How are you balancing the costs of your living arrangements (rent, mortgage etc.) with your car...

How are you balancing the costs of your living arrangements (rent, mortgage etc.) with your car? Are you one of these guys who lives in a shit house but has a super expensive car? Are you one of those rich guys who lives in a million dollar house but drives a 20 year old Volvo? Something in between?

I live in grad student housing and am heavily in debt.

I'm one of those guys who is stingy about every expense including living and cars. Steadily growing some savings despite not making a lot of money.

Same. I only drive classics as they kinda gain value and thus lowering my TCO.
Also I only drive them from March to October to save insurance/tax and save them from snow and salt on the roads
Otherwise im the cheapest mf you can be

I live with my parents, have a full time job and buy 15-20 year old cars and motorcycles, because they're cheap and I don't lose money on depreciation when it comes time to sell. At least that's what I tell myself, since I know on the back of my mind that it isn't the best financial decision to have multiple vehicles when I haven't even moved out yet, but I'll enjoy it while I can.

>started job making ~40k/yr in June
>still live with mom, no rent
>still drive shitbox that I got from my dad
>bought an old Mercedes that needs some work for $1700
>have over $10k in my account as of now despite only working 8 or 9 months in total
I like money

>free rent, just pay my share of utilities
>cost of food and other living expenses shared with my girlfriend who I live with
>make ~$55k a year
>next month I'll finally have all of my credit cards paid off for the first time since before college
>pay about $500 a month on my automotive loan, $100 more than the minimum payment
>thinking about increasing that auto loan payment and buying a brand new 2018 Mustang GT
I like cars more than houses or money.

I live in my car.

Living arrangements
>Housing provided through work
>Utilities are split 4 ways with roommates

Unfortunately this means in order to quit my shit tier job I lose housing.

This.

>Diet consists of protein shakes and supplements
>Each meal comes out to about a $1.30, depending on my mood 800-1800 calories, tons of complex carbs, and body weight in protein
>Roommate can't believe how many oats I consume
>Always complains he has no energy

>40k a year
>Only ~10k in the bank over the course of 8-9 months
user, you like spending money. I only make ~27k a year and I put away more than you. Granted, no costly living expenses either.

>Credit cards
>Finally paying them off
Good for you, user. They're a dangerous tool.

>Showed roommate some of my credit cards and explained the amazing benefits they come with after he asked how I was able to travel so cheaply
>He went out and got himself a nice 0% APR with a 3k cap
>Maxed it out and is now stuck paying interest as he tries to eliminate his debt

I drive a 2015 and it isn't financially straining but I can't buy any more cars until I have a house with a garage. I already get down on myself keeping the Mustang outside I couldn't imagine getting a Corvette or 911 as a second car and continue living in an apartment. I have ~$85k saved about halfway to my down payment

I did valet parking when I was in college so I got to drive all kinds of luxury cars and supercars. Realized that they weren't all they were cracked up to be.

I drive a 13-year-old 4runner that I love and I have a house worth 750k.

>25y/o
>work comfy office job
>militaryfag in the reserves
>still live at home with mummy
>currently have no idea what I make a year, been a while since I calculated it
>drive a paid off bimmer
>want to move out but waiting for the bubble to burst again like it did in 08 because renting is for plebs
>probably will dump autistic sports car obsession for trucks when I finally decide to grow the fuck up
>mfw I’m becoming more and more like pic related by the day

>0% APR
>stuck paying interest
Was the 0% APR just a six month promo offer or something?

It always is. There's no such thing as a permanent 0% interest card.

>you like spending money
You’re not wrong, but I’m still saving over 50% of my income as of now, and when I first started my job I had no previous income and no savings. Add to that the fact that I spent a significant chunk of cash to the tune of about $3000 on tools for my new job once I’d settled in, on top of community college tuition, food, insurance and gas. I’m doing way better than any other 19y/o I know. Makes me kind of a hit to have that kind of on-demand spending money.

> bought apartment in shitty neighbourhood at 4,5% IR after leaving the military at 23 in 2008
> study engineering
> drive shitboxes until finished in 2016
> pay mortage on 1% IR student loan + savings
> get degree in 2015
> Get job which includes a car
> 3 years and 2 jobs later
> Renew mortage at 2,3%
> Drive new VW Golf company lease car
> own 3 weekend shitboxes
> Neighbourhood becomes a hip place to live
> Apartment aprpeciated $85k+ over what i paid.
> rent out apartment
> Buy a house with gf

Looking for a place to store 2 of my shitboxes

I pay low rent for a small bedroom and own a cheap shitbox.
Spending everything on visiting my gf.

I have a mortgage on a sub-100k house in the ghetto and buy shitboxes because they're all I can afford.

simple little apartment, simple shitbox, simple blue collar job
life is good

>blue collar job
kys

>posted from my office

blue collar job is best collar job

Not him, but I am literally posting this from my office as we speak. A big chunk of my time is spent fucking around on Veeky Forums and /k/ while at work because why the fuck not, I still get shit done to appease my masters.

>literally getting paid to browse and post on Veeky Forums
Pretty good if you ask me.

>live in co-op
>rent 650/mo
>no bills, meals provided
>Motorcycle paid off, insurance 300/yr
>1981 Toyota Corona, no insurance because still repairing it
>pocket everything else, live like a king and barely have to budget anything
>pick up new little projects every couple of weeks, dabble in small engines, motorized bicycles, and learn to fab in spare time
>require absolutely none of my vehicles to be functional at any one time because I live in front of one of the best bus stops in the city
>provide bud to other house members so I smoke for free
>enjoy awesome live music and set new standards for party shenanigans because my building is also a venue

City life is actually pretty chill if you do it right

I live in a one bedroom apartment and drive an 89 s10 that I got for free

>Dabble
Squirrel slipper bro?

I pay $2120 a month and drive a 96 Rav4. I had a 94 Acura Vigor but it shit the bed on NYE. I could have fixed it, but /depressed mechanic/

I don't like new cars. I can't agree with them, so I'll continue to drive my old hunks of metal. I miss my 93 4Runner, so I'll probably pick up another 2nd gen sooner or later.

KEK grow up from manchild to become insecure man with lifted truck. Same shit dude, just different ride. Buy what you want and enjoy, life is short.

Honestly anons I don't understand what the purpose of credit cards is. I spend like $200 a week on gas and red bull and shit, but then I pay it off at the end of the week...

Do people really use credit cards as a way to finance large purchases?

Some people have a really small brain is why credit cards exist.

kek, yeah I get the convinence of not doing cash and getting change, you just swipe but damn. Pay for your purchases!

Credit cards are convenient and they are better protection against fraud than debit cards. You can also get rewards from them.

Only a mouth-breathing imbecile would actually pay finance charges on a credit card. Just pay your balance each month and you'll come out ahead of paying cash for everything.

>he doesn't know about tactical debt

You're buying tools for work but go to a JC? Are you there for cert classes for a trade? I've just been buying tools for my entry level position while I wait for my apprenticeship placement.

>Live with parents
>Savings and job opportunity got erased when we had to suddenly move
>Working low pay electrician job without certificate
>Using parents Mini for transport
>Had to dump over a grand in maintenance in the last month
>Trying to save up a bit more money to make a down on a new truck before my apprenticeship starts

Fucking $2k in the savings account and only making $14 an hour with inconsistent hours while spending money on tools and maintaining a car I don't even like is not fun desu.

My apprenticeship will pay more and guarante hours, but until then getting my own truck and moving into a place with my friend feels a long ways away.

I live in a shit house and drive a shit car

Mid tier house around 175k value
11 cars, few mid tiers, mostly shitboxes maybe worth 40k together
Honestly don't even make that much money at all

I love my life.

I own my 2012 fiat 500 outright and I live at my parents. I'm saving up for a 2.3 ford ranger for a second vehicle. My parents are eventually moving into a smaller house when they retire and rent my current house out to me. I pay them utility money so I get treated like a roommate.

Quite middle of the road on both, none of my cars are overly expensive, my house is a relatively normal 4 bedroomed affair within walking distance (4 miles each way) of work, on a short mortgage. I pay £~600 a month into my pension pot have a few grand in cash savings sitting around if I need it and I have paid off my student debt. Generally, live within my means.

this. try to refrain to always be an obnoxious asshole and live with buddies
>live in a share house with two friends. have the basement for me and I pay like little bit less than 300$cad/month
>work only during summer. get paid 900$/2 week rest of the year so I work out a little trying not to get fat,smoke weed and play vdya ,browse Chinese board. havent save jack shit because 25 and want to live life.
I own a 92 toyota 4runner and a 1986 Celica gts. Life is great

4 bedroom 2 bath 500k
Drive 2007 civic si

Saved up $80,000 in cash going back to my parents house in 5 years . Bought an s2000 $15,000 cash and have an is350 as a daily looking into upgrading to an isf

>good apartment because my parents own a bunch of property for rent so they gave one to me to live in for free apart from bills n shiet
>no gf
>cook a lot, hardly ever eat out unless it's with friends. extremely stingy in every way.
>Veeky Forums so the only "expensive" food i buy is meat. i maintain high calories with cheap foods (milk/oatz/nuts/dried fruit/cottage cheese)
>spend all of the rest of my money on cars, barely save up any money other than a few £k for emergency repairs for the nsx

no point saving up because my parents make a shit ton of money through investments that i'll get anyway. even if i save up for the next 10 years, it would be equivalent to what they make in a few months so it makes no financial sense to limit my enjoyment in my 20s.

>live in rustic villa
>have a E36 318i and a '96 VW Polo Classic 1.6

this is why you'll always be poor

I have 15y morgage on apartment, I took a loan (4y long) to get the remaining 40% costs to get new STI now. And I'll still have some extra cash to live by comfortably

I live at home and drive a beat up 2005 Legacy wagon. I also have 70k in the bank.

I started off in a trade program (diesel mechanic) but now I’m doing general ed so that I can transfer and get a four-year engineering degree.

I live in a almost million dollar home and drive a 22yo Toyota Prado.

Debt is for slaves.