Looking to buy a fun second vehicle later this year, and an E39 540i seems interesting

Looking to buy a fun second vehicle later this year, and an E39 540i seems interesting.
I know the general consensus is older german cars will nickel and dime you into oblivion. With that said - for those with experience, do you feel like they are worth it in spite of that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DXOxLZkYuZA?t=3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just get an M5 at that point. In my experience they were less costly than my 540i Wagon. 540is arent too expensive to maintain. Just watch out for guide failure and make sure tensioners are good. And get a manual. The autos aren't fun. Everything else shouldnt be too expensive despite what the benchracers here say.

only reason to get an e39 that isn't the m5 is for a 525 or 540i wagon
both of which are rare, but worth it

why 525i over 530i? same engine minus the power

530i nikasil liners?

both are identical engines minus the displacement

youtu.be/DXOxLZkYuZA?t=3

Was kinda surprised, isn't Leaf supposed to be very slow?

never got a 530i wagon in the states
but a 530i engine swap's rather easy
or you can supercharge it

it's moderately quick to 60 then gives the fuck up
that one also looks heavily stripped for weight savings

528i automatic is slow as shit
like 9-10 seconds 0-100
540i manual in comparison does 5.8secs 0-100

>528i

8.8 sec factory spec for AT box but who knows how broken it is by now.

Still that Leaf keeps up really nice.

0-100 MT

528i - 7.5 sec
540i - 6.2 sec

people are doing way better than that with the 540
540i 6 spd is capable of 5.5 second 0-60 times, that would translate in sub 6 second 0-62 times
plus it’s underrated from factory, it is pushing approx 300hp according to dyno results

>for those with experience, do you feel like they are worth it in spite of that?

I daily drive a 25 year old Mercedes and yes I think it's worth it. Budgeting for maintenance isn't hard if you're already good with finances. Shit like vacuum lines don't just disintegrate like people on here tell you, unless the cars really been neglected, but that being said it will need TLC in the first year of ownership.

Find one with a low number of owners or one with service history, you might find one with both but the sellers usually suffer from know-what-i-got-itis so you need to be good at negotiating (not just asking "duurrr what's your lowest price??").

yes
preferably an 03 m sport
don't cheap out on the initial purchase,get a well sorted example

>bmwshit
>ever
VAG or mercedes is the way to go

shit quality bait m8

excluding low production /////////M cars and 80s shitboxes that are unafordable now, VAG is actually a better choice

VAG is only a good choice for 1.9 tdi fwd econoboxes
Leave the big boy cars to BMW

Do you like welding? Better learn that if you are going to own a BMW.

It will be like driving a 2014 Ford Fusion. A top end car from 15-20 years ago is an entry level car today.

And build quality wasn't amazing either.

???
the e39 is extremely well built
and it drives NOTHING like a ford shitbox lol

i'd rather weld and old bmw than drive a vag peasant mobile