What is the modern American/European Equivalent of the AU Falcon?

What is the modern American/European Equivalent of the AU Falcon?

>Thick
>retardedly reliable
>big i6 or v8
>RWD
>Fucking eveywhere, a nuclear bomb couldnt whipe them out

ford crown vic, although those are slowly vanishing.

Are you insane? I found a guy who had THIRTY of them selling them for 1k a piece on craigslist right now.

he meant slowly over several thousand years

In America, it'd be the Panther cars,
The Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car.

yes but they've been out of show rooms for more than a decade by now so they're starting to transition into junkyards, i actually don't see them that much anymore out and about

oh i know this i like crown vics but is there a modern equivalent?

RWD econoboxes seem to be dead at least with big engines

>modern
>everywhere
>i6/v8
basically doesn't exist in america. everything common is an i4 or -maybe- a v6

;(

sad day, we just lost our manufacturing of big v8 sedans last year

i'm confident that hybrid tech along with stuff like mazda's fancy systemin their syactive-x engines could save the domestic V8

like, if a decent power V8 could get 30mpg combined they could potentially still offer it as an option on some midsize sedans

Japanese would be Toyota Crown, bazillion of them made and 95% of them are V8 or straight 6 minus the one generation that had a V6 and everyone complained so they went back

kek

used to see tonnes of those here in aus mainly its just the odd cressida/cresta/mark

The only reason American Panther cars are as prevalent as they are is because US police forces LOVED them and they were pretty much the standard police car of choice until they were killed in 2011 due to safety regulations.
Updating the car to meet the 2012 regulations would've required a factory overhaul (which was sorely needed), and a ground up redesign, which together would've bankrupted Ford.

American consumers stopped buying big RWD V8 things in droves in the mid-late 1980s.
The Holden Commodore has been imported a few times, from 2008-2009 as the Pontiac G8, and from 2014-2017 as the Chevrolet SS (The Holden Caprice was also imported specifically for police fleet use as the Chevrolet Caprice from 2011-2017 as well). But those didn't exactly sell well, and aren't common everywhere.

If you had to look at new cars and say an equivalent, you'd probably end up looking at an AWD Ford Taurus SHO or Chevy Impala.

>they were killed in 2011 due to safety regulations
fill me in on this, what exactly was wrong with the panther body

only thing i dont like about Cressida and Cresta is theyre unibody, Crown are body on frame

ive driven mine down to the USA, through half of Canada multiple times etc and it keeps going. theres apparently a guy in Fiji with a diesel 7th or 8th gen at 2.5M km

The main regulation they couldn't adhere to due to the way the car was designed and built was the requirement that all 2012 model year cars be fitted with Electronic Stability Control.

it's not progressive enough
it needs a 1 liter 3-cylinder engine
maybe ford will make a crown vic redesign with that ecuckboost engine :^)

>only thing i dont like about Cressida and Cresta is theyre unibody,
its a piss weak chassis too

I don't think a car exactly like this exists in Europe, some I6 BMW 3 series might come close aside from the reliability aspect.

which reminds me how the fuck can bmw make a i6 rwd unreliable?

weirdly bmw has a habit of making ultra reliable engines with accessories that break, often related to the cooling system such as cheap plastic coolant expansion tanks that crack, or electronic water pumps that fail suddenly

>weirdly bmw has a habit of making ultra reliable engines with accessories that break, often related to the cooling system such as cheap plastic coolant expansion tanks that crack, or electronic water pumps that fail suddenly
the fuck?

every single car since the 80's has a pressured coolant tank that doesnt crack, fuck thats shit

e46/e39/e38 all had those issues.
>plastic impeller water pump will shatter without warning if it's old enough, spreading plastic shards through the cooling system
>coolant expansion tank will randomly crack after like 30k miles, causing a slow coolant leak
>electronic water pump fails suddenly at around 100k miles
>plastic fittings on the side of the radiator will pop their crimp fittings to the metal part and cause a slow coolant leak

so everything after the e46 is ok?

they are overpriced in general bmw's here are all shit

E90s and onward have other problems to deal with, and are generally more unreliable than E46s, so no. Truly reliable BMWs don't really exist, E30s and E34s might come close.

Chevy SS

e36 is the closest you'll get. it also has cooling system problems but if you replace the cooling system for like $400 in parts after buying the car (its pretty easy work) it'll work extremely well for a long time

>any BMW engine after the M10 and M30
>ultra reliable
A typical M50 is so worn out after 200k miles that it needs a complete rebuild.

>>Fucking eveywhere, a nuclear bomb couldnt whipe them out

>America
Probably the Crown Victoria or Chevy Caprice

>European
Mercedes 190E

Crown Vic
/thread

It's difficult to engineer crumple zones with a body on frame design.

>bmw's here are all shit
Only if you're completely retarded. There's plenty of gems if you're actually adept at looking at used vehicles.

Senator or Scorpio

Not popular here on Veeky Forums but you see Dodge Chargers fucking everywhere in America. Granted, quite a few of them are V6s, but there’s a decent amount of R/Ts with the 5.7 V8 driving around.
The Charger is more or less a “modern” crown vic in that the police love them. I’ve seen quite a few retired pursuit specials being driven around, granted most of them are beat to shit. Overall I’ve heard they are pretty reliably, but that mostly comes with being an old E-Class underneath and having an ancient Mercedes transmission.

FCA stopped using Mercedes transmissions years ago,and Fiat has been removing Mercedes designed bits with Fiat designed bits starting in 2012

Also proto-Commodore

This. While they're still an old E-Class platform, FCA predominantly use the solid ZF options.

SS amd G8 but those where AU to start with. Also not in production anymore.

That’s right, it was the pre-2014 Chargers that had the Mercedes box. Still I’ve heard nothing but good things about the ZF 8 speed they put in them now.

That ZF box is put in just about everything from Landrover Discoverys, BMW 6 series, Ram 1500 and everything in between. They're a fantastic box!