Meme Degree

I fell for the 'just get any degree dude xddd' meme a few years ago and I'm graduating from a good university in 2 months time with a degree in English Literature. I'll be 21 when I graduate and I've never been employed in my life.

Am I basically screwed and should just kill myself now, or will I actually be able to wageslave?

>degree in English Literature

was it hard?

In all seriousness your best option is to just move to a place that pays teachers well and then do that. English is not a useless degree, it's only made that way because people think they're better than teaching high school.

Hard to say as it's not like I've graduated yet, still have three assignments to hand in. My grade average at the moment for all the work that counts towards my degree is a 2:1 which is the grade I want when I graduate. I don't see any reason why my grade average would go down though.

I hate kids so fuck working with them. You say 'move to a place that pays well', what do you mean by that, another country? Since I'm young and haven't got any responsibilities or dependencies I could do that if it pays well enough. I know there are plenty of TEFL opportunities out there but I'm not sure what the best way to get into them is. The ones which require you to have only a degree pay worse than minimum wage from what I've seen.

I'm not sure what country you live in, but here in the states New York, Massachusetts, and a few other states pay teachers really well compared to other states.

The only other option I can give yo is that if you did well enough you can get a masters in a real degree. Plenty of people do something completely unrelated for their undergrad when they go to grad school. You'd have to catch up on some stuff that's related to your new more useful field though.

I'm in the UK, I'm at Newcastle Uni which is a pretty good uni so I suspect the requirements to get into a Masters course would be high so I don't know if I could get in.

What would be a logical Masters to take from what I have? To be honest I didn't even know you could take a Masters in something unrelated to what you studied at Undergraduate level.

Don't go to a masters program
Find a job
Fuck
Yes, you don't need any specialty degree. Please just get an entry level business position. Why is this so hard. You don't need to be employed before.

>Don't go to a masters program
Yeah, you're right. I hate my course and pretty much hate university. I've had a quick look at some of the compulsory modules of the MA degrees I'd be eligible for and they're all the same Libshit stuff I've had to suffer with for the last three years.

>Please just get an entry level business position, You don't need to be employed before.
Such as what? The careers service at my uni tried to talk me into voluntary work and shit like that as though I'm back to square one once I graduate.

Got a friend who did masters International politics at Newcastle, his undergrad was French or some shit.

Don't expect to be able to go into sciences or maths based.

2:1 English should allow you to get into softer masters like philosophy or politics.

Speak to your tutor or a careers advisor, don't be afraid to tell them you have no idea what you are doing.

Good luck fellow geordieanon.

I'd recommend tefl. Check out Dave's ESL Cafe or Gaijinpot, These might not be current but a quick google search should bring up the current frontrunner.

Yeah, the pay isn't shit by first world standards but the cost of living matters more than people realize at your age. I was making damn good money as a roughneck but I never saved a dime and didn't even live all that well. When I changed careers to do ESL I went from four grand a month to 1500, but I was able to save 1k/month and live a really luxurious life. Anyone can do the same.

Not wanting to work with kids will limit your options, but there are plenty of college prep courses for people who want to study abroad.

Career services can't do anything for you those people are universal charlatans

Just go online and apply to as many jobs as possible. It's a lot like how you might find an online date. Your first job may be miserable. But you will make contacts in your first job. If you do well and are clever enough you will be promoted. Those contacts and your bosses will write a recommendation to get you a better position.

Your first goal should to become a frontline manager in some capacity. Then you can get into middle management and from there upper management.

lol
philosophy admissions are like 1% here in the states mate
not a softer masters

>Check out Dave's ESL Cafe or Gaijinpot
I'll look into it.

>those people are universal charlatans
I did get that impression. I only went once and they gave me a bunch of generalised shit and seemed scared to offend me (despite saying just tell me if I'm screwed), as though they were in it for something. They gave me a form to fill out and said to come back but I haven't bothered. The form is just 'what are you interested in xdd' and stuff like that.

If they knew how to get a good job
Would they be working there?

With work the biggest thing is perseverance and you have to keep applying. If I could get into management as a humanities undergraduate with a shitty GPA you can as a graduate.

Newcastle Uni do a comp sci conversion master's. Basically a one year crash course in coding, web dev, networking and a few other things.

Not as strong as a comp sci undergrad but it will open up a hell of a lot more prospects than your current degree would by itself

Apply to officer training school with the navy. My buddy has a meme degree and is making 6 figures dicking with planes.

>2:1 which is the grade I want when I graduate.

waste of time. everyone has a 2.1, you need a 1st minimum.

Not going to happen sadly. My 2nd year was a disaster so even though I'm on a 1st average this year I'm still way off getting a 1st degree.

I got a degree in English and now work in business. It's not that hard to find a decent job with an English degree. I started out reviewing RFPs.

If you can write well and you are willing to learn copy writing is pretty neat. You can work freelance if you want or just get a wageslave job

>friend gets English undergrad
>goes for English masters
>now is a research librarian at a medical library
>makes pretty good money there

Sounds like a comfy job desu

Pays like trash.

That shit pays like garbage, did Korea and Japan teaching for awhile and now work at Amazon and make more there (nearly 20 an hour with actual benefits) and having the degree allowed me to go to a higher tier faster than every other person with just a GED/High School Diploma.

Warehouse jobs pay pretty good and they will hire anyone who passes the drug test, work labor then weasel your way into something in an office, should be easier.

Depends on your skills and niche. If you just write product descriptions for an e-commerce store you won't get paid well, that's true. You can get good enough copywriters from pajeetistan for basically nothing

RIP to that then.

Gonna get a job on an oil rig so I can make those fat stacks.

Houston is a good market for that. I had a buddy do that for two years, and he made a killing

My mate has a lit degree. Does front end dev on contract for big monies. Don't give up hope, just learn to program.

>just learn to program.
Yeah but don't you need a qualification behind it to prove you can actually do it before people will give you the time of day?

i think if you knew you loved money back then and you majored in a major that doesnt pay well then you set your self up for depression.

absolutely not.

i graduated high school in 2013, immediately started learning front-end web design.

it took me 2 months before I could start freelancing and charging people money ($250-500 per site)

it took me 3 years before I was making websites I was proud of. ($12k-30k per site)

i did not go to college. No employer or client has ever required or even asked to see a degree.

When college does come up in conversation, they are often MORE impressed when they find out that I didn’t go to college and am in fact self taught.

Why the fuck would you not get any summer jobs or internships or part time work or anything. That is going to look so bad, there will be nothing to put on your resume.

I've never struggled for money over the last few years and was a dumb teenager who didn't consider the effect it would have on my future having never been employed.