There are some pretty good deals on 2017 Golfs and GTIs right now...

There are some pretty good deals on 2017 Golfs and GTIs right now, and I can get either a fully loaded Golf SEL or a GTI S for about the same price. Which does Veeky Forums think would be the better buy? I'll be daily driving it.

Also like the new civic hatchbacks but I'm hearing mixed things about reliability of the turbo

gti s in the barely used segment r coin

dull

why?

not everybody is a chad or a 15 yr old walking hard-on with type-r

been daily driving a 2015 gti since early 2015. zero problems for 45k miles. modding is a tad expensive but other than that i love my car. only downfall is it's fwd. i can answer any questions you have

just get a civic
>b-b-b-but muh looks
who cares fagboi get the sedan if creases bother you that much

Just get a civic for 3k or fix your current car. If you're spending 25k there are much nicer used cars

>buying used
never. get a brand new civic instead

there is nothing of a downside to having FWD on your daily driver. furthermore most RWD cars have no LSD and a RWD car without LSD is worthless
>modding is expensive
that's why OP needs to get the 1.5 civic and enjoy 50 extra hp from a tune

i have a question.. how is the steering.. i keep hearing how numb the steering is.. i like feedback and also.. the clutch.. good feedback? also.. one last thing, hows the real world fuel effeciency.. better than avertised?

not him but all modern cars have numb steering. even top gear now shills cars with electric steering. real world efficiency is based on how you drive but this is VAG so expect a lie or too. in my experience though most manual cars do worse than advertised at really low speeds eg up to 30kph or whatever the amerimong non-units are, and do better than advertised up to 140 or so

civic drives better than a golf btw

truth is im only sorta considering a brand new gti.. id rather a golf r.. civic is legit but im not 20s anymore and the boy racer look isnt muh style.. considered focus rs but samesies boy racer probs.. well that and the recaros arent comfortable at all for a 6'4" 250 frame

there's nothing boy racer about the civic sedan

New cars are a waste of money and the new civic is shit

Mercedes e550 or supercharged jag xf

>promptly recommends car OP wouldn't be able to afford
you mongoloid. how do you even breath? OP is shopping for a golf and you recommend horribly unreliable pieces of crap he would not be able to maintain?

also mercedes age like crap and a new civic is better than your pretend luxury car inside. but what do you know you ride a busing nigg

i guess i assumed si or type r as the gti was car in question.. i dont think regular civic and gti r grouped together as rivalry

SI IS EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE IN SEDAN OR COUPE. no hatch

it's also a waste of money unless you want the upgraded suspension and fwd lsd. because the normal 1.5 has the same engine and tranny

btw don't entertain the idiot recommending you a used v8 mercedes

can verify xf is gorgeous and comfortable.. but gunna agree with anons reply on reliabilty.. plus not a hatch.. lets stay apples-apples

Why not get a Focus ST? VW is a cuck dogshit brand. So overpriced.

If he can afford a new car for 25k he should be able to afford a used car for 25k

i like mercs but lets be honest they r status mobiles and nothing more.. all mercs i like r toy only cars and i dont need a toy rn.. looking for daily plus fun not fun that i dread dailying

no you idiot because mercedes is a dog shit brand and without warranty if something breaks he could potentially have to pay much more than that. same for the XF. admittedly not as bad as a mercedes

if you can't afford either the merc or the XF brand new you can't afford them used either. simple as that. PLUS when it comes to luxury cars if you buy used 99% of the time you're buying someone elses problem. I'd only entertain the idea of a used e39 m5 but even then if you're shopping for a golf probably not a good idea
yeah mercedes is horrible china tier brand, only worth if you can afford 10 supercars for the v8-v12 range

also just buy the civic. comfy, quiet, semi-quick and handles well. value car of the year 2017 for a reason

dependable honda quality too

i test drove a fiesta st.. it was hilariously fun.. but its gross in every sense of aesthetics.. and ive been in an st but never drove it.. same problem.. gross interior.. of course this is my opinion

imagine me wanting perfect daily.. when we all know their is no such vehicle.. its the perfect dilemma

as an ex gm master tech im not intimidated by much in terms of auto repair.. just parts costs lol

You're a fucking idiot. The engines are reliable and most of the rest is too. Anything that breaks can be done without until he can get around to fixing it. The features are worth it and he should be able to wrench himself.

how do you even breath lmao

keep in mind the newer vws have 6yr 72k warranty.. thats a bit reassuring considering the car would be paid for in 5 yrs or less.. so the reliability in question is definitely not of any concern to me

civic is still better matey
reliability is still kind of a concern even with warranty because being stuck isn't nice. btw I've only ever had brand new cars and in over 10 years nothing failed before warranty expired. nothing really failed afterwards except stuff like shock absorbers. benefits of driving a car exclusively yourself, most people treat their cars horribly which is why you should never buy a car that is over the 20-40k mile mark btw

as a seasoned veteran to mechanics im fully aware what to look for on a used vehicle in question.. thats the power of buying used.. i go in with experience and know how and can apply to a vehicle that shaves 1000s off the top for being used market.. or even more if work is required.. how would anyone flip cars if there werent advantageous situations.. but i appreciate ur push on the civic.. ill do some more research on them.. all advice is sincerely appreciated

I like shilling for nip cars. they're honest people and the new civic is great value for what you get. go and read up on it among everyone praising the value people also praise it for it's seemingly unlimited grip and good fun factor

i would only ever consider buying used if I was super rich and shopping for classics, or if i was just mildly rich and shopping for something like an f90 m5, because those cars have such a depreciation hit buying it with 10k on the odo is better. but leasing those cars is also way better so idk

The GTI is fucking legit and I would be very surprised if dollar for dollar there was a better car out there right now. The sport model with the DSG is going for around $23,500 MSRP.

If you want to flash it, you can expect it to make around 316hp/381torque on 93 octane. It’s a fast fucking car. Steering is OK. Handling is superb; especially with the diff you get under the sport model. The dual clutch tranny is amazing and the car is flawlessly nuanced with a million little luxuries that you’re not going to find in competing cars.

>perfect temperature interior led lighting
>roadside assistance kit
>winter mats and cargo dividers
>flip up reverse cam to prevent debris from obstructing view
>cornering headlights
>dsg farts

The list goes on. It’s a great value car in the USA. Keep in mind this thing retails for an additional $5k-$10k in EU sand UK. Only in the USA is it such a good bargain.

Kys faggot. Buying any car used is better than buying new. The new civic is hideous and too big and numb as fuck.

The 2012 golf I test drove (it was new) had a clutch that was so fucking soft i couldnt find the point where it engage th transmission. Hated it. Maybe they changed it on the new ones.

that's really cheap for a GTI. I think we pay about that for normal Golf starter package

rn its between a white silver gti or limestone grey golf r.. i live in cali and have no interest in modifying.. i hear great things about the dsg but will more than likely get the 6 spd to be more involved.. especially at the steering being the weakest point

Neither get a mazda 3

false. buying ecoboxes brand new is recommended because they don't have a big depreciation hit and holding on to them is recommendable. OP is planning on holding on to the car for at least as long as the warranty holds out. also you're the guy recommending a used v8 merc lmao

just because you buy a 3k shitbox every 3 months doesn't mean OP has to

also the new civic is great. better than a used fucking merc lmao. better toys too since you tried to shill taht shit car for it's toys

how do you breath btw?
clutch on the civic is great, I get easy starts on second gear always

I would get the GTI. Golf R is not really worth it. You pay a lot for a little extra and they say the reliability is worse since you constantly squeeze the maximum out of it.

there is many a thread on modifying a valve and removing a spring to aid this issue.. i too value feedback and prefer feeling friction engagement/disengagement

And to comment on the reliability memes, consider this: both the engine and the transmission have proven to be very reliable in the tuner community and these are people that run +5 lbs of boost more than the stock. The DSG can hold 500hp no problem and it’s obvious the engine is overbuilt given the level of performance it leaves the factory with. If reliability is your concern, I don’t think the engine or transmission is going to be the point of failure.

With that being said, my emergency brake handle exploded the other week and ejected all the components needed for the ratcheting mechanism to work. On the bright side, I now have a free-moving emergency brake I can use for siqq drifts

EVOs could handle massive amount of power on stock internals but they weren't exactly reliable either

this is true.. the gti has quirks like the plaid seats that i cant deny draw me in.. plus the r has a lot to live up to and for the price point it isnt outrageous.. and where tf is my r sunroof.. cmon vag

Absolutely no point to getting the Golf R if you’re not going to modify it. the entire point of that car is it’s ability to put down the power. If you’re gonna sit at 300hp, a figure that you can easily get with the gti, there is no chance of you needing all four tires

Just my opinion

the 4b11t wasnt exactly avg/10.. that was an oem built engine too may i remind

>he wants a sunroof

I’m done

only reason id want the r is just straight line speed but its so low on my priority list.. honestly idk why i bothered mentioning it.. its like the feeling of gambling.. u know u shouldnt but temptation is a persuasive cunt

>Not wanting a sun roof in a daily.

I had a sunroof in past two cars I've owned. I used the sunroof maybe a dozen times a year at most.

It's loud af when it's open, it doesn't really do shit to cool you down, it's louder than necessary when the rain hits it. It's pointless and to pay more for one is fucking dumb.

bcuz california..

jaded much.. not my fault the old country is all bad food worse weather mary fuckin poppins london

I recently successfully shilled a civic to a californian. you should get one too!

also im an iowa native.. literally 6-12 perfect days a year in that crap part of the country

What does the sunroof do for you other than make a lot of noise?

I enjoy the feeling of wind and it's also some nice extra sunlight that feels nice as well. It's like perfect weather for me that I can generate with my car.

>Loud af
Do you listen to music? Then it shouldn't be that loud.
>Doesn't really do shit yo cool you down
Why are you lying?
>Louder when it's raining.
You can close the inside cover and it shouldn't be as loud.
>Letting the sound of rain upset your autism.
You are a man child because if that bothers you what the fuck doesn't bother you? Might as well become a trap and have your Tesla drive you around.

fresh air
light
sound is always bad

ever been a wrangler with the top off.. it feels open and invigorating.. well at least to me.. idk how i makes u feel.. like pooping it would appear lol

isnt*

>wrangler with the top off
Yes and a sunroof is no comparison. Sunroofs are nothing like convertibles and they aren't invigorating. They're kind of neat, but not the kind of neat that's worth an extra $1500 or so. Especially in a hatchback like that.

you seem like a very fun and youthful person
so you should buy a civic. you can have one with solid 6 speed manual fully loaded with based sunroof for like 24k. pay 500$ for literal usb stick to get power increase. doesn't get more youthful than that

While I respect that (because the CT-R is ricer as FUCK jesus christ), the GTI and Golf crowd is also full of douchebags that are just as cringe-y, except with the added jackassery of thinking they're better than the other ricers because they have a "classy" Euro car.

>Buy civic for 3k
>Keep it 3 years
>costs another 3k to keep it on the road
>Sell it for 2200
Car ownership doesn't get much cheaper than that. Also, the new civic doesn't have 400hp or cooled or massaging seats. I got rid of my shitbox for an "unreliable" used v8 sedan and I've had to spend like 3k on it in 6 months. But 1k of that was tires and 500 on worn interior pieces because of the previous owner. I enjoy it and if he has a marginal amount of disposable income he could afford it too.

>buy 20k civic
>keep it for 20 years
>don't buy used piece of shit mercedes for massaging seats that don't work

>Still lying.

sunroof =/= wrangler with the top down

>Goal posting
user just because you bought a bad car that happens to have a shitty sunroof, doesn't mean they are all shit. Next time don't get a car with one if you are going to complain about it.

That's not moving the goal post. user literally compared driving a wrangler with the top down to a sun roof. It's literally not the same thing and there is nothing invigorating about sunroofs.

They're neat. But that's about it. If you find sunroofs invigorating, that's just kind of sad.

they're good for jumping out of the car at highway speeds without opening the door

im youthful enough to know what swag is and old enough to think its fuckin retarded.. if thats what u mean

of course not just buy the fun car that wont break the bank

i bought a geo metro for 250 that didnt run.. threw a cap and rotor on it for 50 and it runs great.. get 4 weeks of gas out of a 14$ fillup and insurance costs less than my daily lunch.. nothing has been cheaper than that little shitbox

sunroof also adds weight, cost, and reduces cabin height

semantics..

argumentative bored child who finds himself edgy between online multiplayer matches.. let me know when mom comes into the basement to do laundry so u can take a break from beatin off

>semantics
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

>No one should like what I don't like.
Get out here with this cuck mentality.

I have no idea what this guy is talking about, but he is pulling shit out of his ass.

2018 GTI's START at $27,200 (with destination) and it's an extra $1100 for the DSG.

The performance package is also no more and the LSD is gone as well, although the VAQ system is arguably better. It's basically an electronically controlled clutch pack and can supposedly send up to 100% of torque to 1 well. There's also brake-assisted vectoring, etc.

Either way, that means to even make use of all that torque you need to get the SE, which means you're looking at $31k+ BEFORE EVEN GETTING THE DSG. So basically just under $32,500 if you want a front end that will actually put down power.

how's the DSG maintenance? do you do it yourself?

am manual. sorry friend. dsg maint isn't bad though. change fluid which is easy every 40k

i'm sitting at 312 with a tune, not sure what you're talking about. and as my only car and first car i think i'd prefer something rwd after owning it for a while

my steering isn't very numb, not sure who is saying that. clutch is nice but stock clutch doesn't hold much power.

i get about 25mpg city and 35 hwy

Dsgs are trash. Get the manual.

I drive in a lot of traffic so the manual would be pretty inconvenient

any opinions on the golf SEL? the seats in it look pretty comfy but I'm not a huge fan of leatherette

test drove 2) 18 gtis tonight.. 1 of each.. can confirm.. manual is best

many auto publications/journalists complain of the steering feel/lack of feedback.. i went and test drove a few tonight and can confirm they felt just fine

He's talking about the remaining 2017 GTIs you fucking knob polisher.

Oh, look, someone talking about a car they've never owned. DSG is objectively superior in this vehicle to the 6MT.

>dsg
>superior in any way
Pick one.

dsg fits the character of the gti better

also its reliable and holds 500hp no problem

I heard the DSG costs like €7000 to replace if it breaks lol

It cost the same to replace as any other transmission.

DSG is superior in nearly every way except your fucking whiny moany emotional ass bullshit because you feel like you have to jerk a car off to like it.

Most transmissions don't need a complete replacement, thought. The VAG problem is due to their transmissions being designed to be unserviceable and some parts aren't even available to buy.

I've had my MK7 for 2 years now, modded it a bit currently at "stage 2" around 310whp/360wtq

Clutch engagement is very vague even after bleed the lines and taking out that little fluid restrictor that would delay engagement.

Steering is pretty great, especially at higher speeds. Not fiesta ST level of precision but damn close.

My biggest issue is the ridiculously long 2nd gear that makes 1-2 shifts an absolute chore to be smooth. The drop from 1st is like 1200-1400rpms waaaaaaaay too long for a sporty car. That would be the only thing I would change, the Golf R has shorter gearing in the manual version.

All that being said, I love it. Super comfortable for long trips, fun when you want to be especially with a tune.

Why would I pick two choices given by someone who has no fucking clue what they're talking about? Fuck off to school, busrider.

are the higher GTI trims worth it over the base S model?

>nip
>honest
Yeah nah maybe the old muh pride muh bushido nip people. The younger ones are fucking kikes and cut corners alot. Look at the airbag scandal. Kobe steel. Cheating on diesel emissions waaaaaaay worse than VW does
inb4
>nuh UH they didn't get caught
They did a huge test in yuropistan with all diesels and french 'n nip are the worst in real world NOx emissions.
Kobe steel delivered metals for the 2015+ R1/R1M bike crankshafts. They consistently destroy themselves at the first crank journal. That is with normal road use. Track use destruction can happen with as little as 130 track kilometers.
Jewzuki's sv650 has a huge design failure leading to oil starvation of the rear cylinder with gud wheelies or low prolonged ones. Anecdotal evidence shows the rear cylinder will get scored with hektik track days.
2018 nip bikes still have bad rust protection. The er6 or z650 as its called now has a shitty underbelly exhaust that rots away even before warranty runs out.
Current nips are as bad as the french man.

Not him but in the cars I've sat in so far , euro poverty spec ones, that did have a sunroof, the interior roof is lower. That sucks man. Worst offender is a cla, the back seats can't seat an adult where I live. In the northern part of the Netherlands even girls are 1.85m+. My gf can't sit up straight in one in the back. The front is no better if the car is equipped with a sunroof
Tl;dr normal sized car + sunroof = manlet owner

GTIs are great cars op. They don't do anything particularly well but they can do just about anything you want them to do. Get one with the LSD, put decent tires and get a modest tune and you'll be set.

>Doesn't know how to adjust seat properly.
I'm no manlet standing at 190cm.

>im not 20s anymore and the boy racer look isnt muh style.. considered focus rs but samesies boy racer probs..
maybe a used Audi S3?