"redpill" me on fwd...

"redpill" me on fwd? I'm obsessed with owning a light rwd car but due to my financial situation I know I shouldn't since I need a dd

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/N81cEqZEDVQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Miata's don't come in fwd, so there's all the info you need.

Ford Probes do

>accelerate
>weight transfers to back of car.
>brake
>weight transfers to from of car

Consider

>weight on tires improves traction

Thus

>accelerate in RWD car increase weight on driven wheels and increase traction and more power can be used to move the car
>accelerate in a FWD decrease weight on driven wheels decreasing traction and losing power
But also
>decrease traction of your turning wheels when accelerating thus less cornering grip and thus UNDERSTEER

its basic physics. fWD is good only because it's cheaper to make.

With correct application of brake and throttle you can leave rwd cars for dead in the twisties if you have a good suspension setup

In my FWD I've absolutely smoked RWD cars in the twisties, it's all about circle of grip and weight transfer/control. It takes a lot more skill to go fast in than rwd, while at the same time being generally more forgiving of minor mistakes.

>It takes a lot more skill to go fast in than rwd
I like a properly set up FWD car, but this is false.

FWD allows for a short, wide wheel base and a roomy storage/passenger area in the back. So you can get something that is cheap to run and has practical everyday value but can still be light and chuckable in the corners if it's got good suspension and steering.
It's literally why hot hatches have been popular for almost 40 years now.
Is it as fun as a lightweight RWD roadster? No. Can you still have fun in it while DDing? Yes.

FWD pros
>better fuel economy
>better packaging
>easier to maintain
>more interior space
>less drivetrain losses
>no separate differential
>can be slightly easier to control in bad weather
>most FWD 4 cylinder economy cars can be had for very cheap
Literally the best layout for a daily driver. Get your life in order before buying RWD weekend toys

>b-b-but muh AWD
Winter tires, nigger

you just need a hot hatch

if they're properly set up they're a ton of fun

>Literally the best layout for a daily driver.
Sure, if economy is your main concern. I prefer my FR car for daily driving. I can't stand understeer, wheel hop, or torque steer

None of those are issues if you drive like a normal person on public roads instead of a boy racer

>I prefer my FR car for daily driving. I can't stand understeer, wheel hop, or torque steer
Wtf are you doing to experience any of that?

I actually like torque steer. It's boring if you can floor it without having your hands on the wheel and nothing happens. Combating torque steer makes me feel like a rally driver

Left foot braking will help mitigate any understeer, and oversteering in a fwd is nearly damn impossible. Also if you suck at driving and like to mash the gas through corners you won't wrap yourself around a tree.

I wanna say fwd is better for cornering because of left foot braking and the ability to pull yourself out of the curves. As far as being a DD fwds are just more tame to drive, and you are more concerned with maneuverability than your 0-60 times from stoplights. All up to preference though. I love my fwd dd (im not the only one who drives it so its good that it's easy to handle), but sometimes I wish I had a rwd so I could do snow drifties.

>fwd
>approach corner
>turn wheel hard
>yank handbrake
>floor it
>countersteer
>skids

There are plenty of high power fwd cars that deal with torque steer, understeer, and wheelhop during normal spirited driving and you don't need to be driving like an asshole to experience them.

Regurgitating what he read on Facebook while he studies for his driving test is my guess...

Fwd is for half-assed posers who think they're into cars but they really aren't. Fwd are wheeled appliances not cars.

Lol, whatever dude. I'm willing to bet I've owned a lot more fwd cars than you.

Late braking.

RWD can lose control if they don’t brake earlier for corners. FWD can brake later going into a corner and pass RWD cars in those tricky spots.

youtu.be/N81cEqZEDVQ

Fwd defenders are like healthy at any size fatty defenders, desperately defending the indefensible.

Are you seriously dumb enough to compare a lightweight hatchback vs a heavy family sedan?

>meme opinion

>creates strawman
> thinks he wins
10/10 post m80

never change Veeky Forums

>denial opinoin
Fwd is a platform driven by bean counters, mediocrity and ignorance. Never intended for, and unsuitable for serious performance.

>meme opinion backed up by strawman meme

Butthurt fwd appliance owner detected. Get a real car faggot lol

>meme opinion

Don't worry, you will never achieve a level of performance that is serious enough for FWD to stop being a viable platform. Just look at most circuit racing championships. There are tons of Civics in them and 0 of the people visiting this board are good enough to race in them.

What kind of autism do you have? It’s quite serious

Yeah, shit cars
Something like a Type R can handle all those issues despite making over 300hp. Something like a Veloster Turbo wheel hops like a bitch despite only making 200hp

Are you retarded? The rules artificially level the playing field in any competition where fwds are used. Most commonly they're permitted to run more tire.

Thanks for proving my point.

>Something like a Type R can handle all those issues despite making over 300hp.
>Cherry picking a brand new $33,000 civic with massive tires and electronic aids to try and prove your point.

There are plenty of awesome fwd cars that have the issues I mentioned

You still haven’t proved a thing, let alone countered anything about late braking. You just claim you’re right because you think so.

Besides, you never even answered what kind of autism you have, so how can I expect to take you seriously at all?

And you won't see those issues driving like an adult on public roads unless the car is particularly shit (Veloster Turbo)

There's nothing to counter. Only a fucking retard would think that a video of a light hatchback outbreaking a heavy family sedan is evidence of fwd greatness. What a fucking faggot holy shit.

less drivetrain losses compared to cucked FR, not MR

How many people are DDing an MR car?
>inb4 that one weirdo who drives an AW11 every day

>And you won't see those issues driving like an adult on public roads unless the car is particularly shit (Veloster Turbo)
Sorry but that's false. My 1999 GSR was terrible with understeer, and cars like the MS3, SRT4, and focus ST will experience wheel hop and torque steer even with mild driving

How does that make you feel like a rally driver? Do you know what rally drivers do?

>there’s nothing to counter because I’m takumi and always right
KYS but unironically

i daily a mr-s

I know what top rally drivers never do, drive fwd cars. har har

...Anonymous
02/16/18(Fri)14:02:23 No.18673300
#
>fwd
>approach corner
>turn wheel hard
>yank handbrake
>snap
>hit wall
>cry

>Get your life in order before buying RWD weekend toys
This has been very painful to accept. On the bright side I get crazy good gas mileage and my insurance went way down so it might not take as long as I thought.

>And you won't see those issues driving like an adult on public roads
So you're basically saying most fwd cars can't be driven at the limit without negative consequences associated with the drivetrain platform. Thanks for proving my point.

Your attempt to be edgy to hide the fact that you have no argument is painfully transparent. I'm embarrassed for you user.

That's what that was about you mongaloid

>negative consequences associated with the drivetrain platform

Fwd in a nutshell. It's a poor choice for performance but it's good enough to get you from a to b and it's cheaper to make.

If that's happening then either your cars had something wrong with them or you weren't driving them like an adult
Boy racers gonna boy race I guess

Which is literally the whole point of

>If that's happening then either your cars had something wrong with them or you weren't driving them like an adult
>Boy racers gonna boy race I guess

What is the point of buying a performance variant of a fwd car if you never drive it the way it was meant to be driven?

You might as well just buy a normal base Golf or Fiesta if you don't intend on doing any spirited driving

That poster was wrong. "I'll get a proper car later" is a cop-out for losers. When it doesn't happen you'll become another fwd cuck defending garbage because you're invested in it because being a real car enthusiast is tooo harrrd.

This entire thread is about daily drivers you blithering idiot
Go be a benchracer somewhere else

Found the teenager who thinks his Craigslist special Miata is a real sportscar

Only if you stay poor, in which case you're beyond help and good advice

>teenager
Nice try faggot I've owned over a dozen cars.

Congratulations, Craigslist shoppers must love you

Yeah they go fast.

They don't have craig list in my country thanks for playing fuck face.

Selling used cars is illegal in your country?

Yup, edgy like a teenager

Yikes

Explain to the fine posters here how a teenager can have owned over a dozen cars I'll wait.

>fwd
>ye old handbrake turn
>counter steer
Good way to over correct and land in a ditch

If you’re still in the power band just accelerate and roughly point the front wheels where you want to go, it’ll just pull you forward

>This entire thread is about daily drivers you blithering idiot
>Go be a benchracer somewhere else

You know daily drivers can be fun to drive too, right?

OP stated that he is obsessed with owning a lightweight rwd car, so obviously he values some level of performance.

All I have said is that it's possible to have fun daily drivers (both fwd and rwd). All I said is that I prefer a fun RWD compared to a fun FWD car.

Why is this so hard for you to comprehend? Not everyone wants a basic, bland daily driver.

it's pretty sad how fwd cucks will use the daily driver defense like that's a valid excuse for owning a soul crushing shitbox.

>t. has never driven a tiny 800kg jap turbo hatchback
These things are fucking fun as fuck dude

Explain how my dad doesn’t work at Nintendo if you don’t believe me. I’m waiting

Still kinda gay and less fun than the rwd jap import catalog.

Well have you? How do you know it's less fun if you haven't?

Explain to me why you're posting here when you don't have a good grasp of the English language

OP should prioritize getting his life on track instead of hunting for cragslist special "fun" cars

Does a charade turbo count? They're under 800kg. Piss weak and less fun than almost everything else I've had.

The 1 liter 3 cyl? Nah not really. That would be like me saying RWD is shit because I didn't like my friend's diesel Volvo 740 with 80hp.
For me personally one of the most fun I've ever had in a car was inside a Toyota Starlet GT Turbo. Weighs like 800kg, has 120+ hp and revs to around 8k happily. Oh and the handling is great

130+ hp actually, just checed

You now a lightweight turbocharged fwd car will wheelhop like crazy right? That was my point all along. Sure it's fun, but it's just the nature of fast fwd cars.

>OP should prioritize getting his life on track instead of hunting for cragslist special "fun" cars
>Implying you can't buy a reliable rwd daily driver

Please tell me what car you drive user, I really want to know.

>hurr durr you haven't driven a car with my very specific criteria
>uh actually I have
>oh that doesn't count!
I'm out

What's your point? FWD is bad because 50hp Daihatsu is slow? Nice work, Einstein

it's actually over 100hp but that doesn't support your argument so it doesn't count. Retards like you are why I stopped coming here.

FWD cars are cheap and fun.

You're a miserable cunt, so perhaps it is best you do stay out of here. This is an auto enthusiast board.

>I'll pretend a car has less than half of it's actual power output to bullshit my way out of a bad argument.
>I'm an auto enthusiast

I didn't know they managed to achieve a 100+hp/l power output in an early 90s 3 cylinder Daihatsu, sorry.
I'm an auto enthusiast because I can appreciate, enjoy and have fun in a lightweight FWD turbo car, unlike you.

>OP should prioritize getting his life on track instead of hunting for cragslist special "fun" cars
Lol projecting much bus rider?
Op should buy what he likes and work around it. Life is kind of pointless when someone compromises what they desire for what they think is the right move. Even when the not making that right move has little negative consequences.
If OP has kids then yeah he's gonna need a sedan. If OP moves shit around then yeah he's gonna need a truck. If op just goes to and from work while grocery shopping to cook in his apartment then a miata is fine.

Explore then pursue your healthy desires OP, but be sure to explore what your actual dream entails, not just the props lest you make a Potemkin village out of your life.

>wheelhop
Jesus I haven't heard that term for years and I forgot it used to be a thing

You know it's non existent with FWD cars now right?

Simple things please simple minds. The novelty of a super-forgiving platform that spins the front wheels easily wears off fast.

its only a problem if you have high horsepower fwd car. my 70hp EF hatch will out corner any pigfat rwd car on the road

its very comparable to my friends na miata

Likewise with the back wheels desu senpai

Yeah that's why I hate RWD so much. (protip: I don't)
You sound sad and numbed. Glad I haven't lost my interest in driving yet.

>You know it's non existent with FWD cars now right?
Im guessing you have never driven a focus st or fiesta st?

How about the golf GTI?

You're just projecting your sadness at owning a fwd and embarrassing yourself with your retard tier posting onto me.

Calm down there Freud

It's hard to remain calm when I have just nice rwd cars to drive.

That faggot doesn't know what he is talking about. A FWD has half a ton of engine weight providing down force to the drive wheels. A RWD pushes the car, with little weight other than a spare tyre pushing the drive wheels to the road (hence why all burnout videos are RWD). You can slide out easier and that's it, if you're into drifting. My dad's fwd lancer could take a corner in 2nd at 110kmh and the faggot friend behind me went ass out, did the over correction thing RWD do, went over the bridge and down the hill.

I'm guessing you're a shit driver with uncoordinated pedal work

Sage

That's not how it works. Can't tell if underage brainlet or high quality bait.

And youre a faggot so youre both even

>I'm guessing you're a shit driver with uncoordinated pedal work

Have you ever driven any of the cars I mentioned? Go do a quick search and you will realize it's not just me.

BTW, I've owned several high power fwd cars in the past, so I think I know how to handle these kinds of cars just fine.