If you just bought a new car, how can you determine what data your car collects and sends to the botnet?

if you just bought a new car, how can you determine what data your car collects and sends to the botnet?

read this today...

arstechnica.com/cars/2018/02/no-one-has-a-clue-whats-happening-with-their-connected-cars-data/

are all the "shared" data disclosed somewhere, like in the contract, before you buy?

Are you implying any one on Veeky Forums is as dumb as these normies wanting to buy such a car?

Are you implying anyone of the shitbox owners of Veeky Forums have enough money to afford a car newer than 1999?

my car doesn't even have a bluetooth radio my guy

>how can you determine what data your car collects and sends to the botnet?
With OnStar, even voice can be sent and recorded. Law enforcement has used search warrants in the past to get Onstar to turn on the microphones in criminal suspects' cars. As for preventing it, you have to eliminate the cellphone antenna from the main computer. Chances are though that doing that will violate your new car warranty as the computer controls all aspects of the car's performance, so hacking the computer board would break the warranty on every system controlled by the computer (engine, power train/transmission, entertainment system, etc).

Get the wiring diagram. Private CAN bus = data has no means of being sent remotely, only stored within modules, would have to physically connect to the car to read the data, typically with a scan tool. Even if a bus is not private it still may not have the means to communicate with the part of the car that has remote connection. This is still sometimes possible to see in the diagram, but more likely you would need to look at the circuitry in the modules which you will not get from any manufacturer. If you are worried about this just take the SIM card out of your car. I'd be surprised if any manufacturer collects data to sell maliciously, for a few reasons

-can create safety flaws in the car (by having a module that is connected remotely be able to potentially receive firmware that can allow other modules to be reprogrammed on that bus, like what happened on the Grand Cherokee)
- You would need much more powerful hardware/cell connection to broadcast the data, not worth the return on selling the data
- The data is already being sold because you have a cell phone in your pocket, of course Google can easily determine what kind of vehicle you are in. What benefit would that information be from an auto manufacturer?

Of course every manufacturer collects fleet data in some capacity, but they aren't going to spend time and resources "spying" on you. You are just a random VIN and some intern is looking at the blend door position of 10,000 cars on a 70 degree to figure out why heater boxes are failing, not exactly airing out your dirty laundry.

>buying a car with connectivity to the outside world
Shiggy diggy

It won't be long before the older used cars without connectivity all age out of the market. Then you'll find it impossible to avoid these cars with the Internet of Things type of "cloud edge" databasing.

It'll be more interesting if cars start to contain their own air sensors like for alcohol vapors or CANniBUS vapors.

>if you just bought a new car

The more modern the used car market gets, the older you have to go. Get a car so simple that you can do the entire maintenance and any small town metal shop can machine parts for it. People daily drive Model As. It's completely doable.

Friendly reminder that your trusty horse is a good keeper of secrets.

Waiting for an old Mission Impossible (tv series, not movie) plot where someone forges the same ID for their getaway car as someone else's car and then uses it to commit a crime. Then they remove the hack and the crime gets blamed on someone else.

First thing I did on my new car was rip out the microphones.

pretty much everyone here is dumb enough to, but just doesn't have the money

My car doesn't even have a clock. It's a '99.

>tfw poorfag
Lmaoing at all you new car purchasing faggots. Get cucked

>Volvo 240
>Only data being sent is the spirit of Mjölnir returning to Tor.

>not wanting 2b data farmed
>browsing Veeky Forums

pick one retard

NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER LOL!!!!!! XD

Why should I care if it does?

>First thing I did on my new car was rip out the microphones.
I have a laptop with a camera and mic, so I put a piece of black tape over the camera lens and microphone hole.

if you just bought a new car, how can you determine what data your car collects and sends to the botnet?
All of it.

They'll know when you fart.
They'll know when you speed.
They'll know when you go through Mickey D's and order a dozen big macs to stick your dick into after you drive to your favorite spot in the forest where you believe nobody will notice you eating twelve shitty burgers that taste of cardboard and half a cup of thin watery cum while you blame Trump for not having a girlfriend you can try to convince the holocaust is real.

>if you just bought a new car, how can you determine what data your car collects and sends to the botnet?
As others have pointed out in past Veeky Forums threads about the invasiveness of modern cars, "all" the data is collectible upon command. The various car companies have their own proprietary systems for collecting data and interacting with your car. BMW has been working on more powerful anti-theft features which even have the corporate database server send commands to y our car to disable it in special security lockdown mode. Unlike normal shutoff, devices that have received the security lockdown command are especially disobedient until they receive the special command from the corporate server to exit from security lockdown mode.

I suppose that future cars could be like your cable TV services. You subscribe to features you want in your car as well has have on demand features you can buy. GM OnStar has already had some "on demand" features sold through its OnStar system which I currently use. The cost of premium audio systems is small if ALL cars contained the added hardware of the premium system. If the car owner wanted to upgrade, the code would be sent to allow the stereo system to play with added sound quality and subwoofer. When the subscription fee ran out, the sound quality would drop back down to normal and the subwoofer would stop working. The advantage to the car maker is the potential sales of system upgrades without physically taking the car apart and re-installing new hardware which in some cases is impossible because welded unibody parts might be different. There is cost savings if all parts are the same without restock choices during manufacturing.

Tesla does this already. The owner has purchased the hardware but the features are not available without paying extra subscription fees. For example, battery capacity is limited, but the extra travel range is unlocked if the extra fee and/or subscription is paid.

>are all the "shared" data disclosed somewhere, like in the contract, before you buy?
Many big brother Homeland Security items need not be disclosed to the general public. So, you paid for big brother features but can't use them directly. The only time you "benefit" from them is being the "victim" of what you paid for. We've been seeing various companies using excuses like that in the past decade. It's unfortunate that the general population and legislators went along with the emotion and allowed such law changes.

Intel processors have a backdoor that allows individual processors to be shut down by the government. It'd be interesting if all future guns evolved to have control chips.

There's still some privacy laws that exist as long as enough people care to defend them.

People will eventually get tired of defending them and so create some kind of edgy philosophy to help them deal with it.

>tfw car is from 03 and would never spy on me
very comfy

It's why those debates about smartphone privacy were important but people didn't care. The privacy laws did exist, but were amended by the lawmakers under a lot of lobbying (bribery) by the corporations and law enforcement.

There might even be a lot of ignorant people in here that think search warrants are needed now for access to a lot of smartphone data or manipulation of someone's smartphone from a remote position. Only an administrative warrant is needed for a lot of that in my state.

Unlike a full formal search warrant which requires a judge to sign off, an administrative warrant can be provided by any senior law enforcement official trained to do so. Typically, police departments have some of these to make getting a "search warrant" fast and easy. But more importantly, administrative warrants made "trawling" for information deceptively easy. In a local news investigation in my city area, it was found that in just a small window of time, there were some administrative warrants issued for that. On paper, privacy advocates only see 8 admin warrants and are satisfied that it doesn't seem like very many searches were done. But those 8 admin warrants ballooned into 12 million records months later which can be trawled by Big Data algorithms.

As it has been said, if you pick a random person on the other side of the planet, after 20 jumps, it can be shown there is a connection between you and him/her. Electronic record collection can balloon like that when given creative request writing and creative renewal terms. Renewal terms occur because investigation algorithms return responses that are deemed "oh that is suspicious enough, your admin warrant A1234a is cancelled due to meeting its term limit and is renewed as admin warrant A1234b" by using step 8 conditions. It looks great to superficially-checking privacy advocates as the original admin warrant is expired and no new warrant was generated by warrant creation steps 1 to 5....

My dad bought a full equiped fiat palio 2018 and it doesnt have a carpad

>newer car
bwahahahahahahahah

what is the approximate cut off year in which cars were still built that are not part of a botnet?

I have a 15 with no GPS, LTE, or any other connectivity to speak of

id say like 07

>I have a 15 with no GPS, LTE, or any other connectivity to speak of
You don't need to have the features available to the driver in order to have GPS and "phone home" features installed. For example, GM has acknowledged (after initially refusing) that their OnStar does collect data even if people do not subscribe to its features in order to access them. The computer has access to all OBD2 data. Only a small subset of data is sent unless the server sends a command to provide more data than the normal basic set. That was 2006 onwards. Other car companies have their own secretive methods and may deny just as GM initially did until clever people with test gear pointed it out.

Volkswagon and Audi were quite honest about what their secretive software did, right?

>'05 wrangler with a cassette player
I'll never have to worry about someone else loving me or starting a family so I can put all of my money into making this thing last and parts are a dime a dozen for it. I hate all the computer shit they put in cars nowadays.

>Tesla does this already. The owner has purchased the hardware but the features are not available without paying extra subscription fees. For example, battery capacity is limited, but the extra travel range is unlocked if the extra fee and/or subscription is paid.

WHAT CANCER IS THIS? ill stick to my r32 gtst thanks.

My fucking tape deck is broken

So what's the newest year of car that doesn't do this stuff?

probably depends on manufacturer. my guess is around mid to late 2000's