What would be the equivalent of an LS swap in Europe? I'm talking about an engine that's relatively cheap to buy...

What would be the equivalent of an LS swap in Europe? I'm talking about an engine that's relatively cheap to buy, lots of power and big potential for tunability. LS engines are pretty hard to find and expensive here, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u4tXStHVZ58
youtube.com/watch?v=ioy1zeB49sU
youtube.com/watch?v=n9VJCtqtnsI
youtube.com/watch?v=13Dffs_pSqw
youtube.com/watch?v=HWvIoYm6CJI
focusst.org/forum/off-topic/33138-829whp-335i-100-bone-stock-block.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i don't think there is an equivalent in europe.

BMW straight sixes from the 90s and/or mid 2000s found in E30s E36s E46s are supposedly the equivalent and can make some pretty big power for cheap as BMW parts are common in most of Europe but i'm not sure because i don't know BMW engines but i heard some anons say that.

this, M50,M52,M54 are great choices but boost is a must if you want any real power
M60 and M62 are a good choice for V8s
watch dutch drift jesus explain the pros and cons of each option:
youtube.com/watch?v=u4tXStHVZ58

rover v8 or K series was popular for a while
that said even hill-man imp and Reliant Robin got their engine taken for use in other cars

VW 1.8T on lotsa boost

There still are LS conversions here, although usually in higher end / value stuff. There are quite a few people putting them in 911s from the era where they ate engines, apparently lighter and more powerful than the stock engine and a cheaper option than getting it rebuilt.

Rover v8 swap or some kind of cosworth swap

Surely you can buy ls crate engines in yurop? BRB $10k ls3 can't beat it for value desu

this, bmw i6’s are getting swapped in literally everything here including supras and silvias

Getting a 2.0 L instead of the 1.6 or the base 1.0. From the factory ofc

yup ls swaps aren’t uncommon in europe too.
parts are sparse but everything can be shipped from burgerland for cheap

>BRB $10k ls3 can't beat it for value desu
Or spend £800 on an old BMW with an I6, extract the engine + gearbox, scrap the rest (£200 ish, so about £600 for the engine) and that leaves you with a hell of a lot of change from £10k for mods. No one really bothers with crate engines here except for really high end stuff

Have fun shipping a heavy-ass engine to your door and dealing with import fees and taxes on that.
Europe simply doesn't have a huge supply of junkyard smallblocks that you can pick up for next to nothing, but shit like BMW inline 6s, Merc diesels and VW 1.8Ts are readily available.

>2nd hand shitbox vs new engine
You're a fuckin brainlet, m8. If you're gonna go through the trouble of engineering an engine swap, why would you fuck around with a too long half fucked straight 6?
We ship them to Australia no worries.

BM and Merc V12s are mega cheap as well.

People put Jap and Aussie straight 6s into things all the time though, why would Euro straight 6s be different?
And as long as the block and head are good, 10k will go a long way towards getting you a nicely built motor, especially in its home market.

>If you're gonna go through the trouble of engineering an engine swap, why would you fuck around with a too long half fucked straight 6?
ask any euro tuner

youtube.com/watch?v=ioy1zeB49sU

There would be 1000 ls swaps to every barra swap
I'm asking. Why would you bother with a junkyard straight 6? Engine swaps are a massive pain in the arse and I cant see anyone with half a brain going through the all the trouble for an old motor

Rover V8.

Upsides: Lightweight, compact, old design therefore few sensitive electronics, comparatively plentiful to source from older Land Rovers, Range Rovers and a couple other British cars.

Downsides: not the most powerful engine in the world, not the most faultless engine in the world. But you can turn it into a neat build.

youtube.com/watch?v=n9VJCtqtnsI

Did you miss the part about it being substantially cheaper and more readily available? The reason people use these old BMW I6s is because they are extremely solid engines. A lot of the time there is no need to spend vast sums on a new engine for a project. High end stuff is a different situation obviously, but most people doing it for fun don't need to bother

>why would you bother
Because the engines can be had for dirt cheap, parts can be found everywhere and they are good for anything below 1000hp on stock internals.
For more serious builds (above 1000hp) most tuners go for LS swaps however.

>You're a fuckin brainlet, m8. If you're gonna go through the trouble of engineering an engine swap, why would you fuck around with a too long half fucked straight 6?
I have actually done this. I had a Ford Capri a few years ago and obviously the stock engine was a piece of crap, so I sourced an E39 528i that had serious rust issues and was destined for the scrapyard. Got it almost for free, so I transplanted the engine and gearbox (this was a manual thankfully) into the Capri. Had to get some mounts fabricated but it was pretty straightforward. Took me and my mates about 4 days all in, and hardly cost anything. I can see why people do it, the results were great. Shame the Capri got killed by a drunk driver 9 months later. I cut the middle man out and drive an E38 328i now

>capri with bmw engine
sounds pretty sick, post pics?

OK. I'm assuming that in Europe you can't just do an engine swap. It needs to be done properly and engineered certified, right?
>1000hp on stock internals
If you can 1000hp from a BMW straight 6 without any bottom end work, go for it.

>OK. I'm assuming that in Europe you can't just do an engine swap. It needs to be done properly and engineered certified, right?
Depends on the country, but yeah you'll need to pass at least some kind of inspection.

youtube.com/watch?v=13Dffs_pSqw

So surely if you're going to bother, you will look for a decent engine
Am I supposed believe that this engine is running a stock short block?

>If you're gonna go through the trouble of engineering an engine swap, why would you fuck around with a too long half fucked straight 6?

Lighter, narrower and more reliable even after 200k miles than a chubby lumpy shit

>Narrow at the cost of too long
Gj
>more reliable
>plastic internals bmw
Just lol

Are you saying a rebuilt junkyard engine can't be decent?

The cost of properly rebuilding the engine is gonna put you a bit over your £600 example.

It may be customary for Americans to fence in a bit of nowhere and simply pile millions of old cars there, but in Europe they're all bought up and transported away by eastern Europeans and Moroccans.

And it'll stay well below your example of 10 grand before shipping and taxes.

So do you think you’re smarter than the hundreds of tuners in europe that have swapped bmw engines in their cars?
>plastic internals
>capable of ~1000hp stock bottom end
Lmao okay

Have you ever actually been involved with an engine build? It's not hard to run up $10k especially if you plan on running boost. I guess with a straight 6 you'll only have to fuck with one head tho.
>appeal to authority
>1000hp from a stock bottom end 3.6l straight 6
I'm gonna need some proof.

look up BMW S38. It comes with forged internals from factory, it’s one of the best engines for 1000hp builds.

To everyone recommending BMW I6s, don't most of them have below 200 hp? That seems pretty weak, unless they can be supercharged easily or something.

Post a confirmed stock bottem end BMW l6 with >1000hp

LS swap

There are a surprising amount of chevy small blocks's in old volvos. i guess that comes close here in northern europe.

They are really easy to turbo, and can take quite the punishment.

I didn't say more than 1000hp, I said up to 1000hp.
830whp = around 950hp
youtube.com/watch?v=HWvIoYm6CJI

the main problem on them is the blocks/liners. on the 3.5 the liners are known to slip, and above that the coolant passage between 2 of the cylinders will leak into the space between the liner and the block. i heard somewhere that this issue might have been fixed on the later 4.6 efi blocks, but i cant find anywhere else that mentions this

Give me a time stamp of the proof

M50 Swap?

Also the exchange rate is more favorable right?

the exchange rate, 1.24 USD/EUR atm
is off set by our VAT tax rate of ~20% in most EU countries
so you can basically convert prices 1:1

what?
focusst.org/forum/off-topic/33138-829whp-335i-100-bone-stock-block.html

This desu senpai

>LS
stop being delusional OP, get a 351 or a modular, they are much better

A turbo

The euros don't really have an engine that is supplied in such huge quantities and is as durable as the Chevy small block is in America.

1UZFE

as long as you have oil the stock bottom half is good to 1000hp