When did you grow out of being interested in fixing up, or modifying cars?

When did you grow out of being interested in fixing up, or modifying cars?

In my teenage years I never understood why people liked new sports cars because they seemed boring. After going through modifying with new turbos, engine rebuilds etc, and repairing old shitboxes it got old quickly. Old cars will never (aside from a very small minority of exotics) are really ever worth keeping. Yes that includes your S13s, RX7's, AW11s, non M3 E30s, the list goes on. If you have to ask, your most likely in that group. It seems like it is done as a coping mechanism by young, dumb, financially irresponsible or poor people.

Like most professionals cars like BMW M's, 911's, AMG's and newer R35 GTR's are far more appealing than I ever thought they would be. After driving the new M4, I don't know how anyone could want something like an R34 GTR. They just don't compare (unless you are looking for cool points on the internet).

When I tried fixing one up. Now I just want a car that fucking works.

I haven't and hope I never do. The mechanical aspect of a car has always been my favourite part of them and the hobby of restoring and modifying cars has, for me at least, become a way of putting in time to create something more than the sum of it's parts.

The counter argument to that is modern cars have far greater levels of engineering than that of in the past, and are far more capable all round in what they do.

I've never really been into heavily modding cars, I appreciate it and I don't begrudge anyone for doing it but it's not my thing.
The closest I got was tweaking my old Beetle with a few aftermarket upgrades to make it more DD friendly.
Someday maybe I'll do a more in-depth restomod on something, but at this point in my life I can't really justify a project car.

hence why nobody likes them

As I said, I'm not really as much of a driving enthusiast as I am a mechanics enthusiast. Getting a few friends and family together, having some beers and working on cars has been a far comfier outlet for me than video games was.

I cant help but to feel that cars have souls so i dont think its possible for me to get rid of a car because i know i will take the time to keep it on the road. Modern or classic i want to keep it alive and running well into the future. I would only give up a car when it is completely destroyed in a fire or accident

I literally only buy cars for their looks. It's easier to make something slow fast than it is to make something ugly pretty. In that regard, I think car design was better in the past, or at least had more beautiful and affordable cars.

Age gets too much credit. You don't become a better person simply with age

I don't want my car to have a gaudy plastic interior with a cheap chink iPad slapped on the dash.

When I got a job and was able to buy nice cars that are already good from the factory.

Its a hobby, no one ever said it was the best.

If it becomes a tax or a task to you and not something you want to do then dont thats not a hobby thats a chore

For example if you enjoy woodworking sure you can go buy some wood platform from ikea and be like everyone else with there new sturdy lighter reliable desk or whatever furniture you like

Or you can go out cut and craft and build something that you want no one has to tell you how its done something that you like something thats you and the first couple pieces might not be that great but once youve gotten the knack and picked up some knowledge you have something you can be proud of

No one has to understand it or even like it everyone has there own taste.

For the prcie of an M4 I can get a foxbody with sick mods

I modify cars because I literally have nothing else to do. My life is pretty boring.

ALL THIS GENERALIZATION ITT lmao

There are so many dudes that are 40+ years old that still modify cars. (fyi plastidipping parts isnt modifying) but let's be honest, if you "grow out" of modifying cars then it never was really for you.

>After driving the new M4, I don't know how anyone could want something like an R34 GTR. They just don't compare (unless you are looking for cool points on the internet).

If you really thought people only like the R34 GT-R for "internet points" than chances are you were one of those people. Speak your own truth dawg.

you think big companies like GReddy spends hundreds of thousands of dollars manufacturing parts for a 20 yr old car like this for "internet points" lol. Fuckin idiot.

so you grew up into a lazy badgewhoring fag. neat.

I completely get the buy stock and enjoy it mentality, I just wish I could have the new car performance and reliability without microscopic windows, overboosted EPS, far too much sound insulation, touchscreens, etc. I don't really have crazy plans for cars, more just removing shackles and fixing mistakes, but I can totally see getting burnt out if you turn too many cars into total racecars.

Slapping ebay parts on a car and hoping it works isn't really modifying, it's being an idiot.

lmao this. OP doesn't realize that he never actually liked cars to begin with.

Dudes a scrub. He has a very black and white way of looking @ things.

"I'm a grown man so I can't have cool stuff"

I'm mean if you have a family to take care of, then fuck off and do your thing but don't try to push your wack ass opinion on everyone else.

>I just turned 21: the post

>I cant help but to feel that cars have souls
Do cars have souls, Veeky Forums?

modding cars is retarded and is done by idiots who ruin their resale value

No, but you should appease the machine spirits.

What are machine spirits?

Not everybody cares about resale values.

I'm willing to bet you have never owned a car that had any resale "value" that was worthy of saving to begin with.

But I digress.

this.

Can't ruin your resale value if you bought at peak depreciation

I love the aesthetic of that photo. Larry Chen truly is a god

Joke on you my car is worth nothing.

>foxbody
>value
sure thing kid

god damn right Larry Chen is THAT nigga

what does the foxbody have to do with anything? I dont own one nor care about it. But nice trying to change the topic.

Like I said you haven't owned anything of worth.

WH40K thing mostly used as a mechanical meme. The idea is that most components have some spirit in-universe and thus ensuring that they're "happy" is equally crucial to machine function as well as maintenance. So doing a seance before turning on a computer isn't mechanically required, but needed for the spirits. Can be joked about with cars in that fixing something unrelated to the suspension can also solve a bad noise while driving over bumps etc as you've kept the car happy by paying attention to it.
Some of the rarer ones like a CHP special are starting to become worth something, all of the disposable ones are being used up. The 94-99 cars are their replacement.
While that one is cool, I think it's also an example of a car that's a bit over done. In the pursuit of handling, it's given up a lot of creature comfort and ate money as it was all shop-assembled. If I were in his shoes I would have skipped the half-cage and some of the interior bracing, gone softer with the bushings, and made sure I had a good resonator setup.

>Air filters literally right behind tires
Yeah, the pipe angle looks cool, but this is not well thought out.

Why are you focusing on the car I posted. This is a car board so I posted a car.

the picture is unrelated to the post at all.

9 months ago bought my first cheap car.
kept fixing and working on it every weekend
sold it 2 months ago after getting fed up
bought brand new car, i intend to keep it boring stock
im 23

Hope she's still running along. Smog test is coming up on this rotary

I appreciate refined well engineered cars. Never have a ridden in a modified car that seemed completely put together, there's always a story. Haven't ridden in a Singer Porsche in saying that.

Huh? I was thrown the keys to an M4 and really made me wonder why people online with no experience with the R34 circle jerk it so much compared to my car. Most people who seem to purchase R34s, or any GTR derivative seem to love e-whoring them, especially americans. I cringe every time you see a video where they herald it as one of the best cars ever.

Companies like Trust-Greddy spend hundred of thousands to manufacture parts, and then make millions from selling them. Its hardly altruistic you melon.

Never liked cars? What? Your posting near carbon copy images of one of my cars and telling me what I am. Jesus, you are literally one of the people im talking about in the OP. I sincerely hope you have at least ridden in an R34 GTR if not owned one if you come in to defend it so much. I've done the whole modify old cars theme. I wish I had kept most of them stock, GTR, FD and Evo's included. Old shitbox enthusaists hate new cars and talk about depreciation, while pouring money into new computers, turbochargers and engine rebuilds simultaneously.

Awesome to see its still running. Thanks for posting that up.

beautiful bait, op
at least i hope so, because if you are serious then i'm sorry for you, must be hard living with 10 year old mentality

When my time became worth more Than my cousin's, who is a damn better mechanic than I will ever be's, time.

Maybe a different point, but by around my early 20s I had come to my senses that restoration>modification.

For example, I'd keep that RX-7 OP posted as clean and close to factory spec as possible. If I was 17 and handed that thing I'd ruin it.

This feel
I felt so bad when I let my 98 go to the wreckers when I couldn’t justify repairing it anymore, had it for like 9 years

When i got my first motorccycle. After that, 4 wheel transport became just basic utilitarian transport.

looks like OP touched a nerve

That's hard to believe, especially when there are tons and tons of morons on CL literally every fucking day listing their fucked to shit modded cars for ridiculous price tags and listing all the mods it has, as if anyone wants to buy a stanced out shitbox that has god knows what wrong with it

Fixing up cars and maintaining/working on cars is literally one of the dumbest fucking things you can ever spend your time or money on. There are simply far too many amazing vehicles that can be leased for peanuts these days.

You should lease a new car every 3 years with the minimum down payment possible, do minimum required maintenance from a cheap 3rd party shop, then get a new car at the end of the lease.

Spend all that time and money you saved on your education and career. Go here: www.edx.org

I just helped everyone on this entire board drastically improve their future if you're smart enough to listen to me and smart enough to ignore most retards on this site.

Yeah right fucking faggot I'm not clicking that fucking shit that's a virus, nice try though haha fucking pussy bitch fucking kill yourself faggot

patrician

lol triggered

there is a fender liner that covers the tire.
did you also not notice that the entire rear valence was removed?

I like modifying older cars because that's what I can afford at the moment. It's fun to try and push as much power as I can on a budget. It's fun because that's what I have, and it's a phase in life, like many things. When and if I get a USD60k+ job, I'll definitely look at more performance oriented new cars.
For now, I make $11.50 and commission if I'm lucky, so I'll have to stick with modifying my shitbox. It's not ideal, but you make the best of what you do with yourself. Of course, I'll still have a shitbox I can modify and do crazy things to, but ultimately when I can afford a new sports/performance car, I'll be more inclined to drive that.

Lmao fuck of Veeky Forums
Spending money on things you like is normal
Making money to enjoy having money is fucking pointless

>When did you grow out of being interested in fixing up, or modifying cars?
when I had to beat on a ball joint with a pickle fork+hammer for 5 hours just to end up using a torch

t. CLA200 owner

Having a shitty, unenjoyable car that I have to fix has damn near killed any joy I ever found in this hobby. I still won't get near a new car, but I've learned the only good thing about shitboxes is unapologetically beating the piss out of them.

this тбн фaм

Some of us are not performance/driving enthusiasts. We just like the look and feel of more old-fashioned cars and we like driving a rare vehicle that you don't see on the road often. Rebuilding your own car gives you the satisfaction of knowing that you have a good understanding of how it works and it gives you the confidence to do more invasive/extreme modification on future projects. You also meet some great people along the way as you hunt for parts and join discussion groups.

I'm 100% happy with not driving on a race circuit. For me, I'd rather spend that money on parts or enjoying some other thing.

"Stop liking what I don't like", The Thread.

just because your wife cucked you and made you get rid of your c5 for an suv doesnt mean we're bending over backwards faggots like you

>e-whoring them, especially americans.

>car that was never sold in North America intially and then gained a bit of mainstream poularity through a a couple big Hollywood movies
>and you wonder why people have a hard on for them

yeah you're dumb as fuck and have never owned a GT-R you lying ass bitch.

Started when i was 14. Owned, flipped, sold, Built, rebuilt, modified, restored over 30 vehicles. Im 24 now, and no signs of slowing down. Just finishing up a resto on a 79 f150, fixing up a 91 ranger that I dd, and currently have 17 vehicles that I'm parting out/scrapping

Once I got a decent paying full time job and didn't have the time, energy or patience to keep fixing old shitboxes
I'll still do stuff like oil changes and other maintenance, but fuck bigger, time consuming jobs

I always liked cars, but as dumb and generic as it sounds Initial D made me excited about car ownership when I was a teenager. I also think the Gran Turismo series made me more aware of terminology. But more recently I realized that my car is my only real comfort and personal space.

woops. I didn't read the OP clearly. Pardon me, I'm retarded

I havent yet. I'm still new to this hobby, so working on my first shitbox hasn't lost the appeal. For me, even though I could buy a new and better car within a week, I still feel my current shitbox has so much potential. Maybe I'll drive it for 6 month or less when it's running. Maybe I'll hold onto it for the next 2 years and just do stupid meme shit tonit to see how far I can push it. Who knows? But I'm having a lot of fun, and learning in a way where if I fuck up it probably isn't too expensive.