Biz, I have been frugal as fuck for my whole life and I am getting an itch. I want to buy a new car

Biz, I have been frugal as fuck for my whole life and I am getting an itch. I want to buy a new car.

Not because I need one, I currently drive a modern hybrid that is economical. The reason is because I can't stop thinking about driving something more fun. At night I go to sleep thinking about cars. I was somewhat a car enthusiast in the past, and in general I just really love cars.

I need some reassurance that it is justifiable to buy a new car. Or how much should I be spending on my next car?

Thinking about getting a new WRX that is around 30k. My alternative is a used WRX, A4 or 3-series, some of which I could get in the low 20s or teens. Still working out exactly what I want but it is so hard to justify spending 30k, or even a cheaper car that will have higher MPG or repair bills.

My financial situation is:
>110k salary + 10k - 30k bonus
>200k liquidish
>350k in home equity
>some money in retirement account, i'm young so not a whole lot

The kicker is that my wife has 4 years of med school + residency starting fall. I want to buy something now before she starts, but could totally buy something more expensive in 6+ years from now.

its your life, not mine. do whatever you like user

Just looking for some validation with Veeky Forums-minded anons,

This copypasta wasn't funny the first time you posted it and it's still not funny

Veeky Forums is full of newfriends and dumb neets, so you'll get plenty of (you)s

If you got enough for yourself, indulge. If you can't pay in cash you don't have enough.

30k for a car, a depreciating asset?

Man I'd just find a cheaper hobby. I could be making 300k a year and I'd still scoff at that idea.

Honestly you could afford it but you need to start focusing on the retirement account while your young. Compound interest is a hell of a thing.

I'm biased because I see vehicles as a tool to get from point A to B, but I know not everyone feels that way. 20-30k is just a lot of money for "fun" that I think would wear off sooner than you think. I'd rather take an extravagant extended vacation.

It's your money though.

You've got enough assets to buy one and it only be a small % of your total $. Do it.

A classic car you admired from back in the day might hold its value better.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself. You dont want to buy somthing fun to drive, you want to RENT it and get it out of your system. A super sports car is fun until one small little thing breaks and on top of that you have to go to a special shop to constantly fix it/maintain it. You want the min wage fags at midas touch fucking with your lambo? If you gotta buy a sports car go with the audi spyder, its not too tooo profile but it seems very fun. Or just buy a manual if your used to auto the new experience will be fun. Or paint your shit car a funner florecent color

I know what you mean. That is why I have been driving this econobox for so long. The problem is I want something that is fun, just to feel happy every time I get in the car.

I don't need something that pricey, but that is my upper limit. Most importantly I want to drive something that isn't a FWD hybrid CVT. So basically any manual AWD or RWD car that isn't hideous will make me happy.

I'm also worried about the cost of driving something that costs more to repair. Also no guarantee that the car I get will maintain its value, that is somewhat speculation unless you are knowledgeable.

Makes sense what you are saying about the exotics, however i'm not in the position for that at the moment but hopefully in the future. Right now just want something fun that is manual.

Lease a sportcar for 1-2 month, then make your choice

brain's are wired to want what we don't have,one you have driven a high end car for a couple month's you probably won't feel the urge to buy one (i leased a porshe 911 for 3 months and then decided to keep driving my toyota)

>my wife has 4 years of med school + residency

She will divorce you either during her 3rd year of med school or (if you're a bit "lucky") during her 1st year of residency.

I'd start putting some money away if I were you...

Just get an audi A8 manual you thank me. Everyone assumed you wanted a sports car becaus of the picture. But Audis are awsome they are the perfect combo of luxury and sporty.

Tou can pretend your jason stathem on a secret mission everytime you drive it, if thats not fun i dont know what is

Yeah, bad pic on my part. In my post I mentioned WRX or A4. I like the combo of luxury an sportyness that Audi has but I am slightly concerned about their maintenance / reliability.

I almost ommited that part because of comments like these. We have a healthy relationship and have been together for a very long time and have a child.

My first car was a WRX, so it's not like I simply want something I don't have. I just want a sedan that is fun to drive. Still, I understand your point as I have have thoughts about getting something very sporty like that.

desu i know that feel

except i want the 488 spider by ferrari

500k for a car....would probably want to lease it.

thinking more rationally, can your family unit be better off with the additional vehicle (assuming you keep your current). sounds like your financial situation won't take a major hit especially if you get it used.

>Not having a backup Euro or Singapore bank for when shit hits the fan
I shiggidigy
diggity
hope you guys
diggity

I feel like this should have its own thread

I don't know if I could ever justify a 500k car when there are so many amazing cars in the 150k range. However, if I had enough money then maybe I would.

For my situation, thinking about getting something with AWD so that we have an actual snow car. Thats why I'm looking at the WRX or A4, and we could always sell one of our current cars too.

MX5, Ask Veeky Forums and thanks me later.

MX5 is a pretty fucking homo car.

If your bonus can be up to 30k just think of that as getting a free car instead of a bonus.

If you are American, which I assume you are when you talk about MPG, then aren't mustangs/chargers/challengers etc cheap as fuck over there?

Also, fuck this guy.

People buy boats all the time that are just as if not more expensive than cars and use it 1/100th as often.

Cars CAN be fun and realistically 30k is not that much. Like I said that's your fucking bonus apparently.

I'd actually go for the BRZ if I wanted a car of that class (haven't drove one).

Yes I am in murica. I'm ok with the mustang but I really need a four door car since I have a family. One of our cars is actually a Mustang and it gets tiring but the kid in the back seat.

Good point about the bonus, however after taxes it probably brings it closer to 20k, If I were to get the full bonus. I guess I am trying to figure out if I should get something used for 20k, or something new (er) for 30k range.

If you REALLY want something, you should get it however do that in a smart way. I'm frugal as fuck and don't even much money however I bought myself a Rolex because I always wanted a nice watch, and wearing it makes me happy so I went for it. Got it pre-owned and it has gained 10% in value in the past 2 years. I understand there's a very slim chance to buy a car that won't end up being a liability however you should still try to make less painful for your wallet. Don't buy new, look for something that will jew you out of your shekels the least yet still make you happy.

>MX5 is a pretty fucking homo car

If homo means fun to drive, then I agree 100%

Otherwise who gives a shit about other people's perception of you.

>who gives a shit about other people's perception of you.
Literally everyone

Human society is built upon this

You drive a gay car

Probably shouldn't being blowing cash on stuff you don't need fi you have a kid and a mustang.
Thats just my opinion

Your opinion is worthless.

I can understand where you're coming from OP. I'm in the same position where I manage my money well and make close to six figures as a youngun. If I was you, I'd look into used off-year sports cars. I reckon you can get some pretty nice ones for $20k if you look around.

Source: family friend bought an off year Ferrari on Ebay for $50k.

It's your life, so its whatever, but unless:
> You have zero debt (including mortgage)
> You maxed out your Roth and are meeting your companies match
> Your wife can cash flow med school
> You have 6 months of expenses
If you don't have all that your a retard. I didn't read all you said, I skimmed, but that's how it is.
You can't enjoy the car if the weather's bad, storage is a fucking hassle unless you own an airplane hanger, thing break I'm Lamborghini's same as any other car - and it's more expensive, the car is a liability - not an asset. Do not delude yourself as to the last point.

Again, do whatever the fuck you want. The more you fuckers spend the better our economy is.

Buy a used high powered sports car like the corvette or something and work on it yourself

Cheap and a lot of fun

>new WRX that is around 30k. My alternative is a used WRX, A4 or 3-series, some of which I could get in the low 20s or teens.
Are you all retarded or does Veeky Forums just have no car people?

You can pick up a 15/20 year old 328i or WRX STI for next to nothing if you just want a fun car. What makes you faggots think a brand new car is going to be more fun? In an older car you can drive it like you stole it 100% of the time because if you drive it into a wall then who gives a shit you only lost like 2 grand.