Explain

Other urls found in this thread:

avl.com/-/avl-hyper-200-concept-engine
youtube.com/watch?v=-jUpmOAQgeQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> sports cars
>automatic only
You answered your own question.

Because automatics are faster and you Europeans love your fucking "flappy paddles" which is kinda ironic. It's already slower than a V6 pony car, a manual would make it even worse.

sportcars are about driving

Sports cars are about speed and manuals are slow.

Race cars are about speed. Sports cars are about feel.

bingo

They're performance cars not old Honda Civics, they don't need manual.

I'm pretty sure even Alfa regrets not making a manual 4C. The Alpine looks like it will be more of a luxury thing, though, so it might not need it as much. And of course, you can always but a Lotus.

A Lotus costs almost $35,000 more than the 4C.

Typically the goal behind a sport is to win, so no. A sportscar and a racecar are the same thing because racing is a sport.

dumbest thing i've read all day

It wasn't the thread about front plates?

>To be this ignorant of a supposed hobby.

Sports car as a term originated in 1919, as a shortened form of sporting car. Sporting means to amuse oneself or play in a lively, energetic manner.

A sports car is designed to be a pleasurable experience, not a competitive one.

You're thinking of shit like the Miata which isn't a sportscar but a "sporty car".

>schooling the retard with a well written post
Thank you for the effort mate

That's the definition of "sport" not "sporting". Sporting is an adjective that means, yup, you guessed it, to be connected with sports.

>Thank you for the effort
>the effort
Because we know it won't work, but still

Sports cars should be sporty, and by default that means having a manual.

It didn't work because you can't use a dictionary properly.

>manuals are slow
Maybe if you can't drive

Doing god's work user. Well new testament god anyway.
we really need to get back to old testament god's work with these autistic spergs. There is no spectrum in the promised land.

Manual is slower though, so nah.

>Doing god's work
>Tried to do something and accidentally did the opposite thing due to incompetence
You must have a low opinion of god

sport
spĂ´rt/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: sporting
wear or display (a distinctive or noticeable item).
"he was sporting a huge handlebar mustache"
synonyms: wear, have on, dress in; More
display, exhibit, show off, flourish, parade, flaunt
"he sported a beard"
amuse oneself or play in a lively, energetic way.
"the children sported in the water"

Except he said "sporting", not "sport".
Go look up what "sporting" means real quick and then you can wipe the egg from your face.

here we see a contrarianfag in his natural habitat stretching really hard for the (You)s

gerund or present participle: sporting

Cry more, you were wrong

the alfa 4c isnt exactly fast and no one will drive it for other reason than the fun of driving since its the most horrible DD in the world.

>alpine
>100k
>affordable

I already stuffed it up yer mum

richfags dont buy em

At least in the case of the 4C, packaging. The transmission also suits the car much better than people give credit for.

>its the most horrible DD in the world.
It's not, journalists just like to complain about Alfas. It's not the most practical car, but you can easily drive it for hours without issue.

(You) now go away

Don't be upset. Manuals can't keep up against auto.

because real men drive auto

Because
>More efficient
>More reliable
>More safe (less divided attention)

Have you retards not figured out how automatics work yet? Press the pedal harder to get into lower "gears."

>Autotragic
>Reliable
Imagine being this American.

This is how you can tell whether someone "gets it" or doesn't.

A manual for a daily driver/road car isn't really about being fastest, it's about a particular set of motions and sensations that you enjoy. That means the clutch, shifter, brake pedal, and gas pedal all have a particular role to play.

It's like yelling at someone for being stupid and using a bolt action rifle instead of a select-fire AR clone. Yeah, the AR also fires just 1 shot at a time, you can get off a lot more shots more quickly, etc. but really that's not the point. People shoot bolt action rifles for fun because they enjoy the weight and feel of pulling back the bolt, the smooth slide of chambering a new round, the feel of a nice, polished wooden stock, etc.

This. Fuck all the autotrolls. And those that genuinely like slushy autotragics better, what are you doing with your life?

>slushy autotragics
The cars in the OP don't have slushboxes.

>you Europeans
Funny coming from a country which has bought majority slushboxes for 6 decades.

Chess is a sport

holy 7s batman

Nice

It's 55k.

Good number

what a fucking waste

I don't care how good it is.
Driving to me is manual.
If it's not manual I don't want anything to do with it.
I'd rather drive a bad manual than a wunderbar avtomat

Yeah it didn't even need all them numbers to be true

this isnt the same sort of auto that gives autos a bad name, these are pretend sequentials that actually respond to you input within the same year and have money and science put into them to minimize the downfalls of regular autos.

not that i wouldn't prefer they were manuals

I check and listen.

>divided attention
how about you drive manual for longer than 1 hour ya dumbass

>muh auto is faster
wrong retard.
Wrong retard
Only reason these two have automatics is because DCT weighs less than manual and these two, especially fucking alpine are all about weight.

just like buy MRS or elise.

>the car doesnt require a person to shift so its trash

>Not wanting to interact with your sports car.

>muh automatic

Don't you fucking busriders realize that a manual gearbox can't be fitted in such a small car? They can't re ingeneer the whole engine bay just to sell 30-40 more cars...

If the 4C was manual the new excuse from you underages would be "it's unreliable"!!!1!!!11one!

>tl;dr: KYS

the 4C is a slow selling meme that was just there to get Alfa Romeo's foot back in the US market. the only future it has is donating its 1.75L turbo 4 to some future Fiat Spider Abarth GT model if Mazda allows it.

>DCT weighs less than manual
[citation needed]

>a manual gearbox can't be fitted in such a small car? They can't re ingeneer the whole engine bay
You can't be this retarded

The companies making them don't want to actually sell many units.

>At least in the case of the 4C, packaging.
They have a 6-speed mated to the exact same engine in the Giulietta QV though. Hell, there's at least one 4C out there that's had its transmission swapped for that exact 6-speed.

>These aren't regular turds. They're turds that have been polished real good.

automatics are better

Autos are only faster than shitty manuals like the floppy H pattern shifter in your 1980s corolla

Sportscars are sold with automatic transmissions because they are meant to be status symbols, not drivers cars. The thing with status symbols is the rich fucks who buy them don't want to have to learn a new transmission.

>two clutches weigh less than one
>gears have to handle the same torque

Nope. Single clutch sequential dogbox is the god transmission.

but nobody knows how to DD these without jerking around and eventually destroying the transmission

Because it's literally impossible to drive them without the shifts being harsh as fuck.
Great in a race car or track toy, a bit fucking much for the street.

haha what

>it's literally impossible to drive them without the shifts being harsh as fuck

That's because you don't know how to shift. Twelve year olds on dirtbikes can smooth a real gearbox out well enough to not lock the rear wheel on loose gravel and you can't keep a car from lurching?
Sportscars should all come with those in order to keep cantdrive boyracers, oil princes, and teenage girls out of them forever. Instead, we're making high HP, low weight vehicles accessible to people that can't even figure out how to operate a bunch of gears.

>yfw actual race spec sequentials have a computer attached to or between the shifter and gearbox to cut power and make shifts smoother without driver intervention

>Manuals can't keep up against auto.
>Manual is slower though
>Because automatics are faster
Nothing is faster than a dogbox sequential manual. You can't physically shift faster than 0 ms.

>Don't you fucking busriders realize that a manual gearbox can't be fitted in such a small car? They can't re ingeneer the whole engine bay just to sell 30-40 more cars...
They don't need to rebuild the entire 4C because it uses the 1.75T from the Giulietta QV, with the Giulietta's DCT. That same Giulietta can just as easily be had with a manual, it's the same box as used in the Doblo iirc. Manual conversions on the 4C have already been done.
avl.com/-/avl-hyper-200-concept-engine

Mazda will never allow the 1.75T to be used in a 124 road car unless they themselves release a Mazdaspeed ND. The 1.75T is already being used in the 124 Rally, and had been with the concept of a rebadged MX-5 ever since it was the Alfa Duettottanta.

Sportscars are about enjoyment or they'd do away with the whole cabin thing.

>The cars in the OP don't have slushboxes.
Instead they have bad economy DCT's. I'd much rather have a modern 8 speed ''slushbox'' (which are perfectly good transmissions by the way) than a 6 speed DCT from the last decade.

>Two clutches and three sets of gears plus the electrohydraulics needed to drive them weigh less than one clutch and two sets of gears
Imagine being this dumb.

See >Nothing is faster than a dogbox sequential manual.

>Single clutch sequential dogbox is the god transmission.
So much this.

My motorcycle manages just fine, you just need to git gud. If you do, you don't even need a clutch anymore.

because, grand tourer

It is neither Grand or Tourer.

>autocucks itt trying to justify their lack of skill

i love the 4c so much. it's best in white

>i don't know how a dogbox sequential manual works

Pro-tip, it's not a 0 ms shift time. Pro-tip number two, a dual clutch gearbox can have two gears shifting at the same time, so the interval of time when power doesn't reach the wheels is 0. Pro-tip number 3, the objectively fastest gearbox is the CVT/IVT, because it's capable of maintaing max power at all times.

None of this actually matters, because the actual reason why the manual isn't offered is because at that price point most people don't buy manual.

Personally, I think what's actually important in feeling the car is the steering, followed by the pedal (brake and throttle response), yet very few people actually bitch about those despite EPS and Fly by wire throttle having made them shit, so wankers who only want to jerk around a rod get no sympathy from me.

the blue car looks like a gt86

Motorcycles are cheating, because they're still made for actual automotive enthusiasts.

>bikes:
>hey kid wanna homologation special?
>sure!

>cars:
>WELL OUR BRAND IMAGE...
>WILL OLDER CUSTOMERS REALLY LIKE A NON-TRADITIONAL TRANSMISSION IF IT DOESN'T SHIFT ITSELF?
>IT NEEDS TO BE SAFER, JUST PASSING IS NOT ENOUGH!
>UH, WE NEED MORE LOW END TORQUE
>MAKE THE LAST THREE GEARS OVERDRIVE FOR MPG RATINGS, NOT JUST THE LAST ONE.

That's not how pro tips work.

It really is a 0ms shift time because it goes from one gear directly into the next.
A DCT shifting at it's very fastest can only achieve 8ms. If you surprise it with an upshift that it doesn't expect, you can count on a 500ms shift because it has to deselect the previous gear and go a gear up.
A CVT is not capable of maintaining power (because they're too weak) at all times (because they break often).

Personally, steering > transmission > pedal feel.

>Hey kid do you want a purist racebike
>It'll be incredibly race-y
>Seriously lightweight
>Too small of an engine to apply to the average squid
>Still on carbs when EFI was already starting
>We still spend the entire budget on research and development to make them amazing
>They cost about as much as a bigger 600/1000cc bike
In the car world, this is suicide. However, we got the entire 400cc supersport class out of this with all of the big four offering one (or two). You will never see a car manufacturer make something this hardcore, and sadly, you won't see a modern motorcycle manufacturer make one either (although I'd love it if they did).

ding ding ding
you drive a manual, you steer an automatic.

Even sequentials with straight cut gears still need a couple millisecond break so the gears can mesh together. Yes you can flat floor shift but usually the transmission will cut the engines spark or fuel so the tranny can shift. That's usually why you hear a loud bang as rally cars and such shift. Even F1 cars aren't 0ms.

youtube.com/watch?v=-jUpmOAQgeQ

With even a 40 year old slushbox you can engage/disengage different gear packs at the same time with a shift kit or manual valve bodies. That's why they're better for drag racing.

>Mazda will never allow the 1.75T to be used in a 124 road car unless they themselves release a Mazdaspeed ND.

Thats why i said it was up to Mazda, not Fiat.

Mazda would need an equally high output version of the ND to compete with an engine that powerful, plus Alfa Romeo would throw a shitfit when FCA tries to undermine their bab-sized supercar by putting the only thing good about it in a car that could be bought at the same dealers for half the price.

Manual gearboxes are smaller, lighter and universally more reliable.

Not to mention that the automatic gearboxes in those cars are literally computer controlled manuals.

It takes literally no time to learn how to drive a manual.

your autistic whats not to get?

I have a manual GT car and it's a lot more fun than the auto version.

Because Italians are over the manual meme

ITT: people who take too much pride in their driving "skills"

>Even sequentials with straight cut gears still need a couple millisecond break so the gears can mesh together.
They're constant mesh you idiot.