3 of my dinners each week are $1 bread loaves from Walmart. I save up as much as I can

I'm only making 38k, but it's a big jump from the 20k I was making before.

I bought a trailer house because it was cheaper than a house/apartment.

My wardrobe is all Walmart shit.

My $110 shoes were picked up from goodwill for $10.

I regularly have rice and beans for dinner.

Aside from my car, there's not much I care about when it comes to "nice" things.

It does make me happy though to see 30% of my income land into savings, most of which later goes into investments.

It really is a game. I'm constantly trying to get a high score.

25 y.o.

Living with parents because I didn't fall for the away college meme

make 42,000 a year

70% of it goes to savings

I wear typical office attire that costs less than stupid nike t shirts and sneakers.

All I need is a good place to invest my savings and I'll be set.

I spend about 6-8k a year, including ALL my bills, food, and expenses. In a major city in the US. Get on my level. I don't even have a bus pass, I just walk or ride my bike for free. Sometimes I spend 3 hours a day walking. Keeps me in shape, too.

I am thinking of buying an $80 hat I like, though.

>not buying discount day-old artisan bread for 1.50 that feeds you for 2-3 days
>not cutting the slices with a $7 chinese made camping knife you've had for 5 years and packing them in a reused cardboard box from discount half price granola bars

If you buy from walmart you're a faggot. Their food is more expensive than real grocery stores if you shop the sales/discount rack, and their clothes are more expensive than goodwill. If you shop walmart you must like throwing money in the trash.

ive had the same grind mentality from wow cooked in, good to know im not the only one.
u fucked up getting married tho, rip

I save probably half my income, I cycle to work. I've never owned a car. I have a licence but I'm just too tight with my money. I mean, I could buy a Porsche with cash tomorrow If I wanted to, but I don't.

Though I still don't own property. I want to have a house payed off in full before I hit 35, then I hope I can relax my savings a bit.

>I paid cash for a house
>my wife thinks we are mortgaged into near bankruptcy,
...savage

>as a reminder that you don't get rich by wasting money
>things poor people tell themselves

why aren't you banned, frog-poster Matt?

Because they need instant gratification and short term rewards. A car that's better than their salary allows, a signature pair of Nike trainers for $400. Its all stuff that will make them feel good for a day or two.

Most Jewish thread on Veeky Forums

Reminder that if the thought of having a lot of money excites you, especially the amount of money/numbers in your bank account, then you are literally a Jew

>you are literally a Jew
most wealthy people aren't jews.
most wealthy people see numbers as a score.
most wealthy people play for a high score.

Apologies to everyone in this thread.

Its only the second most Jewish thread on Veeky Forums

lol
he's right though, have you handled gold and silver? Gems and sports cars too.

>sports cars
All I really see in a sports car is the decline in value. It destroys all potential to enjoy the car.
I'm happier with minimizing my car's TCO.

It takes discipline to make yourself wealthy in a conventional way

So it shouldn't come as a surprise that you're still disciplined when you stop being shit poor.

The founder of IKEA is worth $41 billion,
drives a 1993 Volvo 240,
and only flies in economy class.

He is known for purchasing Christmas paper and presents in post-Christmas sales

He reportedly recycles tea bags and is known to pocket the salt and pepper packets at restaurants.

Are you getting your wife to pay into the "mortgage" as well for additional cash-flow?

Great insight to be honest

That was Sam Walton's car, founder of Walmart. A 1979 Ford F150 pickup.

>mfw I work 8 hours a day and spend 10-15$ on food every shift

I know it's fucking retarded, I'm trying to cut back on it. I usually just buy a coffee for lunch now. Here's some things I do to save money though:

>cut my own hair, it's cheaper but once you get the hang of it you'll definitely be able to trim it better than they do at most walk in places
>only shop for clothes at Walmart or discount outlets.
>ride a bike everywhere, take the bus in the winter or walk
>Buy shoes like 4 pairs at a time because it's buy one get one free at this one store and there's a pair I really like.

What else can I do anons?

I clock 8.5 hours on the clock every day. That 2.5 of OT every week adds nicely to cover splurges like your food habits.

Also pack a lunch.

i only eat a small dinner basically can live of 14 sausages a loaf of bread and a pack of chips for a week ez

I'll start not spending money when I have all the shit I need.

Emplyment in a non-shit country
A house of my own, or a nice flat with no neighbours.
minimal furniture
a fuckton of books
two good computers
fuckton of electronic equipment
nice painting tools and paints
ability to take a year off from work and not regret it

Extra:
a government that doesn't pocket 50% of what I make
A better country that any that exists.

This "invisible force" of which you speak is a manifestation of your own shortcomings. Evidently you're not planning well enough if you keep getting knocked back to square one. Work smarter.

Been my life the last 3 years, now Im finally starting to get some resemblance of a fonancial life.

...but your home insurance covered it, right?

No?

My point exactly. A failure to plan is to plan for failure.

>mfw the pizza actually tastes better when its from the dumpster

This. I find having a swelling bank account far more satisfying than buying new things. Maybe it's a sign of maturity to lose the "new" sensation.

I'm not as frugal as the guys posting so far. I'll buy a few over priced meals a week but I'm extremely frugal when it comes to reoccurring bills. I've never subscribed to cable. Netflix and pirating mostly. I usually do the one month rule for big purchases to avoid impulse buying.

The most agitating aspect of it is when it comes to "charity" donations. Like the bullshit that gets passed around at work. Usually the poorer the people are the more willing they are to donate. These people (usually women) think everyone should share wealth. I've helped people that really needed it. I have incredible disdain for the guilt trip they try to impose on you for not immediately donating $25 dollars or more. They don't understand that I don't even impulse buy things like that for myself. Much less some charity scheme that'll pay other dipshits to shuffle paper work.

At a point though, the self esteem boost from it is shallow and indicates something within is lacking.

If your bank account becomes a large part of your validation, there is definitely a problem.

Brofist, I spend under 5k eurodollars a year for everything. As a scandifag, healthcare is free, so I don't even have to worry about that like murifags.

I like to have some nice things. I like to keep my pc at a good performance level, I like to cook dinner but enjoy using good ingredients. I also don't mind spending money on something that I really enjoy. Spent $180 on Radiohead tickets this upcoming month.

Pretty nice. Do you pay rent or own your space? If former, do you have tips on keeping it low?

Rent in a ghetto area. Planning to build my own place later on when I have enough saved.

You're probably right to some degree.

I was middle class growing up but only because my dad worked his ass off. At one point he was working two jobs and he was miserable. More often than not he'd come home pissed off because he was exhausted and stressed. It didn't really get physical but there was a lot of fighting at home growing up. I'm not reliving that and having a solid bank account guarantees that.

They don't make cars that aesthetic anymore

actual wealthy people don't try to justify their spending habits to Vietnamese arm-wrestling arenas.

though for the record, actual wealthy people also 'waste' money far faster than anyone here makes it.

>actual wealthy people also 'waste' money far faster than anyone here makes it.
see
>has $41 billion
>pockets salt and pepper packets at restaurants

do I really need to list all the billionaires that fly in private jets and ride in limos to prove your silly single example wrong?

are you literally retarded? do you sincerely believe wealthy people are usually frugal because one or two are?

>he didn't buy a ford GT
Stay poor and tasteless user