Is it normal for a mechanic to charge a diagnosis fee?

Is it normal for a mechanic to charge a diagnosis fee?

I took my SUV in for a small electrical fix that ended up costing $200 (1 hour labor, $60 part + "shop supplies" and tax). But I also got charged $130 for a "diagnosis" they claim took 1 hour.

Was a bit taken back at the $330 bill for a relatively simple fix but paid regardless.

Yeah but they don't charge you for it if you let them fix it
You got fukt

I see.

The owner was pretty rude when I questioned him on it. Stating that the issue couldn't have possibly taken that long to find when I came in saying I suspected it was that very part needing to be replaced. He got really defensive and said he wasn't a charity and basically told me I had no option but to pay.

He even called out to his 2 mechanics in the back and said "Are you hearing this guy? I can't believe it.". And they all came out to look at me and listen to our conversation for some reason. So I just let them win, it wasn't worth it.

They did a decent job but I had to retape the wires because it was already peeling. I have my doubts it was more than 30 minutes of actual labor for the installation as well.

Freedom

>Is it normal for a mechanic to charge a diagnosis fee?
Highly abnormal. When a mechanic is using his time, skill, and experience to find out what is wrong with your car (because you cannot) he should not be getting paid. He should only be paid to do the simple task of changing a part.

>letting anyone else touch your vehicle

yikes

Yeah. I guess it just didn't sit right with me because I already knew the issue going in, the shop times didn't seem right and the owner was rude when I questioned it.

I have no issues with this. Mechanics are on the same tier as car dealers. They have no soul, I'm not even sure if they are human. They only exist to be greedy fucks who rip you off.

I've only had one issue with a mechanic that off-sourced the issue to his 'local sparky'. Something fucky was going on with my brakelights coming on instead of the parklight circuit, indicators would cut all current to brakelights. I'm no whizz, so I left it to them.

>They replaced front H4's because 'They were cheap and became detached'
>Replaced 2 relays in the relay box
>Changed all rear lights
>Replaced alternator +ve
>2 hours diagnosis and labor

Now, the relays and the diagnosis I can understand, because it was a strange issue, but replacing all my lamps (and the H4's, which were only shown to me after I asked for the old, were not my old ones as I had bought Narva, no chinko tommy christmas lights inc lamps) and the alternator lead taking 2 hours? There was no wiring changed other than the alternator lead so where did the 2 hours come from?

I ended up confronting the sparky and the initial mechanic, asking wtf was going on and to explain it in detail or I'd not pay the $580 and they can take me to court for it. They threatened court action and I said that's fine. I'm still waiting for the summons, 5 years later.
Scumbag fucks didn't replace anything they said they did aside from the relays, they only cleaned the alternator cable.

Yep, shops are a ripoff. I worked as a panel welder in one for 7 years. They paid me $26/hour and charged customers $130/hour + bullshit extra charges for my work. The owner would pocket over half after all expenses and such.

After 4 years of not giving me any sort of raise despite being the best there, I left and started my own small business just doing welding by myself in a double bay garage, mainly focusing on classics, antiques and custom bikes. Though I do a fair bit of rust repair and modifications on new vehicles. Now I work my own hours and charge a flat $85/hour.

Now I'm stealing all of his clients and business for decades to come. That's what happens when you're cheap.

noice

Bullshit.

Diag time is a fixed cost. It takes time to diagnose a problem. I'd like to kill the service writer who came up with this 'roll it I'm nonsense.

And just because you thought you knew the problem, doesn't make diag faster. The full system/trouble tree needs investigated to confirm.

I once had a mechanic tell my gf the computer was fucked on my ute and that it would cost about $1500 to fix. He then charged $50 for the diagnosis.
Once I got back home from my 4 week mine shift, I had a look and the computer spoke to my laptop fine. Turned out to be a perished gromit where the fuel pump hooks up the line resulting in no fuel pressure.
Dodgy mechanics all need to be gassed desu.

>And just because you thought you knew the problem, doesn't make diag faster

but it does unless you're trying to be a know it all faggot.

>customer comes in
>"hey wrench jocky, change my "
>"ok Mr. Client"
>change part

now either that didn't work and if they come back then you can tell them to sod off as you did what they asked OR you can be a know it all cunt from the get go, probably get it right, but have them NEVER come back for another repair

How do i find a decent mechanics aside asking friends who are mechanics that I barely talk to.

google reviews is pretty good for this. Every shop is going to have a few pissed off client reviews but as long as its like 10 good to 1 bad then its probably a good shop.

Yeah we charge 60 bucks at my shop to bring our specialized tools/use the lift, plus 100 per hour diagnostic labor. We will subtract it from your total though if you have the work done.

Basic visual inspections are free though

Find people who own the same/similar car that you do and ask them where they take it.
If you ask enough people the same one or two shops will come up.

I got no problem rhrowomg on a part for a wanna be mechanic.

But if you want diag, you gotta pay.

>They paid me $26/hour and charged customers $130/hour

you know that money also goes into paying the bills to keep the place running right?

so we are agreed I suppose.

that is still an excessive gap. A journeyman welder should be making $35 to $40 an hour.

I do know because I run my own shop.

I buy all snap-on and keep the shop is really nice shape and make very healthy margins at $85/hour.

I was making $26/hour prior, now I'm clearing $45/hour after all expenses. Not counting any tools and equipment I own. And I have a better insurance plan, nicer equipment and no bs to deal with like unreasonable time limits, requests, hours, etc.

There's also no wasted time, few mistakes and no lack of customers that makes my rates possible.

>$35 to $40 an hour.
sorry dude, no chance without a college degree

Sorta depends. Most of the time "free diagnosis with repair" is predicated on it being roughly an hour of diagnostic time. In your case it sounds like it required pinpoint testing and that goes beyond the usual free diagnosis concept. That said, the shop should have cleared it with you before starting.

>now either that didn't work and if they come back then you can tell them to sod off as you did what they asked
Except they don't sod off. They argue and bitch, generally cause a scene, call the cops, sue, and generally harass the shop until the management gives in and tells the mechanic to fix it. For free. BTDT and not doing it anymore. Customer wants his car fixed I'm diagnosing it myself and if he doesn't agree he can go somewhere else. Keep in mind that for all the bad mechanic stories there are just as many bad customer stories.

>sorry dude, no chance without a college degree

did you not read the part where I said JOURNEYMAN? And you stand a lot better chance getting $35 to $40 in the trades than with some dime a dozen college degree these days (and it doesn't cost $20000)

>Except they don't sod off. They argue and bitch, generally cause a scene, call the cops, sue, and generally harass the shop until the management gives in and tells the mechanic to fix it.

get a restraining order and keep your records for the fix in check. I see no problem, only someone that had a bad experience cause he had no foresight.