Why is the XJ Cherokee having a renaissance out of nowhere?

Why is the XJ Cherokee having a renaissance out of nowhere?

Attached: 25007745_320075865176115_978960056215142400_n.jpg (640x568, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/d/1999-jeep-cherokee-xj/6509708902.html
atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/d/jeep-cherokee-xj/6519967668.html
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-jeep-cherokee-xj/6525782478.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

New Jeeps suck ass. Want to make money? Find an XJ, clean it up and sit on it for 10 years.

Attached: 200_s.gif (354x200, 48K)

Prices are already moving up.

>Why is the XJ Cherokee having a renaissance out of nowhere?

For the same reason the Miata has had its revival.

Because it's unironically a god machine.

>huge aftermarket
>cheap parts
>loyal fanbase to document every issue and fix
>bulletproof 4.0

t. owner of a 260k Jeep Cherokee

>God machine
>Unibody """"""Offroader""""""

>bulletproof 4.0
It is not, my uncle owns a scrap yard and got lots of jeep Cherokees from cash for clunkers. We shot a few of em up with 308s and 45/70s and those suckers split right in half. We did the same with a Japan jz from a manual 300sc and the the extra mass from the bullets caused the heavy block to fold in on itself and creat a mini black hole. Cia and NASA showed up, shit was crazy.

>what is an idiom

The poor workman blames his tools. For a sub-$3k 4wd vehicle, you can't go wrong.

>For a sub-$3k 4wd vehicle, you can't go wrong.
Except it's appreciated like 50% in the last year alone.

A decent (read: not perfect) Cherokee in the range of 190k can set you back atleast 5k nowadays.

Funny how my buddy got a pair of beat cherokees for 2500 a month ago.

You're just not looking hard enough.

>beat

keyword

Learn to wrench you lazy nog.

Attached: image.jpg (175x219, 13K)

>Implying 190k isn't 'beat'

To boot both of them were running, and drivable.

>Pushrods
>Displacement
>Reliability
>Solid Axles
>4WD

It's a God machine

>Why is the XJ Cherokee having a renaissance out of nowhere?
It's the right size.

It's been known for decades that there's a certain size of vehicle that people will gravitate to if all else is equal. Of course the Cherokee was built cheap with dreadful interior materials so they weren't that attractive new but that actually works for one now since you don't have to be careful with it.

There are 3 cherokees in my street in yurop. Isnt this the OG cross-over? Maybe thats the reason

>HERE'S WHY THE XJ CHEROKEE IS HAVING A RENAISSANCE OUT OF NOWHERE

Fuck this guy.

Spending thousand of dollars to make a heap of shit look new

Have you seen the new Jeeps? Half of them are FWD unless you pay extra for the deluxe models. The new ones are fucking cheaply made and cramped. People want a Jeep that's still a JEEP, user, not a cucked plastic Power Wheels looking faux-SUV

They're good cars and the last iteration is getting old enough to become cool again, instead of just "old". Also... Doug Vids spark interest in nearly anything he reviews positively.

Attached: 20180307_085031.jpg (540x720, 181K)

Crossover? These things will cross over a shallow stream and the forest, user. All crossovers do is cross a mall's parking lot and maybe a pothole

Attached: IM000414.jpg (1792x1200, 881K)

Still a better ROI than crypto

Build quality dropped near the last couple years. Owned two and fucking everything that can break did. They are not reliable and rust like crazy. They run hot as fuck, those 4.0s are overrated.
They are good at off-road and they are a good value if found cheap but you won't anymore.

Not worth it and I owned em.

>anons bumping blatant vlog advertisement threads

ya'll niggas gettin played

Attached: 1512353511313.jpg (1066x600, 64K)

not really
it's got "actual suspension and 4wd"
99% of crossovers have stupid useless suspension and "awd"

>They run hot as fuck, those 4.0s are overrated.
just cut some holes in the hood

He's right its the first unibody SUV, and that design pricinple would pop up a decade later with the X5 and Lexus RX.

desu I've loved the Cherokee ever since I first rode in one as a kid. My cousin who was about 22 at the time, used to come and pick me up and just hang out with me, take me out for ice cream, etc. He became a brother to me, he had a 92 XJ that he bought off of his friend's father and he lifted it, threw on bigger tires, replaced front and rear axles etc. He took me on a back road in it and I fell in love. Granted I was only like 4 or 5 at the time, but ever since then it's been my dream car and I ended up getting one.

Aside from the nostalgic and sentimental reasons for loving it, it's so painstakingly simple,I love the look of it, it's got stock solid front and rear axles, huge aftermarket support, the straight six is an awesome engine, and it's super easy to work on. I use mine for overlanding, so I just fold the back seats down, and sleep in there instead of using a tent.

It's not the best off roader, I will be the first to say, but I love my little XJ.

Attached: IMG_3591.jpg (750x1334, 264K)

Fuck, sorry for sideways pic lads. Here's a before picture.

Attached: 26804990_10156303425094903_1997708873984019482_n.jpg (470x326, 25K)

I've added frame stiffeners, and rock sliders to mine. I also plan on adding front and rear bumpers to further protect the unibody. The unibody is a huge downside (among a few others) to the XJ, but everything else is pretty great.

Also the huge amount of XJ owners means much more familiarity with the vehicle and all of it's repairs.

P.S.S - not sure why the word Desu was at the beginning of that.

mines sitting in the garage gathering dust

>frame/unibody has tonnes of rust
glad i got spare parts but holy fuck it needs alot of work havnt touched it in ages

>so new to Veeky Forums he doesn't know about word filters

I fucking hate Doug

Attached: 8nCPHDL.gif (330x300, 953K)

>Solid axles all-around w/coils up front
>implying it's not a godly off-road machine

because they are for the most part fairly cheap, and have a very large aftermarket so people buy them and make bash buggies

I really have an insatiable urge to give Doug a Glasgow Smile.

He's been pissing me off more and more lately, like an insolent child who keeps getting away with shit which emboldens them to do more.

Does anyone else feel the hate growing inside of them?

Attached: bicentennial man.jpg (1240x500, 46K)

Because people want the least terrible suv

this is how I'm going to start advertising my youtube channel- i'm still working out the exact video to make that will bait the fuck out of Veeky Forums

It is a cross-over tho, and I never said they were not real SUVs

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on that guy?

Any love for ZJs? I feel like they aren't appreciating as much as XJs but they are still great machines. Around here they only go for 2k in decent shape and they're probably cheaper in the US.

Attached: Jeep ZJ 1993-98.jpg (1584x944, 1.04M)

they are too good to not buy, and that i6 straight piped sound GOOD

Attached: 001.jpg (3000x1995, 3.67M)

They're the first modern era small SUV with one of the best engines ever made, a respectable stock off-road capability, and a clean, boxy body style. They made a lot of them, and they are really hard to kill, given reasonable maintenance. There are about 5 of them in my neighborhood. These fucking cars are all around 20-30 years old and they're still everywhere. It's pretty funny.

Speaking of nostalgia, did you ever notice that in The Goonies, the Fratellis drove an XJ as their getaway car?

This is true. I just bought one recently. I set out to get my first SUV as well as my first domestic car. I thought I wanted an XJ, but, I have two young kids and the interior volume just wasn't enough so I started looking at ZJs. I love mine so far. I talked the PO into giving it to me for $1400. Its a '95 Laredo 4.0 AWD with 105k miles. Great shape just has one shitty fender.

Whoops posted in a better thread for it, just paid $1200 in NYC for this '89, ask me anything

Attached: IMG_20180311_124353_553.jpg (2988x2988, 1.85M)

>Electrical Gremlins
>Slim chance of getting a 4.0 with an AW4
>Most likely a shit v8

Wanton hatred

AMC wanting to make some headway. First model year, too: 1984

renaissance? lol
the only people that drive them in the midwest are unemployed / meth addicts / trailer trash

interior is trash and the doors are always rusted out. this is peak awful Chrysler

>Crossover
Stop speaking now.

hello newfriend

>peak awful Chrysler
XJ designed by AMC

>user lives in rustbelt
How's that Subie holding up?

>mfw im already seeing these rust buckets being relisted for 5 grand more with words like "offroad" and "overland" on the ad

Douggie is ruining every gap in the market.

this turbonigger better not ruin W163s before I get another ML500 and a ML55 (had a ml500 once before, everything on them that breaks can be fixed DIY style except the transmission and there's enough of those in junkyards that only need a sensor replaced, the ml500 GAVE ITS LIFE TO SAVE MINE when a semi truck t-boned me, best little suv ever)

pls link to some of these listings so we can laugh, i'll start

atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/d/1999-jeep-cherokee-xj/6509708902.html
>$6500
>Rubicon 3.5" Lift
>33" Mt/r's with plenty of tread
>8.25 rear axle
>"never been offroad"

atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/d/jeep-cherokee-xj/6519967668.html
>$7500
>4.5in. Rough Country lift
>33x12.5R15 Dick Cepek all terrain tires
>"has not even been driven on trails only twice"

nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-jeep-cherokee-xj/6525782478.html
>$5900
>.5" -6" of lift and 33/12.50R15 Goodyear Kevlar MTRs with about 60% tread. Adjustable Iron Rock Offroad trackbar. 4.0 l6 and AW4 automatic transmission. Np231 transfer case, high pinion dana 30 front axle and Chrysler 8.25 rear end
>"has not ever been offroad."

is this "has not ever" / "has not even" thing a meme because i'm seeing it in a lot of these jeep listings in relation to their "been offroad" status

People are sheepish trendhoppers.

They do look nice though.

Attached: 626ebdb6c9d6d7fd5c80630f5bba8b13.jpg (872x654, 112K)

>bulletproof 4.0
I'll never understand where this meme started from.

Approximately 100 billion of these shitboxes were cranked out by Dodge so they will gain precisely 0% value over the next 1-50 years.

They're trash and anybody can get an S-10 with as much off-road capability. These $500 market vehicles are that cheap for a reason.

>BRO U SEEN MY DODGE NEON THO
>BRO MY S-10 IS WORTH $800 NOT $500

The Cherokee was designed to make moms feel like they had actual Jeeps even though they don't.

In truth

This.

Far from a meme , these engines take shit and abuse and keep on going strong.
You sir are a faggot , I guaruntee you cannot get as much offroad capability out of an s10 without spending a lot more than you would on a Cherokee. Also pre 99 XJ's were barely fucked with by chrysler after the take over. 84-98 , 14 years of minimal changes to the make and you think they are shit. Your taste and opinion is shit and discarded. It was the last real Jeep in production

>ask me anything
Rust?

Autism confirmed.

What’s a ZJ?

If you have to ask,you can't afford it.

Nothing says I'm broke as fuck and probably smoke meth like an XJ Cherokee.

>no vintage Wagoneer

Attached: landscape-1481321583-jeep1.jpg (1600x800, 479K)

I wanna tell Doug to come film my "Bugatti Chiron" then just punch him in the face when he comes

Little on the floor panels, my plan is to change out the transmission fluid, fiddle with the TV cable and maybe install a Trans. fluid temp gauge and then take out the interior and Chassis Saver + Monstaliner the floor after patching up any rust holes with fiberglass patches. First things first the guy said the radio worked but I'm installing a new unit this week and it took like 5 minutes to take out the old one so I love it already

I have a 98 xj super clean, 180k, gonna spray all the plastics with bed liner and get some knockoff trick-lites and a couple small led brights

I had a '92 before this with 240k, only problems I've had are with speed wobble, but once it's fixed they run forever

Attached: DSC00917.jpg (475x317, 31K)

They were large 4x4 station wagons from a respected brand, with a decent level of comfort, lots of options and good engines.
The other alternative was Range Rover which didn't have as much options and was way more expensive, and normal height wagons like the Peugeot 405, or special orders like the Ford Explorer which didn't come in diesel.

All three engines that were available were pretty good too

this

Because I started driving my Dads old one
When I do new things they always become a thing in some way
I am God, heed my mumbling

Because newer cars are just rent seeking scams. Even if used Cherokee's cost extra just for the sake of being overly hyped... It's still a more cost effective purchase than dropping 30 grand on a shitty equinox that's going to need it's consumer dissatisfaction sensors replaced every 2 years.

27k for an AWD LS
try again

I'm talking leaf dollars.

Thats stupid, dont do that anymore
use petrodollars

Okay. 27K Petro Dollars for a small unibody SUV with almost no options is fucking ridiculous.

>he cares about fucking options
baby needs extra usb, heated seats and automatic power seats/trunk, what a fag

>5k

Where the shit do you live where Cherokees are 5k? I paid 1200 for a 98 2 door with almost no body rot and 175k on it. Besides a battery that died shortly after I bought it and a sensor that broke because I'm a dumbass, it's been dead reliable.

Attached: 126201820393.jpg (2560x1440, 891K)

Holy fuck that's clean.

Yeah. The interiors in "OK" shape, for it's age. Everything still works, the seats all fold like they should. But the drivers seat sits at a weird angle, like one of the seat brackets collapsed or something, making the clutch feel odd to operate at times.

Attached: IMG_20170814_120715.jpg (3264x1836, 2.02M)

Love my XJ ( 2000 with the 0331 head) no matter how hard I try that thing just won’t die. Only major problem I’ve had is my lower rad hose blew out on my way home from work. That was a fun road side fix

The 4.0 is by far the toughest engine I’ve ever seen. My step dad had one in his XJ, 315xxx miles and the only things we replaced were the oil pump and the alternator. The 4.0 is like a D8 Cat, it thrives on abuse and neglect.

What did you expect when Italians bought them out.

Because he makes thousands off youtube getting to travel around the world and sit inside touch and drive cars you will probably never see in your life?

Stop posting your blog.

Attached: S O Y.png (640x411, 418K)

People are starting to get sick of curvy flowing lines

A lot of people like cars the way they were in the nineties a lot better than the bloated i-pad shit on the market now.

Because they're BAD-FUCKING ASS, is why..

...had a 93' limited with the HO motor, & would smoke faggot-ass mustangs with that shit. Stock ground clearance was perfect for most off-road situations, & skid plates with ram bars let me mow down brush up to 2" saplings without worry. Handled impacts alright, glass seemed pretty tough, even though I had to replace the windshield a couple times & a window. Lots of room for gear & roadside shags, easy to work on...I miss that jeep every single day of my life.

>sucked down gas, though. Even when it was cheap, I went through a lot of it.

>People are sick of driving jelly beans
Everything looks the fucking same , nothing has any style anymore, been like that since the early to mid 90's

kek

Attached: 1520528145599.jpg (1063x800, 97K)

Ah sweet the threads still up, question though, if my Cherokee is jumping a little when shifting up gears mostly when cold, any clue what that could be?

Does it do it when it's warm? If no, then it's just the cold. My clutch pedal turns into molasses and my tranny is really hard to shift at first when it's below freezing. Once the engines been running for a few minutes it's fine.

Imagine how much this dude has to pay to get a thread like this made daily. Sure it's not as much as he pays to get his shitty videos recommended all over youtube, but even say, $80 a month is pretty pathetic to pay for threads on a site that wants nothing to do with you.

Who the fuck is this dude, anyway? I just popped into the thread because I own an XJ.

I kinda wish they were. These went extinct in Alberta a long time ago.

Because they're unironically good cars.

They really are prevalent. It’s the top choice especially for wives living in the country who need 4wd to get up their driveway. It’s impossible to drive around for a day without seeing a few ~20yr old xjs.
I loved mine. It was the most fun I’ve had with a vehicle. Cheap and reliable. It is a Swiss Army knife type of vehicle...it can do anything you need it to, daily driver/kid hauler, mild off-roader, work or camping vehicle, but it doesn’t excel at any one task.
I chose it for the same reasons I chose my current daily, a 96 f150. It’s cheap, parts are prevalent in store and at junkyards/craigslist, easy to work on, most problems are well documented, prime aesthetics, ample aftermarket and mod options, straight 6 engine, etc.