I've wanted one of these for as long as I can remember. I've been to Subaru 10 times to look at every trim, color...

I've wanted one of these for as long as I can remember. I've been to Subaru 10 times to look at every trim, color, and option combo, finally paid off all student loans so the price doesn't bother me, I don't even care about the meme that they're for 22 year old vapebros (almost 30yo now)...so why haven't I been able to bring myself to do it? I'm falling victim to people calling it "shit cuz it's not an evo" in the comments section of every youtube review but I can't figure out what's equally comparable performance-wise at the same price point that isnt a used M5 that is going to blow up at any given time.

buy a sensible DD and buy a GC8 project car on the side

>listening to other people’s opinion about a car you like.

Why don’t you test drive one to see if you actually like it?

you looking at the STi or the regular WRX?

the STI seems like a bad deal, it costs around $40k and has an engine that's over a decade old. for that price I would get a Focus RS or a Golf R.

the regular WRX seems like a good deal though, there really aren't any faster 4 door cars under $30k you could get.

I already have an '09 Legacy that's generally flawless, I just dont want a project car.

No one will let me test drive one because they say people won't buy one if it has more than 3 miles on it haha. Maybe I'll have to wave a check around and say please I'm serious.

Yeah it would be STI. I've driven plenty of WRXs (2015+) but I feel like after several months I would say why didnt I just spend the extra 10 grand to get the sti, even the ej257 is ancient.

What the fuck. I went to the local Subaru dealership to look at some random used car they had, decided on a whim to try out the WRX and they tripped over themselves getting the keys

get MY2018 STI like I did. It's absolutely superior to shitty 2015-2017 in every imaginable way. the new DCCD and brakes make a huge difference.

-fellow 30y old guy who just bought a Subbie despite the fact that I've always wanted Evo X...

You mean to test drive it? They offer me WRXs to test all the time, the only person who ever offered me an STI to try was a younger guy but all the ones they had ended up being sold so I couldnt drive them. Everyone else says no.

Yeah if I do it'll definitely be MY2018. I'm looking at a white limited with the Weathertech mats and short shifter (I can't feel a difference personally when I sit in the car vs stock STI, but whatever). What did yours come with and do you have any big pros/cons so far?

look for a nice GC8

If its really the thing youve been wanting for 10+ years tell them that and how serious you are and if they don't let you test drive find somewhere else to do business.

get a Legacy STi

If you like it, but it.

If you are primarily concerned with performance then the golf r, type r, or focus rs will all be better, assuming you aren’t a literal race car driver.

>STi almost 40k

Just stop with your bullshit

Buy it now before the next gen comes out and its some hybrid bullshit

It might be a decade old design but everyone on Veeky Forums knows old cars are better anyways. It's an old car you can still get new

I feel like despite the engine being old, there is so much aftermarket for it and people have figured it out so well that it would be an exciting platform to own into the future. There is a very well established shop down the road from me that has been working on them since the beginning.

The fuck are you on about. STI MSRP 36,095. Tax and licensing puts that near enough to 40k

I bought my '18 sti brand new in november for 34k out the door.

I want the Recaro seats though, I find them a lot more comfortable than the stock because I'm 6'2 and the ability to adjust the thigh height makes a big difference, so it's either Base+Recaro package (~38k) or limited (~40k) before tax and all that.

You can do that with the regular seats. It's the large lever on the side. Unless the recaros have some sort of extra leg bolster or something that I'm unaware of. Either way you're being a pussy

I tried that but it just adjusted the seat height, not the front, but it's possible I'm retarded and missed some direction that the stupid ass levers move. Also I don't disagree with you

It'll tip the seat slightly when it goes up and down. Other than that there's not much else you can do. Also honestly if you pay the extra 2k for seats you arent even going to notice it in the payments. Subaru can offer you 63 month financing at under 3% interest so you're looking at a tiny change in payments. Just pull the trigger and buy it.

Stop making excuses and test drive one if you really want one.

>everyone else says no

They expect people to just buy a $35k car without driving it? My guess is you come off as a teenager and your use of "haha" ITT confirms it.

Testdrive one but go to a different place than the one that denied you, Fuck them they do not deserve your money. Unless you want a specific color I usually wait and get the ones they are trying to push out before the new year. Usually you will get them for a lot cheaper.

The Evo doesn't exist anymore and modern day imprezas are soulless husk of they're predecessor. Buy a stock 05 wrx for 15k

You can't find a non shat on 05 WRX, let alone for that price.

i just bought a white 2018 sti brand new. idc if it's an "ancient engine." to me it shows it's a rock solid engine. 305 hp is enough for me. 0-60 in 5 sec is quick enough for me. and the fact it's practical (4 door, 5 seats, awd) just makes it sweeter.

I own a 2017 wrx with a catback, accessport and light shifter mods.

I hate it, the transmission is shit, rev hang is god awful even with a tune. The whole thing feels very artificial and tainted. Don't even bother getting one if you aren't going to get a protune, the stock tune is jumpy, 30% pedal depression = 100% throttle.

My daily driver clapped out Suzuki Swift GT with worn shifter bushings and clutch is a more fun and engaging car than the WRX and it cost 1/30 of the price. I'm turning it back to stock and selling it this spring,already pulled insurance on it.

Get an STI or don't bother.

How much do you guys make per year?

t. fresh out of college with new job considering on buying an STI by the end of the year

29, didn't know that saying "haha" was considered sophomoric.

Yeah I've driven enough WRXs to know they're decently fun but I'd regret not just going all the way.

$125,000/year.

A 2017 Chevy SS is better than the STi in every way

The car is going to be a northeast daily driver (although I don't drive that far for work) which is why I'm trying to avoid RWD.

don't be a stupid cuck user you're better off buying an eagle talon instead of muh cucked jewbox 2018 PIGFAT stupid vapefag fagbox STI junkcan overpriced >greentext mememobile. don't be an idiot. buy into my justifications. buy a VR4. don't be a cuck. don't be stupid. buy a cobalt SS.

>cobalt ss
looks like shit

try another car user

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NO ALL SUBARU SHIT CAR REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HEAD GASKET REEEEEEEEEE MY MOM IS PISSED AT YOU GUYS MAKING GOOD BOY SCREAM! HOW CAN YOU STILL TALK ABOUT THIS CAR IT IS NOT ALLOWED ON Veeky Forums! THE HEADGASKETS GO OUT EVERY 2000 MILES JUST BUY A 2000 CIVIC OR AN AW11 SWAG FAG LEAVE

I'm a big subaru fanboy, but I wouldn't get one anytime soon. It use to be that the 04-07 sti would have ringland failure because of upgrades and dumb owners. Nowadays its happening to the stock sti.

To meet emission standards subaru keeps changing the tune of the stock cars. Every year they increase the rpm limit where the ecu switches from predetermined A/F mixture to feedback from the sensors. A new sti will run lean until about 2200 rpm. Lean = ringland failure

DESU I have a long list of reasons that I both like and dislike the WRX STi. Some cool things:

>hillclimb/rally car history
>awd
>one of the few remnants of performance oriented/manual transmission cars out there
>probably something to be said for a flat 4 engine even though its a pain in the ass when it breaks

some bad things:

>overpriced
>awd is overrated
>manual transmission is cool but when you have competitors offering reliable dual clutch transmissions for less then its obvious that your manual tranny is just a crutch
>not a fan of the look
>slow

Would rather have a GTI any day of the week.

u fuckin pussy

who gives a fuck what you drive. you've wanted one all your life. get one for fuck sake.

i saw an old man driving one of these on the freeway today no one cares

I sincerely doubt you are making 125k and asking an anime image board if you should be spending 600 a month on a car.

Unless you are saddled with a shit load of debt or other expenses it barely even affects you.

So what's the issue here?

Amazingly fun cars and fantastic awd but the engine and car itself is more outdated then the 370z. Repair cost is high 300-600 just for spark plugs so be prepared to wrench it yourself. I just left mine for a Golf as my head gasket blew at 137k miles. And the vw offers way cheaper work and much better tuner scene+gains. Narrow it down to 2 options and a compromise then rent them for day it two to get some real daily driving in better then the corner dealers ships give you.

Not him but, I pull in about $140,000 a year, and I wouldn’t do it. I have a Dodge Charger I like that I spend about $200 a month on with insurance maybe $400ish. I think that’s way too expensive for him.

>It's absolutely superior to shitty 2015-2017 in every imaginable way. the new DCCD and brakes make a huge difference.

Really? The brakes were one of the areas the STI wasn't weak in.

easy, buy a used evo or sti that isn't pigfat.

Hey OP,

Similar situation. I used to own a GC8 when I was 17 years old, first car.
Now I grew up and I can actually afford a decent low mileage 2015-2017 STi.

Edging between breaking the bank for a 2018 model for those bigger brakes and DCCD..

But then again, the model is more or less the same. 2018 is stiffer than the 2015 who are much much better DDs than the 2011-2014 ones.

I honestly think this is the last of it's kind, Subaru said so themselves, THIS model is the last of the rally-inspired vehicles, they are literally discontinuing it from Europe altogether, release a "final edition" and that's it. Which is crazy because rally was vivid in the UK.

There is no more competition (evo), no more rally for Subaru.. this is the last STi of it's kind. The next model is a complete refresh, completely new engine and highly possible some hybrid bullshit.

Get one while you can.