Currency Trading

I've been really interested in currency trading since I took my introductory macro course and started getting into monetary policy.

Is there a lot of money to be made in this field? I don't mean just as a recreational pursuit, but as a career. Are currency desks usually well paid? Is most trading in Forex automated nowadays (it's not a problem, I have a lot of open time in my major because i fulfilled a lot my course requirements in high school so I can add on a CS course into it).

Trade Crypto, its the future of money and the profit margins are 1,000,000,000% bigger.

I've actually been into crypto. Downloaded Coinbase on my phone and have been setting aside some cash to invest in Ethereum. Pretty pissed I missed the boat on Bitcoin but I'm hoping to make it up.

Still, I'm looking for a place to apply my macro knowledge and this seems like the place. I used to be really into commodities, but those are back to being boring as shit.

>looking for a place to apply my macro knowledge
Crypto isn't the place for that. You could have two PhDs and still lose everything. 95% of coins are pump and dump shitcoins and those that aren't are completely unpredictable.

Stick to forex

>You could have two PhDs and still lose everything.

To be fair, you can do the same in the regular markets

Yes I trade commodities professionally. It is very lucrative(I know several people that make over 30k on average a day doing it). Anyone who tells you programs do all the trading know nothing about the industry.

> Trading Forex
> Ever

Beauty of the markets is they don't care about your background.

Most spot currency traders working on the currency desks today have PHDs in mathematics, compsci, or engineering.

Everything else (swaps, futures, derivatives) are done by analysts with finance degrees and such.

If you have just taken your first macro course, you still have plenary of time. Most finance kids don't learn much about currencies so it's a great way to differentiate yourself.

I've been trading FX to complement my day job. Making around a 1k a month right now. AMA.

how much do you trade with

$5k

how often do you watch what you invest in?

I day trade, so I check on my trades throughout the day

If you don't want to do it for fun then you shouldn't do it at all.

It's really a very easy hobby if you shoot for less than 50% annually, even for an amateur.

But this is coming from someone that doesn't get greedy which may or may not be an advantage.

Do you have a set system you follow? Or just go with the gut?

yes

Yes what?

What program do you use? Since your checking throughout the day it must be something on your phone.

I have a system. I use ninja trader for analysis. Since FX is decentralized, you can't really get accurate order flow or volume. FX futures help with that since there is only one exchange for them in the US. I actually execute my trades on MT4 since it's free.

Ninja trader for analysis, MT4 for execution, and a remote desktop app on my phone to check in every few hours

Sounds very interesting.
How do i get started with this?

-regards: noob

You could probably ask google

If Le Pen wins the French election the Euro is definitely going to plummet, but do you think it will recover at all? Le Pen as a Eurosceptic could push for leaving the EU, and I assume the Eurozone

Babypips.com tutorial
Trading and Exchanges by Harris is also a good read

Sorry user, I don't pay attention to fundamentals

What is life like as a commodity trader? Do you trade all commodities or do you specialize in either hard or soft commodities or the individual commodities themselves? Is it still worth learning in spite of the end of the commodities boom of the mid to late 2000s?

What kinds of stuff do commodity traders do? Is it mostly just analyzing the markets and adjusting your positions accordingly?