Dumb Questions Thread - /dqt/

General /dqt/

I had a career fair today, should I add the people I talked to on linked in?

Other urls found in this thread:

personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0585&FundIntExt=INT
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatility_arbitrage
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes.

why does law use such verbose language, surely you can be specific and clear without being overly complex?

kek answer: too keep the pleebs out of the law.

Real answer: to sound smart. Lawyers want to sound smart to try and scare the opposition.

Sometimes an eloquent word is poignant, but sometimes a simple word works just as well.

I...I'm not a pleeb

Something a pleeb would say.

> I want to retire at 40, I'm 23 now. Can I just put all my money in VSTAX without it being in an IRA or 401k (which are both age dependent)? Aside from the money getting taxed, why not do this? I never hear about people doing that.

personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0585&FundIntExt=INT

Bump

>VSTAX
Yeah you can put your money in whatever you want. Only point of IRA/401k is you can put money in pre-tax. Putting money in post-tax means you have less to invest but if thats ok with you then do it.

Have to pay capital gains tax on your gains though.

Are those simulated market games any good?

which method of payment does Kraken offer to Canadians wishing to buy buttcoins?

what can u do with crypto monies. can u buy potato?

Getting a Finance degree at cal poly pomona. I'll be turning 29 soon. All my life I have been nothing more than a NEET. Chances of getting laughed at by HR and fellow peers?

Why isn't it a good idea to buy minishrt+minilong/bull+bear or similar before important days, such as the general meeting of shareholders or before unveiling some product?
You're betting on volatility, and the leverage is per day, so you won't get anally devastated by that.
Example: Federal Reserve will make an announcement about interest rate. They'll either raise, lower, or stay the same. No matter what, something with happen to the bank stock price. You buy $100 of BEAR BAC X15 and $100 of BULL BAC X15.

>BAC goes up by 10%
>bear dies (-100%)
>bull goes up by 10%*15 = 150%
>25% profit

>BAC goes down by 10%
>bull dies (-100%)
>bear goes up by 10%*15 = 150%
>25% profit

only cryptopotato

Thanks

your still humanly fast to catch the trend desu and i have a 200ms reaction speed

You misunderstand me. You hold them for 24 hours. You don't catch a trend, you predict the volatility based on the news.
>federal reserve is making an announcement at 11am tomorrow
>at market open you go short and long with 15x leverage on bank of america
>when the market closes, you sell both certificates
>one is dead, the other one is profitable if the stock went up OR down by >6.67%
The leverage is per day (not linear), so you can't do it yourself with a stoploss.

accepted a job last week that's seasonal, part time, pays $13.5/hr, and is at a great luxury ecommerce company

just got an email an hour ago from a denim company i applied to a month ago, to do a phone interview for a position that i'm more skilled in, and i requested $22/hr in the application

my dilemma is that i hit it off with the first company, and see a lot of long term advantages in terms of connections and eventually starting my own company. but, the pay isnt great, it's not a position i went to school for (though it's a part of the industry i wish they had taught me while in school), and my work weeks could range from 1 day to 5 days over the next 3 months

i feel like a dickhead if i were to say nvm to the seasonal position and jump to the other company, but i'm also struggling with making a short term vs long term decision

what's the better choice, and not the obvious choice

*note that im not necessarily trying to be in the fashion industry for money, but rather doing something i like and am skilled at, and making money

There is always an inflection point where people decide whether or not to take you seriously. Most people back down and give excuses in some fashion. If you stand by your decisions (assuming you have a solid rationale) you can not only gain their respect, but make them bad for ever doubting you without pointing it out to them.

My guess is because what ever you are investing in is priced such that the required change in price to be profitable will only be met 50% of the time on average. If you can figure out a way to be better than average then go for it.

First get the offer from the other company before worrying about the decision.. It should become easier to decide once you have both offers.

If you dump the other company, it's nothing personal.. and they should understand that and you should be be able to convey your reasons in a way they'll empathize with.

IMO, knowing what you've told me if i got the offer from the 22$ company I'd go there.

If you're worth 22$ then get paid that, 13$ can call up the guy they rejected who is only getting 8.5$. It's their fault for underbidding your value if they lose you (of course, this is not the attitude to convey to them... don't burn bridges.)

yeah the money is what is looming over my head currently

i only have an AA, but the apparel industry truthfully doesnt care about an education as much as they care about experience

the seasonal position had an already established wage, but the benefits i see in the company is that i'd be able to meet buyers, photographers, models, and learn logistics first hand, along with having the connection of a luxury ecommerce platform (they're less of an actual retailer than they are a provider of a platform for boutiques to merchandise online through)

the other company is an established premium denim manufacturer who it seems liked my portfolio and didn't see my $22/hr as aggressive (given my resume, i would want at least $20/hr but the industry seems to only be offering between minimum wage and $16)

so money wise, the denim company is the obvious choice

however, i have no debt, no bills to worry about, and so the money, from my perspective, is an advantage one has over the other, and not entirely the sole factor in my decision

being 21, and having struggled for a year out of school to land even just an interview, this decision is scary as fuck per my future

No, that's wrong. It exists, apparently companies don't like selling bull and bear certs in times of high volatility.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatility_arbitrage
Maybe that's why I can't short our local meme pump and dump stock.

I made a late payment to my car payment and credit card, both two days late, it's not that I didn't have money, I was just so fucking busy I didn't have time to do the payment

Will it affect my credit score? At this point I've just set up auto-pay

Credit bureaus consider payments late after 30 days.

You are fine.

Not sure if right board, but would you put a photo of yourself on your resume? Why or why not?

I still for the life of me dont know how options work. Can someone explain the options spread that is found on the ootions tab on yahoo finance (of any given company)

is getting a finance degree worth it?

How has it worked out for other finance majors?