Is a motorcycle safer if you don't get hit? You know, with it having nearly perfect visibility and all

Is a motorcycle safer if you don't get hit? You know, with it having nearly perfect visibility and all..

I'm trying to pitch letting me buy one to my parents

What?

I'm not sure how you can reason that into being an argument

Just wait until you move out.

no because you'll end up with all the other crotchrocket cocksuckers weaving traffic and lane splitting at double the limit then cry nobody watches for you in cars

Motorcycles are dangerous and your parents know that. Mistakes happen on the road, even for experienced drivers. You can be driving perfectly and still get into an accident because of someone else. Nearly everyone gets into an accident of some kind if you've been driving long enough. In a car it usually does not cause injury, and on a bike it usually involves disfigurement/death.

>Is a motorcycle safer if you don't get hit?
No. Motorcycle riders, on average, get about 7-8 times as much injuries as a car driver per million miles traveled. Fatalities are much worse, motorcyclists are 30+ times as likely to die in an accident. You can mitigate this risk by:
>Not being old (old people on big bikes equals more accidents and more damage in said accidents)
>Not drinking on your bike
>Not speeding
>Not riding a supersport, which are really tempting to speed on (4x higher fatality rate compared to regular motorcycles)
>Wearing a helmet
>Wearing your gear (ATGATT)
>Taking a proper training course (MSF in the US)
>Antilock Brakes (ABS)

>I'm trying to pitch letting me buy one to my parents
Don't. Motorcycling is inherently dangerous, even if you are a perfect rider it takes a single distracted Stacy in a minivan to kill you. Unless you are an adult living in your home who can consciously make a rational decision about this (without involving your parents), stick to four wheels.

t. motorcyclist.

my slightly biased view after daily commuting a motorcycle for 3-4 months:

it's both more dangerous and slightly more safe. Here's why.

more safe because:
>larger field of view
>more room to manuever because of lane splitting. you essentially have 2 extra escape routes.
>safe spots: riding in between two small cars traveling at the same speed, for example is a safe spot because they won't merge left or right and you're protected from rear enders.
>nimbleness. You can accelerate out of danger zones or away from traffic in general. Even a ninja 300 at 3/4 throttle will destroy any car which doesn't WOT (full throttle is a different story). Need to be smart with this one though, because speed can fuck you up as well.

on the flipside:
>danger spots: being the only vehicle stopped at a single left turn lane at an intersection with heavy traffic coming from behind. No buffer behind you, no safe zone to go to. filtering medium/low-speed traffic is always slightly risky because commiefornia shiboxes randomly quickly merge with no signal. Riding next to semis or large trucks is always scary because their wheels can suck you underneath them or explode or some other crazy shit. Driving down two lane stretch of road is scarier than city intersections because bumfuck old faggots make blind left turns across your lane to fuck your shit up (most common fatal accident, i think).

Be cautious, know the consequences of your actions and you'll be fine. Country riding always seemed scarier to me than urban riding. Long stretches of roads with hicks turning into backroads equals deadly collision, as opposed to being thrown over the hood of some coffee-slurping urbanite (probably wont kill you). Highways are more predictable but potentially deadlier.

>Is riding a motorcycle safer (in terms of accidents per mile traveled) because you have perfect vision etc., despite having more fatalities per mile?
That's probably what he meant.

>Crotchrockets
Not everybody rides those and not all of those riders are idiots (A lot of them are though)
>Lane splitting
Perfectly legal in most sane countries, perfectly safe if done under 20MPH and with less than 10MPH speed difference.
>Double the limit
Those guys deserve to Darwin themselves.

>In a car it usually does not cause injury, and on a bike it usually involves disfigurement/death.
Disfigurement and death is a small fraction of actual bike accidents, especially if you wear proper gear. However, the risk is indeed a lot higher than with cars, and it's significant enough to not want to ride.

>>safe spots: riding in between two small cars traveling at the same speed, for example is a safe spot because they won't merge left or right
Dear god don't ever do this. Never get yourself stuck between two cars with no way to go left or right.

> filtering medium/low-speed traffic is always slightly risky
Which means you should only do filtering at speeds below 20MPH, tops.

>motorcycles are safer because there's no safety equipment blocking your vision
leftism is a mental illness

>being this cucked
just make your parents buy it. my parents buy everything fur me and they pay my bills. i get to pocket all the cash from my job 2. life is sweet famalam
*republicanism

furgot my name

high viz uncle detected

I ride between cars at medium speed all the time because I have a sufficiently loud exhaust, and the lanes are comfortably wide, so I consider it a safe spot. I don't do it for long periods of time but I like it better than riding next to a single car because he won't see me. But he will see another car.

>20 mph

have you never been to California? You will hold up the filter lane doing that, making a lot of bikers behind you annoyed.

dumb /pol/tard

Riding between cars is a death sentence here in Europe: never count on other people to keep you safe, never count on them to see another car.

Never been to California, I presume your roads are much wider with more space in the lanes?

twin snakes was shit tier

you're shit tier, bitch. stfu

im having to think about this really hard

your a smaller target and you are far more aware of your surroundings and can also maneuver away from danger quicker.

but your less visible to boomers in their suvs and when you do get hit its 10 times worse.

i guess it depends on the bike and how aware you are as a person.

People in Europe have infinitely better lane discipline and it's still a death sentence.

You don't need to think, statitics say that motorcycle riders get more accidents and die more.

while I don't know where you are from, I'm pretty positive the average road in Merrylard land is gonna be wider and more spacious than the average road in historic 2000 year old city planning Yurop.

Are you afraid of being pinched between two cars? I have good faith in the drivers here in San Diego, at least in the mornings where everyone's hyped up on coffee.

I'm not just talking about city roads (those are generally single lane here), but also about highways.

Yes, I'm afraid of being pinched between cars. I'm paranoid of car drivers, period.
When I was sixteen, riding on my 50cc scooter, I got hit by a car (woman driver, of course) who didn't check her mirrors before taking a right turn. That one taught me to wear gear. Second accident I got T-boned on an intersection by somebody who ran a red light, thankfully at low speed. That one taught me to slow down for intersections even if you've got a green light. I don't want any more lessons like that, they both hurt, and now I ride as defensive as I can. Faith is for God, everyone else is a potential accident waiting to happen for me.

>give two vehicles to the same population, one vehicle demands extreme concentration and awareness at all times, a high understanding of technique and road conditions, and massive acceleration, and one vehicle which is pretty much the Fisher Price of operable vehicles and even retards can operate it.
>be surprised that one population suffers more accidents than the other

it's simple. git gud, or die tryan.

You're less likely to get in an accident but when you do you're MUCH more likely to be fucked

most people die tryan

underage faggots like OP are always protected on Veeky Forums

you don't filter unless traffic is stopped or moving extremely slowly

Kill yourself my man

Nobody cares faglord

I mean kind of, but you shouldn't trust other drivers

Easier to not get hit.
> Smaller
> Better visibility
> Slip through traffic to use it as a shield
> Wearing full body armour

> Parents letting you do things
You have to be 18 to post here.

>furgot my name
Filtered your name.

do what I did just buy it anyways. either they let you keep it or tell you to move out in which case you don't need that kind of thinking holding you back from what YOU want to do.

>Is Burger King healthier if I don't eat it?

aren't most biker accidents due to the biker fucking up on their own anyway? so better visibility doesn't matter in that case