Just got ripped off buying a $1500 car that is fucked beyond repair

>just got ripped off buying a $1500 car that is fucked beyond repair
>$3000 to get a new engine which is a waste
>$350 to trade it in for scrap, -$100 for towing
>i only have $2,300 left, and will barely have $3000 after paycheck and rent next monday
fucking no car now for real, shit
kill me

Other urls found in this thread:

cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/727991041/overview/
cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/727777321/overview/
cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/727049810/overview/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Should have bought the 3k Civic

The 1.5k Civic or whatever you bought is almost never a good idea

what did you buy

I have a good car for sale. $4k. Will last you 100k miles easy.

Thats your own fault for not doing a proper inspection. Why didnt you yank the new engine and sell it for 2k? Man you aren't a smart person.

>bought an 80s chevy for $1.5k
>literally looks brand fucking new
>owned by a mechanic who used it twice a week to bring tools to and from work
>drives perfectly

I feel like I got a new car out of a time machine for less than 2 grand. Feels good. Sorry about your shitbox though mate

Hello I am a Nigerian, but no not fret, new friend, I am Nigerian Prince!

Please leave email I will send further contact ASAP

2004 pontiac grand prix

i will only have $3,000 did u not read? ='(

the engine is fucked man they lied to me

just armor-all the dash and sell it to some idiot for 1700

>2004 pontiac grand prix

How does this motor cost $3k? They put them in almost every car GM made from the 80s to early 00s. Just get a junkyard pull you idiot.

>pontiac
If you had asked us, which you didn't, we would have steered you away. This is your fault.
Don't try to fix it, it's not worth it. Part it out or have it hauled away and learn your lesson.

Yeah and none of them run anymore.

>they lied to me
what the seller says is completely irrelevant

Congrats, u'r retarded

>$500 for 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager with 150k mi
>3k miles later and still no problems

>black keys album cover car

Shoulda got a Buick.

>95
>black keys album cover car
???

What area you in? I’ll find you a car on CL.

>we would have steered you away.

No matter what it is, we would steer him in 8 different directions

uniroincally this

There are two cars in this world:

>$1.5k Buick
>$3k civic

For me it is the $1,400 buick century

there are also pre 98 FWD volvos for 1500

yeah but then you get grouped into that category with that moron who almost oversteered off a cliff on Veeky Forums

You know company's buy shit cars and tend to pay for the haul away

>Bought the $4k Buick
Engine modded to make 380hp and over 400ftlbs, feeling pretty smug.

nice looking car user

buick sedans literally make my dick hard

A 2004 Grand Prix will have a 3800 motor in it. The motors are basically free to buy since they never go bad and handle a shitload of abuse. Probably just needs intake gaskets, head gasket failure is pretty rare on a 3.8. Could also be the 3 dual coil packs with the ignition control module thing underneath them, those can fail as well.

I had a motor swap done 2 weeks ago in a 3800 impala (was ran out of oil and drove, developed a knock) and it cost me $325 in labor and a motor from a wrecked $150 car. You are either lying or someone is taking advantage for you with the "$3,000 for a new engine" line.

>t. used car dealer that currently owns 4 2004-2008 Grand Prix's and a 2004 GTP Grand Prix

>10/10 would put out for sale on the front row

/10 would put out for sale on the front row
why?

why do used car dealers love buicks so much

They're the god tier used car, cheap, comfy, clean, and powerful.

They have good ratings, seems to me they wanted to fix it, towing was free with repair, but they said it's not worth even repairing probably and offered a scrap place's phone #

It had $190k miles on it, it should really be cheap ti replace a whole engine?

Gainesville FL

Where is a $1.5k drivable car?

cars.com

or auctions

ANYWHERE

facebook marketplace is by far the best place to look. craigslist is meh. auctions will always have 1 but i don't recommend auctions

cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/727991041/overview/
what about this 1? think it's good?

nah forget cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/727777321/overview/

is this one worth buying? i have no car i need to drive to work like 10 miles a day maximum, that's it

No way to really know until you drive the car in person. See if you can take it to the dealer for a pre purchase inspection before you hand over any cash.

ok, that's a cop car right? if it drives fine though, is it a good kind of car? i had a hyundai accent once and it always had problems even though it worked fine at first, costed me $1500 a year on average in repairs.

I like this Hyundai Elantra.

cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/727049810/overview/

Funnily enough I also have a Hyundai Accent that I bought at 38k miles and within 3k, the engine developed a knock. I don't know if the previous owners just didn't take care of it and let it sit, or if it was a factory defect, but the dealer had to pay to put another engine in the car. Also A/C compressor went out too. It was a 7 year old car with 38k miles at time of purchase so I think the previous owner just didn't drive it, or they bought it for their kids and they couldn't drive manual so it just sat parked.

As for this Elantra, however, I know a couple people who own one around the same year and they love it. Cheap and good on gas. Just have it pre-inspected before purchase. That's if you want to consider a Korean car though, I've noticed all the cars you've considered are American. If you want American, look at a 90s pickup or a Buick. Can't beat those.

>I like this Hyundai Elantra.
yeah, i dont have $4k, i could afford this:
2004 crown vic
and my parents know someone with a car for $3.2k, and since it's 4 hours away they would pay to take it to the mechanic, make sure it's good and my dad makes $100k/yr if it broke he would fix that one. so i'm just looking for something under $3k, if nothing $2k or less is even worth it i'll just bum rides for another month =(

>believing a used car salesman
>ever
Whether it's a private party owner selling his car or a used car salesman, you can not ever believe what they tell you. Any time you buy a used car you have any questions about, just take it to a mechanic first to get a pre-purchase inspection.

Any dealer or private seller that actually wants to sell a vehicle as advertised will take the car to any mechanic you want (obviously you pay for it).

You know, if you're not completely fucked on credit and you'll legitimately have 3k to spend on a car, you could use it as a down payment. Brand new Ford Fiesta with a manual is 10k. You'll never have to wonder which asshole did what to your car last.

>$3000 to get a new engine which is a waste
>$3000 engine
>2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

What the fuck? Maybe a brand new crate engine is $3000 shipped to your door, sure. But a used engine for a Grand Prix will *never* cost anywhere near $3000.

You can buy a brand new high output 350 crate engine from Summit for that kind of price, including everything but the distributor.

What the fuck OP?

Alternatively, he could lease a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost for $250 a month. Even if you have not the best credit you can get a lease offer much easier than financing a new car purchase.

I'm not usually one for leasing cars, but $250 a month should be affordable for pretty much anyone, and then OP has what is actually a great car that gets decent MPG.

At least you arent a debt slave! Right?! XD

this, I have a coworker who was trying to get me to buy a busted grand prix with a working engine and transmission for $300.

Are most car salesmen niggers trying to scam you? Or is OP in his situation because he lives in Florida?

i don't really have credit, and on top of that i have been employed for 3 years, i make $18/hr and haven't paid a cent of income tax. an $8k loan for me would cost me a fuckton in interest. honestly i can get to and from work for $10-15 a day with uber, with $1.2k/year insurance (24yo male) that's too much, i'm poor as i said in the OP

>10 miles a day maximum

Moped, scooter, bicycle...

I'm guessing OP just went to the first mechanic he saw, and instead of telling him what it would actually cost, just threw him a high number so they wouldn't have to fix a busted pos Pontiac.

this car is $25,000, it's too much

If i lived close by id love to help you. Pontiacs end up in the junkyard quite often and getting an engine isnt too difficult

>$18/hr
>poor
lmao

>I havent paid income tax.
Actually, you have been paying, everytime you get paid they take Fed taxes out automatically. You stupid ass hasnt been getting your refund by filing your W2.

>obviously you pay for it
Not necessarily. Depending on the ad ("recently inspected") and what they tell you, you can usually agree that they will pay for it if there's any major bullshit.

OK hold on. You're employed three years, you make 18/hr, which is decent money in FL (727 fag here), and you're worried because you don't have much credit? I don't know about your income tax bullshit, but if you're making that much money then why the fuck are you buying broken shitty old cars in the first place? You're either lying or didn't word your initial post correctly. Banks don't care if it's your first time. Credit unions care even less.

>tfw I financed a $2k car through my credit union because I was a poorfag and they would do it.

You could have used that cash for a down payment on a 7-8k car that will last another decade, but Veeky Forums will forever pretend financing is a meme.

>, everytime you get paid they take Fed taxes out automatically. You stupid ass hasnt been getting your refund by filing your W2.
i never filed any W2 or any document, i read about it once but everyone else told me their employer gave them the form. i never signed a document. nobody asked me to, nobody gave me shit. i just tell them the hours and get paid and they send me it, the fee is from the payment processor only.

with $600 in rent, it's not enough money to pay off a $10-25,000 car without paying hundreds in interest

>tried to sell my 2000 323i
>only major problem with it was that it liked to stall out when you came to a stop, oil level sensor was fucked
>there was more little shit wrong with the car than you could shake a stick at
>get burned for $500 because the nigger bought it for $700 and gave me some bullshit when i asked for the rest
>some odd weeks later (yesterday), checking around for a new car to buy
>see my old bmw for sale
>he even put the fucking mismatched grill i got from pick-your-part on it

i got denied by my bank for any loan, they told me they couldn't find my credit score! wtf does that even mean, since i've had the bank since i was 16 and i was 23 or 24 when i tried.

i hadn't ever heard of that either, nonexistent credit

Yeah exactly what this guy said. If you're really poor (maybe you have medical bills to pay off or something I don't know) and can't afford to drop $3,000 at a time on a car, just go to your local credit union. As long as you have a verifiable source of income they'll give you a small loan with no problem, and it'll even increase your credit history! Just put down like $500 on the loan (if $3000 is the total principal they might not even need any money down) and buy a 2004 Crown Victoria or something.

>without paying hundreds in interest
Why does this matter? Just think of that few hundred dollars as being part of the price of the car.

You're 24? Damn, that sucks. When I was 24, which I am now, I didn't buy a Grand Prix.

Let me walk you through this.

Open an account at a CREDIT UNION. Then explain to them you're trying to finance a car. Tell them you've never had a credit car, loan, mortgage, etc; then pull out the 3k in cash and explain to them you're trying to get a car. There's plenty of cars under 20,000 brand new, and there's a few in the 10-15k range that you won't hate. Most credit unions would be A-OK with that. Then all you have to do is find a dealership that isn't complete shit, walk on the lot, show them the pre-approval, tell them exactly what you want, and ignore the bullshit. I guarantee you most dealers have basic miseryboxes that are at the pricepoint you can afford just to lure in idiots that end up driving away with loaded, slightly larger miseryboxes.

I'm suggesting the Fiesta because you could pay that off in a few years easy, and the depreciation won't hurt your feelings that bad. Plus, from experience, they're not that bad with the 5-speed. They're fun enough and they don't have the giant touch screen you'll end up breaking anyways.

03 Grand Marquis right here. God I love my barge.

>verifiable source of income
so i just prove i have money coming in, they won't report it to the government and i'll get a loan? my bank denied me for having no credit

Where the fuck do you work that you've never recieved a W2? You either get one of those or a 1099, which would mean you actually DO owe a shit ton in taxes because they didn't withhold for you.

Or you work under the table and hey, you do you, man.

Yeah 3k for what id assume is the 3.8L is WAY too much. There are websites that sell 3.8's with less than 50k miles on them for half of that.

so you think a car under $10k isn't worth buying?

Whatever happened to people just buying 5 speed shit boxes for less than $3k? It's not like your $15,000 Ford Focus automatic won't have any problems either

i may or may not press buttons on a keyboard, in a place, in a chair, for somewhere between 5-8 hours a day, 5 days a week. there's a pretty cool guy there and he gives me money for it, LOL. i never signed any sort of paper for that, but i guess he could just tell me to not come in anymore and i couldn't apply for unemployment. i'd have to fuck up bad though, i've been paid to sit for hours doing jack squat

There isn't a new car under 10k anywhere. There are plenty of used cars under 10k, but you get to put up with whatever problems the last person covered up. As someone who's never owned a new car, and would love to save the money to buy one, I'm telling you that you're money ahead buying new. The warrenty guarantees you at least three trouble-free years, one way or the other.

Alternatively, you can buy a car under 3k and probably be just fine if you PAY ATTENTION before you hand over the cash. There's literally a sticky on Veeky Forums that tells you how to buy a car. I have bought enough cars that I can tell you, all of them have problems.

i am looking for a shitbox for like $2-3k, i only need to drive like 10 miles a day max

Who do you bank with? If it's a major national bank they tend to suck at giving competitive loans. Their APRs are higher and they're more strict with who they give their money to.

Credit unions on the other hand tend to be more competitive (they have to be in order to stay in business) and give loans out to first time borrowers more. Of course every credit union is different, and you may have to "shop around" at different ones to get a loan you like.

When I was 18 I had zero credit and moved out on my own for the first time. Many apartments wouldn't even rent to me because I had zero credit history - not even a phone payment since my dad paid for it at the time. I shopped around for apartments and eventually found a rather nice (well it was okay) one that told me "no credit is better than bad credit!" and accepted me as a resident.

>so i just prove i have money coming in, they won't report it to the government and i'll get a loan?
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, but yes you have to prove you have an income. Some kind of pay stub, earnings statement, or bank account deposit history should work. Typically they ask for pay stubs since it's easiest for most people. I don't know what you meant by "report it to the government" though. The government aren't the ones who monitor your credit scores, so they aren't really in the picture here at all when you get a loan.

>i've been paid to sit for hours doing jack squat
Meanwhile I'm at work getting overtime right now past 5 PM (clocked in at 8:16 AM) and just posting on Veeky Forums and monitoring this thread.

You don't have to sign a paper to agree to pay income taxes, you're obligated from the day you're born. Even if he gives you cash you have to pay taxes.

yes, apartments have private owners, i had the same issue because around here it's a rich kid university so if you're under 25 it's like $2000 or you need a guarantor usual;y but i've had one where an old lady owned a building i just sent her a $400 check in the mail.

i'll see about that loan thing, but if i did get one i wouldnt' want it very big. there's no car i can get for even $5000 that won't cost me much in repairs? i can imagine putting about 3000 miles maximum per year on the car. the traffic around my job at 5pm is so bad, i have to live within 5 miles of it. even if there is no traffic, the 3.5 mile ride takes twice as long with the red lights. i really cant see myself why i would spend so much over $5k on a vehicle at my shitty wages when i dont even need to put many miles on it

good advice except you get a better deal buying preowned imo.

Yeah that's what you get not just buying a good quality new car and financing it.

If you retards stopped buying and wrenching on shitboxes all day you could spend more time developing yourselves and your careers and afford to buy nice things. Working on cars is a fucking poorfag hobby. I don't even wash mine. I have a top tier mobile detailer that comes every other week and it only costs me $280 a month.

t. 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS owner

yeah i know, it's fine as the the government doesn't ask me for anything. because i have nothing to take, it would just ruin my financially and my credit and not a cent of taxes would be paid ultimately.
this i know would make any loan be 10x harder to get, but i wouldn't want to take out a $20k loan to pay off my taxes either

what's your income, age, and career?

$1,000,000,000,000/18/computer programmer

Real Estate
$190k a year in a low cost of living state

...I spend at least 10-15 hours per week on my education and personal development. I have zero hobbies and pay poor people to do poor people work so I don't have to waste my valuable time on it.

>Real Estate
this is why I don't support real estate companies

>Real Estate
is that not just land and buildings on it, not a job? i have access to the state's MLS database, i'm poor as hell though, can't even afford to buy a car.

I suggested earlier getting a ~2004 Crown Victoria. That was my first car and it cost me $2800 cash. Took me a lot of hard work to get that money as I was raised in poverty and had to work my ass off to get anywhere other than a meth house.

Anyway, the Crown Victorias are very reliable cars and get decent fuel economy at 25 MPG. If there ever were an issue with the car (there are a couple small problem areas) parts are so damn cheap and so plentiful that you will never have a hard time finding cheap replacement parts. My 2003 Crown Victoria blew a coolant hose coming out of the manifold, but it was thankfully very cheap and easy to replace. Hell, I even drove around for like 15,000 miles just having it JB welded together haha.

The amount of service life law enforcement agencies have got out of the car really speaks for itself. I just wouldn't recommending getting a used patrol car since they are abused as hell. My old Crown Victoria was a US Marshal vehicle so it was just driven around the country hauling inmates around.

>you have to
or what? prison?

We don't fucking care what you support. Only poorfags and retards say shit like this. Real estate requires an incredible education to pull off successfully, especially when you do development like I do. And people love great developments and like to act all fucking smug when I mention I'm a developer...They shut their stupid mouths when they see my Porsche, my Rolexes, and my tailored suits, while they slave away making $45k a year at some shit Walmart-tier job and spend all of their time "saving" money working on cars or searching for deals on Craigslist and eBay.

I wish we had a caste system. I really shouldn't have to deal with poor people at my level.

By 30 I'll be making over $380k a year.

Yes, people go to prison for tax evasion all the time. Though usually it's from some kind of large scale operation. Otherwise they'll just garnish your wages which would fucking blow.

I'm a developer. With a college education. I'm not a real estate agent if that's what your thinking.

Even still, great agents can make $500k a year. Just be the best at what you want to do. Learn to sell.

Great property managers can also make bank. The problem most people have is they do the bare minimum and spend all their time on frivolous bullshit trying to "save" their way to riches. You have to invest in yourself heavily and that takes time. Time you won't have for wrenching on shitboxes or watching football 24/7 like most of my idiot friends do who are all dirt poor.

>i found a crown vic 2004 30 miles away with
240,000 miles
is that too many?? if it drives would that mean it's ok, since parts are cheap to replace

For how much money? Unless it's had a lot of replacements already done, I'd steer clear of any car with 240,000 miles on it. My 2003 CVPI (Crown Victoria Police Interceptor) had I think 123,000 miles on it when I bought it for $2800, and that was back in I think 2012 or 2011.

240,000 miles is a lot of miles for a gasoline engine if things are still original and not replaced/repaired already. But if the car is super duper cheap, then just buy it and run it into the ground without worrying about it.

yes, well since my employer should have done something like that, wouldn't they get in trouble? or both of us? i'm not the one that has money. that's fucked though, my plan is to just try to get a new job and pretend like i lived off my parents till i was 25. this has been going on 3.5 years so, i could get away with it if i keep it 5 or under i think. no state income tax so it's just the feds and i'm extremely poor and have no assets

>find a '91 crown vic that has a great paint job, completely intact trim, and an almost immaculate interior
>sounds nice, but leaked like a motherfucker and had the power of a 3-cylinder shitbox despite being a 5.0

I'm honestly not surprised. Stupid fucking people will do shit like rent apartments forever because they're scared of loans.

The fuck do people do this? Flyover state here, but at least I own a house for $750 a month while I know several friends paying $1100 for less space in a fucking duplex.

Lmao, wtf do you do for a living that you just tell people how much you work? You need to find out who handles the time and talk to them. Im pretty sure you dont make enough to pay income taxes when you file. You been missing out refunds, m8.

Also, wtf are you spending all your fucking money on? You must not be getting a full 40 hours a week. I paid 475/month for my car with a $800 rent bill and still was able to save month.

Get your shit together, m8.

OP here

are any of these good deals?? the miles on the civic aren't listed i would have to text or email them

2002 nissan ultima (156,000 miles)
$2,200

04 Honda Civic (??? miles, i have to message)
$2,500

2005 Saturn Vue (100,000 miles)
$2,500

how can you get that job with $0?

yeah it was $1800 but it's way too many, what bout: i just lost mone

Yeah the whole idea of being terrified of debt is silly. Debt is how you built equity and a life for yourself. Look at corporations for example. They expand constantly, and they take on debt to do so.

As a super abstract example, look at any business management computer game, such as Offworld Trading Company. Without debt it's almost impossible to function.

>I got my shit pushed in buying a used car so I am going to buy another used car.

Take $2k to the nearest ford dealer and put $2k on a used Fiesta. Many dealers will even give you a few bucks for you 3000 pound paper wight. You can easily get a newish, lowish mileage car for $150/month.

i told you, it's on the computer. we just clock into the program, and my job consists of me sitting in a chair pressing the buttons on the keyboard. a lot of the time i'm on my phone, or just doing whatever because i'm waiting on someone else or there just isn't much to do.

>Im pretty sure you dont make enough to pay income taxes when you file. You been missing out refunds, m8.
nah, i've been making $16-18 per hour. and my friend made $14 and works in the same town and payed taxes at a net loss, the refund was only a % of the taxes taken out. ultimately i would have to pay a few months worth. since i haven't for years. i would literally owe the government as much money as i would make working full time until the end of the year. i'd have to pay them about that much based on the online tax bracket calculators