Daily reminder that automatics are faster than manuals

daily reminder that automatics are faster than manuals

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ActQaHybCpk
youtube.com/watch?v=JD1jMD_J6pU
youtube.com/watch?v=y8dFXk_dviA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're right.. it's a damn shame they're no where near as durable though... How fast is the car if the valve body shits the bed?

the thing automatics are cheaper to build and when you do build them you can make them handle ungodly amounts of power. A properly built 4L80E can handle well over 1000 hp but a manual built for the same cost couldn't. Also the new automatics are incredibly tough even when comapred to manuals.

Automatics are only cheaper due to economy of scale

And? the point is they are cheaper and that is a plus for most people.

They've gotten better. A lot of the Arctic trucks are automatic and they trust them in the middle of nowhere.

Just because it's true doesn't mean I have to like it.

>it's a damn shame they're no where near as durable though
Powerglide.

>faster
>more fun
Choose only one

>worn shift forks
>flogged shift linkage bushings
>glazed clutch plates
naw I'm all good

You're right BUT speed isn't everything.

Worn shift forks are awful

manuals may be more fun to drive, but winning is more gun than losing

I hear you autists wailing all the time that manuals make your shitbox faster. Autos are convenient and you can shift them for engine braking

I don't think an Auto Civic is faster than a Manual GT3 car but whatever.

>no where near as durable though

They can be built strong. They can handle spinning 1000lbs of wheel and tire up or taking the force of a transbrake launch.

youtube.com/watch?v=ActQaHybCpk

for cars yes automatic is objectively better but for toys that you wanna thrash on the slopes manual is objectively better

Sure, if you're racing to work every day.

No you're just imagining that.

Automatics are always preferred offroad anyways.

agreed. As someone who basically lives off road, I can say manuals are shit in technical sections of trails.

Daily reminder I don't give a flying fuck if auto is faster

bro you didn't even have to remind me because i could see the steam coming from your ears from a mile away

u should take a look at some dual clutch autos.. they r getting pretty gnarly.. also youre a dumbass

>trying to crawl in 4-low through some tricky spots in a manual
this kills the clutch

Depends. In dual clutch and sequential yes, but in many models the tranny has problems with shift actuators or cooked clutches, and if the software isn't up to par, get ready for a bad ride. In torque converter type systems, prepare for slower speeds unless you have a locking tc, in which case the whole package cost a pretty penny. A manual transmission still has a place in the world. It's fun, quick, and they tend to be bullet proof. (I wouldn't take an Allison over a spicer manual, even if you paid me)

In a small amount of time though, I do see the manual dying in all but the cheapest, most stressful, or in retro cars.

Manuals deter theft.

Only in America.

can not into corners with auto, you gotta what hit the breaks pedal instead of down shift drive in under power and out again.

Also when you get good enough a manual, you can do all gears except stop to first without a clutch, just use your revs right, listen to the engine feel the car, is way better than a tacho.

Thats driving pleasure

>i like driving
>btw let me introduce you to my computer that dictates how i drive

only DCTs are, regular planetary gear automatics still suck and are slower than manual

>yfw OP was talking about guns not cars

why is that? offroad noob here.

see some offroading is just crawling slowly. This would involve riding the clutch in a manual.

automatics are absolutely pleb tier.
CVT is where it's at. we just gotta perfect them.

No, the shitty "daily driver" manual transmissions car manufacturers keep giving you are so bad that they're worse than heavier, power sapping automatics.

>HURR ITS A DAILY DRIVER
>ITS GOTTA BE EASY
>AND COMFY
>NO CLUNKS
>CARS ARE MAGIC SOAP BARS THEY DONT MAKE MACHINE NOISES
>ALSO MUH TRADITIONS AND FAMILIARITY
>GOTTA PUT A NEUTRAL BETWEEN EVERY GEAR AND USE BRASS SYNCHRONIZERS DURR
>ITS GOTTA BE A "DAILY DRIVER"
>^making a sportscar

Maybe daily driver wasn't the right word

"Piece of shit made only so achmed can show off in the middle of london" could be appropriate. Achmed can't shift a sequential without sheering off the dog teeth.

Outside the US this is the opposite way round.

Autos are becoming more common, but very slowly.
People like the familiar, and manuals are familiar.
How "fast" they are is irrelevant to 99.99% of people.

Dont they use manuals in rally?

Yes, even the disabled drivers use them with a hand clutch.

Rally isn't offroad

To add on to the other guy. They are useful if you need to park offroad. The torque converter holds you in place on inclines so you can pull the hand brake and park without moving back on a slope. Then you can start again without falling back. The manual equivalent requires you starting the car in gear and using the alternator to move you like 8 ft to avoid falling before the engine starts. Also the torque converter converts rpms to torque, meaning that you can easily lay down power without spinning your tires in mud snow etc.

No it really isn't. Japan and the US are the only car markets that matter, and both buy more autos than manuals. Because of this, all the new good transmission effort is applied to manufacturing automatics. Hence they are cheaper due to economies of scale.

this is bullshit

the only bad auto ive ever come across is the BTR4 and 4l60e

even those can be strengthened

t. 56

It's a matter of IF , they've gotten better but they are still in my mind a risk, there's always the IF worst that can happen is burning the clutch , replace it and you are good to go, i just can't bring myself to see AT as safe, even if they are better in every way, i still think serviceability is top priority.

>t. Luddite

>t. i have no arguments against serviceability

Ignoring the costs associated with AT is just ignorant.

>Rally isn't offroad
The absolute state of 'murica

Don't act dumb

Dirt roads are roads. Offroading is going on trails or less.

Your argument is not to use superior technology because you don't want to learn new skills. Get off Veeky Forums if you don't know how to design a planetary gearset

I think most of them use a bump shift, but they also have a clutch specifically so they can kick it to break traction

imagine being this retarded

How is he wrong? Come on, use your words

>t planetary gear designernigeriaedition

>using the alternator to move you like 8 ft

>Japan and the US are the only car markets that matter
citation needed

Drive what u want
None of it matters

Have you ever been offroad? As long as you're low even the alternator has enough power so the torque can move the vehicle. This is very important because without this you risk rolling back or losing wheel traction; both of which are potentially lethal. I only know how to do it in the Tacoma because there's some funky button combo you have to enter to allow it because it's disabled by default.

I'm probably being autistic but I have no idea what you are implying. Using the alternator to drive the wheels offroad is a real thing done to make up the lack of a torque converter.

>tfw drive tiptronic
>Interchangeable modes whenever
>Get to see all the Manuel and Auto cucks fighting each other to the death

Lmaoing at all of cucks, idorts win again

I remember what it's called in tacoma:

clutch stop cancel

Type that in YouTube and see people demo it.

Tiptronics are still automatic slushboxes. Hitting the bottom or paddle is just politely asking the transmission to shift as soon as it's ready. It's rarely gonna shift instantly which is fucking annoying. Not even remotely close to a manual.

idk what this autismo is talking about but the tacoma does have something that lets you start in gear
youtube.com/watch?v=JD1jMD_J6pU

So you actually can drive a vehicle with the alternator? He was right?

fucking faster at what?
shifting into the next gear at 3k to save fuel??

With some pleb like you behind the wheel, I would be faster driving a manual than you would even with your nanny-state transmission.

>not wanting manual transmission

Daily reminder: ur an fagit

It seems so

>it's a damn shame they're no where near as durable though.
boy are you fucking stupid

sequentials aren't they?

Today's automatics are superior in every way, the only people who like driving manuals are literally a walking sigmund freude who want to fondle some phallus in their hands.

Automatics:
>shift faster
>are more fuel efficient
>can do all of the engine braking, rev matching and everything a manual can do

There is literally no purpose for a manual anymore

which automatics at what price point, busrider?

literally any econobox made in the last 8 years is going to be miles better faster, longer lasting everything

hell even sports car automatics are going to be superior. Its no wonder every super car is switching to them and many car makers aren't offering shit anymore for manuals

Enjoy your autos autocucks. As quickly has changing gears was taken away from you, so will driving itself. Soon there will be no point in even driving because computers will do it better. Then this board will be deleted.

Its not 2001 anymore. Even bmw slush autos only use the slush for launch. The rest is double clutch.

Manual fags are slow desu.

I drive a manual 06 TL in nyc and i've beat a few auto audis, bummers and other misc cars. AMA FAGS

Auto cucks will never experience this
youtube.com/watch?v=y8dFXk_dviA

fuck off busrider, your bus is automatic

>Unironcally posting mr2 cringe

if you only drive to and from work then you maybe shouldn't be on a board intended for automobile enthusiasts

this is correct

cars are designed for women, oil barons, and boomers. the current state of the art manuals are difficult and unfamiliar for them, so they get state of the art automatics instead.

>pfssshhh
is that a BOV or flutter? i thought you couldn't lift off the throttle mid-corner in those.

he probably means using the starter to get the car moving.

i had to do that with my civic when the clutch slave cylinder died and i had to shift it without the clutch

I need to learn this. Advice ?

I like manual cause my bf isn’t always riding with me so I can’t hold his dick. We used to erp where he was an Audi Quattro but then I hurt his dick slam shifting

t. fagg/o/t

Why is he off the throttle so much? What is that god awful flutter? Why is he shifting at such low rpm?

>3

what in the name of all that's holy are you talking about?

I really hope this was meant to be a joke. You can't seriously think that he used the ALTERNATOR to move the vehicle...

I'm pretty sure that unless you have the worlds most bizarre alternator design, there's no way to pump power INTO them and produce rotational motion output. The diodes would prevent the current from flowing that direction.

maybe he has an electric car

checkmate faggit

Wtf not all of is have millions to get world class super cars you dumb dick, some of us have to spray water on our back tires and clutch kick just to break traction

>I don't know what I'm talking about

Lol YOU don't know what you are talking v about. Look up the ZF8 design fag

Rip syncros

This, especially with the pseudomanual mode

The jeep jl does this as well with it's stop start shit

cool. i dont give a fuck faggot.