Am I the only one who thinks HIDs were cooler than LEDs...

Am I the only one who thinks HIDs were cooler than LEDs? HIDs are so much more unique than ubiquitous LEDs now and I wish manufacturers still offered them

Do factory LED headlights require the auto levelling and washing that HIDs do?

LEDs seem to give out more glare but less useable light output than HIDs.

HIDs offer the greater range though, and have better Lumen intensity distribution so instead of blindingly illuminating what's right in front of you like LEDs, they distribute the light more evenly across the range. Plus I like the blue look, it gives more presence at night. And while LED bulbs themselves run cooler than Xenons, the wiring and hardware around them run much hotter than Xenons, so it could pose a problem if you do long distance driving at night.

But led can be housed in reflectors which are cooler than bulbous projectors, better for design.

A N G R Y

>But led can be housed in reflectors
So can HIDs if the reflector is designed for them, renault and mercedes used to use them.

Leds are for fridges and bathrooms, boring as shit

Talk about overkill design

Blinded me with this picture damned LED

This is the reason why HID are the most annoying to other drivers

Maybe.

I maintain my opinion that cheap and self-installed LEDs are the worst things on the road. I hope their cars burn down with them trapped inside.

SAY IT TO MY FACE BITCH ASS NIGGA

if my project car has crappy halogen sealed beam headlights, how can i swap in hid/xenon/led lights without blinding other people and without ruining the popup headlight look

MUH DICK

>fogs on with led drls

T R Y H A R D

Well in all honesty he is driving a rolling "muh luxury manly truck" meme. What do you expect from a person like that.

I agree. The way Xenons take a bit of time to warm up to be at their peak brightness and the color and nature of the light, they have more character than LEDs

>someone takes pix to show different light
>white balance on auto

Did a quick adjustment. HID is indeed bluer than leds.

If you want to swap in HIDs you need to swap in a projector bulb housing, like the one in the OP. You can't use a HID/Xenon bulb with a reflector housing.

I love this part. Starting the car up at night, the Xenons kind of "flash" very brightly and then go down in color temperature gradually over a few seconds as they heat up. While the bulbs do this, my "active" headlights or whatever it's called, the road-following thing, do a function check by moving fully side to side and up/down.

It's like when you wake someone up from a deep sleep and it takes them a few seconds to focus their eyes, then they look around to sort of orientate themselves.

>It's like when you wake someone up from a deep sleep and it takes them a few seconds to focus their eyes

Yup, this, and if you have a big roaring V8, it's like the car is a living being.

Evaluating lights under street lights..
What can you expect from armchair experts.

In city you can easily drive with your light off without even noticing. That's like taking a bath underwater.

Not evaluating but comparing, so it doesn't matter what the circumstances are

Depends on the bulbs used for the HIDs, you can get the blue, purple, white or yellow depending on the colour temperature.

Blue and purple have crappy light output, white or yellow is where its at if you want to see stuff.

LED will last much longer without needing to be replaced as frequently.

We'll see, HIDS last for a very long time and I see plenty of failed LED daytime running lights.
Hopefully LED headlights will last longer than the DRLs.

LED bulbs last longer, but the wiring, mounts and surrounding electronics last a lot less, because they tend to run much hotter than on HIDs

The actual LED's themselves will if they're cooled properly, The cheap ass components in the drivers however.... One $0.02 cap fails and the entire cluster flickers or dies. It's always funny seeing year old $100k German luxury cars with "burnt out" led head and tail light clusters. I can just imagine what a replacement for one of those goes for.

>depending on the colour temperature.

This.

Some auto manufacturers wanted to 'differentiate' their expensive HID option from plain old halogen bulbs. So they made them bluer. Blue is shit for visual acuity at night.

right. so is there no way to keep the nice square light aesthetic while improving light quality for everyone?

>tfw yellow fogs
comfy

All manufacturers used 4300 or 4600. The trick was in the optics.

No manufacturer ever used >5000k bulbs.

I've worked with a brand serving several manufacturers, the info is legit. At least in the EU.

I didn't even know you could have foglights on without your headlights on. never had a car that could do that. he probably got them rigged to do that