Noticed oil was low on dipstick so I scheduled appointment at dealer for oil change...

Noticed oil was low on dipstick so I scheduled appointment at dealer for oil change, as I was driving there only 5 miles away I noticed the low oil light came on I kept going until I got there. Did I just cause a fuckton of premature wear on my engine?

>5 miles
I don't think going around the corner will blow your engine up unless you haven't had your oil changed in 20+ years.

But for the light to come on it must be dangerously low?

Low oil level light or low oil pressure light?

To be real fucking honest I think it's oil pressure light (which is 100x worse)

No, but next time just drive to the store and toss a quart of oil into it. How old is this vehicle?

It's a 2013 BRZ, I was being a careless faggot since dealer was assuring me I'd be fine changing oil at 6k miles. This happened at 4500, now I check my oil every gas up since that scare. Did a quick look online and it seems to be the ONLY oil light for the car is low oil pressure. Car has been running fine but it's fair to say some damage was done?

It's probably fine. Did it come on during a turn?

yes, keep a few quarts in the truck

this.
if you notice our engine is low on oil. just add some.
then follow up with oil change if you feel the need.
if you keep losing oil regularly then you have some kind of engine problem. its either leaking from somewhere or its burning it up

U r a tard

some newer cars like yours just have a habit of eating oil. The oil is consumed often times before an oil change is required from oil wear. This is common, and you'll just need to top your oil off every couple months. No need to worry

No driving straight, stayed on whole trip
Yes, you think damage was done? I'm going to just get oil changes no later than 3500 miles while keeping eye on oil consumption
I know this
Should I be topping a ""new"" car off or just change oil every 3500 miles?

You always have to check your oil level.... See this is why I don't buy used cars. I really wouldn't be surprised of most new cars are running with low oil.

>Should I be topping a ""new"" car off or just change oil every 3500 miles?
I would change it at 6k and top it off. State of CA says you can go to 7k in "ideal" conditions, so 6k is safe

OP here, should I start sending some oil samples to lab? How can I check if I did damage?
No problem mixing oils? Dealer uses non brand bulk subaru oil

1000 miles into your next oil change send a sample to Blackstone. Describe what happened to them and they'll tell you if you have excess amounts of metals that might indicate you did x, y, or z.

The lab will give you a full analyse of what should and should not be in your oil.
Don't mix the oils.

Even if your engine did receive some wear (which you didn't, look at vids of people riding around without oil and how long they go for before seizing. And yours still had a "recommended" amount of oil in it until 5 miles of driving), what are you going to do about it? Nothing, so stop worrying.

Put whatever appropriate oil you want in it, mixing oils is perfectly fine so says every search result on Google

Thanks men

>mfw my oil pressure failure light came on while driving

stop trying to make this face happen! It's not going to happen!

You're too late.

For the future, if your low oil light comes on, stop the car immediately and shut it off. The light doesn't come on until there is virtually no oil.

Supposedly OP'S car doesn't have low oil light, said it has low oil pressure light

why didn't you just put a bit more oil in before leaving? like 100-200ml of it?

Buy a magnetic drain plug, and see what it picks up

No, not really, the oil lights come on when its simply LOW, not 100% dry of oil.

That's not so bad, if its a real oil pressure gauge like on my Mercedes it continuously goes up and down, its at full pressure when I am accelerating, goes down to halfway when I am cruising at constant speed and goes down to 1/1.5 bar at redlights and when idling.