Why do Americans consider 150-200k miles for a car ''high mileage''?

Why do Americans consider 150-200k miles for a car ''high mileage''?
Used car market is full of 500k-1M km Volkswagens, BMWs and Benzs in Europe.
Plus if you go to american car auction sites you can find plenty of solid cars that need minor repairs.
Why do americans consider cars as disposable objects?
Don't americans do any basic maintenance on their cars?
youtube.com/watch?v=DdJXh1ffs8g
youtube.com/watch?v=4J2sPlyUpQE

Most people don't take care of cars anymore.
Most people don't trust cars with mileage that high.
Most people don't want to put money into an "old" vehicle.
Most people drive the shit out of their vehicles here. It's not like Europe where you crawl in traffic all day.

We have plenty of million mile trucks and commercial trucks.

Because cars are driven into the ground regularly and the average person only knows how to replace the cabin air filter and drive it to a mechanic / dealership.

Also road salt will rust out a car's frame if you live in a snowy area, which is never a good thing.

i'm not talking commercial vehicles i'm talking about regular cars. everyday commuters.
you don't crawl in traffic in europe you do high speed cruises on highways and autobahns.
it's normal for people to drive 60-120 miles per day here because work is often far from home
do you really think these cars have reached 2 million kilometers by crawling in city traffic? lol

I'm pretty sure above 150k mileage doesn't matter there anymore, price-wise. Not a lot anyway.

And would you rather drive a 150k car or a 750k car even if the latter was mechanically in good order? Cars like those start to feel tired, no matter how well taken care of. Especially those Mercs, BMWs, Toyotas etc. that are claimed to have gone "1 million miles without major expense". And you sure can feel it.
Goddamn they feel flimsy, tired or otherwise ready to bite the dust.

my 610k mile 5 series does not feel tired. in fact it still does the same factory claimed 0-62 mph times and it can still do 160 mph and it still feels comfortable.

Well, would you buy a car with 200k miles on it?
Yeah, I didn't think so.

I actually bought a car with 500k miles on it. Currently at 610k miles. See OP pic

Highway miles are generally pretty easy on a car. Still people here that do that many miles in a day (even though it's retarded as fuck) don't really trust a car with mileage like that. Plus to get to that you still need to dump a lot into the car which you could just put towards a new car.

>Used car market is full of 500k-1M km Volkswagens, BMWs and Benzs in Europe.
This is just plain out false, at least in regards to Western Europe. Most cars go to Valhalla around the 200K km mark.

>car
>frame

Unless you’re talking Panther platform or some old, old American car, no. No one uses frames. They all use monocoques and have for a long time you fucking idiot.

They are all exported to eastern europe
I'm eastern european, I sell used cars and the majority of imported cars from the west here have over 500k km

Well you're retarded then

the real answer?
our market is different
no-one would want something with 150k+ miles on it when you can spend the same amount and get something with 40k miles on it

cars in general are cheaper to buy/own here and that makes it easy to trade in your old piece of shit in for something slightly less shitty

Americans have to deal with rust which sends a lot of mechanically sound vehicles to the scrap yard at 200k miles.

>Most people drive the shit out of their vehicles here. It's not like Europe where you crawl in traffic all day.

It's the crawling that will kill them. Give me a 500K mile car with freeway miles any day over a grocery-getter.

Glad to hear that, though I'm fairly certain you'd feel the difference if you simply sat in a 200k 5-series. From simple things such as door sealings, seat support and overall interior feel to larger things such as body flex, engine response and steering feel. Side by side they become immediately apparent.

And this is all assuming the car with more miles has been kept religiously maintained.

actually my friend has basically the same car only 5 years younger than mine and with ''only'' 310.000km.
the leather is slightly better and the suspension is a bit more firm (i know I need to replace some noisy bushings in the rear)
both cars are almost equally quick however.

>Most people drive the shit out of their vehicles here. It's not like Europe where you crawl in traffic all day.
see It's the opposite. Americans are crawling around in 10000 mile traffic jams all day, add to that the fact that people are too busy(read: lazy) to maintain their vehicles properly aside from letting Manny change their oil every 10k miles, they're all a ticking time bomb by the time they reach 200k

OK to be honest his leather is not ''slightly' better but notably better.
his leather seats at 310k km have almost no wear while mine has a cracked side bolster and a saggy bottom part. the passenger seat is fine though.

Also the number seems a lot higher because american cars read miles, not kilometers.

what year is your e60 and what engine?

It’s because most of us here in burger land treat cars like shit. Rode in my liberal friend’s civic the other night, I was appalled by how bad of shape it was in despite the odometer reading at just above 30k
>seat bolstering already breaking down
>interior littered with random junk
>dog hair everywhere
>oil change sticker from some jiffy lube type of place in the window
>curbed wheel covers
>dinged doors
>paint has never seen a coat of wax
>mfw she plans on keeping it for the next 10 years
>mfw my 10 y/o bimmer with 3 times the miles is in better shape than her 2016 Civic
I present to you the state of average American car ownership, they’re literally appliances here

2005 530d
my friend has a 2009 530d
both identical cars except his is facelifted

both automatic?

There's been a decline in Americans' relationship with the car. Think about how much a normal person gives a shit about their car's wellbeing and then visualize that half of them give less of a shit than that.
How accessible cars have been over the last decades have driven how our cities and towns are shaped, so now you just can't make it out there without needing one eventually.
My wagon has been owned by people that are just enthusiastic about BMWs and cars in general. Aside from some paint imperfections, the car is still a refined and comfortable daily. And at 160k still drives like new thanks to regular maintainence and cleaning.

*Rusting out the unibody, floorboards, and undercarriage.

Happy?

>My wagon has been owned by people that are just enthusiastic about BMWs and cars in general. Aside from some paint imperfections, the car is still a refined and comfortable daily. And at 160k still drives like new thanks to regular maintainence and cleaning.
uh bruh i hate to tell you but there's a hole in your headlights

>Used car market is full of 500k-1M km Volkswagens, BMWs and Benzs in Europe.

Overstatement much? There are a number of them, yes.

Technically the frame is integrated into the unibody.

>you don't crawl in traffic in europe you do high speed cruises on highways and autobahns.

Nice generalizations there, buddy. Also the autobahn is a German exclusive thing. '

t.yuronigger

>would you rather drive a 150k car or a 750k car even if the latter was mechanically in good order?

As long as its mechanically, structurally sound and interior not in pieces I would gladly take the 750k car.

Police is way more lenient towards speeding on highway here. I don't know anyone that got pulled over for doing less than 200kph even though the speed limit is 130kph.

Where I live you pay 10€ for every km/h above limit, once you go 20km/h above you lose your license for a couple of months.

Germany?

Here the police will fine anyone going over the given speed. Here the gubbmint only survives on taxes and fines, so they gotta keep the cashflow going.

>there's a hole in your headlights

muh induction

I said highways AND autobahns buddy.