So. I recently bought myself a BA Falcon XR6 Turbo...

So. I recently bought myself a BA Falcon XR6 Turbo. Wanted to show the engine off and ask a few questions if anyone knows anything about them.

Is it normal for an XR6 Turbo to idle a little rough?

I used to have an e39 BMW 540i. I was expecting the XR6T to be very noticeably faster than the 540i, but it's hard to tell. The 540i is definitely a harder accelerating car, which I expected ( V8 vs Turbo I6), but it is normal for it to be a little sluggish at first, and then have a very sudden onset of power? I've seen people doing burnouts with XR6 Turbos, but I don't think mine could manage it.

I don't want to turn it into a race car or anything, but I'd like to do some mods to it. If I was going to spend say, $1,000, what would be the most effective way of spending that money?

Other urls found in this thread:

capa.com.au/ford_flash_2.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Is it normal for an XR6 Turbo to idle a little rough?
No. Have it investigated.
>I was expecting the XR6T to be very noticeably faster than the 540i, but it's hard to tell.
They're both about 0-100km in around flat six seconds. The XR6 will be easier to tune more performance from though.
>normal for it to be a little sluggish at first, and then have a very sudden onset of power?
Turbo lag. The downside of the BA and early BF XR6Ts large GT35/40 turbo is they're pretty laggy at lower RPM.
>If I was going to spend say, $1,000, what would be the most effective way of spending that money?
Look at exhaust, intercooler and a tuning module. Try finding something like this secondhand capa.com.au/ford_flash_2.htm

Thanks for that. I'll be taking it into my mechanic tomorrow or soon, so I'll be sure to mention the rough idle.

I also could not find any 0-100 times, so good to know it's around 6 seconds.

I was expecting some turbo lag, but I was a little surprised. Took a little getting used to.

I was thinking a mid muffler delete pipe and possibly a tune. Is upgrading the intercooler that big a deal?

Get a dyno check oil and coolant better yet take a pic or take a video if your worried

This.

>I also could not find any 0-100 times
Yeah, I just remember a lot of the Motor magazine tests at the time quite vividly. It was a pretty exciting time for performance vehicles. From memory the year the XR6T was released, the S15 won Motor's PCOTY.
I too remember being a little disappointed in how laggy they are the first time I drove one, thinking a 4.0L shouldn't be too laggy. But again that all comes back to turbocharger sizing, and the GT35/40 is still relatively big for a 4.0L that rev limits at 6000rpm. At least that gives a lot of headway for tuning and increasing boost, and often the turbo upgrade for these early turbo XR6s is simply highflowing the standard turbo.
Intercooler's not a huge deal, although there are some gains to be had when increasing boost with a tune, but the Exhaust and tune would be the first two things to prioritise. A lot of XR6T owners resort to eBay intercoolers with good effect which might be something to look at down the track. But first, yeah, get that idle looked at, and make sure it's not a sign of a more serious problem. Could be something as simple as an ICV.

Don't join the Falcunt discord.

Report and sage all Falcunt posts.

Are you the same guy who keeps posting about xr6t?
If so, give it a fucking break mate. Congratulations on buying a 14 year old car, but we dont need to see it every damn day.

Wut

Not a fan of Falcons?

Piss off with your drama bullshit. Some of us just want to discuss cars.

>Is it normal for an XR6 Turbo to idle a little rough?
Yep, I mentioned it would idle like a dog when you made your first post, injected Falcons always have.

The XR6 will be faster, whether your pants agree or not, unless it's fucked.

>No. Have it investigated.
The only time it's not normal on a Falcon is when they're new, they're forever developing vacuum leaks.

So. One vote for rough idle, one vote for not rough idle. Anyone else?

And a car with rough idle, as predicted.

If its as user says and turbo barras are constantly developing vac leaks then just replace all the vacuum lines.
vacuum leaks wreak havoc on power output and fuel economy and can mean your car is running lean.

Just because its a normal problem with these cars doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed

not my discord faggot

On a turbocharged engine a vacuum leak is only really a vacuum leak at idle, soon as you hit boost it's a very minor boost leak.

this and the intake manifold can leak where it meets the block

Check your plugs, check coils for tracking, check/tighten all your boost hoses, and make sure the inlet manifold gasket hasn't cracked.

> If I was going to spend say, $1,000, what would be the most effective way of spending that money?
Provided you're sure the engine is running fine and has no issues, you can easily get a fair bit more power with a dyno tune, and plenty more power with injectors, fuel pump, and a larger intercooler.

Which I would say is the more common vacuum leak on the Fords although hoses and plastic fittings are also culprits.

mmhmmm

check for boost leaks op

Check for boost/vacuum leaks. Got it. Going to have a thorough check through it and probably have an oil change, tune up, etc.

get a dyno

>tune up
Mechanic here, what do normies actually mean when they say "tune up"?

I've never met a mechanic that didn't know the general idea of a tune up. Then again, I'm originally from the US, so maybe it's more of a US term?

Anyways, update! Just took the car out for a little drive. A lot easier to hear stuff at night. There's definitely a something leak. Quite a significant whistle/whine. Didn't notice it earlier, but I did have the windows up, with the AC on, in traffic most of that time.

There was also an occasional other sound when the car was warm. Almost a hallow hum, vibrating sound. Only happened for a second or so, around 2200-2500 RPM. Never owned a turbocharged car before, so if anyone has ideas as to what that sound is/could be, I'd appreciate it.

I don't deal with customers and I've never actually had to take my own cars to another mechanic.

I'm just confused about what people expect from a 'tune up', do they mean spark plugs, fuel filter, and air filter? Do they actually expect some kind of engine tuning? It seems to imply the latter, which makes sense for old carburetor cars, but is simply not at all applicable to EFI after the 90s.

When I say tune up, I think of checking/changing plugs, wires, coils, filters, any leaking vacuum lines, etc. Smaller stuff that generally tends to need attention as cars get older. Nothing to do with an actual tune.

Ah. These days most of that is either covered as part of the log book service or is classed as diagnostic work and only gets done if the car is running noticeably rough.

I'm old, leave me alone. lol

Alright. So... watching some XR6 Turbo videos, and the whistle/whine I noticed in mine is there in these videos. Should it really be making that loud of a whine running stock boost though?

As for the hallow humming sound, no clue still.

If you can be bothered, take the front pipe off the turbo, grab the nose of the compressor wheel/nut and pull out/push in - if there's any noticeable play there, in and out the turbo is either already fucked or on it's way out and needs a core change. It's common as hell with them and basically any other petrol turbo running a ball bearing turbo.

This the oil feed and cooling design of those old garret turbos is junk

He types like a older fella in his 40s give the old timer a break.

Xr6t is a great Aussie car enjoy it op

Just don't be sad when U get chopped by a 20 year old VT ls1 with steelies and no fuel cap

>falcunt
>reddit spacing
have to step your game up false flagger

But I am falcunt. Take a joke mate go to bed 2am shitposter kek

>But I am falcunt.
That was exactly the point, you halfwit fuck. You got called out on your shit.

No you called me a false flagger.

>Mfw I trigger you again and I literally wasn't even trying.
Can we go back to banter and talking about Aussie cars? U seriously all can't even do that so maybe it's best if you just fuck off back to your containment discord with nobody in it