What's the thoughts on Mazda RX-8s? Is there a reason they stopped producing them?

What's the thoughts on Mazda RX-8s? Is there a reason they stopped producing them?
There's an 06 I'm eyeing with 75K miles.

Good chassis but horrifically bad engine. So bad that even dropping in a cummins makes the car faster because it actually runs instead of sitting in your driveway.

Bad as in detrimental to driving, will need to be replaced in 10k miles, or just unfun?

It's an engine that's designed to be fast at the expense of reliability

And its not nearly fast enough to justify shite tier reliability

>)
very fun but only good for track days and shit, probably a terrible daily given the reliability

>Is there a reason they stopped producing them?
Tighter emission standards, to my knowledge.

>Good chassis but horrifically bad engine.
I had one (until someone crashed into it), and I think it's rather the other way around. The engine is so light it's a shame the car as a whole weighs so much.

I never had to replace my engine, but then again the car was totaled at 77k miles and the preowners took very good care of it.

The main appeal of an RX-8 is its great handling for such a little price because it has devaluated so drastically. The engine is sufficient, at least it's not turbocharged, so it has always more to give which is great fun.
And maybe you just like to have a different engine because you're a hipster like me. Oh, and suicide doors.

The downside of course is that you're always a bit afraid that the engine might break (but you can do a compression test, and then you'd know). Having to replace the engine is probably not going to be the end of the world, but it's a lot of hassle, of course.
Another downside is the fuel consumption, but since you're probably in the US, you may not mind too much.

And that's not really true. The engine wasn't designed that way, on the contrary. It was designed to be reliable – but since there hasn't been too much research into rotary engines, relatively to a piston engine that's not much.
Rotary engines are not designed to not be reliable, they are designed to give a lot of power from very little “displacement”.

Just do a 350 sbc swap or newer ls engine. I think they make conversion kits for it

And that's just stupid because that will ruin the handling (which is the main point of the RX-8).

No it won't stop posting this

Great handling car, fantastic chassis, get accustomed to the requirements of how to run a rotary reliably.

Loses to an MRS which granny shifts at 5krpm, so lose that weight.

Then again almost everything loses to an MRS.

>le lets replace a 50 gram engine with a 500 ton boat anchor because numbers on paper is literally all that matters and corners dont exist

Americans should be banned

maintenance -> ignition system -> clogged cat through this

>06
>75K miles
this is good

I love my 8
Just got mine in December, and it's in the shop now for some body work (paint oxidation, new front bumper cover). Great handling, great shifter, just an insanely fun car to drive. But don't bother if you live in a packed city/have constant bumper to bumper traffic. They mainly stopped being produced because they couldn't keep up with new (mainly Europe's) emission standards. The one you're talking about seems pretty good, but remember you can't tell if the previous owner kept up on maintenance well enough. Use the 75k as a means to talk down. When you get one, I would suggest immediately doing all routine engine maintenance (nonsynth oil, coolant, spark plugs, ignition coils, filter) so you know what has happened. And as soon as you can get a midpipe (or gut the cat, if you don't have emissions tests), and start premixing with idemitsu. Also it's a Mazda, so look for rust. But you should know you won't be modifying one for power. You won't be able to get much out without really dishing out cash. Just go for reliability (better cooling system, sohn adapter) and handling mods, if anything.

Plan on rebuilding/buying a new engine for it.
Drive it fast and hard when you do, it'll keep the apex seals good.

The alloy LS is lighter than turbo rotary setup. Just like a 86 LS swap it doesn't change the weight balance. It just show how bad a rotary is when it gets outperformed by a truck engine.

>interior is a cheap plastic mess
>front seats are ok but there are these silly triangles on the back that poke you if you are a manlet
>rear seats might as well not be there at all
>gas hog
>slow
>unreliable
>cop magnet if in anything but grey

I sold mine with bad seals, never really though about doing anything with it because I got it for cheap.
If i had one again I would put in a 4g63t to piss off the rotofags

If you blow the apex seal... You either fix it for $$$$$$$ or sell it off as parts.

The S2000 does everything that the RX8 does but better

Or fix it with a LS.

The s2k costs a ton of money and you will never ever find a clean example let alone a low mileage one

@18752407
>convertible
LOLNO

they have the takata airbag recall as well.

Yes it will cletus it makes the car front heavy and less nimble, go jerk off to v8 magazine and fuck your sister.

They stopped producing them in '08 because of the '08 financial crisis. They weren't selling enough to justify keeping it around.

>75k
make sure that's chassis mileage. If it's had the engine replaced premix the fuel with 1/2oz per gallon of tcw3 premix oil and it will last.

Theres a reason its being sold. The rotory blows up at 80k miles

>They stopped producing them in '08
Wrong, final year was 2012.

>The alloy LS is lighter than turbo rotary setup.
Lighter than a bone stock rew with the heavy ass twin setup and all emissions.

FTFY, a stripped down no emissions 13b with a single turbo only weighs 225lbs.

tripfag does everything an anonymous poster does except gayer

nothing screams entry level enthusiast louder than the RX8

at least the brz and miata are niggerproof

>at least the brz and miata are niggerproof

for now.

>dropping in a cummins makes the car fas
GOT EM CHEVY PHAGS BTFO

god forbid nissan runs out of g35s

Rotary engines in the era of increasingly tighter emissions standards was a losing battle. Wankel motors are innovative but are inherently NOT a clean burning motor the way they are designed. Mercedes tried using a rotary motor too once but couldn't get it to burn clean enough to sell in most markets

They stopped producing them for a number of reasons

>emissions
>shitty gas mileage
>shitty performance
>the amount of maintenance vs other cars was ridiculous

>at least the brz and miata are niggerproof
what

nice trips but you should know 99% of rx8s that you see broken down forever parked in low income neighborhoods are owned by poor black ppl

Honestly it's a shame these cars are getting so old. There's plenty of people rebuilding RX7's, hell even I am. But the 13b in these is just so shit that even if the kit to rebuild it was free I still wouldn't. Seems like there all in this weird 70-90k mile range and there just not selling because everybody knows the motor is gonna go soon. Though the chassis is pretty great nothing out of this world but still competitive with modern standards.

Yeah because niggers don't want a Toyota they want a clapped out BEEMER or MERCEDAS that they'll never change the oil in and kill....then buy another one

Yeah, there's more than a few rx8s in my area that are in the $700-1500 range and running, but the only reason I refuse to pick one up is because of that damn motor. I don't want it blowing 2 days later and I don't really know enough about rotaries to fix or replace it. There are no FD's for cheap here and FCs are either gutted shells or fully rebuilt and 10k+.

They sound fucking atrocious. Like a nest of bees shoved up a gay man's asshole and he's shitting them out at Mach1

i liked the sound before and hearing it described that way makes me like it even more

Seeing this animation only reminds me of what a stupid, inferior design that is.

Rotards BTFO.

Get FC

nice delusion

lol if you buy an RX and it isn't a FC or FD.

the rx8 is a joke. anyone that is attracted to it aesthetically and willing to pay that much while thinking they got a good deal and know about cars are the EXACT type of people that have kept companies like Hyundai relevant lmfao

xD

this entire thread
>muh rotary is shit engine blows up every 2 miles
>muh emmissions and gas mileage matters for a car
>muh its not vee eyte its not a car
>muh shit 0-60
>muh what is handling?

How is Veeky Forums an enthusiast board? All I see is retarded normies parroting opinions

>widely held opinions means they are parroted

not even picking a side, this is a retarded statement.

>gives up when cummins wont fit period

>muh gas mileage
Its be one thing if the engine got 300 HP with 12 MPG but this rotory produces almost enough power to match my civic and my civic gets 40 mpg on a regular basis

It's used a rotory engine but was required to cuck it for the sake of passing emissions.

Great platform for an engine swap, but fuck putting the SBC/LS bullshit, LFX or JV6 will put down good power sound great and won't require major structural modifications to be done
And if you ever want more power, the fucking LFX has integrated exhaust manifolds so fabbing a turbo kit is nowhere near as difficult