I just got a 95 SHO after being without a car for months. Did I make a good choice?

I just got a 95 SHO after being without a car for months. Did I make a good choice?

Yikes. Probably not. Incoming failures with from everything but the engine itself.

What if it was well maintained? It has some nice power.

Take care of it, do preventative maintenance and it will last you a while. Also they take really well to mods

Yes and no. It was the 'sporty' Taurus, if you can call a FWD family sedan in any configuration sporty. Has some badass Yamaha V6 so if you're looking for that crypto-JDM power this is your ride. The caveat is I've only seen one of these in public that wasn't totally thrashed since people drove the piss out of these since they were the 'fast' Taurus. The Taurus IS a nice looking car and the SHO was the handsomest of this series Taurus IMO so if its well kept I'd say it'd be a good pick.

Any car that's pushing 25 years old is going to take extra maintenance, not because it's a bad car but because it's an old car. If the major systems were taken care of it won't be as bad, but things wear out over time.
That being said, for a near classic age car you definitely could have done worse. Taurus parts are still fairly cheap and plentiful. Just take care of that bespoke Yamaha engine, cause that'll break the bank when it shits out.

Nope.
Incoming transmission problems (because it was never meant to take that much power) and general old car issues.
And OBDI. Fun.

>Not preferring OBDI to OBDII
It's so much less complicated and a lot fewer things to go wrong.

OP here. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

If it's in good shape and manual, yes. If it's beat to shit and/or auto, it's trash.

SHO only came auto. Still an iconic sleeper though. I fuck with it

I'm not sure for the 1995 model, but SHO definitly came in manual, I had a 1992 and it was 5 speed.

Wrong the first ones where manuals with a 3.0 V6.
I know it from the smelly Jewish Furry guy.

WRONG

only the bubble SHO and the modern one are auto only

Scrap it.

Auto or stick?

Nice, I have a 92 mtx, shes rough and needs work still not sure what to do with her, thinking of letting it go for something else fun.

One of my college buddies had a mk I SHO. It wasn't much for handling but it was great for long highway pulls.

My 95 3.2 slushbox has 250k on it, and still runs like a raped ape.

Eh, it's not bad. Taurus's are pretty underrated anyways. Just don't be like most dumb fucks on the road who never take care of the damn thing, keep up with the maintenance you'll be fine.

>1995 is old

Fuck you

The used car market is too fucked for 90s cars to be unusable now

Good job trip guy

1995 is two years away from classic plates.
That car is older than most people who post on Veeky Forums.
Deal with it.

>The Taurus IS a nice looking car

They're pretty maintenance-intensive really. I mean things like rod bearings are 60K maintenance items and ignoring valvetrain maintenance quickly gets expensive due to the rapid increase in wear.

As previously noted transmissions are a problem since the AXOD was a pile of shit to begin with and more powah doesn't help. The manuals are nightmares of shitty linkages and absurdly fragile differentials. On top of that the rpm likes to kill alternators, p/s pumps, and compressors.

But when it's running good, blasting through the gears on a good road makes it almost worthwhile.

The Taurus is known to just literally break apart.
>Battery leaks
>Glued interior.
>Temperature knobs.
>Wiring
This.