What is even the point of these existing in fwd version?

what is even the point of these existing in fwd version?
why didnt they make awd the main ones

Cheap to compete with similar price/performance cars.

awd is expensive

The AWD celica was only produced to qualify for a competition

smooth sillycar

Money.

>Grab that cash with both hands and maaaake a stash.

Get over the RWD meme, the Celica is amazing to drive. I still regret selling mine and getting a Supra.

The way it pulls through corners, goddamn it was fun.

>tfw you own a celica
>tfw passing cucks on the right on the togay at 75mph in a hairpin turn

Cheaper, most people couldn't afford/justify the roided out awd version

cringe

i pity you

>buttmad truck cucks mad their lifted cargo barges can't take the same turn faster than 25mph without significant body roll and chance of flipping at 40mph

>New car, caviar, 4 star daydream
>I think i need a football team

My DD can take turns better than any celica you'll drive

>he doesnt recognize my fwd shitbox as a sporty car so hes driving a truck
im really sorry for you

I pity you

because, unlike what you busriders say, drivetrain layout is the least important thing to consider in a car

Not really, if you're talking about a DD, you're right it doesn't matter, but if you buy a car specifically for sport it does matter

>drivetrain layout is the least important thing to consider , thats why the unreliable, low power versions of these cars are fwd and the only good one is awd

>thinks his shitbox cavalier replacement can compare

>not having a rwd project car and a fwd car with decent suspension for a daily
So what do you drive, Cletus?

5/10

>pretending your daily is a sports car

If the gook chebby can compete, it's not a sports car.

>not having a rwd car with decent suspension for a daily

i would rate the bait a bit higher, some people might actually belive it

Literally as bad as the scion TCucks

>have never had a problem going through the togay at more than double the speed limit (80+mph with turns designed for 30mph)
>is a blast to drive
>small, lightweight, can throw it into the corners without worrying about dying
>fuel efficient, engine is common as fuck so parts are easy to find
>only gripe is it is slow to get up to speed
>paint is shit, lived most of it's life in Florida
>reliable, has never failed to start or left me stranded

I have a friend with a tuned 2012 Chevy Sonic on 23lbs of boost, and while it is way faster, he cannot keep up with me on the togay. The instant we hit the twisties, he has to brake or he's sliding all over the road. Keep in mind my Celica is bone stock.

>wanting to put excessive miles on your rwd project car/daily so you can putt putt through 25mph traffic during rush hour
>not wanting to save the wear and tear and only drive it when it's the weekend
Funny enough my project car is a 2004 350z, currently sitting in my garage in pieces, installing a turbo kit. I want to make at least 400hp to the rear wheels, but I've heard of people making 450hp.

>wants a small, lightweight car thats a blast to drive
>lies to himself that celica is one
if you want a fun fwd shitbox, you get something that was designed to be it

>flying through hairpin turns at 80+mph and not even hearing your tires slip
>not fun

Are you going to be even more salty that I only paid $1,000 for it?

>maximum damage control

>can't refute my points
>goes for generic Veeky Forums meme responses

not at all because you can get shitboxes that do the same and are more practical if you want to daily it

lol what points?

How is it an unpractical daily?
>seats are pretty comfy
>A/C and heat both work just fine
>back seats fold down for maximum grocery space
>liftback, so lots of clearance to stuff shit in it
>gets decent gas mileage
>handles great
>parts are abundant
>reliable
>was cheap, including parts never crossed the $1,600 mark

The only features it lacks are cruise control, bluetooth connectivity and rear view cameras, all of which are memes for braindead stacy's occupied with their phones.

That the Celica makes for a sporty daily that handles well.

unless you are incredibly lonely, a coupe cant make a good daily, especially celica which fits gnomes at most in its back seats

>girlfriend likes riding along with me, likes flying through the togay at 80mph, says it feels like a rollercoaster
>don't have kids, so no problem with seating
>both of us have fully functional joints so getting in and out of the relatively low car isn't hard

You are right about the back seats being designed for gnomes, but, again, I don't have to deal with it because I don't have kids or a reason to put anyone back there. If I'm going out with friends we always meet up somewhere/go to their place.

dont you ever go on longer vacations with her?
i cant really belive celica can fit that much cargo

I once moved a 55inch television in the back.
On a second trip I moved the small entertainment system and several boxes of games and movies.

ok, you got me there, didnt know about the back seats being able to fold down, so if its just the two of you then its fine
but if you had kids or needed to haul a pack of friend you would be screwed, so i still cant see a reason to buy a celica over some hatch if its not awd version

I guess it is just me being autistic. I do agree the celica is a sporty car, not a sports car. Like civics or hot hatches. They are fun but compromised.

I initially bought the car because I needed to replace the 2003 Kia Spectra I had which had thrown a rod. I had about $1,500 saved and was about to buy another shitbox (I was eyeing a 5 speed civic) but my friend contacted me and explained that he had a buddy selling a 1997 Celica for $1,000. Figured it was probably a complete shitpile, but since his house was 5 minutes away I figured there was no harm in looking. The paint was trashed but the interior was nearly perfect and the engine was healthy, had no broken/notchy gears, and other than a few dents from rocks it was free of body damage. Figuring it was in better condition than the Civic and probably handled better, I bought it. It wasn't until I went to work with it (I pass through the togay everyday to get to work) that I noticed that, unlike my shitbox Spectra, I could actually do the speed limit without excessive body roll. Fast forward 2 years and I want something rwd, a bit more horsepower, but still manual. That's when I bought a 350z and relegated the Celica to my reliable daily and the 350z as my fun car.

I agree, the Celica doesn't compare to a proper rwd sports car, but I bought the car out of necessity and it was a tier above a used Civic in terms of looks/handling. It's definitely not the fastest fwd hatch you can buy, or the best handling, especially compared to modern hatches, but for a car made in 1997 it handles quite well.

which engine do you have in the celica ?
im in a similiar situation right now, cant decide between a civic and celica

1.8 liter Toyota 7A-FE, rated for 115hp.
The GT versions came with a 140hp 2.2 liter 5S-FE.

oh its totally diffrent in europe then
here the gt is a 2.0, 170hp 3s-ge and thats the one im thinking about

>tfw take part of a time attack on a track tighter than touge
>my MR handles its effordleslly
>watch a fwd celica snap oversteer at the same hairpin every time and spin out
>come on anonymous webcomic discussion board
>see people claiming FF best layout ever because they can't afford rwd
nothing wrong with ff but its the worst layout in every way other than weight savings

>tfw america gets shitty versions of jap cars
>tfw america gets shitty versions of euro cars
>tfw america gets shitty versions of american cars since they get no ford puma, fost, good versions of focuses or fiestas
>pretend its fine since an automatic v8 is all that matters in a car
I'm glad i dont live in a shithole like that

>I'm glad i dont live in a shithole like that
atleast the car culture has some decency
in my shithole, 90% of car meets are mainly bmw or vag (second wouldnt be that bad if 80% of that wasnt just golfs and old audis)

>>tfw america gets shitty versions of american cars since they get no ford puma, fost, good versions of focuses or fiestas
With the exception of the Puma the US has all of those

>tfw you like ford but the only """decent""" ones you can buy are mk6 fiesta st and old sierras

Why would car makers bother with making different cars ? I don't see how this is cost effective.

You can turn a 5sfe into a 5sge if you bolt on a 3sge head.

where we at were the only big jap cars group and rest of them are bimmers, vagshit and some jap cars here there. At least meets are weekly with over 100 cars and everyone races

there was age of shitposting where americans were sour grapes over not getting ST and RS

because americucks have shit taste in cars

I'm not asking about this user. Why would they do different cars if it's the same model ? Different safety standards ?

just cause I see a wing on f1 car doesn't mean I understand how it works
Id be interested in finding out too

California has stricter safety and emission standards than most of world, and most cars sold in the US are to California spec so they can sell in any state. Even federal regulations are stricter than you would expect. Now that all of the auto industry has been mostly globalized, this is going away as it is easier to just make one type of car. This is only official regulations. There also probably underhand deals with insurance companies; they're more powerful then you think.

Front wheel drive? Uh uh. It's Funwheel drive

haha xd'd

Funny, I went from a celica to a MKIV as well and I much prefer the supra. The celica was great but I kind didn't like driving a car that was slower than it looked.

why so much hate on celica but not eclipse?
literally one of the least unreliable cars, celica atleast is from toyota

eclipse atleast has some potential with 4g63, even if fwd and objectivly looks way better
celica on the other hand will always be slow

This is Veeky Forums, they hate everything. I thought my celica was great, but I wanted a change.

Veeky Forums doesn't care about the eclipse. If you make a thread about, everyone will tell you it is Mitsubishi reliability. There is no disagreement in its status as junk you can make go fast.

No meme but the supra is 100x better with a LS3 in it
>LS3 weighs less
>weight is back towards the centre
>makes power everywhere

it's the best package for it, 2J is ok but LS3 is best.

I own the AWD one.

It is good.

>tfw the lowest 2 models come with an passenger side engine, the turbo fwd version requires a entire donor awd car to be converted, and all of the convertible models are incompatible with awd
Why did they do this I just wanted to slap a driveshaft and differential on my GST
Also the NA versions of the eclipse are a lot more reliable/fuel efficient, and have a completely different engine and transmission so AWD is basically impossible

that's not an integra

It's basically an integra except shit and not worth modifying.

The AWD Celica is the main one if you live in a nice country.

And guess how many people here do track... this board is just full of simfags that dont do anything with their car, if they even have one.

>what is even the point of these existing in fwd version?
You can get these sweet cars as a poor fag and daily them

cheap
next

Or you can turbo the 420a easily since it's the 2.0 DOHC ECC Neon engine with the ports flipped, and the head design is the same as the SRT4s

>420a
>not the superior 4g63

>Superior
>factory lathe fucks up and causes biggest meme of automotive industry
Yeah, nothing like that happened with the ECC/420a, so no, it's not superior

DELET

420a is a meme, you can turn 4g63 into a monster

And you can turn the 420a into a monster
Why won't you just shut up and admit that the eclipse was fortunately blessed with good engines?

generally the eclipse was pretty good, but i honestly think that 4g63 is better than 420a,

Only because the 420a wasn't hyped by fan boys, they looked at it subjectively like "eww it's a Chrysler motor" without realizing that it's a higher revving version of the SRT-4 engine, look into it because it has the same pent-roof design in the combustion Chambers, same everything and the only difference is the exhaust ports for the head are in the front
So since its pretty much a 2.0L Neon engine, why can't it be making the same power as a 4G63 without the crankwalk?

the 4g63 takes higher boost better, parts are cheaper and more common so modifying it is easier

Envious. I wanted to get one but they're all overpriced and torn to shit by boyracers

i want a fucking mitsubishi so bad but theyre all raped i can't find a single one unraped with an appropriate price where i live

>renault hot hatch
>shitbox
how dare you insult god's own car

>shitty versions of american cars since they get no ford puma, fost, good versions of focuses or fiestas
those are european though

Thats a good point, car looks like it should have some guts, but it really didnt.

Maybe I havent given the supra enough time yet, I havent had a good chance to drive it yet. Only redlined once!

tfw it its in the shop getting 3k of suspension work done :L