What do Europeans use for hauling stuff...

What do Europeans use for hauling stuff? The utilitarian use of one can easily justify its ownership by usually at least 1 per family here in Canada.

I noticed vehicles like compact vans and Defenders 110 in my last trip to the UK, but to me there is obvious advantages to having an open box.

I thought maybe fuel price would be limiting as 1/2 tons are the norm here, but also there is a plethora of 'mini (and 1/4 ton) trucks' available in the international market.

Other urls found in this thread:

holidaysafloat.co.uk/areas/northern-europe/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why do you need a pickup to haul your kitchen knives down to the police station for binning?

most people just use their normal cars
or you can rent a van

Depending on what object needs to be hauled from where to where and how frequently you do it:

1. Home delivery on new items, usually free or for a negligible charge.
2. Rental vans for cheap daily rates.
3. Utility trailers since even VW Golf sized cars are rated to tow between 3000 and 4000 lbs with trailer brakes here and much more than that isn't permitted by the basic license class anyway.

If you're looking for more specialized or capable towing equipment you'll be looking at a different license class and then full size Euro vans or Defender type SUVs that can tow 7700 lbs, or beyond that actual medium duty trucks since it'll likely be a commercial venture anyway.

What do you define as hauling stuff? Many Europeans buy wagons, since they're good on fuel and not expensive to insure, usually most of the things we need to carry fit inside just fine.

is it true that canadicucks have to pay almost $40k for that?!

Probably just rent a truck when they need to haul. I see a lot of enclosed transport vans too.

Transit vans, or we just get it delivered to our door and carried into the garage for us.

Vans, we also have small cargo cars and long station wagons like Volvos.

American trucks are becoming more popular in the Netherlands tho, not sure why but rich people like them even though they dont really have a purpose in our country since the roads are fantastic and flat

>Netherlands
B A K F I E T S

I want to do some gardening and landscaping. What do I use in Europe to move dirt and mulch? What do I use to take dirty stuff to their disposal areas (ie bottles, oil)? Where do a put my muddy motorcross bikes?

I know there's a meme about the pointlessness of a truck for many people, but I'd say 60-70% of people I know actually use them for hauling stuff that a memewagon or SUV would be less than ideal. I myself bought a used Land Rover for my utilitarian daily needs, but even then an open box would be optimal for a lot of stuff.

No a truck like in the picture will cost you less than $30 knew.

kanker hollanders op mijn board reeeeeeeeee

Most Europeans don't really have "stuff". The vast majority live in packed city centers which means no gardens, no lawns, no toys, etc. Just look at the number of boats and travel trailer sales comparing NA to Europe.

Trailers.

That's a depressing picture.

>American trucks are becoming more popular in the Netherlands tho, not sure why but rich people like them even though they dont really have a purpose in our country since the roads are fantastic and flat
It's a tax loophole. You can fit a standard Euro-size pallet in the bed, which means you can register them as a "work vehicle" and this in turn gives you massive cuts on road tax.
Then put it on LPG and enjoy your big fuckoff VEEATE TRUKK with running costs of an entry-level 3-Series.

Why?
It's just a for rent trailer.

Don't forget everything is smaller in Europe except for penises hence there is no need to compensate by driving BIG TRUCKS

Construction workers, electricians and plumbers almost exclusively use either Toyota HiAce vans, or VW Transporter vans. Some use smaller vans like the Citroen Berlingo, Renault Kangoo, Peugeot Partner, Toyota ProAce, VW Caddy and so on. They're roomy, cheap on the fuel, reliable and practical

If you need more space then the VW Crafter, Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and Ivecos are popular, also mostly in van-configs. Some with collapsible flatbeds can be found

Pickups like the Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi L200, VW Amarok, Nissan Navara and similar are most often used by demolition folks, road workers, powerline workers, heavy machinery operators (gravel pits and the likes), and anyone else who needs to go into shite terrrain

For private ownership; people just buy crossovers, sedans and wagons while using a trailer to transport whatever they need to at the time. A lot of folks buy crossovers/SUVs without needing any of the pros the platforms offer, but nobody buys a pickup as a family vehicle.
Private owners of pickup trucks are almost always people who spend a lot of time hunting & fishing, live somewhere with really terrible roads, tow a lot and so on. The few people I know who own a pickup without having much need of one are the ones that ironically all drive american pickups

Everything is so grey and dull. The cars, the trailers, the houses. would it kill you guys to use some paint on metal?

Trailers. They allow you to use the same car for many different purposes since we're not rich enough to own a single vehicle for one purpose.

It's likely an ad for that particular trailer hire company since everything is dull apart from the brightly colored trailer. You'd want the product to be in the center of attention.

if you work a trade or something and actually need to move stuff regularly then your probably have a ford transit van or similar. Pick-up trucks are pretty much exclusively for posers and most will never carry anything.

It's different when you're allowed to have toys like off road vehicles, travel trailers and boats. Keep in mind boats and travel trailers here are 5000lbs and ironically we seem to care about towing safety more and don't just stick the wheels in the middle of the trailer.

The weather is grey and dull 200 days per year and we have many zoning laws stating you cannot have your house painted in annoying bright colors, unless the entire neighborhood is like that.

On top of that people get dull colored cars since people believe a grey or black car keeps it's value better than a bright colored one. This is especially true for white cars.

>muh dick
vittu nekeeri

If I ever move anything I can't get into a glorious turbobrick wagon with folded seats, I can hitch a trailer to it for like another ton of stuff. It's enough

This. Why would you want to carry your workman's stuff in an open-to-the-elements, large rectangular tub when it can be carried INSIDE and in practical shelving

I'm just saying what everyone is thinking when some suburban loser claims he needs his big car for hauling things he cannot describe.

>Pick-up trucks are pretty much exclusively for posers and most will never carry anything.
The exception is farmers. They use Japanese pickup trucks rather than Land Rovers, because they're more reliable, harder to steal, and can carry sheep and a sheepdog in the back without the interior smelling of wet dog and wet sheep.
And it can still haul a trailer for even more livestock, or the utility quad your insurance replaced AGAIN.

Wtf do people normally "haul"? Can't really think of anything that doesn't fit into a hatchback

Yes tools and shit it's much easier to carry in a service van, but demo, landscaping, stuff where dirty work is required does make an open box necessary as writte in my post aboveAnd I'm speaking as a 20 year old whose family owns a trade company. The amount of rig pigs working in the oil fields with lifted diesel 6.7L and the box filled with after market took boxes is disgusting in aesthetic as well as practicality. But as a DIY who owned a truck, and now a full size SUV there is certain aspects I miss of a pick up configuration, wether it be a UTE or a 1/2 ton F150.

I guess Europeans live different lifestyles, but I thought there would be an obvious DD/Utilitarian use among Trades people and non city folk.

We use a 1995 Silverado diesel for hauling stuff for our actual trucks.

Why? Because the frame haven't snapped behind the cab after a few winters...
You can also sit like a human being, unlike Japanese trucks
And the parts are cheaper then dirt.

430 000km and counting
Northern_Sweden

>What do I use in Europe to move dirt and mulch?
A proper fucking flatbed with folding sides and not some glorified color matched tub on the back of a burgertruck. Either that or a utility trailer. By the way it gets delivered.

>What do I use to take dirty stuff to their disposal areas (ie bottles, oil)?
Do you move oil by the barrel?

>Where do a put my muddy motorcross bikes?
A fucking trailer, you idiot, they only weigh like 150 kilos each. A fucking Golf could tow half a dozen of them.

MUH FORTY FOOT CAMPER TRAILER

MUH TEN THOUSAND POUND BOAT

MUUUUUH TOYS

Well you care more about different things than we do in Europe. For anything actually heavy and or dangerous you need an additional license which assures you know how to deal with (and have practiced) loosing control of the trailer. Whereas in the US, any dumb fuck can drive (admittedly safer) trailers with no idea how to handle them.

If you cared about traffic safety you'd train your drivers better and introduce a license class for towing instead of just letting any moron with a license drive 26,000 lbs combinations.

But really you don't care about safety, you're lazy bastards that only care about convenience. You wanna tow without putting a single thought into it, that's why your tow vehicles are so oversized.

I know, Northern Europe always looks so sad and gray.

You bring up a good point - american "civilians" are allowed to tow much heavier stuff & at a higher speed than a european "civilian". Towing a 1.2-ish ton trailer with something like a Passat at 80mph like the americans do is either impossible or stupidly dangeroous

>Netherlands
>northern Europe
I mean, its not like its super colorful here either, but its not the eastern bloc

They don't. Personal business activities are banned in the EUSSR.

holidaysafloat.co.uk/areas/northern-europe/

Thats not entirely correct. If you file an application at your neighborhood surveillance/police headquarter, pay the $3000 fee and endure the two-year waiting period you can get between 3 and 6 hours of such activities performed while under surveillance of an intelligence officer

According to Eurovoc, which is what the EU adhers to in their definition
Blue – Northern Europe
Green – Western Europe
Red – Eastern Europe
Yellow – Southern Europe
Grey – Territories not considered part of Europe

If you divide Europe into northern and southern, the Netherlands are definitely in the northern half. What I was referring to applied to all northern European countries, and not to southern European ones like Spain, Italy or Greece. I'm not sure why that triggered your geographical autism.

And not to be off topic, but Finland and the Baltics and Greece should be eastern, and the rest should be be western. That's a really dumb way to divide it up.

RAM ProMasters

Because its just wrong? When one says "eastern europe" one is typically referring to "eastern europe" as the areas that were historically under communist rule, while western europe often being the richer "middle european" countries like Germany, France and whatnot

The terms are not from pure geography, but also has a lot to do with the history and culture of the areas

We also love other American® trucks like Freightliner Sprinter

Genuinely curious, where the fuck do you think the axle placement should be? Vehicles are engineered with downward towball weights for a reason.

How is it wrong? If you split Europe in half then the Netherlands are in the northern half, and it shares the deary gray cold climate I was pointing out. Why is that such a point of contention for you, because the EU world factbook defines it as north-west-central-southern-eastern Europe not strictly northern?

>When one says "eastern europe" one is typically referring to "eastern europe" as the areas that were historically under communist rule, while western europe often being the richer "middle european" countries like Germany, France and whatnot
Then Finland should be a part of Eastern Europe since it was once literally a part of Russia. Why are the Baltics not Eastern Europe? The way the map you posted is divided is just as arbitrary as any.

Well look at a properly engineered tractor trailer setup. Do you see them putting the wheels in the middle of the trailer to save tongue weight?

the absolute state of eurocucks

Fuck those look depressing.

ameridumb

>everyone who triggers me is british

obsessed

Literally how

I dare You say that to my face motherfucker!

*says it to your face*
AMERIDUMB

That dull grey bare metal. You people always just settle for the bare minimum ugh.

seeth more.

There's no use for that here in the NL. Flattest country on this planet. Best infrastructure on this planet.
If I were to live in some third world shit hole where I'd have the need to drag 5 people and a little bit of stuff through the mud I'd buy that.
But I live in the best country on earth where we rent a van to "haul" stuff because they're actually practical and we don't suffer from the double digit IQ and microdick syndrom.
And the rest of the time we drive vehicles suited for civilised people. Like a car.

There is no need for that piece of shouty caveman trash other than muh micropenis. That tries to do a lot and sucks at all of them.

>he unironically believes everyone who makes fun of him is actually british

top kek

>we don't suffer from the double digit IQ

Oh I don't know about that. You people are stupid enough to build below sea level and wear wooden shoes.

Whatever makes you feel better. btw Australia is Europe but hotter and more expensive.

Euros don't haul anything. They all live in fruity little villages or commieblocks and never leave their homes.

Ok. Just know we used to own most of that soil you worship untill we gave it to the Brits. Whenever you walk, every step you take, you will remember this. I used to own you.

>"He isn't british?!?!"
>"He must be Australian!!"

the absolute state of ameriburgers

Vans, they hold motherfuckloads and you don't need to worry about rain.

>toothpaste
>britain's greatest enemy
really makes you think

>dumb amerifat thinks the netherlands is in any way related to the UK

kek, amerifat """"""""""""""education"""""""""""""""

Why should they be fancy? They're utilitarian and do their job properly that's all that matters. I really don't get americans and their bizarre romantization of hauling and towing

It's okay to take a little pride in your appearance.

I used to like stickers when I was a kid.

>more expensive
Not housing

Bright colour houses would still look like shit if there is bad weather m8. Also, being all rainbow and shit looks terrible if there is everyone is painting their houses in different colours and not taking care of it properly. If you want colours, just go to CZ or Austria

He's kinda right though. My car is painted red and even though it's a shitbox it always stands out, because literally every other car is painted in either black, white or grey.
>t.portuguesefag

>Well look at a completely irrelevant trailer setup
-9001/10 engineering solution

>Do you see them putting the wheels in the middle of the trailer to save tongue weight?
Do you understand how axle groupings work? And FYI, when a truck of similar size is configured to pull a pig trailer, the axles are indeed placed in the centre of the load.
this tbqh famalam

The point is, a little lick of paint won't hurt anyone.
It'll help prevent rust so you can use your shit longer, even if it's a little more expensive.
Plus it looks better than bare metal.

t.oothpaste

that's a wooden floor. It takes one year of use to get to replace those floor boards. no one in their right mind would ever buy such a trailer. unless you care about the aesthetics off course.
Also: high grade rustproof steel is grey. American pigsteel needs multiple layers of coating to be able to withstand rain.
Know your steel fagget.

Pic related is infinitely more practical than a pickup for carrying large loads.

forgot pic

What the fuck are you talking about dude show me a regular trailer people haul behind their trucks that has the wheels spaced out like that.
Im a driver and I often have to haul a trailer and every single one I've seen has been like these

>That dull grey bare metal
>The point is, a little lick of paint won't hurt anyone.
>It'll help prevent rust so you can use your shit longer
Apart from the sacrificial sheet floor, it's galvanised steel you drop kick.

Truckcucks BTFO by pic rel

>properly engineered
>has a much wider turning circle and the trailer drags far further inwards than a European combo
>only exists in the first place because Murrikans cheap out on road construction and can only put a lower weight on far more wheels and with a far longer wheelbase on their road surfaces
0/10 apply yourselves, you 36.2 metric ton retards.

>That dull grey bare metal.
It's galvanized and it'll last much, much longer than murrifat utility trailers that are painted fancy colors.

something like pic related exists.
In the netherlands they use them to create low-floor moveable marketstands. Usually hauled by a small commercial truck, not a car.

Far harder to reverse than center axle trailers though, that's why you'll mostly see them on truck combinations and only rarely in light duty use.

This isn't a real work/hauling trailer though

you're absolutely right about the low level of infrastructure in north america.
That's mostly because its so empty. Europe is pretty densely populated, especially in comparison with north america. So to keep the costs of mobility low, roads are as cheap as possible, and vehicles are designed to withstand those low quality roads (by being bigger, lower axle weights, soft suspension, etc.).
That makes that US vehicles can easily operate in Europe, (although they'll always look clunky, like whacking a screw with a hammer.)
And the other way around is far less common, as european trucks will destroy US roads, while european pickups, or commercial vehicles are designed for proper roads and do not handle the potholes of the US very well.
In trailer setups you see that NA focusses on being able to maintain high speed, while in EU maneuverability is important.
On safety it's mostly a cultural thing. In NA you have to take care of your own safety. By buying the biggest mofo truck out there so people see you, are intimidated by you, and in the event of a crash you have your weight working for you.
In EU safety is a collective effort. All road users should be well trained to look out for other drivers. Rules are upheld and it is socially unacceptable to neglect them or behave aggressive. In the event of a crash actual safety design and features keep you safe, making it unnecessary to increase the damage you do onto others.

It's a dog trailer or dolly trailer, and considering they still don't allow any greater gross mass over a regular dual axle whilst having a heavier tare means the payload is actually smaller. And they're a pain in the ass the reverse whether they have a dolly lock (tear up your tyres and the surface you're driving on) or not (two points of articulation).
Only benefit to them is keeping towball weight neutral if you can't load a trailer properly.

both true.
Just showed it as an example of what it technically possible. Towing behind 'normal' cars is always done with center axle setup. you need to be able to reverse and it cannot be expected that a normy (not truckdriver) reverses a double steered trailer.

>This isn't a real work/hauling trailer though
That one in particular isn't, but light duty use isn't inherent to the axle layout.

>motocross
>150kg each
That would be heavy as fuck bruh, try

That's the thing
>American Economy Cars = Dogshit
>American Sports Cars = Dogshit
>American Muscle Cars = Breddy gud
>American Trucks = God Tier

Sure, things will go wrong but with basic PM they'll run forever.

>That makes that US vehicles can easily operate in Europe
On the contrary. By the time you've chopped enough length off your trailer to fit European length requirements and turning circle requirements (which are in place for a good reason) with an American tractor you'll be left with something like 30 feet of trailer length.

This is what an American truck looks like in Europe. You look at me with a straight face and tell me that this isn't a waste and that it can maintain profitability (in this case it probably can't or will barely pay for its running costs, and is mostly promotional).

to add to this,
in europe you don't need to own everything you want to use.
every 'thing' you ever want to use is something other people want as well and there will be a rental market for it. If you need to haul shit once, maybe twice a year, it's economically speaking far better to have a normal car and rent a proper van than to own a truck. in fuel savings alone you'll be better off. and you'll save days in looking for a proper parking place for a big vehicle.

I was under the impression that most road bikes are around 200 kilos, so I eyeballed the weight of a dirt bike, it's not personal experience. Probably has to be a tiny two stroke to slip under 100 kilos.

>as european trucks will destroy US roads, while european pickups, or commercial vehicles are designed for proper roads and do not handle the potholes of the US very well.
I appreciate your diplomatic approach in a thread full of shitposting, but I have to counter this point.
Ausfailure is full of European semi tractors and pickups/light trucks, and for reasons very similar to what you've mentioned our roads are very similar. Euro trucks typically ride a lot smoother and do less damage than a usual American truck, and the Euro pickups and light trucks still handle the rough stuff almost as well to the usual Japanese stuff.
I think it's probably more to do with patriotism as to why Euro trucks aren't a staple in the US.

To my knowledge Australian road trains use a lot of axles and dual wheels on every trailer axle though, just like the Americans do, to protect their roads. The average European semi combination only has 12 wheels and can weigh 40 metric tons and legally be short as fuck.

>meanwhile in Netherlandistan
>15 y/o jan the farmboi doesn't need any license to drive pic related
I think they do need a license since this year or last year but those who had a moped license because the new law will get a license for these things anyway.
Meanwhile a professional truck driver needs 4 licenses to do the same. No number plate or anything so fug the bolis