ITT: Cars that should have never stopped being made

ITT: Cars that should have never stopped being made.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x5vi2ql
autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport/aston-martin-valkyrie-could-race-le-mans
youtube.com/watch?v=BW4xJ6SMeH8
topgear.com/car-reviews/cadillac/v-62-4dr-auto/first-drive
topgear.com/car-reviews/kia/stinger/22-crdi-gt-line-5dr-auto/first-drive
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is this a joke? That car sucked so bad.. All show no go, and a lot of other problems

260hp and 2800 lbs. isn't exactly slow.

The V8 Ford GT, man i remember when these had 8 cylinders and were actually powered by an american engine.

R.I.P Carroll Shelby and 2000s Ford you were my favorite.

Well yeah, it's a pontiac. But it's all for show, if you are concerned with speed you would have gotten a G8 or GTO/Firebird...

Perhaps this is more your speed.

A fucking reasonably sized wagon from BMW. I'll reserve one tomorrow if they announced a 2 series wagon today. Don't even care if it comes with a 4 cylinder, I'll swap that shit from New with an S54.

Speaking of 2000s Ford the Crown Vic going hit me pretty hard as the end of the classic american style land barge era. wish Ford had tried to update it so it could become what the Century was for Toyota. an acient package wrapped in new-ish skin relatively unphased by modern styling trends.

Best hatchback ever made.

The poobaru ute. these things looked cool as shit and despite whatever flaws they had they could've been improved in a generation or two if they kept em going.

>wish Ford had tried to update it
They considered it, but the deck was stacked against it.
For 1, the platform hadn't been properly updated since 1991. All the tooling was over 20 years old, and break downs of the machinery to make it caused delays in production. The factory needed an overhaul
2: In 2012, new safety regulations were put in place. Updating the car to meet them would have required a complete ground up redesign.

Ford was barely skirting by as it was. Revamping the crown vic factory and developing a new model would have bankrupted the entire company.

They will continue as one of the greatest shit boxes ever over the next decade or two.

My man

Thunderbird

The Chevy Corvair.
RR layout with a flat 6, air cooled engine
Was an American econobox with European vibes
If its reputation wasn’t ruined, it could’ve gone places

The Jeep Wagoneer. The hipster tax on them would be lower had Chrysler produced them for at least a couple more years.

>tfw no single cab short truck.

>unironically begging for the s2000
>everybody here shits on the toyobaru for being torqueless

Makes me think

the chevy s-10 was a good little light weight truck with decent gas mileage. Wasn't the fastest, wasnt the strongest, just a utilitarian type truck that could go back and forth to work and light work type stuff. The 4x4 version was pretty damn good and you could toss a 350 into it pretty easily too.

>Killed by it's own parent company for being too fast
What a shame. I don't know if I can ever forgive GM.

this. i find it hard to believe ford can't make an $85,000 ford GT full time

Definitely this, holy shit. Some rich cunt should open up a factory just to make them again.

Perhaps not being manufactured now, but post-office LLV's use the bones of an altered s-10, and they are still being practically rebuilt for duty.

it's called the M2 these days

is this car worth buying?

yeah the good spec models are gonna be a future classic for sure

This

>modern global mega auto manufacturer
>specifically ford
>doing the right thing ever

see:

RWD Corollas.

The Jeep XJ could have done us much more good for much longer had it still be produced and sold to outsiders as cheap transportation like the Niva but better.

Honda Element
Honda S2000
RWD Corollas
AWD Matrix
WRX wagons
Ford Ranger, yes its coming back but why did it stop!

This. Its a very practical and unique car i was sad when chevy decided to discontinue it. If i had to get a new truck a new avalanche would be it. Most likely a future classic

They'd have had to update it eventually. In 2008, emissions regulations were tightened (which was why the Cobalt SS went from a supercharged i4 to a turbocharged i4), and in 2012, safety regulations were changed (a partial reason why the Crown Vic was killed)

no

>tfw Subaru didn't make a successor to the XT & SVX
no more turbodigital space subarus bros

It was a great looking car, but there was no excitement or performance credentials around it.

>american
Most of it including the chassis was developed by Lotus.

Do want the old Godzillas back. Since a good one R32 and especially the R34 will cost almost getting into the same territory as a new R35

These are actually really shit, you can get the Vr4 sedan and wagon for like $2k in NZ and theyre all fucked

one would think that an evo wagon is what godmachines dream about

You are thinking of the GT40. the 2005 GT was all american.

What's wrong with them?

The Ford GT in 2005 was based on the GT40 from a few years earlier though. Unless they changed every part of the car.

It wasn't. the entire car is unrelated except for the styling. they couldn't meet modern safety regulations using a car from the 60s as a base.

I'm refering to the Ford GT. The one clarkson purchased. dailymotion.com/video/x5vi2ql go to 33:50

Yea, i'm also referring to that one. its unrelated to the GT40. Top gear is memes and aren't to be cited as a source.

It hurts lads

I dont care manufacturer, or country, but:

>2 door hatchback
>rwd
>as simple as possible

I guess 2 series and toyobauru is the closest i can get

Pretty sure Clarkson is not memeing you on the GT as he did buy one.
Nothing to be ashamed of going to Lotus and other British companies. They do know how to make some great parts and Lotus know how to make great chassis and great handling cars.

He bought one but i don't see how that makes him anymore credible. the clarkson memes on the GT has been parroted since late 2000s youtube era. if such a thing were reality i'm pretty sure id be able to find it in wiki or Ford themselves or anywhere else on the internet.

Nothing wrong with having british anything and i like British cars myself but Television personalities make bad sources. i doubt anyone would like me to cite Donald Trump as a source unless i'm met with 100+ mutt/la creatura images.

my dad keeps saying these first gen s-10s in your pic are the epitome of shitbox unreliability, but thats the only person ive heard it from, is it true?

Well he's a car journalist. That is his main job. I'm pretty sure he'd have had these kind of discussions at ford since you had to be on a list to buy one.
As it stands I haven't seen anything stating that clarkson is incorrect here apart from people stating "it's all american". Which i'd say yields far less weight than an extremely well known car journalist. Feel free to show that he's memeing and it's incorrect.

Not him, but the '84 my family has had probably since new has had, as far as I know, hardly any major issues until the trans started slipping a couple years ago.

>Well he's a car journalist
He's not, hes an entertainer. Top Gear is also an entertainment Program much like Motortrend's Roadkill.

Motortrend/Autocar/SportAuto are journalist and they all document their interviews/discussions beyond off handed reference in an episode.
autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport/aston-martin-valkyrie-could-race-le-mans
Example with this article here.

>As it stands I haven't seen anything stating that clarkson is incorrect
Not really how it works. since he's the only one of the selected few to have supposedly had this "discussion" it would be on him to prove. he didn't even say who told him this so anyone could verify which would be seen as unprofessional in actual automotive Jurnalism.

>I'll reserve one tomorrow if they announced a 2 series wagon
Careful what you wish for

Subaru lost money on every svx that was sold

come think of it...

Maybe the minivan hasn't ruined BMW, maybe BMW has improved the minivan

I thought hipsters were all in on the global warming meme.

>not a journalist

Which is why he wrote for and still writes and reviews cars which go into newpapers and magazines. It's how he got into it by bring a car journalist.

I'm still seeing nothing that backs up the "all american" car. It is to spot the tyres are German and breaks are italian. So i'm inclined to say Clarkson isn't bullshitting.
Lotus helps set up cars for all sorts of companies. They were even involved with the Nissan GTR. So wouldn't surprise me.

>global warming
climate change mother fucker. get the proper term correct.

>maybe BMW has improved the minivan
lol no. It loses in basically every comparison to ANY other minivan.
Skilled driver can do a scandinavian flick with any shitbox. Only good thing about this beemer is not rolling over. If it was good handling though it would has a decent exit speed.

Fuck Ralph Nader

>Which is why he wrote for and still writes and reviews cars
This wasn't a written review or professional analysation. it was just him giving his commentary about the car and giving his passive aggressive snide remarks on americans which is his entertainment shtick (no offence taken on my part he is my favorite television personality). Clarkson has written professional reviews and did entire documentaries in automotive stuff though.
topgear.com/car-reviews/cadillac/v-62-4dr-auto/first-drive
topgear.com/car-reviews/kia/stinger/22-crdi-gt-line-5dr-auto/first-drive
These here are reviews from top gear for example.

>I'm still seeing nothing that backs up the "all american" car.
i'm not really sure what you're getting at. when Nissan advertises the GTR as a "Japanese car" they are referring to it being japanese built, designed and developed. if you break it down to tires (almost all tires that come with cars now-and-days are foreign and so are the brakes on every car although the GT came with eagle F1s which are american) the turbos on the XJ220 are Garrett for example but Clarkson never mentions this and still refers to it as a British super car in his appearances on top gear, he doesn't mention that the aston martin DB9s he liked so much used two duratecs fused together at the crank (these have both been documented btw) and he didn't try to grasp for things that are foreign on it and he just considers them British. no car is going to be 100% of anything down to the last screw but if Lotus was supposedly as involved as you are suggesting i would see some evidence in the car's bio. (he's making a big claim that the entire body is british)

Imagine if the mad lads at Volvo actually brought it back?

The best looking corvette imo. I love this body style and I love how these are going down in price

My original poke was normally to see how Americans respond when they claim it's all American. As quite a few sperg out over it.
But yeah most cars have intervension from other companies. Especially in the UK which is normally engines for us. It doesn't bother me that bong cars use bits from other companies but Americans seem to get a tad agitated over it for some reason.
Also i am a lotus fanboi.

The amount of time spent on the body work to get the doors flush with the roof is cost prohibitive. Every one left the factory with body filler.

>all that plastic body work
Ugly.

All fairy tales to me, boy of the soy.

I could speak for some of the agitation as while i have no problem with american cars having foreign parts in them (the syclone/typhoon trucks i like used Mitsubishi turbos and the C4 ZR1's engine was developed by Lotus and Lamborghini casted the viper engines) i just take issue when people say "X american car is only good because of Y foreign involvement" when you'd never hear that sentiment about cars like the Mcalaren F1 or Mercedes Mclaren SLR or Nissan R390 cars that also had some kind of foreign involvement.

they do make one, its called the GT350R. sure you could rework it into a MR platform but why bother encroaching on Mustang sales when the S550 platform is just fine for the job?

the power and performance for the two models are extremely similar, the GT is just more aerodynamic with some fancy tech hardware thrown in.

99% of scientists can't be wrong

Really? How about when relativity btfo classical mechanics?

>climate change and pollution isn't real because because relativity

congrats on the autism

>99% of scientists can't be wrong
>Give example 99% of physicists were wrong
rub a few more brain cells together next time

yup, you have the 'tism

says the tripfag

I'm fucking baffled at the sheer asshurt you exhibit you fucking faggot. How long are you gonna cry about "muh GT hasn't a V8 anymore" you manchild?

i am not a tripfag

not only a 'tist but also a newfie

soviet ffs stop answering to that untermensch. Have some decency

If Mazda makes an RX9 that doesn't have a rotary but instead has some other shitbox engine that wasn't even originally designed by mazda how asshurt do you think mazda manchilds would be? how asshurt do you think toyotafags would be if the Supra had a BMW engine instead of a toyota one (and they are already asshurt that its a BMW re-skinned as a supra in the first place). its almost like JDM guys want Japanese cars to be powered by Japanese engines and are upset if its revealed not to be the case.

Honestly even if it is a BMW engine as long as it doesn't fall apart like regular BMW it should be fine. Toyota is afraid of trying to do fun cars on their own now, which is an understandable stance to have.

A 480 here in the United States. Hell, any god damned Volvo hatchback in the US that wasn't total Ford era trash.
>fuck Volvo and fuck the C30

I feel that the C30 is a somewhat decent evolution of the 480. Granted the popups are obviously gone, but they still have a lot of design elements in common. They could have butchered the thing and it ended up as a fairly decent job.

Talking about swedes...

>Saved for literal years to get a 2010 C30
>bought with 9k at 95k miles
>timing belt done incorrectly by shop at 100k miles
>VVT tensioners now leaking oil
>front axels are ruined
>air con going bad
>heater quit working
>front seat motors stopped working
>SRS airbag light

I loved this car, I really did. But god dammit it's bleeding me dry and I've only got 130k on it. My mechanic told me to sell the thing but I still have 4k left to pay on it. I'm pretty pissed I made such a bad choice even if its only my second car.

That could happen on any other used car really. Barring the bad timing chain job, those issues are relatively normal for a car that age.

Now imagine you bought a shit car that you hate and had to spend all that money to keep it running. At least you have something you enjoy. I had to replace the transmission of the wife's BMW X5 that I fucking despise with all my soul for north of 7k. That, dear user, is being bled dry.

Enjoy your Volvo while you can.

man, that sounds like hell
I own a c30 too and eveything that broke on mine was either my fault for breaking it or not replacing it in time since my car is 10 years old now
I love the car too (wish it was a bit more powerful though)

>For 1, the platform hadn't been properly updated since 1991. All the tooling was over 20 years old, and break downs of the machinery to make it caused delays in production. The factory needed an overhaul
I've always heavily doubted that considering in 2003 there was a massive update of the platform that overhauled big parts of the suspension and the way they were moved means the same frames can't have been used for 91-02 and 03-11.

That's BS. a 1985 body can bolt onto a 2007 frame, even with the updated suspension. pic related.
The overall body wasn't updated since 1991. The frame, barring the 2003 front suspension redesign, was unchanged since 1979.

Pic related, the Mod Box. A 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis 2 door sedan on a 2007 P71 frame, powered by a procharged 4.6 V8