Theoretically...

Theoretically, how difficult would it be to get a car that has been sitting outside for 20 years running and driving again?

My Dad has had a 1982 Volkswagen Rabbit sitting at his best friends house since 1995(?). His friend's a bit of a car hoarder so he has three or four other Rabbits around to scrounge from.

I'm not planning on daily this thing or anything I just want to fuck around and scratch my 80's shitbox hatchback itch.

I'm mechanically capable so i'm not afraid of a little work, but would this be too much time and money for a bit of shitbox shenanigans?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XXUcwwfNv8U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Lotsa time and lotsa money. Everything rubber will need to be replaced (hoses, clamps). Most of the internal metal shit is more than likely rusted to hell (tranny, gears, etc).

Damn, that's what I was afraid of.

Realistically, how long can a car sit before it's too far gone?

You'll have to also change all of the fluids and probably be prepared to fix rust spots. Also be prepared to tackle some electrical issues. I have a '78 Cadillac Eldorado that I'm currently tinkering with.

Fluids are no problem, don't give a shit about rust or electrical. The car is still regestered in my dad's name so I could buy insurance, slap plates on it and drive it tomorrow if I could get it to move under it's own power.

I literally only want to see if I can get the thing running/driving.

Is it too much effort for a lark?

Anything exposed to the seasons/bad weather without being moved can be fucked in just a few years. For longevity, always park it in a storage unit or garage.

Fucked as in seized or just until repairing it becomes a massive pain in the ass?

Replacing rubber, fuel lines, gaskets, gas tank + maybe replacing engine parts is difficult but not impossible for a hypothetically car you're passionate about (which i'm obviously not about this one)

* hypothetical

Fuck

If you aren't passionate about it, I'd suggest moving on. Don't waste your time on a car you don't like. It'll just end up being a chore for which you'll waste money on.

Thanks m8, it was a half baked idea anyway.

Figured i'd ask for advice so i understood the implications before jumping headfirst into something stupid

all early vws are very easy to work on and these early golfs are getting harder and harder to get. I bet it just needs some tlc if not sell it to me lol

Just buy a running model, it'll be cheaper than getting some rotting heap road worthy again.

15 minutes to 15 days. Really just depends.

Source: Do it on a regular basis.

First, check if the drivetrain is free by putting it in 4th or 5th and pushing. It should move slightly.
To check if engine is free use a long breaker bar on the crank pulley.
Jack it up if the clutch pedal is soft.

AT Fuid and Acetone. Go two days beforehand and squirt some on every single nut or bolt you see.
Remove glow plugs or spark plugs and squirt some into the hole so it falls on the piston and frees it up/lubricates.

Take 12v fuel pump with you to bypass the fuel tank. And a fresh battery.

If its a diesel getting it running will be easier than a benzin. You only need to short two wires (starter and pump solenoid)

Getting it running is not actually that difficult.
You will need to change to oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter to get it running.

Remove the oil sump and check the oil pump, and clean/replace thermostat and radiator before driving/running it for more than a few seconds.

Expect to replace fuel tank and rebuild brakes, replace all fluids, suspension parts, tires, brakes etc.

Just give it a try m8. If it starts becoming too much, just stop. No biggie

Just buy lots of starter fluid

My girlfriend wants to try and get an old plymouth sundance thats been sitting for half a year running so I'll be playing this game soon too

You could probably get the thing started by hooking up a battery, new plugs and fiddling with the timing a little bit. If that doesn't work then new fuel pump and that would at least get the engine to start, could rake around 2 hours. Further to that the clutch might be fucked, but if it isn't the thing should move, there are plenty of cases of people starting up old barn finds within a few hours, a search on youtube will show you hundreds of 'first start after XX years'

youtube.com/watch?v=XXUcwwfNv8U

Obviously after that you probably want to replace all of the rubber in the engine and suspension and possibly new springs.

the main issue is rust on the chassis really as getting that fixed and painted is a pain in the ass.

honestly golf parts are cheap and this sounds like a fun resoration project, so go for it.

>sitting for half a year
So just a fresh battery?

It was kind of a pile of shit before it sat so it pry needs other stuff.

>Most of the internal metal shit is more than likely rusted to hell (tranny, gears, etc).
total fucking falsehood, senpai.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt it has anything mechanically wrong from it due to age or where it was stored. If my '72 240Z could start up no problem after being stored outside for 15 years, I have great hope that this rabbit will run fine.

OP, why was the car parked?

I'm thinking fluids (oil, coolant, fuel, trans gear oil, etc), rubber (vacuum lines, fuel lines, radiator lines, gas cap, valve cover gasket, etc), filters (air filter, fuel filter, etc) and general tune up bits (plugs, wires, cap and rotor, etc)

Change all your fluids except your oil. Before you change your oil, take all the spark plugs out and pour a little bit (a few table spoons) of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder. Take the valve cover off, and pour marvel mystery oil on everything that moves. Let it sit there a little bit, like an hour or so. Then, turn the engine over with a breaker bar and socket. Give it a few revolutions, and change the oil. Continue on your way, add fresh fuel, and give it a try.

The car was parked because my Dad bought a new Jetta back in 1995. No other reason, he just upgraded.

should be easy as shit to get running then. Make sure the engine spins freely, and do what I wrote: should be good to go nigga

>Theoretically, how difficult would it be to get a car that has been sitting outside for 20 years running and driving again?

Depends on lots of things.
I got a Dodge Caravan that hadn't run since 1998 running in an afternoon.
Now that van had been sitting in the southern California desert.
I've spent the last year periodically fixing little nuisances of neglected age. A belt here. Hose there. etc.

My best advice would be to check it over to see how bad the rubber parts are.
Take a battery and some gas, you get a surprise and it may start.