> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Still doing the chicken thing. Alright. Beats shitter OPs.

fucking chicken

It's a minor thing but I'm always pleased when I manage to figure out something by myself, this powerup gives you more ammo on restock, if the webm isn't obvious enough.

I don't know what it is so it must be shit.

object pooling saves you garbage collection time.
It's basically reusing things instead of destroying them and re instantiating them.
Say you have bullets on a shmup, instead of destroying the bullets that go outside of the screen or collide with something, you can just mark them as reusable and keep references to them in a list or array so you can just reset their position and properties instead of creating new ones.

Here's a list of must-experience scifi influences. One thing might stand out here.

reminder to arm your mecha adequately

>comics
>no valerian & laureline
into the trash

That list is garbage. Just watch 80s sci-fi anime. that should be enough.

>read only memories

>my face when making an open world indie survival game
>mfw the time it's finished the hatred towards the flavor of the month will be over and it will be a novel concept again

cool that VA-11 Hall-A made it to list though

>Oh hey I should get around doing IKs, I already did it in Blender so it should be simple
And they're nazis now

Fucking hell I thought I could just recycle what I did in Blender.

is that your game in the picture? it's kinda ugly

and aerannis

Reminder that cute girls are built for piloting mecha

Christ that's long.

>Borderlands
>Destiny
>Halo
>Mass Effect
>SWTOR
>Fucking ROM. Fucking ROM.

Yeah no I'm not checking out shit from this list if that's their idea of quality.

Eyyy the Aerannis guy is making a new game, though, he was posting it here just a few days ago. Submarines.

Make it a game about the rise of mecha nazis and mecha Americans have to stomp out the mecha nazi scourge

anyone looking for an artist hmu

Remined that if there's no cute girl inside your mecha, you're doing something wrong.

where're are you are jam games

I agree.

disgusting weeb

But is this really neccessary? It sounds quite complicated to code, in contrary to just spawn and destroying everything.

WARNING: You can play this game with a controller, but it will make the game far easier and also you should kill yourself if you prefer controllers.

it is

Triggered much?

I'm still trying to figure out how to make fun racing mechanics. My first attempt was basically tank controls except moving very fast, that didn't work too well.

I still can't decide what to make, there are many genres I want to try tackling and I don't know which one to choose for this jam.

I'm not ready yet. See you in Mecha Jam 2.

Super simple to implement, just have a list of ullets ready for reuse for example, and remove the first element from it each time you reuse one.
In terms of performance it's a lot better in cases where you have to spawn/destroy a lot of objects all the time

that seatcock though

You've got three fucking months, man.

Ideaguy: HITMAN, but you must protect the clients from assassins instead of killing them.

Considering the jam is 3 months long you could probably make a few games. I don't know if you can submit multiple games to a jam though.
Or at least you could make several prototypes and then pick your favorite and polish it up.

It's not enough. I mean, its enough to make a game if I were ready, but I won't be ready by then.

Open world... you mean sandbox?

good reply
"i just wanted to post anime" reply

That's not even a mecha its a girl with guns and flippers and no bra

Too late, they've learned to "aim". Thank god there's an IK setting for bone chains of various lengths.
Besides I'm not Hugo Boss, I can't replicate accurately Nazi aesthetics.

I've managed to put I think two hundred moving bullets (pulled out of the pool, moving and colliding before being put back in the pool) at the same time on the screen, while retaining 60fps.
Without object pooling, it goes down to 20fps, which is simply not acceptable.
As says, it's not hard to implement, I did it in blueprints.

lol

I prefer cute anthros.

True but it's still a jam, I don't feel like spending 3 full months making prototypes, I'll probably spend 2-3 weeks at most on it.
I also have a main game I need to be working on.

typical "I don't have a game" reply

Reminder to not make money with mech games or Harmony Gold is gonna copyright troll your ass.

>typical "I don't have a game" reply
Where's the harm in that?

Is that actual LEGO or some off-brand shit? I can't tell anymore with all the fucking useless specialized blocks.

I think I can see 'lego' written on one of the pieces so I guess they're original.

>All my Godot code is on my laptop
>Left it at work

Guess I just won't dev today.

epic

git git

Make some assets. Write down some psuedocode for implementable ideas. Get your latest backup from the online backup you should be backing up at least once a day you giant vagina.

Nice excuses.

A truedev would be writing up their remaining code on a piece of paper right now. Then, using paperclips in the microwave to run a non-graphical version of the code to see if it functions before getting the laptop back.

You're a casual.

I am such an amazing writer, I just know how those cool cats talk

>feel like all I'm doing is looking up tutorials and altering bits and pieces
>don't feel like I actually understand code
What can I do to fix this?

>I told Miyazaki I love the "gratuitous motion" in his films; instead of every movement being dictated by the story, sometimes people will just sit for a moment, or they will sigh, or look in a running stream, or do something extra, not to advance the story but only to give the sense of time and place and who they are.

>"We have a word for that in Japanese," he said. "It's called ma. Emptiness. It's there intentionally."

Pic very related but it only particularly makes sense if you've played OFF.

>Is that like the "pillow words" that separate phrases in Japanese poetry?

>"I don't think it's like the pillow word." He clapped his hands three or four times. "The time in between my clapping is ma. If you just have non-stop action with no breathing space at all, it's just busyness, But if you take a moment, then the tension building in the film can grow into a wider dimension. If you just have constant tension at 80 degrees all the time you just get numb."

Keep coding for a few hundred hours.

Nice desu

I actually want to do something like this for my game, in every area you visit there's somewhere quiet you can sit down and I'd have the music fade out while the character just sits.
Sometimes just doing stuff like this is nice

start with pong

>start with pong
Took me 5 minutes
>do a platformer tut
Took me 2 hours.

Game dev is boring.

wow, your mum is sure right when she calls you a genius

>seatcock
It's a vagina interface scrub

rate

No clue how much is too much, but even something like the loading rooms (which many people probably just assumed were transition rooms) in Symphony of the Night were pretty neat.

I always enjoyed those too, they were brief pauses in the action, just long enough for the player to get ready for the next area.
I also really like how there's a few areas where Alucard can sit and relax.

ye

How to decide on an artstyle or color palette?

Dats it mane.
I got it planned to have a few of those areas to have a moment for the main character to just talk with his companion too, because I'm also a sucker for two characters learning about eachother just from talking like that.

>highly pixlated walls
>with fine grain lighting
Woah what.

Anyhow it (the walls/floor) looks pleasant, though bare.

Go for it. Those were the only redeeming parts of ObsCure 2.

I don't think anyone else gives a damn about ObsCure 2 don't ask me why it was the first game to come to mind.

>Anyhow it (the walls/floor) looks pleasant, though bare.
I'm just starting tothrow some textures in, still not sure why everything is so damn shiny no matter what.

I just want to sprinkle some assets for the demo day.

Shit man you mean Obscure 2: the aftermath? That IS a weird game to just have pop into your head for this, but it's a good example.
Deadly premonition also comes to mind, holy shit that game had such good character interaction

>tfw always overengineering shit and making it as generic and expandable as possible even if I'm only planning on using it twice or so

Just go with the style and colors you like the most

Steal whatever you like most.
Don't know about artstyle, but never, NEVER try to come up with color palette yourself. Always steal it from the best.

You will never learn to do it if you don't do it yourself

>artstyle
Use what you like.

>colour pallete
As long as the art direction is kept to, and general brightness in any one given area is cohesive without getting muddy, it'll look good.

Black shaders are a sin and must be punished.

Any of you bothered to trademark your game name? Don't really care about people stealing it, more worried about somebody trademarking it themselves to assrape me

>Black shaders are a sin and must be punished.
Agreed. The black shading in Redline is absolutely atrocious.

Don't even start, nigga, your game ain't Redline.

BAD taste

Yet Redline is a sin apparently

We're going to be here all day if I have to bust out the sock puppets to explain how Redline (and No More Heroes, on the same topic) does not touch on muddied colours whatsoever since the harsh value shifts straight to black mean that a colour's lower value not being a simply valued-tilted version of its own hue isn't a factor.

You ain't Redline.

+proper unit movements
+optimization
what should i do next?

>what should i do next?
You should be able to answer that better than any of us, user.

I understand you are taking back your words on the
>Black shaders are a sin and must be punished
statement. Good.

>his game doesn't have true black
I feel like I'm looking through muddy water

Take my cum back down the back of your throat while you're at it, you worthless pedant.

You must really hate the PS1

nice undervania

>what is TV levels
it'll look black on the screen

M8 my monitor can't even display TRUE black

that's not true black
can't walk into the hood with your tv

Behead those who use pure black/white.

>his game has wh*tes