Any reason why I shouldn't buy a focus rs for $30k? What alternatives would you suggest

Any reason why I shouldn't buy a focus rs for $30k? What alternatives would you suggest

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nan3LURIq3k
youtube.com/watch?v=CuGodKdRLpE
youtube.com/watch?v=bPRsreUYcog
youtube.com/watch?v=CwykUV9bed0
youtube.com/watch?v=BnQP95aVv04
youtube.com/watch?v=dKziKX9SZ7I
youtube.com/watch?v=e1IQ5oVP3dY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>needs a new engine every 20,000 miles

Wasn't this just an issue with a small number of focus's having the wrong head gasket installed?

youtube.com/watch?v=Nan3LURIq3k

Sure, spend $30k on a ford. What could go wrong?

Insurance costs.

Fugly

yeah but the meme will never die

Nope.

Engine blocks were cracking because the block they were putting in them didn't have the proper reinforcement for the pressure the turbo was producing.

I'm not even sure if Ford changed the blocks or just designed whole new ones. But I heard a rumor they just put on a lighter head gasket so that would blow before the engine block itself.

The most obvious one would be the Golf R, but I doubt you'll find that anywhere near 30K.

>Any reason why I shouldn't buy a focus rs for $30k? What alternatives would you suggest

Because you would be paying Thirty Thousand American Dollars to own a fucking ford focus. What the fuck user

Absolutely don't listen to 18774508, he has no clue what he's talking about.
Yes, some '16-17' models had mustang headgaskets, so they issued a recall to have them replaced. There's been no reported issues in engine reliability besides that.
If you can find a NEW RS for that price, then definitely jump on it. If it's used you could get it for less. There's really no alternative for $30k. STI, Golf and Type R are all more expensive and either as fast or slower, with varying levels of interior quality and appearance. The only other thing you could consider would be the EBM, it's cheaper but less roomy and it's almost as quick with a Ford Racing tune.

The biggest problem with the Mustang is that it's a Mustang. I wonder if they realize in hindsight how much they fucked up by not making a new car for it. It could've been there same frame, engine, everything, but with a slightly lighter slightly shorter body, maybe a slightly shorter wheelbase, and bam, it's the perfect car. They could've made a NA base model for like $23k with the turbo option for $28k and stolen what little sales there was to steal from the Miata and BRZ completely.

Correct^
Incorrect^
See: youtube.com/watch?v=CuGodKdRLpE

>Any reason why I shouldn't buy a focus rs for $30k? What alternatives would you suggest
The rear differential sucks ass, as does the interior. Not to mention AWD is a meme.

Buy a Civic Type R

>The EcoBoost Mustang Block is known to crank on the rear side between the stud holes when making high horsepower (usually above 500hp with forged internals)
Try harder. This didn't even deserve the response I gave it.

>FWD
be serious.

AWD must be a damn good meme then if the RS and the Type R have the same specific power but the Civic is over a half second slower to 60.

Golf R

i30N

Or just keep on selling 80k units a year, and forget about the 8k the 86 can muster. What a fucking idiot

I am. The Integra type R was FWD, doesn't make it a bad car.

And yet the Civic is still faster on the track

Its ford

>implying anyone is taking their RS to the track and not exclusively doing ricer fly bys on Honda Soyvics

Bet you can't source sales figures by trim level though. The GT has been the big seller in recent years with the V6 still outdoing the i4, but this information is just according to articles. However, Mustang sales figures overall are trending downwards compared to other years since the removal of the V6 option. By introducing a new model, they could have kept the V6 option on the Mustang, keeping that crowd that they've apparently now lost, they would've kept the Ecoboost Mustang crowd who would've bought it either way, and they could've taken a percentage of the ND/FRS crowd who wanted more power.
In short; 3 cars sells better than 2.

>I base my purchasing decisions on how well a professional race car driver drove around a track I'll never see in my life

wrx (sti) only choice.

Ever heard of benchmarking?

t. someone who has never driven a 2012+ STI

Doesn't make it any less irrelevant.
Hey which one has a higher top speed? It doesn't matter because I'll never be able to go over 100.
But do you know how often I can launch? Like whenever I feel like it.

I was thinking about golf r but they're impossible to find for 30 k
Civic type r looks like it was designed by and for 12 year olds. At least the rs looks like its for 17 year olds.
If they still made a wagon/hatch I would think about it.

86 sales have trended downwards in the same era, so I'm not sure that comparison is accurate.

except i bought 2018 sti... nice try.

RS is bought by wealthier and older customers than you might think.

i found a red 2017 golf r yesterday for 32k with 8100 miles.. clean title

FUCKIN RED though.. not even once

late twenty something post military bros.. lol

So it doesnt matter if the Civic handles better?

Who the hell buys a hot hatch so they can drag race from 0-60 all the time?

169k average income, although Ford says it's not statistically significant, the 108k for the ST is.

I think that's because that market is just naturally small and the people who wanted it have it by now. The theoretical Ford would also be experiencing dwindling figures but those figures would've been higher than the turbostang's.

I'm sorry for your loss. Could've at least got a 2019.

According to you, naturally.

>So it doesnt matter if the Civic handles better?
No, not even a little bit. Track times are a retarded metric because they only measure 10/10 driving. No one that's buying a car in this class will ever drive it at 10/10. Part is due to a lack of skill but part of it is due to want of not crashing your car. At normal person levels, you'll push it to maybe 6/10 on the road, 7/10 at a track, where the lap times would likely be identical considering there's barely a difference anyway even in the hands of professionals. The main difference is in the Focus you could celebrate by doing donuts in a parking lot.

>The main difference is in the Focus you could celebrate by doing donuts in a parking lot.
And then you overheat your differential and have to turn off the car until it cools down. That's a neat trick.

You are delirious if you think that Focus RS owners don't track their cars.

All that aside, the Civic weighs less, handles better, is cheaper, and has a much better interior. Enjoy your 'drift' mode.

>And then you overheat your differential and have to turn off the car until it cools down. That's a neat trick.
How many donuts could the Civic do before the rear diff overheated? Oh, none? Right because it's wrong wheel drive.
>You are delirious if you think that Focus RS owners don't track their cars.
Literally never said that.
>All that aside, the Civic weighs less, handles better, is cheaper, and has a much better interior. Enjoy your 'drift' mode.
Well first off it's not cheaper but none of the rest of that matters because the RS is more fun.
>inb4 hurr durr the RS costs $41k

Nope.

only the RS is boosted, hence why they don't need to reach the high horsepower range to crack.

>How many donuts could the Civic do before the rear diff overheated? Oh, none? Right because it's wrong wheel drive.
FWD cars can do donuts

youtube.com/watch?v=bPRsreUYcog

>only the RS is boosted
you mean the eco...boost mustang isn't... boosted?

The Focus RS isn't even a real AWD car, its retrofitted with that On-Demand AWD that only kicks in when you lose traction. For all intents and purposes its FWD

Hey OP you shouldn't buy it because apparently someone boosted their mustang to almost twice the stock horsepower and cracked their engine block. And if course, as we all know, most cars are capable of handling twice their factory hp with no problems whatsoever.

for all intents and purposes, All of the Wheels can be Driven, this making it All Wheel Drive. What percentage of the power can the Civic push to the rear wheels?

who fucking cares what a civic can do, the Focus RS is literally on par with every other nanny mobile calling themselves AWD when they never are actually AWD. Supposedly the focus can do "up to" 70% to the rear but it never actually does unless you somehow lose traction on both front tires SOMEHOW

>fake AWD meme
How to spot a retard.

>its REAL awd I swear
>stays in FWD mode 99% of the time

Why would you want to buy an overpriced, retrofitted Focus ST?

If you can't pull the front driveshafts out and continue to haul ass it's not real AWD. That's not happening anytime soon with a transverse awd setup.

To be fair, I have an RS and I'm not military.
I'm a meme software dev

>who fucking cares what a civic can do
I don't know, maybe the guy comparing it to the Civic?
There's no way of telling how much power is being applied to each wheel at any time. It diverts power where the power needs to be when it needs to be there. In instances where being 100% fwd is advantageous, like highway driving, then it's fwd, which is why it gets better fuel economy than something like the STI.

This, I'm sick of manufacturers putting in fake AWD shit thats really FWD and the AWD system NEVER kicks in when you want it, only when it "feels like you need it"

This is why quattro was so amazing, this is why subaru keeps doing what its doing. True AWD systems power All the wheels all the time.

>It's not REAL awd. It doesn't fit my arbitrary definition of what awd means so it doesn't count.

get a FiST and a few simple mods

Subaru should probably start doing something different because it gets outclassed by the RS in every single quantifiable category.

maybe I'm not the retard comparing it to another car? You ever think of that? theres 24 other posters in this thread you know.
>There's no way of telling how much power is being applied to each wheel at any time. It diverts power where the power needs to be when it needs to be there.
No it only diverts power to other wheels if the front two wheels lose traction. Even its torque vectoring bullshit won't kick in unless it detects traction loss.

the focus RS is 5k more than an STI and the RS has a completely different suspension system. The RS suspension is completely overdampened making daily driving a bitch when you feel literally every single bump

>True AWD systems power All the wheels all the time.

While that's better than a fwd biased on demand system it's just asking for understeer in most cases. A proper awd system should be rwd only or with a heavy rwd bias with only a little bit of power going to the fronts seamlessly.

Yeah Nah. That's the way it should be. Fuck off with your crossover tier bullshit.

>While that's better than a fwd biased on demand system it's just asking for understeer in most cases.
any over or understeer is purely a suspension set up. Drive train has little to do with it.

"A true one should be RWD biased"
fuck that its completely arbitrary, when real AWD cars came around they powered all the wheels all the time like Quattro did

>maybe I'm not the retard comparing it to another car? You ever think of that?
You think maybe I don't care? You butted into a discussion that was comparing the RS to the Civic so don't be surprised when the RS got compared to the Civic.
>No it only diverts power to other wheels if the front two wheels lose traction. Even its torque vectoring bullshit won't kick in unless it detects traction loss.
You're thinking of Haldex. The RS has dynamic torque vectoring, or torque vectoring by braking, so it starts adjusting power distribution BEFORE slip occurs.
Honestly go read up on it, it's a better system than you think it is. Even if you want to reply to me with a shitpost to save face, at least go read about it because it's something worth knowing for future reference.

Dude please tell me where you live where they sell STIs for $31k brand new, really tell me because I'll actually go buy one.

>The RS has dynamic torque vectoring, or torque vectoring by braking, so it starts adjusting power distribution BEFORE slip occurs.
Who fucking cares, its a retrofitted FWD car, it is still 99% of the time in FWD mode.

Ford Focus RS's start at 41k, the STI's are 35

Wrong. The RS2 package is $41k, the base model is $35k. It's just that the 2018 model is only available with the RS2 package.

The front tires only have a limited amount of traction available which is mostly taken up by braking and steering traction. Adding power into that mix eats away at your available traction more. That's why FWD's understeer like pigs most the time and especially when you keep the brakes locked in a turn. That's why the fastest and best handling cars on the planet don't have power going to the front wheels.

Early Quattro cars still understeered badly.

Then you can't get a 2017 version anymore, the 2018's are already out, any residual 2017's are wholesaled. Sure you can just get an old one new but as time goes on that isn't going to be the case.

>Gets proven wrong
>buhbuhbuh who cares hurr
There's the face saving shitpost, so he's probably researching right now too. Of course he'll still respond again with another shitpost because if there's one thing autistic people can't do, it's walk away from an internet argument.

>The front tires only have a limited amount of traction available which is mostly taken up by braking and steering traction.
What the fuck is this nonsense, traction isn't some kind of resource you have to spend here and there and then you're all out.

>thats why FWD understeers
No, FWD understeers because understeering is simply a car turning LESS than expected caused by the suspensions applying the tire to the ground. FWD cares can oversteer, FWD cars can drift, RWD cars can understeer easily because of suspension set ups.

Here, a FWD car oversteering in a controlled way AKA drifting
youtube.com/watch?v=CwykUV9bed0
>gets proven wrong
nothing was wrong, all fake AWD systems are reactive, not proactive or predictive

>Well first off it's not cheaper but none of the rest of that matters because the RS is more fun.
Be honest, have you driven either car?

> That's why the fastest and best handling cars on the planet don't have power going to the front wheels.
Some of the fastest production cars in the world are AWD.

>rwd is faster than fwd
youtube.com/watch?v=BnQP95aVv04

I have and I bought the RS because it was more fun. I really wanted to like the Type R, mostly because I'm a big weeaboo, I also really wanted the STI, but when you're driving them and you forget about the badges and you forget about the heritages, the RS is just a more fun car to be in.

buy a 2013 forester xt for 17-20k and put 4k into it and call it a day

10x3k civic

>FWD cars can drift
I stopped there. You're not worth my time. Brush up on your physics first.

F1 cars... RWD
Hillclimb cars...RWD
The fastest accelerating cars on the planet...RWD

Production AWD cars are just 0-60 marketing meme machines. Even then most track records are held by RWD production cars. *coughVIRcough*

>I stopped there
What is oversteer?
>the propensity of a car to turn more than expected
Can FWD cars oversteer?
>yes
What is drifting?
>controlled oversteer
FWD cars can drift. my video proves it the car drifts around the track with no problem

youtube.com/watch?v=dKziKX9SZ7I

Heres another FWD car drifting

inb4
>that doesn't count because I said so

That's not drifting kid.... I """""""drift"""""" my fwd and I'm not delusional enough to call it real drifting. Are you going to post a lunch tray drifting video next, faggot?

called it

I have a focus with a retrofitted AWD system (escape) and it definitely kicks on more than 1% of the time. Just about any time I take off from a start, it sends power to the rear. The shitposter probably thinks AWD is still like the 90s or something.

Okay. Show me a professional fwd drift car... Show me somebody who won a Formula Drift competition with a fwd. I'll wait. I'm guessing you're a bus rider or somebody retarded enough to spend $25k+ on a """""""sporty"""" fwd.

>everytime I take off it sends power to the rear
no it doesn't, only if your fronts lose traction. Its literally the same shit in every fucking SUV and CUV today

lmfao learn to drive

>ford escape driver
>knowing how to drive

Pls. The guy is either not white or a 60+ year old lady.

>you can't do any of that because some arbitration where a car has to win some competition in order for it to be real.

So you didn't watch the video because its showing Tao Hideto who is a professional racer drifting in a FWD car.

This is literally laptime and spec sheet tier logic. They literally don't mean shit

What part of swinging out the ass end on a fwd around a gokart track is not drifting do you not understand?

The Huracan and both GTRs, aka three of the fastest production cars ever around the nurburgring that are awd, would like to have a word with you.

What part of drifting is just a controlled oversteer don't you understand? It has little to do with the drive train and far more to do with the suspension set up, the rear wheels have nearly positive camber, the front have negative camber and higher toe so they can get the ass out easier. Every drift car is set up the same, they want to lose traction on the rear but maintain it in the front.

You can keep autisticly screaming how FWD can't drift because you have some retarded stereotype that it has something to do with the drive train and I'll keep posting videos of FWD cars drifting all day long.

youtube.com/watch?v=e1IQ5oVP3dY

Heres another from the same guy drifting in his honda civic ef3

>swinging out the ass end
Thats literally drifting, thats exactly what RWD cars do.

That's because they're proper awd systems with a rwd bias. Note how shitty transverse haldex type setups don't even come close and get beat by rwd's?

>What part of drifting is just a controlled oversteer don't you understand?

You can't control the fucking oversteer on a fwd like you can with a rwd. The rear end will swing back when it fucking wants to.

Except they can actually control the rear wheels. Seriously guys this is basic science.

>You can't control the fucking oversteer on a fwd like you can with a rwd.
really? because in every video I've posted the driver has full control of his drift all the way around the track
>when it fucking wants to
when the driver chooses to end his drift till the next turn.
>Except they can actually control the rear wheels.
Not really, their drift and angle of attack on a turn is entirely based on speed. While their wheels are spinning or moving laterally they're under the influence of kinetic friction and not static. This means they use the front to steer their car around a turn while maintaining the oversteer through said turn because the front wheels are under the influence of static friction. You seem to lack a basic understanding of physics

>That's because they're proper awd systems with a rwd bias.
Oh dang he had them portable goalposts.

>The Huracan and both GTRs, aka three of the fastest production cars ever around the nurburgring
But the aren't.

oops miss-read that. nvm

So which is it? Bus rider or do you actually drive a fwd? Feel free to not answer. It's blatantly clear.