ITT: what cheap first car you'd advise your son to get, if you had one at driving age right now

ITT: what cheap first car you'd advise your son to get, if you had one at driving age right now

I'd go with a 2004-2007 lancer vrx, year depending on what's available in the area
>looks decently sporty
>very nice manual gearbox, quite forgiving for new drivers too
>2.4l engine gives it a bit of go, but not enough to lose control and wrap around a tree
>above average safety rating for the time
>bulletproof quality, and cheap readily available parts if something does go wrong
>fwd, no driftz (I think we've all fucked up a drift and nearly broke our car when we were young and dumb)

i find whatever is being used as a taxi is usually a reliable cheap car

Something stick that costs less than 4k, and doesn't have a ton of power.

Anything toyota, hatch sedan or wagon, no suv or crossover, manual, preferably hand winder windows. They’re indestructible if properly maintained and even if the electrics fuck out you can still drive it. I had a ‘98 Camry that I’m sure had been written off and repaired (half of the car was bodyfill) and I had it 9 years until it blew a head gasket and would’ve cost more than it was worth to repair. Fuck Mitsi that isn’t an evo, and even then fuck ‘em

Protégé5/323.

Small, fuel efficient and fun.

Manual, of course.

I would give my teenage daughter my camaro and teach her to wrench

strangely this.
also crown vic

she absolutely would not want it

Manual Fox body Mustang. The 5.0s are plentiful so my son/daughter could get one dirt cheap and parts are everywhere in either junkyards or via aftermarket. 225 hp isn't really considered a lot by modern standards, they'd be just fine with that.

Bullshit. U don't know anything about me sucka

Integra gsr

Probably a 1st Gen Mazda 3 tbqh.
Actually for pretty much all of the reasons you mentioned. (Except power if I got a 2.0 which is possible kek) Manual of course. Also I'm very familiar with them so wouldn't have to pay someone for maintenance. Seems like a great starter that could keep him happy for however long he wants to keep it running.

>what is fuel consumption

Bump

I thought lancers were shit reliability?

All Mitzis are

>first car
>2.4l

What are you even trying to imply?

Safe car's are all relative to the kind of accident the car is involved in.

Get your son something cool and fast, but have him learn to appreciate it.

geo metro for wrenching or vw 6n2 for reliable

shut up fool

>ITT: what cheap first car you'd advise your son to get, if you had one at driving age right now
Id get him something that needed some work about 2 years before he turns 16. Spend the next 2 years or so fixing all the issues so he knows about cars. Spend some time at the track so he knows how cars behave at the limit and when he crosses the limit. At least that is what i'm doing with my daughter, the car is a 986 S

cant go wrong with one of these

A base model VE commodore, like every kid should start in. Small cars are a meme, they need to learn to drive a proper sized car.

Panther body

>collapsible metal death trap
The guy said he gave a shit about safety.

>986 S
that was my dream first car. instead I got a camry for $1k, drove it into the ground while I grew my business, and got a 996 at 19

something slow and miserable. get him a Toyburu.

Unironically a Civic for $3k.
t. advised my little brother to get one and he did, so far it's worked out well for him

My first car was a 2.5, what's wrong with that?

>Anything less than 2.5 l

I'd get him a severely de-tuned panther with economy tune and have the computer limit revs at 3.5k

I'm fucking Mexican and in the military. My daughter would literally be Michelle Rodriguez driving this to highschool smoking cigs in a leather jacket

you need to lose your virginity before you have a son

In my area's nearest city, Crown Vics are THE taxi. Though i'd probably get my kid a Grand Marquis just for the extra amenities.

>gets a "clean" 1st gen Mazda 3
>2 months later whole car is rusted
no.

unironically this. it was my first car. you can find a very good one for very cheap. just watch out for the 1MZ, make sure its been maintained properly or else sludge. otherwise 5SFE is a tank.
>comfy
>cheap
>goes from A to B
>extremely reliable
>can put nice/cheap wheels on it and it'll look great.

I helped my son get a Chev Cavalier...it was so he could drive to/from college at a reasonable cost...that was almost 15 years ago...

>I'm a Mexican
Wouldn't be proud of that, user.

>In the military
If you didn't have bad luck you probably wouldn't have any luck at all

>She'd be smoking cigs
Yeah, you're definitely in the military.

Whatever on craigslist that's 1000 USD, standard trans, 4 banger, and not falling apart from rust (it's possible, that's what my first car was)

Am i an autist if i want to get Audi 90 B2/B3 as my first car?
Will i get fucked maintaining it?

Probably a late model or Camry or something since I'm not a fucking 18 year old single parent working at McDonald's.

Depends how tall he is. Accord coupe or Civic i4 auto, with an emphasis on good healthy tires.

Kid can fuck off with whatever car he wants when he can understand maintaining and costs of a basic economy car first, and then he can be told "it's 2 or 3 times this for a truck or sports car" and let him make his own decision.

Eh, not like a high schooler would be going a ton of places. School, MAYBE work (I'm not gonna let him/her work if their grades aren't already good. That would take attention from improving), and the occasional going places with friends.

>$10k
Fuck me that's an awful value.
Could almost get an integral type r

I claim these >Trips

Why get a Civic over a Acura TL or Integra? Or even a Prelude

>TL
Too fast for a beginner
>Integra/prelude
Rice tax, and they're all going to be beat to shit riced/niggerrigged shitboxes that are more trouble than a new driver/someone with no wrenching skills can handle.

'08-'11 Impreza 2.5i
>forgiving 5MT
>170hp but doesnt feel as fast or turn as well as a civic
>simple mechanical car
>EJ253 is reliable with regular oil changes and not treating it like shit (cold starts, heavy load before warming up)
>awd so its good for winter if you live in that kind of area; pretty reassuring as a parent paired with 4 good winters
>excellent safety ratings
>hatch could be nice for college / uni / moving in and out of different places
>plenty of people selling on craigslist

Only negative is economy wont be good compared to a civic or corolla.

A lot of people want to get a shitty beater for their kids so they 'learn' or whatever. I would be a bit of an overprotective parent I think, and go for high safety standards/reliability. desu cant go wrong with any > 10 yo Jap sedan these days.

a 350z

Vs ss ute
>v8
>slow as fuck
>no back seats so no car full of dickhead m8s egging him on to do dumb shit.

Chevy/ GMC 1500 pickemup truck with the LS based 5.3/4.8. i currently drive one due for its ~147th oil change at 440,350 miles.

that's a nice car

Subaru Impreza, Lexus IS250, Mercedes C250, Volvo S60, Hyundai Sonata, Honda Accord,

8th gen Civic. Si if he's a good boi.