My GF's tranny blew out in her old cobalt and she needs a car to replace it with

My GF's tranny blew out in her old cobalt and she needs a car to replace it with.

We have been looking at a new 2018 Crosstrek because it's safety, awd, and how well it holds it's value. She preferred to only spend around $15k, but a new one would only be about $7k more.

What is your opinion on this car? The only issue I have found is that it is slow, which isn't a big deal at all for her.

getting a crossover is always a stupid idea no matter what. You can always find better cars in different classes to suit your needs more.

Well she is hung up on a SUV style car. She doesn't want a sedan or hatchback, and she shoots down any bigger SUVs.

What would be the issue with a crossover?

BOXER engine

Please be more descriptive. The only flat 4s I know to avoid were the 2.5L because of reliability issues.

>HURR XOVERS SUCK HURRR JUST GET A WAGON BRO JUST GET A 80S JAP MOBILE BRO

faggot

Crosstrek is an alright car for someone who needs AWD and something a little bigger than a car. They feel cheap and are pretty gutless. But I haven't had too many issues with them

-subaru service advisor

Get a fiat panda 4x4 instead

>"she doesnt want hatchback"
>Crosstrek, as most crossovers, is just a hatchback with higher ground clearance which 90% of people simply don't need or desire when the cons below are overwhelming:

it's needlessly heavy, high mileage, small interior space, higher costs, inferior driving capabilities.. get a wagon or hatch, make up your mind what you want and stop giving in to stupid fashion.

People who hate crossovers this hard are always wrong. But hey, at least it’s pretty funny watching them recommend wagons or impractical cars.

>thinking crossover is more practical than wagon, mpv or suv
lmao

>SUV
gas guzzler, expensive, hard to drive in the city

>mpv, wagon

no ground clearance, lower sitting position, no awd, less space, harder to get in and out

>HURRR STOP LIKING CROSSOVERS

this board is so easily triggered

>wagon
>no awd
>no ground clearance
you're buying the wrong ones

Just remember. . . It has a CVT.

ok if you honestly need or want awd then it's subaru and it breaks down like this:
>small hatch for gf's shopping, driving kids to school, driving girlfriends around to ladies nights, visiting parents. overall cool second car in family.
new impreza

>hauling larger equip once in a while, bike, dog, camping equip, can drive 4 people around plus cargo neatly to 90% places
with ground clearance - Outback. Without ground clearance - Levorg

>living in forest, you need heavy vehicle to carry around high number of passengers + cargo regulary or as a primary car for family while driving in terrain bigger than normal
Forester

Crosstek doesn't fit in anywhere, it makes no sense. It has just ground clearance but for shopping you don't need that.

If you DON'T need AWD or you get around the fact your GF doesn't need Subaru's uniqueness, then whole new wider and cheaper options open up for you. Suzuki for driving in terrain, Mazda 3/6 for hatch/wagon, Mercedes B class for compact SUV, proper SUVs from Toyota, GM...and the list goes on and on.

Just think about the requirements and then let the girl decide the color and interior from pre-selected options that make sense.

>tranny blew out
How sure are you?

Straight up, this guy literally nailed it! Totally agree and I own a 2011 Outback (wagon) and yeah the Crosstrek is stranger among the subaru lineup since it came in somewhat recently.

Just get her a k5 blazer tell her it's a crossover and pocket like 15,500 dollars

>no ground clearance, lower sitting position, no awd, less space, harder to get in and out
is the bitch going off road?

>less space
bullshit

Fix the cobalt.

But let's say you are looking at an impreza price range but would like the clearance of an outback. Then the crosstrek makes sense

There is at no point in time a situation where a crossover is an ideal vehicle.

Imprezas sit on lots and there is a waiting list for Crosstreks. I think that price difference is bigger than you think.

There is a huge problem with the Impreza these days. You inevitably option one to be near WRX price without it being a WRX or realize the Crosstrek lift kit it's reasonably priced.

The 2011 outback is not a wagon.

>tranny blows
>max $4000 for brand new if you really get jewed
>Hurr durr might as well buy a new $25,000 car!
Why are people so stupid?

Sounds like an XJ would be perfect for her

They look so much better with aftermarket wheels and tires. I fucking hate the stocks. Otherwise, its a decent car, but it really needs more power.

This, there is nothing wrong with crossovers. The only people that hate them are autistic Veeky Forums goers who ride the bus and have nothing else to complain about except that "hurr durr cross overs are cancer and dont make any sense". When in reality a crossover is a great vehicle for mainly women.

Because you can finance the $25,000 car at a low interest rate and make monthly payments. Also, you have a new car.

Hurr durr, most people dont have cash laying around for a transmission replacement for a shit old car. And most people cant get a good credit card % rate, so if you put it on a card you're paying 20+% interest.

And honestly, fuck the Cobalt. Shit car.

why though
the Impreza hatch is cheaper, and it actually has more interior space

If she is buying it let her get what she wants. Tell her to eat shit and buy her a Fit or a Focus.

If you are buying it, tell her to eat shit.*

>spending $22k on a gutless easter egg when you could have god machine for same price

>and it actually has more interior space

No. The crosstrek is just an Impreza with a lift kit. It's the same fucking car.

Yup, this. She wants a new compact suv with awd and saftey in mind.

Get her a 10 year old vette...........

Just bought one for my wife. It's a fine car but slow as you said. The base model is fine but I think it's worth it to get the Limited for "leather", heated seats, auto-dimming mirrors, and better infotainment thingy.

>Nearly two decade old car is slower than a new one

>soviet follows me around like a lost lil puppy because i hurt his feelings 3 years ago

Lol

You can get them with a 6 speed which is actually suprisingly pleasant.

Drink bleach.

Your gf is a tranny? No wonder you are looking for Subaru crossover.

no his gf blew a tranny

We should all be so fortunate.

Spotted the Nissan Juke driver.

More like Ccrosskek amirite?

Poh-tay-toh, Pah-tah-toh.

Chevy Trax
Ford Ecosport
Jeep Compass/Renegade

Toe-may-toe, Tah-mar-toe

Your girlfriend doesn't sound like a car person, so why would she want to spend so much on a car? She could get a fine car for a quarter of her budget

>hurr she wants SUV just because she want one
sounds like you picked a winner op

>she wants an SUV
>he gets her a crossover
sounds like they are made for each other

>AWD
I hope that you don't think that AWD is a safety feature. If anything, it makes people do dumb shit and get into trouble that they otherwise wouldn't, such as driving around on ice without proper tires or chains and generally going too fast in inclement weather.
>slow
This can be a safety problem if the driver doesn't know how to compensate for it, or doesn't have the patience to. Not being able to get up to speed fast enough can cause trouble with merging into fast traffic. The XV can't overtake unless you have a lot of breathing room. Make sure that she gives it a thorough test drive that includes these things, because if she's anything like the women I know, she'll get really tired of that shit, really quickly.

Thanks, Dad.

>WRX Wagon
>No ground clearance, no AWD, no space, hard to get in/out
You're buying shit tier wagons.

Could you tell me the advantages of a crossover? What makes it good for women specialy?

it's a slow cheap sedan that is raised high enough they'll avoid things on the road, they're usually fat and AWD so good in snow, they're high up so there's low road noise and you feel no connection to the road, they are pigfat so have higher crash safety ratings, and have a big hatch for groceries.

OP Tell her to man up and get a 2015 or newer Honda CR-V with EX trim or above

holy fuck this fucking triggered prezo kek

Well, where I live snow really isn't a problem but I've never seen an obstacle in the streets that only a crossover could save. Also, isn't the security thing a big meme? Crossovers are fatter, higher and slower so they're less manouverable but are they heavy enough to make a real difference?

tell her she is the reason we can't have nice things anymore

this x1000

the only acceptable crossover

>Being so poor you can't finance a new car
Tell me what it's like to be this poor. I have no idea

the Crosstrek really isn't bad, its a good softroader and the least "crossover" of crossovers. While the forester and outback went from outdoorsy wagons to big fat SUVs the crosstrek is more like what Subaru used to be, a base road car thats been modified a little bit and lifted so you can take it off the beaten path now and then.

it does suffer from being under powered but if you go in knowing that you'll be fine. But if your gf really doesn't need the ground clearance but still wants AWD just get the impreza and save some money

no no no, you can't get away thinking this. It's still a shitty crossover made as a variant on a global platform, so nothing like old subaru when every model was tailored for its purpose.
Forester and Outback are exactly what they need to be, for big fat SUV they made Ascent which is at least decent for its role.

Crosstrek isn't a proper car, it's a product to be sold mostly for fashion reasons.

this. 1000x this

willing to spend 7-15k for new bs instead of fixing old probably reliable bs for 1.5k

just fix the cobalt yourself tard

have fun with the spark plugs

Literally remove the airbox, which is held by 2 bolts.

>Being so poor you have to finance instead of buying outright

You can put a small child in the back seat without bending over. This would make it good for families but those are a thing of the past.

>My GF's tranny

Is this the new version of "my wife's son"

>literally just like a jilted gf stalking her ex
m8 this is just sad now.

Cobalt is probably worth less than the cost to repair dude. I think you’re retarded for not understanding the incentives behind getting new equipment.

>t. Someone who does capital budgeting for a living

Get a Mazda CX-5 if you can swing it. Cheaper, especially used.