So why should I pay $1k+ for a genuine tarbo when I could just buy a clone off ebay for $200...

So why should I pay $1k+ for a genuine tarbo when I could just buy a clone off ebay for $200? I’ve watched plenty of yootoob guys boost the living fuck out of their shitboxes with ebay chinkshit and they’re doing just fine.

Other urls found in this thread:

midwestturboconnection.com/product-p/turbo_balancing.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

probably arent doing just fine in the long run

They know what they are doing and have skills and shit to make things work.

yeah but even if it does fail it’s not going to wreck my whole shit right? i don’t mind replacing the compressor wheel a couple times or something

>it's not going to wreck my whole shit r-right..?
>metal shards from turbo fly in to intake and destroy piston heads
>turbo barring fails after 5k miles
>turbo has overspeeding and over time losses it's boost beacuse its poorly put together
Ebay turboing is all fun and games on little shit boxes, but you really do get what you pay for up to a certain point

oh yeah m8

pieces of compressor going through your intake

shit ain't healthy

one word, quality.

well ebay turbos are shit but once you get to about the 400-500 range you can get quality turbos, the way to do it is buy one then take it apart and send it to a company for $55 dollars and get it balanced after that it will fine and a reliable turbo id recommend cx racing turbos. Only thing you really get from 1k+ turbos are the great fucking warranties and the peace of mind knowing your shit wont destroy itself under boost. In the end it all depends on the car youre doing it to if its not your dd go cheaper route but seeing as youre asking the question i think you need to take time and really research forced induction before going into it ignorant.
midwestturboconnection.com/product-p/turbo_balancing.htm

I figured they’d get caught in something less expensive before they made it to the pistons

a poorfag can dream i guess

I guess the realistic logic here is that if you can't afford to do it at least half-proper, you can't afford to have your transport off the road for any appreciable time if you were to say lose an engine.

yeah definitely not

I figured I wouldn’t be making massive amounts of horsepower, only 300 or so because I don’t want to upgrade the internals just yet

I'm with you there.
To get a decent turbski setup on my mx5 in NZ it's not terribly cheap, even if I go 2nd hand jew. I'll be spending the initial cost of my car on it for 100hp lol.

>compressor blades disintegrate because pot metal can't handle 200k rpm or any kind of boost pressure
>shards go into your engine
>become embedded in pistons/valves/score the bore into an abstract art piece
>engine is kill

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong...

for a car with an aftermarket like that I would have thought a big turbo would be relatively cheap

I live in NZ - I pretty much have to import anything of merit for the build. Anything that can be purchased here pretty much breaks even with import part + currency conversion + shipping + import taxes.

The gamble, I build turbos for a living and I've rebuilt plenty of chinese turbos, some of them are awesome, some have swarf stuck in the thrust bearing and were operating on a timer. We've used heaps of them though on fit ups where people don't want to spend genuine, generally they work ok just be careful you don't buy a shitter and buy from a major clone company.

what’s an example of a major clone company? plus how can i tell if it’ll hold up or if it’s a time bomb?
oh right, i forget there’s no fun allowed in NZ

JP turbo, Kinugawa.
See if theres any general commentry online about the company you're looking at, ebay feedback etc.

Boostedboiz has never had a turbo fail on them, in fact the only major failure they had was a result of no engine oil

I’ll check those out then

Is there anything physical I should look for if I buy one? probably a good idea to take a look inside a semi-sketchy part before I hook it up

kek, this is literally who i had in mind

sketchy ebay parts in every build, a minivan boosted over 700 hp and the only thing that ever seems to break is gears

what if we put a metal screen in the intake to catch the impeller every time it explodes

If you're going to strip it down and check it out, make sure you mark everything in the rotating assembly for alignment, the cores are generally VSR'd and misalignment can lead to bad balance. So compressor wheel, nut, thrust collars and washers all need to be marked and re-aligned. Externally there won't be a lot to tell, maybe check the wastegate arm isn't kinked like a dogs leg out of the can, helps if it's an MFS wheel generally too.

that sounds like something i shouldn’t fuck around with then
would unironically consider doing this

On3/VSR 78/75 is a fucking beast

that’s a garrett lad

Most of them are either Garrett or Mitsubishi clones.

If cheap chink shit turbos were sufficient and the end all be all, companies like Borg Warner and Garrett wouldn't still be in business making turbos. Cheap bastards like you OP never think about shit like that. You most often get what you pay for

oh i thought you were talking about the op pic

Borg Warner doesn't make any turbos, it just bought KKK and Schwitzer, dun worry within 10 years the Garrett name will disappear too as Honeywell is slowly branding them out.
The logo has slowly been shrinking Garrett and growing Honeywell, this year the Honeywell portion is about 3x the size of the Garrett portion.

Gibson’s been selling overpriced trash for decades and they made it this far

Kyle did replace the turbo on his wagon once since it had been leaking oil really badly, but then again he's had to build the engine 3 different times I believe. That car is cursed.

>t. hasn't had an ebay turbo explode and send shards of impeller into your intercooler

live and learn

I ran a cheap chink turbo on an RB20DET. Started boosting around 4000rpm and probably made around 350whp. It worked, but I wouldn't cheap out on a turbo again.

The "genuine turbo" is just from the brandname roasties that claim that other turbos are unsafe because they are not tested and developed for long lasting durability. They be mad as fuck just because some dude is machining copies for cheaper and unwasted R&D.

They've inspired me to build a shit craigslist civic.

No dude is machining turbos my man, it's all casting and cnc and every copy comes out of China, some are good, some are trash but it's always funny when some poor cunt comes into work with a failed Chinese turbo and no money.

*fucks your engine*
nothin personnel, kid