“The car industry thinks they're really good at manufacturing and actually they are quite good at manufacturing...

>“The car industry thinks they're really good at manufacturing and actually they are quite good at manufacturing. But they just don't realize just how much potential there is for improvement. It's way more than they think,” said Musk, calling the pace of today's auto factories slower than "grandma with a walker....Why shouldn't it at least be jogging speed?"

Really makes you think, huh?

So why is the model 3 like 4 years behind schedule?

>Tesla reliability

and the ones that come out are STILL trash.

retard should learn to zygote before he talks about jogging

Fucking hell, does he think before he talks this kind of shit?

he is like the liberal version of Trump, fanatical following and all.

That's kinda why i like him and trump. they just blurt out brain-farts rattling around in their head without really thinking about it which, for better or worse opens up dialogue that the mainstream probably wouldn't have cared about had they not said anything. Trump's talk of a trade war is the same in that regard. I've always wanted to discuss trade with people who probably weren't interested in talking about it right up until trump made it the national news. these people have big voices and it can really make the public go
>hmmm, really makes me think
even if it is dumb its what makes these guys so entertaining in powerful positions where the smart thing to do would be the shut the hell up and be as neutral as possible.

Where I work, we've had LEAN for about 15 years. Takes a while to really get it working, from triggering stock to getting shit out the door. We could do with 51 staff what our cousins in America could do with 93.

Lean, however, does not innately fix quality control.

Isn't Tesla still pounding some bits of sheet metal by hand like they're Ferrari in the 1960s?

lol cocky motherfucker

toyota invented lean manufacturing and the way they implement it is insane. Elon should focus on selling more cars before his stock implodes.

Toyota is the largest auto manufacturer by a large margin and Musky thinks he can remotely compete with his expensive shillboxes? I've literally only seen two tesla crossover barge things on the road ever.

In no time flat elon will go the way of Delorean

you see a lot more in california, especially silicon valley
but it just means they're hyped up, not that they're good

implying most of the public aren't retards who believe what CNN tells them to think and believes that anyone who disagrees is a Russian spy

Done properly lean will require that quality problems be fixed, simply because lean requires a focus on customer value. It doesn’t provide guidance on specifically HOW to fix them because lean doesn’t really do that for anything.

The confusing thing for a lot of people is that lean defines quality strictly from the viewpoint of what the customer is willing to pay for. It doesn’t much worry about any other definition so it doesn’t mean a lean company will produce higher absolute quality regardless of cost.

Toyota allows almost anyone to come into their factories and is as open as I’ve ever seen about explaining how they do things. They do this because they are so far ahead that no one will ever be able to catch them, because they keep improving every day.

Maybe Elon thinks that because he is in the old NUMMI plant he gets a head start.

>value manufacturing
Is anyone not fucking stupid?

Well if he claims it could be done better maybe he should take advantage of his knowledge and do it better.

He is like that guy that slacks off on the job site and walks around telling everyone how to do their different trades better when he doesn't even do his own job right.

They taught Porsche how to mass produce quality cars back in the 90s and it saved the company

he says that there is room for improvement, not that Toyota et all are manufacturing things poorly

lrn2read

Is he intentionally acting a clownish copy of a bad James Bond villain now?

>he says that there is room for improvement
Just like he said that the world leading boring companies have no clue about boring and that you could put a network of tunnels under Los Angeles in a tenth of the usual time for a tenth of the usual price? When will you people realize that he's spouting complete bullshit pipe dreams half the time solely to keep his name in rotation and his stock value up?

He's got a point. Gas engines aren't really going to advance much further than they've already gone. Electric engines are going to be the next big tech boom. I mean fuck, 0 emissions and the ability to go 0-60 in around 2 seconds? That's nuts. But we need better batteries before they become all that practical, and that'll certainly come with time.

Solar energy also needs to become more popular before electric cars go mainstream. We have the right amount of tech for that, but we'd need solar panels on every roof to not strain the electric grid of every vehicle requires electricity to move.

the
>ev adoption = grid explodes
thing is a myth. I did some research on it not too long ago. Basically, while the overall consumption does go up, the limits of current grid technology are not stressed is the majority of areas.

He's talking about the vehicle manufacturing process, not electric vs ICE you dipshit

So why are 99% of Teslas parts on backorder indefinitely, leaving wrecked ones in the shop for months and even years?

The US already has to import power to meet demand

They need to make higher octane fuel and then you’ll see gasoline engines actually be worth something. There is a fucking shitload of great technology out there and almost none of it is in production cars. Very very few manufacturers actually make products with the intent of making a quality product.

>Why shouldn't it at least be jogging speed?"

Yes, coming from the man who's production is barely faster than matter at zero kelvin, that's rich.

>Electric engines are going to be the next big tech boom.
Electric motors have existed for 180 years and are already powering your daily life, you fucking clown. And battery improvements are a meme, any chemist will tell you that there's no commercially viable element on Earth that can bring further improvements, you basically have to re-invent the battery with a completely different principle first.

nice fallacy you've got there

Maybe I should get comfortable with rebuilding electric motors before it takes off

From my uninformed yuro perspective it seems that a lot of problems stem from unions and their demands, forcing engineers and designers to dumb down the production simply to cater to dimwitted & drunk assembly workers.

Its called hyperbole, you musk sucking peasant.

Ironic coming from him

>Panel Gaps
>90’s tier kia crap build quality
>warped parts
>bad paint jobs

And i like tesla BTW but the Bullshit is strong in this one

They tried to teach GM but they were just too far gone.

GM would have the Prius now if they’d paid attention.

trump is a liberal you fool. The MSM has got you fucked up. Too much CNN is bad for you!

Actually it’s profit margins by greedy baby boomers and old money. Why build skilled workers (which isn’t hard) when you can just import and export everything with h1b visas. Building and running presses and assembly machines is really not that hard, and the ones most companies have are fucking garbage. It’s literally all about profit margins, and all you have to do is take something apart and you’ll see how cheap it is. There are a lot of unemployed high skill laborers, and they sure aren’t teaching trade skills in k-12

Batteries are still the biggest bottleneck in technology improvements.

Nobody can figure it out, everyones trying to go the efficiency route(apple, portable tech) and car manufacturers are going opposite route with giant brick fire prone battery packs (EV’s tesla). Then theirs also the fact that wveryone ignores alot of battery material used are from conflict regions that get mined by basicaly modern slaves. EV are not the final solution, ICE still have plenty of life in them to stay side by side with them

Their really is nothing better right now, every improvement we get is just a variant of the same shit we have been using for a while.

TLDR: Weve been using the same fucken battery tech for along time, its not environmentally friendly and only slightly better than gas cars for the earth.

Alternative fuel is the answer. I’m not talking hydrogen and pond scum. Readily available high octane is the only way. Ethanol isn’t really that good, either. Need almost twice as much to be stoichiometrically balanced

VAG sells more than Toyota

vag produces more cars in 10 days than tesla since their establishment

sorry meant to quote

Did you not take highschool science class?

Not every electric motor is a simple starter, but to answer your question that was not covered in science class. Probably because we had our own technical skills building

he may be liberal but the part he plays in the farce known as American politics is that of the right.

yeah but isnt that because VAG encompasses so many goddamn brands

>ev adoption = grid explodes
>thing is a myth.

Incorrect. You are VASTLY underestimating the amount of power that will be needed and where its concentration will be (the most electrically taxed cities). Hell everyone having air conditioners on in the summer already heavily stresses the grid, now add EVs and all the sudden California has blackouts daily like Thailand, only NOW the economy dies as well since no one can get to work.

wrong, lad.

Here's some reading material if you wish to educate yourself:

Weis et al, Electric Vehicles and the Grid: Interactions and Environmental and Health Impacts (2015)

Morais et al, Evaluation of the electric vehicle impact in the power demand curve in a smart grid environment (2014)

Frías et al, Evaluating the impact of the adoption of electric vehicles on electricity distribution grids (2011)

The general consensus is that the grid will be fine with EV adoption, for the majority of areas. There will not be huge infrastructure damage or blackouts.

>t. researched this exact problem to hell and back

Synthetic gasolin my man, 100% pure high octane gasoline made from renewable resources. We'll be powering our shitboxes with race fuel.

>readily available 110 octane at pumps
>direct injected 16:1 gasoline NA engines
>300 hp 4 cylinders
>emissions solved for another 50 years

>>readily available 110 octane at pumps
>>direct injected 16:1 gasoline NA engines
hp 4 cylinders
please stop

my benis can only get so tumescent

Tesla might be a good tech firm, but they don`t know shit about manufacturing cars.

>Readily available high octane is the only way
I like the sound of this

This is what we call a verbal cope, friends.

kek

It's also worth pointing out that even on electric engines in modern cars, Tesla is about to get completely fucking overtaken while they can't even get the model 3 out.

>Gas engines aren't really going to advance much further than they've already gone.
Koenigsegg Freevalve
Nissan VC-T Engines
Mazda Gasoline HCCI
Variable Geometry Turbos
Ceramic Thermocoating
Inconel Utilization
etc.

It's not hard to be to the right of Mao you know.

I've worked for both manufacturers. He's right, but like always overly ambitious. If you don't understand what lean manufacturing is, the key element, at least in the scope of making cars, is systematically identifying a slow down or issue, addressing the cause and not the symptom, and putting a fix in place. Why Toyota can do this so well is their production cycles are so long and they don't push the envelope on any tech. They have plenty of opportunity to really focus on 1 thing at a time on each line, perfect it, and move on. Tesla is sprinting out to the lead in car tech so fast it makes for too many variables. You can try to put fixes in place, but when you change 8 things at a time you can't exact in on how effective the change was and little is learned. Definitely a tough balance, Teslas only been making cars for 6 years though so you can't take what they have accomplished away from them.

You copied this from a youtube video didn't you?

No, but I'd like to see the video if they managed to read my mind

When Honda and Toyota goes into full EV production, Tesla will be fucking crushed, destroyed and forgotten

The only reason Tesla is selling is because no other large manufacturers are making electric cars. Tesla's build quality is shit and the cars are also overpriced.

As soon as Germany and Japan start selling EV cars en masse, Tesla will go the way of the Dodo bird.

....wut?

they call that propaganda. The fact of the matter is that the grid can barely handle the current expansion of industry and population growth, not to mention that the current infrastructure is aging and will need to be replaced before any real expansion can occur.

Word of advice: before reading some shit, ask who paid the person to write it. There is too much money changing hands on the EV craze on the part of big business for anything saying its fine to be reliable from face value.

lol, you think that peer reviewed papers from Italy, and the US, in three different publications, are part of some conspiracy to discredit... how EV's will actually destroy the grid? holy hell dude, get some mental help.

yes. I do. Following the money is helpful when trying to think for yourself, sheep.

I honestly can't tell if you're retarded or trolling, or both

The money? You mean big oil and the traditional auto manufacturers?

nope, mining interests, battery manufacturing interests and governments that stand to make a mint off trade the EV craze will create (china being the biggest, but not the only, winner)

Big oil is losing the propaganda war in the face of a well funded machine of "scientists' that will publish anything so long as the pay is good, and a population willing to believe anything so long as it has a "scientist" involved.

Its the same tactics used by governments that have people BREAKING THEIR NECKS to hand over their hard earned money in the name of "carbon tax".

oops someone is from a flyover state

and it's not hard to be left of neo-nazis larpers like you faggot

yeah you're retarded dude, sorry to break it to you

>unironically calling people nazis
Good god just kill yourself dude.

He's right. Make a proper argument or fuck off.

best argument I have heard all night, well done.

The absolute state of Americans.

I see a good number in London

EV is a dead end, yes, but you need to make a better argument than with conspiracy bullshit.

>but you need to make a better argument than with conspiracy bullshit.
how is economic warfare and propaganda a conspiracy? That's just business as usual. Even tobacco companies used to have "scientists" that would say that a certain brand is better than others, even though they knew that all tobacco is god awful for you. Its all about the money.