I have an unhealthy obsession with column shifters and almost all modern cars have stopped doing this...

I have an unhealthy obsession with column shifters and almost all modern cars have stopped doing this. What is the solution.

Also redpill me on why they stopped doing this when it is clearly the superior option since it gives more space on the console area and the ability to have a 3-man seat in the front row.

It's superior for space but having linkages for a shifter run through the dash is a retarded idea. Could easily be done these days though given that shifters are just joysticks.

>Try to turn up radio
>Hit a bump and put shifter in neutral
Every fucking time.

I also love column shifters. Aside from trucks and SUVs, I think your best bet is to get a Dodge Charger with the police package. They put column shifters on the police package. That's the only car I'm aware of that still has a column shifter available.

They are nice

>mfw column shifter on my car
pretty fun desu

Column shifter master race

new mercedes automatics have them.

IIRC police package Fords (Sedan and Utility) still have column shifts, not that it does much good on the Taurus because they still have a fucking gigantic plastic center console.

They'll never reappear because they're seen as old fashioned, and with safety regulations banning bench seats they're not all that more practical than the "sporty" floor shifter or the "modern" pushbuttons.

Whoops, meant to direct that to OP.

>not having a muscle car with a t handle floor selector

its a lot better for drag racing to be on the floor. column shift is old lady in a crown vic or pickup truck tier

Mercedes Benz has done exactly what you are describing for quite some time now. And I think it's one of the best feature of mine.

To answer your question, I think it's because the shifter in the center console is seen as more sporty. I agree with you about its benefits and I love column mounted shifters, whether it's mechanical or electric, but maybe they are trying to sell the image of sportyness to people that drive automatics. BMW is definitely guilty of this with their recent shifters.

Why does everything have to be ///sporty/// nowadays

Because money talks and chicks are good at fooling themselves/being fooled.

Basically this, but it's not just chicks.

Aye but it's chicks being involved in the choosing/buying of cars that precipitated the 100% "sport" mode engaged.

New mercedes have these, atleast in the e-class and propably in s and c class.

>that radio and climate control cluster
I have never seen something so disgusting

>Fart Turdus

GM is a mistake.

Mercedes uses them. Tesla also uses the same Mercedes part

Men who think vaginally count as well
>inb4 tips fedora