Why do people pretend like there is any difference between brake systems? It's a hollow piece of metal...

Why do people pretend like there is any difference between brake systems? It's a hollow piece of metal. There is nothing to compete against. You can use different materials in an effort to dissipate heat faster and reduce weight but there is no actual difference in performance. Components like the master cylinder, brake lines, piston count, and brake pad material all contribute infinitely more to "braking feel" and performance than the fucking calipers. And even if you are a pro F1 faggot who feels the need to shave off 100 grams of weight from their calipers to save weight, it's not like a pair of Chinese drilled/slotted rotors and calipers can achieve 99% of the same level of performance.

Brakes are a meme. Prove me wrong

>breaks are a meme
>*dies*

Try braking hard 10 times a lap for 30 minutes at a track day and tell us this. Street cars are fine with stock brakes - good for 1 panic brake event but not 2 in a row.

>breaks
yanking your chain aside, bigger brakes are going to make you slow down faster. They'll also handle heat much better. I don't think OP get's it.

they look cool, which is 90% of the reason why anyone buys anything

>breaks
I'm retarded.

Assuming the previous brakes already could lock the tires, bigger brakes would actually slow you down more slowly technically since they would be heavier... But yeah as the guy above said, after lap 10 stock brakes are glowing

Brake systems or brake calipers? You'd be right on brake calipers for the most part. The only differentiation in performance would be things like heat dissipation into the fluid, optimized piston sizes, and the ability to quick change pads.

>bigger brakes are going to make you slow down faster.

nope not true at all. a piece of shit 1 piston caliper from a honda goldwing can lock your tires just as well as your meme brembos can. like i said, the only thing youre competing here for is "braking feel" which allows you to control the braking more effectively. there is no difference in performance. thanks for bringing this up btw, just adds to my original point that brakes are a meme

What are drum brakes, disc brakes and air brakes. Three different braking systems that are all in fact completely fucking different for different purposes and applications.

>Op is and always will be a raging bundle of sticks

You're not supposed to try to lock the tires while braking retard

But can they do this repeatedly without fading or boiling brake fluid. First time brake application is tire traction limited, tenth in a row will be your brake pads giving up.

OP has obviously never tried to do anything performance oriented with his car. Try braking from 100mph+ down to around 40mph as fast as you can multiple times in a row on stock brakes and tell me that brakes are a meme. I've done it and believe me pushing your brake pedal and not slowing down is not very fun.

bigger brakes is more better
though if you have discs front and rear, there is little reason that hawk pads wouldn't be enough unless it is a dedicated track car where a 5k brake upgrade is worth that extra .5 of a second. It really depends on what you want from your car

Bigger/better brakes are better at displacing heat, which keeps your braking potential for much longer, preventing fade, premature wear and loss of braking function as it heats up. Its not necessarily just because it displaces heat, but also because the materials used are better & more resistant. Multiple pistons also help put the pad much more evenly onto the disc, and allows for bigger pads to be used

Then there is the actual craftmanship - you'll find tons of cheap stuff that look good, but then you realise that the drilled holes are too close too eachother & causing cracks, that the slots haven't been filed down and that perhaps the steel just isn't of the highest quality and warps much too easily

all hail OP and his infinite engineering wisdom.

Now tell us that all springs are the same cause they're just twisty pieces of metal.

its a hollow piece of metal you fuckwit

>What are material properties
>what are alloys
>what is thermally dependent performance

high quality metals, ceramics and thermal barriers cost money to prevent brake fade

granted no one here would benefit from said things but if you seriously think the brake components in motogp and nascar are the same as what’s in your shitbox you’re going to grease spot at the 3rd turn from brake failure

tl;dr
it has less to do about “feel” and more about being able to stop at critical temps

Mine are so bad that i had basically no braking power after one lap at the ring

Go park at the overlook on the north end of the Tail of the Dragon (just before the dam), and watch the folks stopping after a hard run, and then see how you feel about the difference in brake setups.

>I love the smell of smoking brake rotors in the morning... Smells like... Victory.

>what is material science
>what are thermodynamics
>what is metallurgy

On a road car, driving on the road you are correct, cold rotor braking is 1000x more critical than resistance to fade. On a track not fading after 5 laps means you can actually enter a full day's competition and have fun.

is this guy serious?

Depends on the usage.
I have a friend who does rotors twice a year on his E320CDI and mind you he's a student who drives very little. His style is just very aggressive so he overheats them so the rotors get bent. In his case I bet some big ass brakes might even save him money provided he doesn't manage to overheat them as well.

Tell him to get some decent pads

I don't know what he runs but he's not the type to save on anything. I'm pretty sure it's just that he drives what's a luxury oriented car like a stolen race car. Gas to the floor, brake to the floor, gas to the floor, brake to the floor... Dude's fast tho.

>bigger brakes are going to make you slow down faster
Not true. The only factors when braking are:
>Brake ballance
>Whether or not the brakes have the ability to lock up the wheels
Optional
>The efficiency of the ABS system
That's why when they do 60-0 tests and say that ceramic brakes help slow the car down faster boils my blood.
Now, if you are extensively using the brakes, it's another story, because dissipating heat is what you need, to keep them in their optimal temp range, and that's why performance brakes are slotted and drilled most of the time. mightBenz described it pretty well.
What the actual fuck?
I drove 30 miles with a stuck brake caliper on the highway and didn't even need to change them. The rotor was red hot.

Pads can make a huge difference, the car I track has done 60 laps of Phillip Island in Australia, in a day and that's on original 1972 rotors, still got the same rotors on it now.

try a car from the 1980s or earlier then (if it even has disks)
see how little things have changed lol

>Why do people pretend like there is any difference between brake systems?
There is, many brakes are more heat resistant and don't fade as badly. Thats why people pay for them.

Wtf are you even talking about? Brakes have horsepower, ofcourse you can measure their performance. Bigger brakes have more surface area and pistons so they can apply more force, meaning they can apply more power to slow down the vehicle.

Are you confusing brakes with power limits? Cars can only output power based on their contact (grip). Big brakes may not make a difference if swapped to a stock econobox because the power limit of the car is so low. Bad balance, suspension that prioritizes interior volume, skinny low grip tires; these mean the car can't put down a lot of power. Swapping in a more powerful engine would only let you spin wheels as a burnout. Likewise bigger brakes wouldn't really decrease stopping distance as the stock brakes are already enough power to be at the limits of the car, you would only be able to lock your wheels more easily. So the power of your brakes is the power you can slow yourself down with, but the power limit of the car is how much of that power you can actually use.

I have those brakes. Well similar on my car.

my ctsv brake conversion on my gto made a world of difference.. plus ops mom swallowed my hog..

Should have gotten another color. Maybe yellow. There still amazing brakes though.

Forgot to ask. Are your rotors 2 piece or one piece rotors?

You’re an idiot.
My 6piston brembos say you’re a poorfag larper

chances are a shitbox's single piston blank disc brakes can activate ABS even with semi-slick street tires like an RE71

fade resistance and resistance to overheating are another story

OP is just a fag with cast iron calipers slinging around all the unsprung weight he can while screaming "I can still lock ma tiresss"

10/10 troll, would post again.

>good for 1 panic brake event but not 2 in a row.
ha. no.

Not him but yellow is not a good combo with gold.

i painted them that color.. yellow under gold..
FUUUU

1 pc.. stoptech cryo slotted.. love em.. got 65k miles out of the fronts when i ran stock calipers.. also ran hawk hps pads but they r loud af and suck in winter..

>Why do people pretend like there is any difference between brake systems?
You are stuck in thinking that racers and hooners drive the same as everyone else. They zoom up to a turn at high speed and then apply brakes hard to slow down to the speed they can do the turn. Thus, brakes heat up because they can do this on a lot of closely spaced turns. So they need more robust brake systems along with rotors that dissipate heat faster.

If you're driving at speed that doesn't force you to brake hard just before you try to turn, then you don't need more robust brakes and rotors.

big brakes are a waste of money if you don't have tires that can handle it

You're not supposed to lock your tires
Being able to brake more effectively is the difference in performance
Kill yourself busrider

For a motorbike bigger rotars offer more modulation which allows you to feel the perfect braking point before your wheel locks up giving you the best possible braking power.

I think i might switch to those 1 piece rotors you have they seem to have great reviews. I am getting tired of having to clean my rotors every year or whenever I do a tire/brake change because the "tech" does not properly torque the lugs or clean my mounting hub and the wheels start clicking when I turn.

i like how ur brain works good sir

1. Brakes overheat, some systems earlier, some systems later.
2. Brakes will fade when overheated, some systems earlier, some systems later.
3. Brake fade reduces brake performance significantly

Better brakes can make a difference if you manage to overheat your brakes, wich does happen on the track when you actualy go fast.
However there is little difference for normal street driving if you don't live in germany...

while it is fundamentally true that if your brakes can cause the tires to lock up, your braking power is as strong as it needs to be (not that locking up is the best way to brake on pavement, as we all know), as you cannot slow the rotation of the tires below zero.

people who make this point tend to leave out the second important factor which is a tire's ability to resist changes in momentum without breaking traction.

so while one piston brakes may be adequate to lock up discount schwab tires on a metro, they will probably be fully inadequate at providing full braking power on pilot sport cups or other performance tires