I plan on taking a pic related road trip in late August, looks to be about a 16-18 hour drive (stops included)...

I plan on taking a pic related road trip in late August, looks to be about a 16-18 hour drive (stops included). I want to take the 1 along the coast up to Ashland, OR. I would like to get there no later than 10pm, I figure I leave San Jose around 4-5am.

I will have a rental, something V8 so I can carve up the roads. Looking for recommendations on places to stop, eat, rest, visit. Any particular roads, or routes to take. Places to avoid. I’ll be doing this in one sitting, no need to camp, or lodge. I would love to find any hole in the wall places, and avoid tourist hot spots.

goo
.gl/maps/ Bpyf2T8ZrFy

>14 hours
>620 miles
The fuck is this weak ass 30mph average shit show.
I can only suggest that you go on a week day, on maybe a cloudy or cold day and whatever you fucking do, avoid holidays like aids.
Protip, if you don't average at least 45 without stops, you're a cunt.

Make the end point Longview washington and get your shit stolen

T. Longview / Rainier fag

You're fucking retarded for going anywhere near SF.

Like seriously, that is the most fucking miserable place to possibly drive, and a major tourist trap.

I bet an Asian guy is going to sideswipe your rental car and you'll be fucked when he drives off, yelling at you in Chinese.

But since you're such a tremendous faggot, you will probably enjoy it and end up cancelling the rest of your drive to suck dicks all day in SF.

epic post friend xD

Not OP, but it looks like from his location he basically has to go through San Francisco if he wants to go up the coast. Only way around would be to head east to I-5 and then head back northwest after Sacramento. That'd be pretty retarded and he'd miss like 40% of the coastal route because of the way the roads go through the mountains.

This. I had to drive from Atl to NO, and it only took me about 7h.

My captcha indicates how fast OP will be going.

San Francisco is fucking dead at night. Literally no one on the streets. I'm leaving at 5am, it will be traffic free.
It's a scenic route. Last time I drove down the coast from Portland, I was easily going 45-60 on all the mountain 30mph roads.

I really have no problem taking it slow either.

OP I've made the drive from Southern California (Orange County) to Oregon (Corvallis) many, many times. It takes me about twelve hours to get to my destination. Granted I take I-5 the whole way, but it's also double your distance.

How does it take me twelve hours to go twice your distance that will apparently take you fourteen hours?

Though I must admit, the last time I went from Corvallis to Southern Orange County it took me sixteen hours because there was CONSTANT construction and heavy traffic on I-5 on a Thursday night. Made no damn sense and it was awful. Other than that last time though, about twelve hours is my average time.

>, I was easily going 45-60 on all the mountain 30mph roads.
Fuckin pussy cunt

Please please please check out gold beach bluffs. You won't regret it.

>Late August

Have choking on wildfire smoke the whole time.

Hey user, you should stop by Patrick's Point just north of Trinindad, CA. You won't regret it.

he can just drive over sf on the freeway

Good thing he isn't going to washington then faggot

Do yourself a favor OP and go see what Calfornia has to offer.

>not doing the wildcat
take mattole road to cape mendo and ferndale
you will not regret
go west y/o/ung man
bonus points: eat something in flavortown

Reddingfag pls go

second this
pic mildly related

Nice choices, really like the area around Happy Camp and Trinidad

I live in Santa Cruz. Everything here is a tourist trap.The stretch of hwy 1 from SF to SC isn't as nice as the bits north or south of it, but the curvy mountain roads (9 and 17) are pretty sweet. AMA relating to Santa Cruz if you're still insistent on stopping here.

Also, seconding this.

Ah, I've oy been down highway 17 once, being from Monterey. And I remember thinking, what a good road this would be if there was no cars on it. Shame really that there are.

It's dead from 10pm-5am. It's not as fun as los laureles grade you have down there though. That shit's fun.

Where do college aged people go to hangout. I'm a new ucsc transfer and have no idea. Also recommend me a nice beach away from the boardwalk, don't want to deal with tourists

I do the first 1/6th of that drive pretty often sj > sc > San Gregorio > sf when in going to see my gf who lives in the city. it's a great drive. Don't take 17 to get to SC unless there won't be any cars on the road and if you do, watch out for cops they are all over 17. I usually take hwy 9 through big basin and keep driving until I hit 1. If you do decide to make a longer stop there's a camping area called memorial Park by San Gregorio. It's small but a really nice place to bring friends and have a BBQ

Also there's a C7 zo6 on turo in the area for $75 a day

Btw I live in sssj

Capitola or New Brighton

The Red Room is the most popular college bar for hangout vibe. Depends on what you're into, but you can find a group for almost any activity. Natural bridges is cool for the tidepools, Bonny Doon has some nice beaches that aren't as heavily trafficked.

I've taken a similar route in the past, I want to check out the coast this time, but if you have suggestions on a mixed route, I'm game. I love driving into the mountains from the west coast.

noted
was there 4 years ago during the big fires, wasnt an issue.

more details please, Im having a hard time finding these spots.

I only set it as a destination so Google Maps would route me along the coast. I will purely drive through it.

I'll look at this route. I also need a big car as I will be traveling with luggage. Good size trunk, and rear seats.

Any hot springs along the way?

hello saturnfag

There are some hot springs in Carmel Valley and Big Sur, but those are both a bit further south.

>laureles grade
Sadly I've not been over this with anything fast yet.
Carmel valley is top fucking tier though for slower cars with pathetic suspension, I got wheels off the ground multiple times.

Op here.

I've been redefining the route, and in gonna drive East after Leggett, and take all the super curvey roads to Ashland.

This does make the entire drive 18 hours tho, a bit too long.

I may just make plans to leave from San Francisco. Is the drive along the coast between Santa Cruz to San Francisco worth it, or can I skip it to save time?

Just drive faster

I plan to, but with food, gas, and sight seeing stops it pretty much goes back up to the estimate time.

You are picking the worst way to go to Oregon.

It would be better to go through any of the endless mountains all throughout the state then to go through the coast where you will have a police officer every five feet on the 101.

I'm gonna mix in coastal with mountain roads.

Ayy it's a South Bay fag hows rent for you/ housing costs

Honestly, skip it. You get stuck behind slow ass trucks and cruisin' boomers on a one-lane road. The coast isn't all that special on that stretch (compared to Big Sur or Bodega). You could head down to San Gregorio and cut in on 84>35>9 if you want to see some of it. If you feel the need to see Santa Cruz, the mountain routes are by far the best.

t. Santa Cruz resident

I've done that run many times. You'll be exhausted, as it's lot's of 2-lane roads with trucks everywhere. Consider making it a 2-dayer. In Oregon people drive considerably slower than CA.

As you leave SF, swing by Bob's Quality Donuts on Polk between Sacramento and Clay. Get in there early enough and you'll see all the girls coming in off the track. Awesome donuts.

Go to Ft. Bragg CA, and eat at The North Coast brewing Company. Eat ice cream at Cowlicks, right at the crossroads downtown.

In Gold beach Oregon go to Spinners. Drive out to Cape Blanco- very cold and windswept point with a lighthouse.

In Florence Oregon go downtown Restobar and Waterfront depot were ok.

299 seems to go on for-ev-er. It feels real similar to Hwy 50 through the Sierras.

I hear the drive is better south, if I don't see anything new near Santa Cruz I can just avoid all that, and head north right away.
Thanks, I'll look up all these places.

Attached is my updated route

Slight amendment

Good choice on 9 instead of 17 from SC>SJ. It's a lot slower but so much better.

SF? worst? ha... buddy buddy
try being stuck in LA, Hawthorne gridlock, in a fucking semi for hours. Swore i would never drive a large vehicle in LA again

i fucking hate Santa cruz now. when i used to go in the 90s the boardwalk was bomb. now its exactly like you said a horrible tourist trap.

I approve of this change

Stop in Arcata for some Hey Juan Burritos. Don't stop in Eureka, its a shithole full of junkies.

Yeah, Red Room for the (((cool))) kids, also locals in their 20s. Surf city on Monday night for the pool and darts

Moved away from Santa Cruz after ~5 years and over that period the town has gotten expensive and less unique (too many international students and South Bay techies)

reality is stranger than fiction over here

Ashland has a strong upper crust of hippie.
I had dinner at a co-op grocer cafeteria and a one guy was eating an avocado pit

It's 90% tourists, hobos, and students. And now the Bay's rich techy crowd is buying everything up and turning it into SJ Jr. I'm trying to find a place in the hills to escape from this BS without moving too far.

funny, im meeting a hippie there.

Bump