How high can you safely rev a gasoline engine when it's cold? I usually stay below 2k for the first few minutes...

How high can you safely rev a gasoline engine when it's cold? I usually stay below 2k for the first few minutes, and then 3k until it's fully warmed up, but I'm not sure if that's necessary. I'd like to be able to rev it as high as possible, since it lacks torque at low RPM.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance
youtube.com/watch?v=t08hFagAJ_s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Define safely.

I wouldn't go above 2-2.5k until it's up to temperature desu.

My diesel shitbox requires almost 15 minutes to warm up, but I don't need more than 1.5k RPM anyway.

THIS.

i usually don't rev higher than 3k, 2k if diesel
you need to find your perfect warmup rpm yourself, just remember not to go full throttle, don't lug it either

On cold starts, my engine starts at 2k rpm to warm up and I won't drive it until it goes down to 1.5k. I'll shift at or below 3k. After a few minutes, it'll go back to idling at 800 even though it won' t be at regular operating temp so I won't be revving higher than 3.5k

mine has a little "engine's cold yo" light but I only wait until I hear the radiator fan come on. I figure if it's warm enough to need to cool itself down it's warm enough to drive.

I wait till my oil is up to ~150 before I go past 2k mostly because the turbo starts to spool around 2.5k and I want to be nice to my bearings.

Gonna depend on what you mean by 'cold' and what you mean by 'safely' Most of the time you're just talking about accelerated wear but if you go and redline your engine after a cold start on a -30F day then don't be surprised if something breaks.

Don't rev the shit out of it but don't lug it down either.

More load = worse than high revs in modern engines with good lubrication.

Lugging 4th at 12mph at 80% throttle is worse than revving to 6k in neutral at 100%.

Depends on your car, I keep mine under 4k and don't accelerate hard.

Is an oil pressure gauge the real answer to trying to get a sense of if you're being too mean to it when its cold?

How fucked am I, I drove hard to overtake some idiot in the morning but the car was semi warm I barely turned it on for like 5 minutes before, did I fuck up my engine

You'll never be able to dig the head gasket out of the coolant passages. Find a new one before it leaves you stranded and you have to junk it.

If it's a manual, you should be able to feel where the throttle responds well to your inputs (less load) and you should be able to feel when the engine harmonics aren't synced well.

Oil pressure guage probably won't help unless you live somewhere really really cold and have an several-decades-old engine.

Also, if it's a '96+ you can get a scanguage II to tell you engine load in realtime as you drive.

Oh, I forgot about the load readings from OBDII. Are those indicative of engine wear? It's been a while since I went through what that reading is actually used for in typical ECU programming.

I do it by feel anyway, but for the purposes of this thread it's an interesting intellectual question of how you might go about judging it by the numbers. Current car is too recent and electronical to feel the engine properly anyway. It's all a guessing game as the ECU tries to play middle man.

Engines are complicated:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance

The differences between material composition and structure, with one side of the crank warming up more quickly, along with loads from driving and possible design imbalances could all lead to significantly more bearing wear or part warpage than under normal conditions.

I did mechanical engineering at an auto-engineering university, I did at long report on combustion engine harmonics for dynamics class and I've since worked for 3 auto companies - Shit is complicated (and fascinating) and thank goodness companies now have 3D CAD that simulates loads, stresses, thermals, etc on complex components instead of basically over-engineering, over-testing, and winging it which is how it was once done..

youtube.com/watch?v=t08hFagAJ_s

>he doesn't get into his car, mash the gas pedal, redline it nonstop until the cold engine light goes off, and then drives away not worrying about revving it too high

Honestly it's like you're a giant pussy

Does it really matter? I just drive normally when it's cold. It's not going to warm up even to a fraction of the operating temperature if I sit and idle and it's a high revving engine (honda civic) so I can't just be going 1500 RPM at highway speeds. I don't normally rev above 3000 RPM anyway unless I pull some crazy maneuver like downshift rev match and speed across two lanes to an exit, but by the time I need to do that most of the time it will have warmed up. But is it really bad to drive between 2k and 3k RPM when it's still cold?

>mfw I destroyed a Chevy equinox's engine so my parents would stop spending 2k every month to keep it running

I thought you were supposed to rev it high when it's cold to warm it up. Then once it's warm rarely go above 3k unless you're going to change the oil in the next 50 miles?

>how to blow your headgasket - the post

In the cold, mine starts at 1500 and settles at 900. I keep it under 2k until it's up to temp, which is normally about five minutes of driving at the absolute worst, and past that I'll rev the shit out of it. 3cyl life.

Forgot to mention, it's a 2013 car and I don't have any temperature gauges. I use Torque to keep an eye on it.

Tfw i have to go on a highway before my oil is warm enough and at 65mph my car revs to 3.8k in fifth gear.

/aygoboys/?

>doesn't have temperature gauge
i-is this the final frontier?

It's literally the worst gauge cluster I've ever seen in person.

>click on youtuber car review video
>the asshat doing the video hops in the car, starts it and immediately starts revving the shit out of it

Dunno about it but unless he took it out the garage probably it was already warmed up.

>already warmed up
Driving the car a couple of feet doesn't warm it up that much.

Honestly, they should say that they warmed it up first before bopping it off of the rev limiter so other asshats don't get the idea that it's ok to do that.

>paying any money at all for major repair to keep an american car going
Boomers make me sick

>being autistic to help the autistic
i mean it works

No it doesn’t. If you think autistics can’t see thru you pretending to be autistic, then you are fooling yourself.

>cold engine light

Is this a thing?

yes user sell it now before things go wrong

>5 minutes
Would be warm enough by then. The worst thing is revving it within the first 40 seconds of a cold start

my 08 honda jazz doesnt have one, just a light

I don't give a fuck and let the electric Jew do all the magic inside the engine of my modern soulless car.