Why can't we do this in the U.S? Why does everybody need a 1 ton truck to tow the smallest trailers...

Why can't we do this in the U.S? Why does everybody need a 1 ton truck to tow the smallest trailers? My grandpa used to have a late 80's model Cadillac sedan deville that they pulled campers with. What changed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-RvzVCU1wIo
youtu.be/dp9ch-dAKk0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

americans got fatter and stupider in short.

bigger = better.

that is their life motto

One slightly evasive move in a rig like that and your ass is rolling. Our highway speeds are higher. People have less patience and guns. We have mountains and hills here. Our travel trailers start at 3000lbs and our boats are around 5000lbs.

An 80's Caddy is basically a truck. It's different in the modern world of fwd and transverse engines.

You absolutely can do this. But trucks are plentiful and relatively cheap. So why would you Fuck every drive train component in your car when you can buy a four grand beater truck to do it stress free. Yuropoors are poor, and live in nations that hate large vehicles that's why they do this shit. Same reason poor Americans pull uhauls with civics and cavaliers.

Emissions laws, comparative lack of insecurity, price of petrol.

A lot of the newer smaller turbo engines have a pretty decent torque curve, super early spool and the like.
Basically this.

>in your car when you can buy a four grand beater truck
exactly. I already have a car. If I buy a truck what do I do with it? I cant drive them both with me if i'm traveling. and I'd rather not sell my car. Also trucks suck to drive around town.
>engines
this is whats really confusing. the 3.5 liter ecoboost for example. In a truck it can pull 12k pounds. in a sedan it cant pull 2k?

>If I buy a truck what do I do with it

You keep it in the same place you store your hypothetical trailer. And insure it for recreational use on the cheap.

I have a car that can apparently tow 750 lbs (according to the manual) and Im looking at a trailer right now. which one of the following weights in the specs of the trailer matter when considering the weight I can tow?

Trailer specs are:

>Dry Weight 822 lbs
>Hitch Weight 105 lbs
>GVWR 1305 lbs

>another yuropoor larping as a burger thread

Save and retort friends

If it can tow 750lbs I wouldn't tow anything with it. That's barely a jet ski and it's trailer. I doubt your car is rated for 750lbs of tongue weight.

Point taken. so which of those numbers are the most relevant to be looking at, and comparing to, the cars max tow weight then?

Im guessing the Gross Weight?

>In a truck it can pull 12k pounds. in a sedan it cant pull 2k?
It's more than just the engine, it's also about the frame and suspension and how it reacts to pulling something heavy. Trucks have a big beefy frame built for towing.

Excuse me soy boy?

The dry weight of the trailer plus the amount of shit you want to carry.

I'm aware. But in a trailer with 300lbs tongue weight and trailer brakes why does it make a difference? A 300lb American could sit in the back seat no problem.

cool, thanks

Because the vehicle has to be able to control the load. Europe's answer is to use no tongue weight and use trailer brakes which is not safe. Too much weight being towed by a small car is just asking for a jack knife.

what makes a trailer "controllable" exactly. I understand that hooking up a 40ft cabin deluxe to a hyundai and trying to go 90mph down the interstate is a bad idea. But as a trucker I pull trailers that weigh 3 times as much as the vehicle pulling it. sometimes more.
>jacknife
It doesn't matter what you're driving. If you drive to fast, merge too quickly, and brake to hard it can happen.

Your semi tractor weighs 15k lbs and has a shitload of tire contacting the ground it can safely control a big load. Even a lightish travel trailer will fuck up a 3500 HD truck. It only gets worse as the tow vehicle gets smaller. Yes you can jack knife anything but it's way more likely to happen when a 3000lb car tows 6000lbs.

youtube.com/watch?v=-RvzVCU1wIo

if your a trucker, should you not have gone through some training that taught you about the forces of loads your pulling and its effects on brakes and the frame of a vehicle?

You can do whatever you want in the US. Why are you not doing it? Because you are a whiny millennial that rather complain about things on the internet.

you cant compare cars of those days to cars of these days. Those cars pretty much had the same frame as trucks, cars these days are built for MASSIMUM FUEL EKONOMIES so they are weak as fuck

yes, I did, and it boils down to going fast destroy them over time. taking it down to 55-60mph increases the life span of pretty much everything a lot longer. driven properly those trucks can last a million miles. Anticipating stops and downshifting to slow is a big part of it.
I'm not talking about that scenario. I'm more more intersted in a 2k pound trailer like pic related with something like a ford Taurus.

That trailer is probably closer to 3000lbs loaded up. That's going to put a fuckload of stress on a Taurus especially if you have hills or mountains to go up.

I don't have pics of Honda Fits towing little teardrop trailers, but you can go to any National Park and see 100 of those. So to answer OPs question directly

>Why can't we do this in the U.S?
You can, and many people do, in fact buying overpriced tiny teardrops is a huge trend right now. You just don't see them because you don't leave your house.

Why you DO see trucks/larger rigs-
-the US has WAY more open space/public land than Europe
-trips can go weeks outside of civilization if you are doing it right
-you can camp for free in the US
-there is lots of room in the US to store trailers or trucks you aren't using
-people have more expendable income in the US
-gas is cheap
-trailers are cheap
-trucks are cheap
-fuck you

I agree fuck him

I wouldn't listen to anything this trip faggot says, He has proven his retardation in other threads.

if this thread has taught us all one thing it is Fuck OP.

Are there any general laws on speeds ypu can do with trailers in the US? Here (atleast in Norway) you're restricted to 50mph/80kph

I ignore those signs (and generally any speed limit) whether I am towing or not but I am sure they say 55 Muricans per mile on freedomway.

In some places like California it's 55mph when towing. Most places there are not however. It's really dumb in the middle states with 80-85 mph limits. Any dipshit with a cheby thinks he can pull a 12,000 lb trailer at that speed because "duuurr it's the limit" and they usually speed past that.

What should I do if my trailer starts to wobble? Floor it, keep my speed or brake?

Floor it m8, pull the trailer out of it. Braking will make the trailer push you sideways by the hitch and jackknife.

Gross weight is the maximum weight for a loaded trailer and therefore the applicable weight in car ratings.

>I cant drive them both with me if i'm traveling. and I'd rather not sell my car.
if you're moving, rent a box truck and haul a 2 car trailer for both the car and truck.

Always? Because in Germany you can tow trailers at 100 kph if the combination doesn't exceed a certain weight, the trailer doesn't exceed a certain weight in relation to the vehicle (depending on whether it has an anti-fishtail coupling) and the trailer tires are below a certain age (and have sufficient profile as goes for all road vehicles). Moderate speeding is cheap here so it results in people with 80 kph trailers going 100 kph and people with 100 kph trailers going 120 kph.

Thanks, take a picture of my tow truck. Can tow almost 600kg with this bad boy

Not up a mountain pass at north american speeds.

>One slightly evasive move
THIS. As a European that's been in both the US and Europe I can tell you need far more robust vehicles in the US than in Europe. Anywhere.
The US has such terrible roads and junctions, and the general level of capability is so incredibly low, that you need to be able to swerve. Often.
As a European you might think Mediterranean driving is chaotic and aggressive, it's nothing compared with US driving. And to be able to 'stand you road' in the US you need a big car. The rules are not there to protect the innocent.
Also:
>Our highway speeds are higher.
noh.
>We have mountains and hills here.
Have I got news for you.... Every continent has that.

lmao

Is it true that you cannot get caught speeding in your personal car if you have a CDL?

Does your CDL-A replace your class F? or can you have both?

This is sort of the approach I've taken.
I put a class 1 hidden hitch on my car and I have a small utility trailer that I use if I have to move a couch, or pick up some lumber. The car's rated to tow just 1000 lbs, and the trailer is about 300. I've never had more that 500 lb in it anyway.
I would like a truck, but just wouldn't use it often enough to offset commuting day after day in it.
> related
Want to buy and customize one of these trailers.

Things we know:
1. A wobbling setup can only happen at speed. If you're driving very slow it will never wobble.
2. Wobbling takes energy to continue. quite a bit of energy. (hypothetically, if you were to continually wobble for a few minutes your tires will become quite warm.)
now, you can be a complete moron and floor it, like suggests, or you can, without locking off course, brake and wait until you don't have enough speed to continue the wobble. (happens quite fast).

>what should I do if I am experienced oversteer while turning
>well it takes quite a bit of energy to break traction on the rear tires at speed
>you can't oversteer while stopped
>so just slam on the brakes if you oversteer!

TRAILER BRAKES

Would keeping the vehicle as straight as possible and gently applying the trailer brakes correct a wobble?

tfw you get passed by a F350 pulling a 40' boat doing 85
Happens about once a week to me

Good luck towing that shit at 160 kph

>Hitch Weight 105 lbs

Most hitch (tongue) weights are about 10% of trailer weight. So a 750 lb max trailer will have 75 lb max hitch weight. 105 is close enough to not worry about it.

100 lbs is only a third of a mother-in-law anyway.

Correct answer.

>Eurokeks intensify

80s caddy would be built to handle a trailer but little cuckboxes aren't. If it doesn't have a full chassis, you'll fuck it by towing shit.

>bigger = better.
>that is their life motto

youtu.be/dp9ch-dAKk0

One big reason is Americans won't drive manuals. The manual versions of cars can often tow at least 1,500 lbs, hell my small 4 cylinder has a rated capacity of I think 3,000. But that is going to eat an auto in short time, boiling out the coolant any time it isn't in lockup. You'd need to retrofit a big cooler and often it won't fit without significant modding.

Even less than towing, I never understood why CoE trucks never picked up in the US. I'd figure maximizing bed space would be a must have for work vehicles globally, but americans don't seem to like them. Why is that?

Either the cab is forward-tilting, which adds expense and can affect safety in smaller trucks; or you have to pull out half the cab to access the engine through the doghouse. Either way, maintenance is a bitch. Our roads don't require that inconvenience.

You do see them in some of the more crowded cities, but at highway speeds they also suck down the fuel being so fuck un-aerodynamic.

In the US, driving, as well as anything else you do, is about appearance. You got to look bad ass or you're a 'cuck'.
Buying anything solely for the functional purpose is very uncommon.
Even buying a shitbox is done to convey a message. That you don't follow stereotypes.
It's one of the reasons most firstworld countries get the feeling of a thirdworld country (but with lots of money) when they see the US. Visual blingbling is important.

I remember my family as a kid pulled a camper no problem across the continent with a 626 (can’t remember if 6 or 4, assuming 6)

Because we don't need to save space, especially at the expense of crashworthiness.

Because fuck you and your cuckmobile, I have heavy ass shit to move and it still runs

It’s not the engine that matters. A civic could pull a shit load of weight but it doesn’t have the drivetrain to do it very well or the suspension to take the weight safely or the brakes to stop the load safely. The engine is really he least of your concerns when it comes to towing

Oh hey a fellow Missourian.

Because America is the land of excess.

americans "truck" companys have effortlessly tricked the brainlets into thinking they need to buy a ford F350 with all the extra features just to tow i tiny trailer or "haul" a lawnmower

post your econoboxes towing things

>pickups can handle rough or offroad conditions
>pickups get better highway economy
>pickups are easier to maintain for the average consumer
>pickups are more comfortable to ride long distance and can carry more people
>pickups can be fitted with side boxes to carry tools and things while still having bed space
>used pickups are cheap and plentiful
>if you’ve got more than what can fit in the back, get a trailer or just ship it on a semi
Nobody really uses them as serious haulers, they’re more suited as general workhorses than actual shipping or transporting of goods. We’ve got vans and semis for that kind of stuff.

We have Canters, Hino cabovers and Izuzu cabovers in North America. Problem is most only have a 3.0 diesel and are almost dangerously slow even in the city. You can get them with 6 liter engines but they're still suited for city delivery shit. Your average F250 can do more work than one of those things and you can still use it as a personal vehicle.

Differences in regulation mostly.
In Europe the over-all length of the truck (with trailer) is limited, in the US it's only the truck and the trailer individually. How long the tractor in a semi is doesn't matter, it just can't have another cargo space.

Would you a Geo Metro convertible that was used by a PO to tow things?

How will europoors ever recover?

Seems that it was upgraded to actually tow things? Yes, either way.

that thing is beautiful
10/10 would daily

>Either way, maintenance is a bitch

Tilt forward COE trucks are probably the easiest vehicles to work on because everything is exposed once you titlt the cab forward.

The main they don't seem as popular reason is stigma and you know this is true.

Secondly, for those who don't care about the stigma it is the safety. The safety issue is not because of the tilting cab because they get locked down harder than your chastity clamp but because of the obvious limited space for crush zones

You haven't noticed that the frame is bent downwards between the cab and the bed?

We get trucks because your shitbox cannot do this...this boat is at the very limit of this trucks towing capacity. You will never get the trailer alone out of the water with your Renault econobox

Nice ute m8.

i grew up in a country where a large percentage of the people sail. a significant percentage of people own one or more boats.
and none of them think about transporting boats with a trailer. You either rent if you go far away or make sure your boat is where you want it to be... by sailing it there.

No one cares about your little shithole you dumb nigger

We can, OP. It just sucks.
>Be me, see Craiglist advertisement
>Guy is selling his sons stuff off dirt cheap
>Call the guy to see if the weight set is still there
>Tells me he's doing spring cleaning and he'll even give me the squat rack if I pick it up by noon
>Proceeded to tell me it's first come first serve, someone else is interested as well
>On my way right now, I'll be over with cash after I make it to the bank
>Truck has been sitting since the beginning of spring, yard is a mucky disaster
>Spring time so it has been raining on and off
>Walking towards the truck and my feet are sinking down into the grass
>Jump in the truck and it just starts sinking immediately, wishing I remembered to move it before the first thaw
>Get out and lock the front hubs, start tearing up the yard, KOs aren't doing any justice here
>No boards laying around, decided to just give her hell hoping momentum carries me through as crawling isn't working
>Backed up as far as I could and gave it hell, about 5' from the cement and I was down to the diff
>Royally pissed off as now my truck is stuck and I destroyed my yard
>Jumped in the Sentra and tried pulling the truck, laughable one wheel peel
>Fuck it, decided to hook my Sentra up to the small utility trailer
>It's only going to be a 15 mile trip with 800lbs on the trailer
>Get to the guys house and he helps me load the trailer
>Tells me my car is squatting
>Explained to him my truck is stuck, made a mess of my yard in a hurry
>Entire drive home was nerve wrecking, only reason the Sentra has a hitch is because of the previous owner
>Probably way past the rated limit, the trailer just pushed the car downhills

Wouldn't bother with it again. IIRC the hitch was off center as well, but it was a slow drive home.

Made out okay. Squat rack, 2 olly bars, 650#s in plates, garbage bench for $300 though.

>Leaving your boat in frozen water

>his marina has no storage facility.

>Not enjoying numerous lakes throughout the year
>Stuck with poison water year round
Coastal fags btfo.

Yeah it's different in the US or Canada. Unless you live on the lake/river and have a dock you usually have to pull the boat out at the end of the day. Most people keep their boats at a dry storage lot with their travel trailer.

guess you do..

>>>>>his lakes are poisonous?!??
Dude, all sperging EU vs US aside..
If there are lakes with poison water in your country you shouldn't be dicking around with hauling your boat from a to b to c... you should make sure your lakes arent poisonous.

Fuck off ESL. Come back when you aren't retarded

Salt water, user.

Why don't we do it the less effective way in the US?

Because we're not poor and can afford more than one vehicle. Towing with a car is for poor people.

You mean brackish water?
Or do you just call all non-fresh water 'poisonous'?

>Make as much power as a semi truck
>Can barely tow a toy boat

Your kid and mine look fairly similar though

>Your average F250 can do more work than one of those things and you can still use it as a personal vehicle.

How so?

That sounds a bit dodgy

>This 5,000 lbs TRUCC has a 1,900 lbs payload rating
>BIG REAL MAN

Lol can your jap crap even do this?

That squat...

that just gives it more character

my driving teacher told us about how one time he was driving and this truck infront was towing a boat and kept speeding up, causing it to wobble. well him being a driving teacher he knew what was gonna happen so he passed the truck. literally right after he passed the truck he looked in the rear view mirror and saw the truck and trailer rolling multiple times.

moral of the story: if you get a wobble, slow down