All you guys do is complain that cars are too complicated now and are big fat and are too isolated from the road...

All you guys do is complain that cars are too complicated now and are big fat and are too isolated from the road. You complain that no one was making a pure driving machine that's available to anyone.

Then Toyota comes out with the gt86 that answered all your prqyers, and you complain it doesn't have 500hp. You guys are fucking entitled.

>pure driving machine that can't even keep up with a Toyota Camry
Being simple and lightweight doesn't mean you have to be slow as shit.

No one on Veeky Forums actually drives so this causes some narrative problems.

We like Miatas right? Why do we not like a hard top miata?

Oh great, another bait thread to last us a week

It's not a problem with the car. It's a problem with Toyota and Subaru. They could relatively easily address some of its many and varied minor imperfections without great expense, but they don't. Instead they give it a computery display of the torque dip on the dash board in case you hadn't seen any dyno charts.

Because of memes.

What part of "slow as shit" didn't you understand?

>It's slow as shit because I say so
- an idiot

It looks absolutely shit, anything more curvy than an s13 hatch looks gay

It's slow as shit because it has an awful lb/hp ratio and can't accelerate fast as a result.
>because I say so
I didn't say anything, real world demonstrations proved that it's slow.

So is a miata, why is it okay for that but not for the 86?

>awful lb/hp ratio
You're beyond stupid now
>real world demonstrations proved that's it's slow
Because it doesn't beat a 300hp camry in a straight line? Literal retards not even worth an argument

This thread has been posted so many times but i'll state it again:
- Torque dip
- Really insane markups outside of the USA
- Could be less pigfat´
- Visual design leaves a lot to be desired, invites boyracers

because a miata isn't pigfat

>2700
>pigfat

Neither are pigfat, are you blind?

Mustang and 370z eternally BTFO

The styling is perfect, are you people insane.

Stop bringing up the fucking miata no one fucking likes the miata it's slow as shit too.

>2700lbs, 200hp
13.5 hp/lb
It's just pathetic.
>Not even worth the argument.
Because you don't HAVE one.
>buhbuhbuh but muh FUN!

This is what autism looks like^

Because the Miata came out nearly 30 years ago and the GT86 is only ALMOST as good.

>No one likes the miata.
Okay thank you for the clarification, opinion discarded.

Oh look it's this thread again

I like it

Bruh the it's not like there is a lot more to improve on.

If Veeky Forums didn't have at least 3 of these threads active at all times somebody might start a general and then Veeky Forums would really lose it's shit.

Stop replying to this bait

Yeah what's not to love about a slow overpriced convertible with no practicality
Basically the perfect car

>he cares about practicality in his car
gtfo normie

THIS is good styling (other than the lowering and gay shit, but it’s impossible to find a stock s13 hatch for affordable money)

Impracticality is forgiveable if the rest of the car is good. But if it's gonna be slow it better at least be functional.

LOL you're still sperging out about people that enjoy good handling cars. Give it a rest

Once more people on here can afford the car you will start to see a regular general thread. There are plenty of 86 owners who post here already

I like s13s but that car is disgusting

Did you know that a car can have good handling and not be a slow pile of shit?

>good handling
>power
>affordability

pick 2

Yeah, it's called spending alot more money on a Cayman. Now fuckoff

Then why is the Miata slower than other cars that cost the same?
By the way, this goes double for the BRZ

slower than amiata

Because they're FWD econoboxes that don't handle good

Which cars would that be? I can't think of a single one

Does that mean an FD looks gay?

The other options at the price are FWD and don't handle good. Why don't you list off better cars instead of begging others to spoonfeed you

yeah I misread the post, my bad. There truly aren't any

Yeah

t. stupid benchracer

>we want a real driver's car
OK I gotchu
>it needs to be light
Lmao we made it 100 pounds lighter than a civic because we cheaped put on aluminum and instead used tons of sheet metal on the underside
>it needs to be simple
Lmao OK we commissioned Subaru to get the chassis from yesterdecade and we took their engine that's used with a turbo and made it an naturally aspirated engine
>performance!
say no more we make 200 at the crank, a huge torque dip in the middle ensures your car has literally no balls
>it needs to be nimble
Lmao OK we put skinny prius tires on it.

wat

>FWD and don't handle good
They handle great what the fuck are you meming about

i love it since im not an autistic Veeky Forumstist and I actually race instead of benchrace. I've seen what this car can do and I know how good it is

that thing needed a supercharged 2gr

So much misinformation in one post, it's a new engine and chassis

They literally should have just used the drivetrain out of the 6 speed v6 Tacoma

>good suspension
Lmao OK we over dampened the ever living fuck out of it so you feel literally every crease in the road, we also cheaped out on the interior so it rattles like a bitch and we put in a shit stereo that resonates because we know you'd like that

>Lmao we made it 100 pounds lighter than a civic because we cheaped put on aluminum and instead used tons of sheet metal on the underside

>Implying that the 86 isn't the lightest rwd car you can buy with a manual transmission and fixed roof regardless of cost

It's not a new engine, Subaru has been using the Fa20 for years literally a rebranded ej20

And the chassis is literally an old impreza

>Subaru has been using the fa20 for years
>literally a rebranded ej20
>chassis is literally an old impreza
Please tell me you're pretending to be this stupid

>it's a new chassis I swear
>literally ripped from the old impreza
>fa20 literally a copy of the old ass ej20 that was in the old wrx

Where's the source of your stupid claim fuckface?

>Let's make it "light"
>aluminum? Fuck that, sheet metal it is!
>[surface rust intensifies]

Ignore this guy. He comes into every 86 thread and tries to convince people that the Civic is a better driver's car.

>faster
>just as light
>superior in every way
>no! It's not rwd that means it's automatically bad because Veeky Forums told me it was

It's a good car. Literally the lightest new rwd manual car with a roof you can buy, and while 200hp isn't much by today's inflated standards, it's more than enough power to reach the limits of most drivers and by now there are tons of FI options available for when you decide you need more. Most of the old Jap shitboxes you all seem to love have considerably less power and/or handle worse. The 86 is a beacon of hope for manual light rwd cars if nothing else

>my civic is superior in every way

>>superior in every way
See, this is where you're wrong

Stop replying to the autist, he's making bullshit claims just for (You)'s

Literally this

this doesn't mean that other cars are bad
This doesn't mean the 86 is the best car

it just means that Toyota tried to deliver a modern version of what we like

Its a good car

The real reason is because cars are too expensive.
We cannot say this without sounding like communists so we nitpick the details.
The truth of the matter is, the things cost so damn much.
This frustrates us because back in the caveman days, the most intelligent or strongest would get the resources. We see others less intelligent than ourselves or not quite as strong, and deep down, our inner gorilla, wants to take what should, in accordance with nature, be ours but laws and such prohibit this obviously. So, we look for other outlets. Maybe a mechanical detail. Maybe something to do with the specs. Maybe the aesthetics. Deep down however, we all know this is false.

It’d be great if it had 225hp/200tq. Hell, I’d be happy with just the torque. I always pop up in these threads; had a 2013, the shortcomings of the car were a bit much for me so i sold it and got a 2010 mustang that I then modded so On and so forth not typing out the whole story. Long story short it’s cheaper and easier to make a fast car handle well than it is to make a slow car fast. Once they get below $10k Id consider another one because I really wanted to like the car, but it’s issues along with the price at the time were a bit much.

You took a huge loss getting shit back for the FRS (nobody wants the Scion) then went to buy a used Mustang that was more than likely abused for more money only to spend alot more money on suspension. With that Edelbrock supercharger you would have been Gravy

it's not a good car per se, but it's an excellent tuning platform

Mustang ecoboost. It beats it in every performance metric.

Ecobewst overheats and pukes coolant, also alot heavier no thanks

But yet people cream their pants over an old ass low HP AE86.

Unironically this even if it's bait.
Retards always want more, they want a nice looking sports car that weighs practically nothing and handles perfectly while still having a V8 with 600 horsepower, but it also must extremely affordable and reliable.
The only thing this one doesn't tick is the horsepower, but it makes up for it in turns.
ONLY MUTTS CARE ABOUT 0-60 TIMES.

Unpopular opinion: but I actually dislike pop-ups.

This.

I sold the frs in 2014 for a bone stock mustang GT which had 49k miles with zero issues and religiously maintained. I had enough money to buy a cai, headers, mid pipe, end pipe, and tunes to make them play nice while having $1100 left over for myself after that. I came out on top in that process but good try.

You probably got 17k for the FRS and paid well over 24k for the mustang not including all the shit you put into it

The biggest issue I have with this car is that it isn't affordable at all. In where I live the costs for new ones are:
$39k for BRZ/GT86

compared to
$30k for miata
$47k civic type r (not really a competitor, another case of not affordable shitty fwd box but with at least some power)
$48k STI
$48k+ area is reserved for BMW 1er,3er/Audi S3/

I don't know about you guys, but the whole idea of an affordable small new two-seater for fucks and jiggles stops at around $25k.

When I just compare $39k pricetag to what all I can get for this kind of a money, I just wouldn't bring myself to spend it this way.

I'm fine with 200hp rwd, I'm fine with only basic features, shitty wheels, no electronic features and basic handling that would challenge my skills. If only it was wrapped in 22-25k package to actually justify it. Then people can decide if they keep it like this as a toy car or pour heavy money into it with performance parts and make it a god machine.

Miata is better than gt86 and has less power.

In the States the BRZ starts at 25.5k making it several thousand dollars cheaper than the base 370z, EBM with PP, and Miata club edition.

What country do you live in?

It really should have been only 24k new not 26k. For the lack of power it could have easily had 250hp and 200 peak torque. They could have easily gotten rid of the torque dip early on but didn't. It could have come with wider tires but doesn't. They could have solved all of its issues in the last 6 years but haven't. The amount of ways they cheaped out is insane for the price. I would never consider this car brand new.

Also why does the new gt86 look so fucking stupid? The car literally looks like it has downs

This. The moats is about the same size. Is actually built from the ground up and weighs like 300 pounds lighter than the brz.

There's nothing particular about this car that makes it better to tune than any other car. It is cramped as fuck in the engine bay and the ecu is still encrypted.

300lbs isn't all that much considering the 86 has 2 extra seats, way more storage space and a fixed hard top.

The Miata is great, but not everyone wants to spend 30k to daily drive a 2 seat convertible

yeah but the aftermarket is pretty yuge

Once again. With the money that I sold for my frs I had enough to buy the mustang, the mods I mentioned and have $1100 left over in cash. There is no “probably”, that’s what happened.

370z starts at $44k ..
mustang ecobewbs starts at $55k
mustang V8 starts at $62k

miata still beats the shit out of every single competitor in here. And it's still 5k more expensive than I'd be willing to pay...

imma from beerland called czech republic..

I owned one for a few years, it was great. People who don't like it probably don't own anything better either.

So that doesn't include the extra 2k spent on suspension mods?

After having the mustang for two years I decided “hey I wanna turn better” and spent about $2400 on better rotors, brakes, and suspension. I had recently gotten new tires as well that I got for cheap for like $380. I believe I had them for about 3 months at that time. All in all I’ve put about $5900 in mods into the car, which I now enjoy overall much more than I did the frs (although I really don’t consider better tires a mod since I didn’t change the wheels or anything)

Of course you'll enjoy a mustang with almost 6k invested more than a stock FRS

Shit that was a typo. It was $4900.

Yeah that’s right. I put about $2500 into power, $2400 into the suspension and brakes.

My point in that is I’ll have spent more than that making the frs a faster car. Like I said before, handling is cheaper than power.

This. The GT86 really shows Veeky Forums's true colours. You pretend to be about "smiles per hour" and "hitting the touge", but in actuality, you're a bunch of meme-followers who only like cars because of a bad anime. If MF Ghost gets an anime, I guarantee Veeky Forums will immediately pretend to have always loved this car. I am going to buy one in five years when they are dirt cheap and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

I would strongly consider buying a turbo'd one with around 270PS.
A stock one is just too expensive for what you get.

The majority of people on here focus way too much on data sheets and track times.

They think by memorizing numbers they can effectively determine which cars are good and which ones aren't.

The problem with that is that there are plenty of cars that look great on paper, but are terrible to actually drive in a spirited fashion.