Alright Veeky Forums, it's Sunday, time for confessions

alright Veeky Forums, it's Sunday, time for confessions

I like Renault.

sometimes i drive when i'm very tired and i'm starting to get afraid i'll kill myself or others on the road.

I hit someone on a bike about 12 years ago. Didn't stop.

I held a rental car at 5000 rpm and neutral dropped it

that is okay

Audi has made some really cool stuff after the original Quattro and I would love to own a B5 S4.
I know I don't have the money, time and space to maintain one though.

i shift my 15 year old saab into neutral and rev it up at stoplights bcuz i like the turbo spool

After driving a modern car with injection, I don't want to go back to farting about with carbs in winter.

I just bought a brand new super boring Chevy Malibu. Financially it was a smart decision and that was the only reason I bought it, I figured I'd hate the car.

I love it. It's fucking loaded, and all the little shit that I thought I would never care about in a car turns out to be really nice to have.

i confess i wanted to mock you for thinking buying a brand-new car is in any way, shape, or form a financially smart decision, and that it had to be an american car too, but then i realized we're all being needlessly mean to each other for no tangible purpose other than making others' lives miserable.

enjoy your malibu, mate, i'm happy for you.

The best car for plain users in terms of practicality are wagons, and in terms of sporty, 2-seat RWDs. Everything in between is shit

i confess i've always been a big fan of wagons but lately i've awoken to the temptations of sporty sedans

i havent changed my oil since November

Only thing you should be apologizing to is your car, not God mate.

I have ZERO interest in sports cars or the culture around them and everyone assumes I do when I mention I like cars.
Not big on modded up lifted trucks either but at least see the point in them for off-roading.

The cars I love and care about are the ones that handle good in real world daily driving and are easy to work on. IE: Ones I actually own.

But seriously though, even if I suddenly became a millionare I doubt I would ever buy a supercar or even a fucking mustang. They just do nothing for me.

How many miles have you driven since November?

I'm deeply in love with pic related
it's a 2,0 TDI also...
halp

Me too user

I stalled a diesel on flat ground

I can't drive if I've fapped or had sex earlier in the day. I get extreme anxiety, my focus goes down, I'm more tired and worst of all, driving isn't fun, just seems like a chore.

I stalled my car this week... I've driving manual for a year straight now.

if i won the lottery i'd probably buy a used skoda superb station wagon

>t. Chevy dealer sellperson.

I have enough savings to buy a shitbox but I keep using either of my parents' cars because I never go anywhere, just to university and even then I busride my way there because "it's cheaper". I'd spend like 150 euros a month on fuel (as opposed to barely over 50 for bus+train) if I were to drive there everyday in my dad's car.
Maybe I should get a summer job this year.

you a shit

I like sports cars but what really excites me and what I'm enthusiastic about is shit that's weird or underappreciated, or cars that just make good cruisers (mostly old American garbage).

I actually have no particular love for the Mustang or Camaro, or even the insane versions of the hellcat, but the basic R/Ts are really comfy.

i some how managed to leave my handbrake on once and drove a couple of feet until realized it was on...Oh and i like the new camrys

i shot a man in reno just to watch him die

In my opinion, mod and tune-cultures are the lowest sub-cultures . Only work that you should ever do on your car (apart from maintaining it) should have the goal of keeping it stock/making it showroom-fresh, even with a 90's shitbox.
>never tell my car-friends this unless they ask how their new air-scoop looks on their econobox Honda Civic

I feel closer to god on Sunday in a junkyard than in church.

Driving is enjoyable at times, generally the more of a relaxed cruise you're in. But sporty driving is way too hectic for me, and I've pretty much never done any work on my car beyond changing the wheels and filling up the washer reservoir, and I expect any serious mechanical work to be a complete fucking nightmare. Let the shop handle it, that's what it's for.

I can't fucking drive in any city area, too scary to ram into something or some idiot on a bike w/o helmet.

Cruisin on a route is the only thing I don't suck while driving though

I unironically believe that the 280ZX is a better car than the 240Z

I like crossovers

i despise cars as a mode of transport and will gladly see them gone from the surface of the earth.
they're fun toys and nothing beyond it.

I want a Mahindra Roxor really bad

too bad it's not street legal. looks like fun

I drive aggressively in traffic and speed all the time

I saved up like 10000 euros

I have no fucking ideea what I'm doing, wether to save more and buy new or buy a used Audi A5 2 door coupe with around 110.000 km, or just buy a shitbox like a Dacia or a Hyundai i20 new with warranty. Friends I talked to have differing opinions, some say buy used others say buy new.

Worst part of it all is that I dont even need a car, I just want a car to show women I can afford a car.

I saw a brand new one of these broken down on the side of the road yesterday. At first I thought it was just a flat tire, but as I got closer I saw all of his tires were inflated and the driver was on the phone with a disappointed look on his face.

I don't have a drivers licence

Same, working on it though

Get the estate bro

I traded in my dad's truck for money to help pay for my friend's burnt down house.

I feel so bad because he wrote in his will that his truck belongs to me when he dies. His beloved possession, given away because of my friend's retarded actions.

I'm sorry dad, please forgive me.

you feel bad because you helped your friend? why did you help him then?

I am against this idea and have been since my first car. 5 years ago i got my first car, it was a beat up worn down rusty 1968 mercury cougar. It was a kickass platform to build a neat car and bonding time with my dad. We decided on it because of the style and old fashioned things always interested us both, so restoring a classic car seemed like a great idea. And it was, but factory perfect restoring turned out to be terrible. Parts were crazy expensive (i remember we needed to get the reflectors for the rear quarter panels. Look alike ones cost 7 dollars, original ones from a junkyard cost 50 per reflector) and working on that car showed me that car can and sometimes should have parts or mods different from what they came with factory. I usually try to stick to getting/ i only like when other people do mods that serve a purpose. Better preformance, fancy gadgets they can actually use like a backup camera on a daily driver, stuff like that. I even like mods that are purely cosmetic because they serve the purpose of making a car my own, and making me smile everytime i see my car when i walk out in the morning. Even if i dont like the look of someone elses strange mods, i have to at least appreciate the time, money, and effort another person put into their own personal pursuit of happiness. Thats at least how i try to look at it when a honda civic has a stick on hood scoop from vatozone. At least it makes them smile in the morning.

my front right ABS reluctor ring has a crack in it which means the lights come on & off at random and the ABS kicks in when it doesn't need to

i'm not going to fix it.

Life is a series of compromises lad.

Good opinion. It's about time cars go the way of the horse.

Was trapped in a high interest loan on a pretty much broken car.

This got me out of it, into a very low interest and pretty much broke even.

Self-driving cars are a moral imperative.

>borrowed my dad's car
>hooned it before warming up
>disregarded red light

>deleted the file from dashcam's SD
>not before uploading it to my cloud

I haven't changed my oil since June and I've driven about 500 miles since then, most of which has been in the last two months.

I haven't washed my car in 5 weeks.

jokes on you, I'm a poorfag working for a car rental company, in which I drive (between many others) a Passerati

I've been rolling around without insurance since december and insurance companies are most likely to not insure me again.
I'm fucked because I absolutely need my car to go around and I also love driving too much to just stop.

im too nervous to sell my car privately and will probably trade in with a dealer for less than I could get

I tickle my own ass in the shower.

I might commit three cardinal sins
>buying new car
>buying automatic car
>buying a PHEV

i let my car go 11k miles before i changed the oil..

I've been trying to find out whether it's okay to go a slow speed (say 5mph) in a high gear (say, 5th) or if that'll damage your engine. Still haven't found any answers.

I know the opposite is not ok (high speed + low gear) but what about this

I've never washed my car once.

We already knew that.

100 lashes, no less.

If you're buying another car from a dealer this makes sense, whether the car you're buying is new or used. You save money on the taxable portion of the purchase.

The last vehicle I bought was a few years old, but I bought it from a Toyota dealer. Instead of paying tax on $30,000, I paid tax on $20,000 because I got $10,000 for my trade-in.

For the minimal amount extra I might have gotten selling it privately, and the endless hassle of having to entertain every cheap spic and poo that comes along to test drive it, it was just better trading it in.

I've let an E30 sit outside without being started up for about two weeks now. Afraid to start her because the t-belt is old

It depends on your RPMs, but generally you shouldn't be hovering around 1000RPM in any gear unless it's some kind of massive diesel.

You are putting more stress on the powertrain due to the difference in rotational torque between the wheels and the input shaft. It's worse to do this on a manual car, because you're really stressing the clutch and likely going to stall out the car.

It's not always bad to drive a car fast at high RPM, really depends on what you're doing with it. If it's a displacelet shitbox, you probably have to keep it above 3500RPM to get any power. If it's a larger engine, doesn't matter so much.

Ideally you should be hoping to cruise along between 1300 and 1800 RPM for normal driving. Most cars are geared to achieve this.

I drove my roommate's automatic 1998 accord banging on the limiter and doing 100 mph runs late at night

Thanks. This leads to my question, how do you slow down and stop in a manual or dct?

For example I was learning on my dad's tiptronic (bought myself a manual car but I need to do some maintenance before learning on her) and I have no idea how to slow down. Can't coast in neutral, so what I did was (say I'm in 4) kept in that gear until I came to a full stop at the light, then went back down to 1 and started over. Is this damaging?

>Thanks. This leads to my question, how do you slow down and stop in a manual or dct?
With the brake pedal

No, what do you do with the + and - as your speedo is dropping
If I go from 40mph to 20mph do I shift from 4 to 2? Do I go to 0mph in 4 and then go back to 1? What?

>whether it's okay to go a slow speed (say 5mph) in a high gear (say, 5th) or if that'll damage your engine

It's called "lugging your engine" and it's generally considered to be bad. It will probably not do severe damage to your engine unless you try to accelerate from low engine speed while maintaining a high gear.

>I know the opposite is not ok (high speed + low gear)

Not really true, as long as the engine is at normal operating temperatures you're not stressing the engine at all even by keeping it at redline. When the engine coolant temperature starts to surge above normal (100C on most cars), that's when you need to bring the RPMs down. Modern engines usually go into limp mode at this point to keep you from doing damage to the engine.

>being both a nofap cultist and a stormcuck
Holy shit whoever wrote what's in your screencap is beyond salvation.

man I stall my car if I've changed shoes or if I was distracted, it happens.

>the ABS kicks in when it doesn't need to
Fucking hate that. My truck does that because locker and big tires, just coming up to a stop at 10mph is fine, but if I have at least a quarter wheel in either direction, it engages, for all the wheels.

I have ignored it enough that I actually avoided a crash because I instinctively centered the wheel and stopped in time

I made my Civic look like an Type R with badges and seats.

Don't compare a DCT to a manual, the DCT will automatically override and shift to stop the engine from stalling.

With a manual, if you want to slow down you basically do the opposite of what you did to speed up.

1.) Lightly press brake pedal to start slowing vehicle
2.) When your RPMs drop to the low range of usefulness for that gear (every car is different, but it's usually about 300-500RPM higher than what the car will stall at in that gear), push the clutch in
3.) With clutch pushed in, tap the throttle to blip it and bring your revs up (they will have dropped to near idle speed, less than 1,000RPM)
4.) With revs temporarily blipped up, move shifter to desired lower gear (should be the next lowest until you git gud)
5.) Slowly let clutch back out and feel it bite/engage
6.) If you've done it well, you'll hardly see a change in the RPMs when the clutch and gear engage

You should really be moving to the next gear with your right hand as soon as you've put the clutch in, and while you're blipping the throttle. The blip will only stay for a second so it's just about learning the timing.

That's why it's a skill, unlike driving automatic or DCT. It will take practice and you'll keep getting better at it. Most of the faggots on this board have been driving stick for years and they still fucking suck, or they do insanely retarded shit like DOUBLE CLUTCHING on a modern passenger transmission. Don't ever start doing that, your tranny has synchromesh gears so as long as you're rev matching (blipping the throttle), your tranny will last a long time.

P.S. The point of blipping that throttle is to help match the rotational speed of the input shaft with that of the output shaft (being turned by the wheels when your clutch is pushed in).

Your best bet is to watch videos on how manuals work, from a technical perspective. EricTheCarGuy and other Youtubers take transmissions apart and show you how they work, including clutches. It really helps when driving.

I like my autotragic supra

i'm driving a manual for the first time tomorrow

im almost in my mid 20s

p-pls no bully

... but it's okay to skip gears, right. i got from 5 to 3 and 4 to 2 regularly.

I made this stripper squirt in my truck and told my gf the next day that it was just my drink that I spilled

i was 24 the first time i drove a manual car, and that was after flying out to buy it. the 8 hour drive home was nerve-wracking but i made it there without breaking anything or killing anyone. you'll be fine as long as you're patient.

because he's living in poverty.

Full synthetic will go a year or 7500 miles, which ever comes first on most cars. 5000 miles or 6 months on the severe duty usage cycle.

Thanks. What would the same procedure be in a DCT? Trying to figure out my dad's car for now, I saved your post for when I start driving my car

I went 180mph on a public road

no

I’m thinking of selling my 986 to buy a motorbike in a pissy attempt to relive that feeling of when I was young and happy riding around town on my bmx.

That’s a good idea

Thanks user, this is helpful.

How fast should I be upshifting? It always takes me a few seconds to switch between first and second gear and I always feel the car start to lose speed, so I'm concerned I'm taking too long. I don't have problems with the higher gears for some reason.

>go a slow speed (say 5mph) in a high gear (say, 5th)
If that doesn't stall the engine something is seriously wrong

I'm 31 and since last week, it's the first time I have a car on my name AND a drivers licence. I've driven several 100k without a drivers licence. I did have cars on my name and even insured them even though that was meaningless because I wasn't driving legally

Modern Chevy and Mazda cars are the best on the market, well done

I hate japanese cars, except for older 90's Nissans. I cant explain it and ive tried to like them but i just cant do it

Good point on the tax, hadnt thought about it.
I think theres a lot to be said about not having to meet prospective buyers, take a tonne of phone calls and stupid questions. And also not get stuck in the carless limbo between selling and buying what you want.

It's OK to skip gears, just takes a bit more practice. In some older cars you can't because there's just not enough, going from like 3rd to 1st would redline the shit out of it.

But yes, if you're confident and can do the shift smoothly all the better.

A DCT is likely only going to let you shift sequentially. Basically, you have two clutches or gearboxes/housings. One has your odd-numbered gears, the other has your even gears. So, in a 6 speed, 1, 3, and 5 are in the first housing, and 2, 4, 6 are in the other. The reason it can shift so quickly is because it has the gear above and below whatever gear YOU'RE in pre-selected. So if you're in 3rd, it can jump to 2nd or 4th without hesitation.

Maybe they've have developed something that can skip gears at this point, but the majority of DCTs were always sequential, just shifted way faster than a traditional automatic.

Really, shifting in a DCT is like doing it in a manual, only without a clutch pedal. Just learn where the peak torque/hp is for each gear at each speed, and shift when your RPMs hit it. To shift down, you likely won't have to blip the throttle since DCTs are still automatics. They'll automatically compensate for this differential, since you're not fully disengaging anything the way you do with a clutch plate.

First and second is usually the stickiest in any car, because the ratio is so tight in first gear. It's a really "short" gear, designed to allow the engine to transmit torque to a completely stationary, ~3,000lbs vehicle without stalling. The other gears are "taller", meaning the ratio isn't as aggressive - they literally feel smoother going into and out of them. First gear's usefulness tends to top out around 15-30kmh in most cars, so when the RPMs sort of hit that "wall" - they stop climbing quickly, that's about when you should shift. Normally you can gauge this with the speed of the vehicle. And get your clutch/shift moves quicker, that's just practice.

i feel asleep driving home one night and wrecked my dads car into a ditch.
i blamed it on a deer, and got scott free

I bought a 2018 4Runner for my wife a few weeks ago.

Last weekend we decided her mom needed a new vehicle so I bought an ‘05 4Runner with a V8 and almost 100k.

The confession part is my wife and I both kinda like the ‘05 better than the ‘18.

my hero used to be a 1991 mr2 turbo. i bought one, and i hated it within a year. i lost a significant amount of my interest in cars after that. don't meet your heroes.