How did the krauts manage to make an engine bay look intimidating?

How did the krauts manage to make an engine bay look intimidating?

Other urls found in this thread:

f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1235095&d=1435559994
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

by making it a fucking bitch to work on yourself

Where the hell is the engine? I only see some metal boxes, plastic pipes and covers. It is no better than covering it all up like some manufacturers do if you cannot see the engine itself at all.

why are there spark plugs in the strut tower?

Likely active something something suspension

It's a daunting task to yourself and your wallet to work on

Because that's where the gas goes.

Looks like a robot with bendy straw arms and twin towers feet

In terms of sheer looks, I prefer pic related.

It's not just krauts that are designing engines to "look impressive" when the hood is raised. That seems to sell cars and also pleases some reviewers. Unfortunately, to make it pretty or symmetrical on top, the engine gets buried or components such as the water pump, alternator, and A/C compressor are moved to locations that are difficult to service.

Considering that German cars spend most of their lives with the hood up, they better at least look good while doing so.

>Considering that German cars spend most of their lives with the hood u
does anyone actually believe that?

not much to see under there user just the cats

Mine sure as hell did. I don’t even remember what my 540 looked like with the hood down. My E12 had that sweet front hinged hood and that cool aluminum intake manifold that really added a touch of class to the garage too.

im mentally retarded.. i dont know what those boxes are in front of the engine.. they look connected to the intake, is that the turbo?

what the fuck man.

Are they trying to get the exhaust as close to the intake as possible? I can see like 5 things ready to fail before 20k miles.

Ah, so thats why the Lexus engines looks like this, because they are easy to maintain.

the engine has been around since 2011 and has proven to be a reliable workhorse.

>Turbocharged petrol
>Workhorse
Choose one

Those are heat exchangers, I believe. For cooling the compressed air from the turbos before it reaches the intake.

called intercoolers.

Or aftercooler, or heat exchangers. Why try to correct an user who was right?

heat exchanger is a general term.

And needed correcting because....

f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1235095&d=1435559994 (see p.63)
Yes, though most people think "air-to-air" when saying "intercooler", this one is air-to-liquid.

because the more you know?

next time someone goes "whats this car" respond with "its a car!" and see how ya go

More accurately, someone might say what's that box and user says it's a car, it's for transporting people and consumes fuel to produce power. user didn't give a 2 word answer, he accurately described said boxes.

yeah, and next time he can say intercooler instead of saying "Those are heat exchangers, I believe. For cooling the compressed air from the turbos before it reaches the intake."

And which do you think is going to give clueless user more of a picture of what the boxes are?

I'd be intimidated by that if I was a mechanic.

Hey guys, no offense taken. I wasn't sure whether you'd say intercooler if it's air-to-liquid. So I thought "heat exchanger" might be the more general term.
English is not my mother tongue.

The real question is .
How the fuck do burgers get intimidated by an engine bay?!
Is everything about appearance with you guys or what?

This

superior engineering