/indie/ - Indie and Misc. Games General

Last Thread: >when you continue an old VVVVVV save but it's the Veni Vidi Vici part

>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Rimworld, Age of Decadence, VA-11 HALL-A, Subnautica, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Darkwood, Braid, Monolith, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, West Of Loathing, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago and /jrpg/ is welcome.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adversarial_machine_learning
store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/2095718613767135086
lab.serotoninphobia.info/completeguide.html
lab.serotoninphobia.info/thisgamewill.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for continued RNG discussion.

You can't bluff an AI.

You can if it's a good AI. I remember it was quite easy and powerful with the game GUN that was one of the first games released on Xbox 360.

The AI can pretend to be fooled. Thing is, it's harder to write a mediocre AI than a smart one, which is harder than the usual dumb AI.

And smart AI are harder to distinguish from cheating AI.

>playing a RTS
>send my unit to attack the enemy base
>his units are ready
Of course, what were the odds?

Only tangentially related but most deep learning AIs can actually be fooled fairly easily.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adversarial_machine_learning

Also, vidya enemy "AI" has nothing to do with learning or intelligence.

>most deep learning AIs can actually be fooled fairly easily
Okay. Go play Alien Isolation and tell us how it went.

You're thinking in completely wrong context. Vidyagaems don't have learning AIs. It's just another set of scripted behaviors.

But Isolation is famous for the Ayyylmao learning your move.
Same with Quake 3's bots, who apparently are pretty smart.

Yeah, pretty much all my questions were answered.
Usually people either don't bother and ignore, or propose to figure everything by yourself.

>But Isolation is famous for the Ayyylmao learning your move.
No, Isolation is famous for its marketing making people think that the Alien can learn your moves.
The most intelligent ACTUAL AI in gaming can beat pro dota players in a heavily simplified version of the game.

It will be years before AI in games arent anything but scripts over scripts.

>arent
are*

Because the entire game is centered around a singular enemy, they could afford to spend more of their budget making it behave in cool ways. It's still nothing but a collection of preprogrammed behaviors, it only imitates a real learning thing.

Ditto for UT/Quake bots. Most of them are just static routines and require bot routes in maps to be effective. Some like Reaper can "learn" the maps and have more human-like behavior, but it is not real machine learning.

It will be a long while before we see real learning AIs in vidya and it won't be in rendering-intensive real-time games like FPSes.

>the entire game is centered around a singular enemy
But they're not, though. You also fight Working Joes and humans, and they all behave differently from the Alien.
Try to know what you're actually talking about.

Holy shit stop being contrarian for the sake of it, you know what I meant. The alien is core focus of the game, the main selling point. Other enemies don't have half the behavior/animation polish it does.

>you know what I meant
No I don't.

CHECKING /in/

didn't the aylmao not even matter for, like, the last third of the game?

Welp, the point is, no current vidya has real machine learning as enemy AI. The very first realworld-applicable deep learning technologies are currently in their infancy and require hefty amounts of GPU power. More than rendering of AAA+++ games.

But I suspect we'll be seeing (indie) games with deep learning gimmicks in the near future as more and more hobbyists experiment with neural networks and their possibilities. Maybe in enemy AI, maybe in some other features.

Deep learning in 4x when.

If it spares us the indignity of Empire Earth's AI, I'm fine with it.
I like RTS, but in most case, they become more about abusing the AI than getting good at strategy. Sniping the enemy hero in Warlord Battlecry, harassing the enemy in Age of Empires 2, turtling in SupCom...

>more about abusing the AI than getting good at strategy
Videogame AI in a nutshell.

To be fair, some FPS have pretty good idea, so you need to use real strategy. FEAR, for example, is pretty good, you can't hide in a corner and wait for them to come, you need to flank them.

What should i play if i enjoyed Darkwood? STALKER games done already.

Condemned perhaps.

Similar story? Subterrain. That game with the teleportation, glitch or something.

Similar gameplay? Hotline Miami.

It's been long since I played FEAR but I don't remember its AI being worth the hype it got back then. They behaved as a squad instead of individuals and the radio chatter made them seem more human, but they were still dumb and abusable in many maps.

IMO arena shooter bots are the only example of a game AI that isn't particularly abusable, since their gameplay is an easy task for a computer. The moment-to-moment gameplay is mostly based on twitch skill where a computer will always beat a human unless artificially restricted. The only other required skills are map knowledge and the ability to keep item pickup spawn timers in your head. Bots excel in the latter and their routes are usually as good as human players', at least in maps with bot paths predefined by the level designer.

>road
What? I always used to just walk around and kill whoever I met with whatever weapon I had.

Teleglitch is kind of Darkwood's dumber, way less spooky cousin. It's not even a horror game really

>Condemned
Will check.
HM already done, and i'm actually trying Subterrain and failing spectacularly.

But are you having fun?

>games that start on monitor 2 or monitor 3 by default
reeeee

Poker doesn't involve that much bluffing anyways, at least not on the skill level most people are.

The thing is bluffs are only effective against certain kind of skilled players (because unskilled players have no idea what they are doing to begin with and might not pay enough attention) and even then require pretty specific circumstances to be effective and should be used sparingly.

Most of the time it's simple math, risk managment and most importantly dealing with the tilt after bad beats.

I guess so, but failing to keep your contamination in check early on lead you to race for medikit and decontamination pills endlessly until you finally have enough.

Play it again and make different choices.

Taxi, some random indie game

CEPM2-BDB89-28T76

What kind of game is it?

What mod do you recommend for Stardew Valley?

I'll have fun trying to glitch this one later user.

the ones that expand your fridge

What the fuck what his problem?

what about the mod that expand titties

Oh god, this is a real gem.

>I thought this game was really cool at first... until one gameplay mechanic pretty much brought everything to a halt.

>Unlike in Fallout 1 & 2, there is no healing skill that can be used for free without expending limited resources. All resources are extremely precious and limited. However, you can go back to town and get a medic to heal you completely for free, without limit. Pair this with the fact that you can often escape a fight by entering an area transition zone, and you can leave every fight as soon as you take damage, walk back to town, get healed, go back to where you fought that enemy, and continue fighting them, and they haven't healed at all, and that becomes obviously the easiest way to progress in much of the game, and it is *not fun*. The developers should implement a healing skill (like in Fallout 1 & 2) that can be used without expending any limited resources (or perhaps a healing skill that can be used if the player character has a healing kit, and maybe there's a small chance of that healing kit being expended or partially expended). That seems like it would be an easy fix to this serious game-breaking problem.

He's just confused.
I was like him in the beginning, I even thought it's a shit game.

He played it for 15 hours before he posted his review. 15 hours of walking back and forth between combat encounters and the healer. That's incredible.

store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/2095718613767135086

Dashbored got a small update today.

I'm still going through my first playthrough, but he seems like a swell guy who doesn't afraid of anything.

That 10x multiplier really messed my sense of ingame economy.
I fought those bandits from Jack's quest with level one character and tried to avoid using one of those 5 hypos.

but there's so many bandages and medshots or whatever they're called

>oh cool is that a new indie game
>wait nope its another fucking movie
Steam a shit

Gacha is RNG to make the game hard

nah
gacha is rng to make your dick hard

Machine learning is complete bullshit, dont waste a single second of attention on this meme

he's the one who knocked up the pretty lady who gave birth to the great sow. he's incredibly petty about being run off.

Starting LISA the Pointless

... Here's hoping it's good even though you dudes said it's as it says on the tin, "kinda pointless".

I tried this and it works pretty well. I pushed those fuckin church pews over to block the entry ways and just jump in through a window.

>Machine learning is complete bullshit

Reaperbot had no pre placed bot routes, it felt around walls for pathfinding and learned how to move about the maps from the player.
UT had handplaced waypoints and routines placed in maps.

Hes right. There is literally zero reason not to cheese every combat situation like this. Its trivial with the speedhack.

what about the fact that it's boring as shit

Not once you get to Deep Caverns :^)

Wow I kinda ruined it for myself with exit-scumming a few of the harder encounters...

But running back to town all the time? What the fuck.

Machine learning isnt actually teaching machines how to learn. Its completely irrelevant to the subject an AI you could communicate with or play against in a video game.
Dont believe the pop sci hype and educate yourself

what the fuck are you talking about
>Its completely irrelevant to the subject an AI you could communicate with or play against in a video game.
what does this MEAN

keep up

He's a pretty interesting character actually. There are is concrete facts about his background or his motivations, but there is enough info in the game to make speculations.

The most important thing is that he carries a wedding ring that is described as being "fake". You can find 2 real weeding rings that look exactly like his- one in the Pretty Lady's room and the other one in the Hunter's House, worn by a skeleton in a chair.

It's safe to assume the skeleton in the chair is the Hunter. Another very important thing is that you can find an empty empty trophy rack inside Hunter's House, one that looks as if something used to be hung on it.

Another detail that I think is important is that Wolfman's jacket has a hole right where the heart is, suggesting that the previous owner was killed by a bullet.

My personal theory- I believe Wolfman used to feel intense hatred towards the Hunter for some unspecified reason. Perhaps the Hunter tried to hunt him down because of his bestial appearance, maybe it was something more personal, who knows.

Anyways, I believe the Wolfman hated him so much, he decided to not only kill him, but also steal and destroy everything that was dear to him, including his entire identity and his wife, the Pretty Lady. He took his jacket and his rifle and fashioned a fake wedding ring for himself, perhaps as a form of mockery.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the empty trophy rack. It's empty but looks as if something used to hung on it, suggesting that the Wolfman is actually wearing it as a mask. On the other hand, the Protagonist notes that he hears him flapping his tail around, smells wet fur, that his breath stinks of rot. He also licks the Protagonist and actually eats (and possibly rapes) the Pretty Lady.

Perhaps his entire body is that of a wolf except for his head, so he wears the trophy to fully embrance being a Wolfman? Or maybe he just took the trophy away as another form of mockery? Not sure.

>There are is concrete facts
There are no* concrete facts

Use the speedhack. So what if its boring. If it was supposed to be fun then why is there no healing skill then?

Or wouldn't it be more boring to die or get caught up shit creek in a situation where you can't run away, can't heal because you wasted all your hypos, and have no choice but to load an earlier save and replay hours of the game doing the same shit over again.

Best case scenario you made a save every 30 minutes and go back two saves and run back to a healer for every encounter so you still have your 3 hypos left for the big fight.

>There is literally zero reason not to cheese every combat situation like this

> So what if its boring

Following your line of thinking, there is literally zero reason not to spend 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 hours savescumming so you can beat the final boss with your bare fits and no points in unarmed.

>Its trivial with the speedhack

>the game is trivial if you cheat
Gee

>there is literally zero reason not to spend [a gorillion] hours savescumming so you can beat the final boss with your bare fits and no points in unarmed.
I mean, if you were so inclined you should go for it. After all there was that guy who hit level 100 in WoW without belonging to either faction by picking herbs and mining copper.

That's not my point. My point is Ano suggested this being a possiblity somehow makes the game not fun.

I bet that if there was no doctor who offers free healing and if it was not possible to exit an area while in combat, the reviewer would simply complain that it's too hard and "unfair".

It seems that many/most(!) players will cheat/cheese if it's too easy, even if it means it will completely ruin the rest of the game for them.

Why does Starship Theory have two seemingly identical .exes? Version 1.0q

Playing LISA: The Pointless, and it did that thing LISA does there areas change visually between visits.

Very powerful, very interesting.

Note to self: Do that it own game.

There's still a metric ton of hypos, the really scarce things are repair kits/bullets and you can get those easily if you played it nice with the Faceless.

>stumble through the Church on my way to the old forest hideout
>some nigger tells me the code
>alright that's cool, but It's almost night I need need to get back home
>leave to the hideout
>come back later
>mfw he isn't telling me the code anymore
Am I fucked?

>old forest
fuck, I meant old woods

abigail a cute

nevermind, I brute forced my way through it by piecing together what I remembered.

Have you tried checking in the journal?

Yeah, I didn't see any entry involving the guy or a church door code.

Lewd.

VA-11 HALL-A was originally made for a Game Jam. Is this available to play, anywhere?

This is a PSA to all new Darkwood players. You can throw empty bottles to create broken glass that hurts enemies who step in it. 2-3 will almost kill a stick savage and it's a hell of a lot less costly than bear traps.

Zerotonin made two new games.
lab.serotoninphobia.info/completeguide.html
lab.serotoninphobia.info/thisgamewill.html

They also can't harm you in any way, which is a huge plus.

I find that scrap metal's a lot easier to come by than empty bottles though, and depending on what you use it for, you don't necessarily get a bottle back from every alcohol. And Trader doesn't offer bottles OR alcohol. So I wouldn't call them less costly, assuming you mean by rarity. Although bottles are less generally useful for much else, unlike scrap metal.

Thanks for the lenghty (you), I lost patience with the game so I missed a lot of lore.

You need a ton of scrap to repair your axe and shovel and to upgrade the axe.

Tell me about him. Why does he wear the mask?

Why did he call me a liar?

Darkwood question, dropping items on the floor of my house disappear if I leave it? wardrobe is full of shit

this second game kek

Generally, when mean things are scratched onto the dead body of someone, it's referring to the dead man

Everything stays everywhere forever, except in very special circumstances, I believe. Gas in any generators or saws will be drained if you go to a different hideout and come back though.

If gas drains it's pretty slow. Just came back to hideout 2 after spending 2 nights at #3 and my #2 generator was still filled with just under 3 nights of fuel.

Thanks guys

>gas in generators or saws will be drained
Yeah what the fuck. I figured someone was stealing my gas

Why is the shotgun in Darkwood so fucking satisfying, damn.