What does Veeky Forums think of a Manual CVT concept? You basically have a lever like that in an boat or airplane...

What does Veeky Forums think of a Manual CVT concept? You basically have a lever like that in an boat or airplane, and you can control the pulleys and drive belts yourself.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S7ipFApsFec
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Saab beat you to this retarded shit a long time ago OP.

I don't think so. Did it have a throttle and a lever to infinitely vary ratios? I think this would be immense fun, why be limited to 6 gears in a clunky fashion when you can have a tailored driving experience?

Knowing saab they probably designed a car powered by how many aeroplane noises you could make as well.

That seems neat

No it didn't. It was just an ordinary torque converter autotragic

Years of later work day today and at yesterday we were going on to visit the family of our guys who are the most interesting and interesting ones

I personally like the shitty factor of my 5MT, I can tactility understand what my drivetrain is going through when I fuck with the inputs homie

I think idiots would burn out their transmissions

I'm interested to hear more, but... isn't this how CVT's already work? You already kinda do control the ratio yourself, by stepping on the throttle. Obviously it's not a direct link and you're controlling the revs of the engine as well, but that is essentially what's happening. When you step down hard, the engine revs, and at the same time the computer changes the CVT to a higher ratio for better acceleration, when you let off, the engine revs drop and the CVT switches to a lower ratio.

What would be interesting though is if car manufacturers would actually take full advantage of the CVT instead of using artificially set gears.

>you already kinda do control the ratio yourself, by stepping on the throttle

Well, you are at the mercy of the ECU programming, which is geared towards fuel economy. With a fully manual system, you are in control of how economical or sporty it is, or if you want to engine break on a downhill highway.

Have you fags never modded a scooter?
Just change the rollers to have it as aggressive as you please

>rides a scooter
>thinks everyone else is a fag

I've only driven one CVT (Subaru Liberty), but in regards to it being programmed for economy, I feel like it honestly depends on how you drive (like any automatic transmission), it'll hold onto a higher ratio for longer when you step on it so you get more acceleration.

I hadn't considered engine braking actually (probably cause Australia is very fucking flat), but you can always manually "shift" I guess. The liberty has paddle shifters and I assume most CVTs have a manual mode.

Not bad. Get it to handle 600 ft-lbs of torque and I might consider it.

Not a bad concept. I like it. Attempt to make a prototype off an existing CVT and make the shiting electronic and manually controlled. Patent it amd sell it to a major auto maker

Why the fuck do CVT's have fake gears?

>What would be interesting though is if car manufacturers would actually take full advantage of the CVT instead of using artificially set gears.

They did. The first gen of CVTs were all like that. They were programmed to keep the car in its most powerful RPM range until you reached a steady speed for cruising. But women complained that they didn’t like the sound and refused to buy them and since women have like 75% of the purchasing power in North America (or something like that, GM did the research, someone here should know the actual number), manufacturers all cucked them into being pointless knock offs of regular transmissions starting with the second gen.

True story, a friend of mine test drove a first gem Nissan CVT with his wife and she was literally yelling at him to stop “over revving” the engine while he was driving because the CVT was holding in the power band. He let her drive to show her what it was doing, she immediately declared she hated it, and refused to buy it.

But then you're stuck with that until you change roller weights. What you need is some sort of on the fly variable rollers. I guess since the rollers push against a spring, the spring also affects it just as much as roller weight, so, variable spring preload?

See

americans and soyboys are mentally incapable of driving a car with paddles much less a manual.
what makes you think they will be capable of managing an infinite amount of gears lmao.

you wouldnt be able to put it in any powerful car, the cvt only pushes on a small metal belt and would easily shred if it had any actual power put to it.

Subarus already do that with paddle shifters. Your concept would basically make the pedal pointless, as it does exactly what your lever does.

On a related note how do you make a slow ass CVT, like in a Subaru, faster?

>The first gen of CVTs were all like that.
First gen CVT's = DAF. Not Nisshit.

>On a related note how do you make a slow ass CVT, like in a Subaru, faster?

This I hate how slow it shifts

Is it any better if you use the paddles? I've only test driven one and haven't used the "manual" mode much.

Doesn't a CVT need a clutch? Even if you were able to do this, you'd still need a clutch and imagine having to engage a clutch each time you want to vary the ratio of an Infinite ratio transmission, defeats the purpose of it being infinitely variable doesn't it?

its somthing ive thought about alot but i cant imagine it being very fun to drive, also i imagine it being more like the collective on a helicopter where its a very dampened lever you pull up and down like a handbrake.

the main problem i think is that you will have to be adjusting it constantly which means steering with one hand 100% of the time, and every time you make the tinyest adjustment to your throttle you need to adjust the gear ratio aswell.

it could be a fun thing to play with but it wouldnt be at all usefull.

cvts need focus on fixing their bigger problems like belts slipping / snapping / creating lots of resistance / taking too long to respond / pretending they have gears but they dont.

It only needs a clutch or torque converter when stopping or starting. I imagine "shifting gears" would be like using pic related

true

youtube.com/watch?v=S7ipFApsFec
inb4: wtf am I looking at:
DAF's cvt on reverse worked the same as forward only with 1:1 gearring added to change direction. That meant it could go at max speed backwards. So they raced them...

poor cat

I would imagine the lowest setting is slow enough for it to creep along at idle, like in an automatic

Same, I drive a 2011 Outback and the transmission makes me cry while driving